National Football League Thread

cmgravekeeper

Wow what a finish in the Bears vs Broncos game, Broncos get td then 2 to take lead, yet Trubisky leads the Bears down into fg and they get timeout with 1 second left to nail the game winning 53yrd field goal. Its early but maybe the Bears have finally found there kicker.

And i wonder if Brees is out for any amount of time how the Saints will go after looking awful when he was out today

4 minutes ago, kidson2004 said:

Ok by a show of hands: who thought the Rams were going to blowout the Saints? 

It honestly would have been a different game if Brees was there but the moment he went down the team went with him. Rams were already in their head from that point on and that blown call most certainly killed any morale they had left

7 minutes ago, kidson2004 said:

Ok by a show of hands: who thought the Rams were going to blowout the Saints? 

Win? Yes. Blowout? No.

But is a score of 27-9 really a blowout? When the score was fairly close for much of the game?

The two games I would call a blowout were New England over Miami 43-0 and San Francisco over Cincy 41-17. Those games were over EARLY.

7 hours ago, TheLakota said:

Fans had nothing to do with the change (Payton is on the competition committee). 

Yeah, I'm guilty of messaging during game time and ignored my self-imposed Internet Gag Rules ( no messaging during your team's game, and post-game until at least three hours, when alcohol and anger have subsided - Hopefully). Sorry NOLA fans.

But Payton on the Competition Committee after Bountygate?!? That's like putting oil money whore Scott Pruitt in charge of the EPA! Oh wait...:facepalm:

7 hours ago, djb5f said:

Yeah, the whole review system of a subjective call just seems shady.  And that it can happen on all scoring plays?  Terrible.  Reminds me of when they bungled the whole “completing the catch” nonsense which only resulted in no one knowing what was a catch or not anymore.  Thank goodness, they scrapped that.

It's exactly like that. Nobody knows what's going on. The coaches are flummoxed, the field referees have no confidence. Everyone is at the mercy of Oz in the Instant Replay booth. This is the 100th year of the NFL, in the previous 99 years, that Vikes touchdown counts. Now why bother celebrating a TD when some schmo in the NY home office is just going to hit delete? 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Cassylvania said:

That was bullshit. If they can call it on a scoring play, then they should call it on a turnover, because there was defensive PI on the Packers' interception (something that actually DID affect the play). Better yet, don't call it at all. 

It doesn't take away the fact that Cousins is hurting this team. I don't hate him, but he's too erratic to be a franchise quarterback.

If that's offensive PI, then it's also defensive holding bc the Packers defender is impeding Cook in running his route. It's ridiculous. It's one thing to have PI be a challenge call where if a team wants to risk a timeout, go for it. But it should never go to booth review. 

Cousins gets rattled when he gets pressured. And our O line is still bad at pass blocking, though not as atrocious as last year. Keenum found success two years ago by scrambling, boot-legging and buying time to let receivers break the coverage. Cousins doesn't have the gift of improvisation. He seems to lose his edge when he gets knocked down a bunch in the first quarter.

And he has a raging case of Daunte hands. :( Dude fumbles at least once a game.

• Like 1

Last week Minnesota absolutely abused Atlanta, especially in the first half.

I thought Philly might do the same to them, but it was Atlanta that brought out the physicality. Gotta hand it to them.

Teams that start out 0-2 have made the playoffs about 10% of the time, and the NYG are the only 0-2 team to have won the Super Bowl. Atlanta avoids trying to beat those odds.

2 hours ago, PerryToxteth said:

Yeah, I'm guilty of messaging during game time and ignored my self-imposed Internet Gag Rules ( no messaging during your team's game, and post-game until at least three hours, when alcohol and anger have subsided - Hopefully). Sorry NOLA fans.

But Payton on the Competition Committee after Bountygate?!? That's like putting oil money whore Scott Pruitt in charge of the EPA! Oh wait...:facepalm:

I don't watch football anymore, so go be a twat to someone else. 

9 hours ago, TheLakota said:

I don't watch football anymore, so go be a twat to someone else. 

That was uncalled for. 

You can support Sean Payton as a great football coach (because he is); but the reality is that he was the first and only NFL head coach to be suspended for an entire season. He tried to cover-up his DC's bounty system and he lied to investigators. Those are facts. 

I come here to read amusing, enlightening, educational, inane, posts about the NFL with what usually amounts to a fun community. I hope that can continue. 

- In other news, the Patriots are outscoring opponents 76-3. Those are Alabama non-conference numbers! 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, skidmarkgn said:

With about the same degree of difficulty so far.  :blink:

Pittsburgh nearly beat Seattle and likely would have with Big Ben but agree they aren't going anywhere.  Seahawks either barely scraping by lowly Bengals and Steelers.  Bears are a fraud as well.

Yes, I know, Week 2 "hot takes".

NFC Playoff teams - Cowboys, Eagles, Packers, Vikings, Rams, Saints (by virtue of bad division)

11 minutes ago, kidson2004 said:

Big Ben’s out for the year. One has to wonder if this is the end of his playing days. And my Eagles lost (although it was a good game) and my Browns play tonight. I’m hoping they beat the Jets. 

If the over-hyped Browns don't beat the Jets (with a backup QB), they should move to Baltimore again!

1 hour ago, djb5f said:

Pittsburgh nearly beat Seattle and likely would have with Big Ben but agree they aren't going anywhere.  Seahawks either barely scraping by lowly Bengals and Steelers. 

I Seattle's defense, that's what they do, they never really blow anyone out and they're also almost never blown out.  They keep games close for 3 quarters and usually pull away in the 4th.  I'm not saying they've had it hard (and it's looking like they're getting even more help against the Saints next week) but I'll reserve judgement until after the Rams game in a few weeks.  Right now though, I'd pick them over the Vikings to make the playoffs, possibly the Eagles too (those injuries are piling up).

3 minutes ago, skidmarkgn said:

I Seattle's defense, that's what they do, they never really blow anyone out and they're also almost never blown out.  They keep games close for 3 quarters and usually pull away in the 4th.  I'm not saying they've had it hard (and it's looking like they're getting even more help against the Saints next week) but I'll reserve judgement until after the Rams game in a few weeks.  Right now though, I'd pick them over the Vikings to make the playoffs, possibly the Eagles too (those injuries are piling up).

Yup....teams that start 2-0 historically make the playoffs 55% of the time. The NFC West has three of them......throw in Green Bay and Dallas and that makes 5 out of 6. And somebody has to win the South (but it won't be Carolina).

Carolina has a new owner that will not tolerate losing.......I expect some major changes coming their way after the season ends.

2 minutes ago, PsychicVibe said:

Yup....teams that start 2-0 historically make the playoffs 55% of the time. The NFC West has three of them......throw in Green Bay and Dallas and that makes 5 out of 6. And somebody has to win the South (but it won't be Carolina).

Carolina has a new owner that will not tolerate losing.......I expect some major changes coming their way after the season ends.

55% is barely over half so most likely of those 5 teams, only 3 will make the playoffs.  Thinking Seattle and SF get left out.

1 minute ago, djb5f said:

55% is barely over half so most likely of those 5 teams, only 3 will make the playoffs.  Thinking Seattle and SF get left out.

We have a friendly disagreement here. I suppose the Vikings and/or Bears can make it in, but I don't like the QB play on either of those teams.

All Russell Wilson does is win, and San Francisco's offense is truly dynamic.

3 minutes ago, PsychicVibe said:

We have a friendly disagreement here. I suppose the Vikings and/or Bears can make it in, but I don't like the QB play on either of those teams.

All Russell Wilson does is win, and San Francisco's offense is truly dynamic.

Yes, could easy be a 2nd team from the West.  And agree that Vikes and Bears have suspect QB play.