National Football League Thread

cmgravekeeper

4 minutes ago, majob said:

*Ahem

Fuck the refs and no one can deny the calls and no calls in this game were bullshit. 

The one thing I learned from this forum (and others), fans always feel that refs always cost their teams the game.  I feel it some too for my team but in truth there are several close or missed calls in every game - and in close games, they always feel like the deciding factor.  

Edited by djb5f

Just now, djb5f said:

the one thing I learned from this forum (and others), the refs always cost their teams the game.  I feel it too for my team but in truth there are several close or missed calls in every game - and in close games, they always feel like the deciding factor.

No doubt but this game was so blatant I can't help  but feel every officiator in this game should be suspended. No PI called for Marvin Jones. Flowers called for TWO facemasks he didn't even do. Kerryon not given forward progress. The Packers touchdown being given when the receiver was clearly down before reaching the goal line. This game was horseshit. 

1 minute ago, djb5f said:

the one thing I learned from this forum (and others), the refs always cost their teams the game.  I feel it too for my team but in truth there are several close or missed calls in every game - and in close games, they always feel like the deciding factor.

In this case, it's true.  10 points came from terrible calls on 3rd downs extending GB's drives, both of which ended in scores, and that's coming from someone with no dog in the fight.  I'm sure Packers fans will point to some ticky-tacky meaningless calls or non-calls but the Lions weren't gifted the game from the refs, the Packers were.

Honestly, just make EVERYTHING challengable, if they're worried about pace of play (which is sooooo great with the way things are right now) then take the # of challenges down to 1, period.  Get it right, still no more challenges.  If anything it seems like it would help pace of play because coaches would keep the red flags in their pockets until absolutely necessary.  More small calls and mistakes might get through because of the limit but obvious, game altering mistakes, would be down.  Fair trade IMO.

1 minute ago, majob said:

No doubt but this game was so blatant I can't help  but feel every officiator in this game should be suspended. No PI called for Marvin Jones. Flowers called for TWO facemasks he didn't even do. Kerryon not given forward progress. The Packers touchdown being given when the receiver was clearly down before reaching the goal line. This game was horseshit. 

yeah, I was not watching all of it because of the baseball playoffs and some gaming but the 2 illegal hands to the face and the missed PI certainly loom large.  watch it lead to another off-season rules change ala the PI one, not that it would relieve the sting from tonight,

Not 100% sure Kerryon got in on the 1stQ TD where the refs were confused but probably not enough there to see on replay.

13 minutes ago, majob said:

*Ahem

Fuck the refs and no one can deny the calls and no calls in this game were bullshit. 

I agree 2 terrible calls on Flowers, though I will say all those missed redzone opportunity’s that we’re just fg’s did hurt you too

Just now, djb5f said:

yeah, I was not watching all of it because of the baseball playoffs and some gaming but the 2 illegal hands to the face and the missed PI certainly loom large.  watch it lead to another off-season rules change ala the PI one, not that it would relieve the sting from tonight,

Not 100% sure Kerryon got in on the 1stQ TD where the refs were confused but probably not enough there to see on replay.

Kerryon catches a pass from Stafford and runs with it, dropping it mid run, but according to the referee, it's an incomplete pass.

Just now, Conker said:

I agree 2 terrible calls on Flowers, though I will say all those missed redzone opportunity’s that we’re just fg’s did hurt you too

The Packers scored 10 points off bad flags. The Lions reduced to field goals or not, that game was cheated from them. I don't mean to sound salty but this is second game I've seen with bullshit calls cost the Lions this season and a Lions fan will tell you that this happens FAR too often to the Lions specifically.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, majob said:

Kerryon catches a pass from Stafford and runs with it, dropping it mid run, but according to the referee, it's an incomplete pass.

Yeah I thought he fumbled it and should've been a 1st down. The 2 face masks calls were silly. Clearly not face masks in the replay.

Detroit causes 3 TOs and doesn't turn the ball over and still can't win. I'm not a Lions fan, but man, is that disappointing!

6 minutes ago, Conker said:

6 minutes ago, majob said:

The Packers scored 10 points off bad flags. The Lions reduced to field goals or not, that game was cheated from them. I don't mean to sound salty but this is second game I've seen with bullshit calls cost the Lions this season and a Lions fan will tell you that this happens FAR too often to the Lions specifically.

In my sports career of 50+ years I have found that umpires and referees tend to have a bias towards teams and players who have repeated and continuing success in their league.

In addition, they tend to have a similar bias against such who have been perennial losers. It's not right.....but it is just like the bias against visitors and for home teams and players.

So for Detroit, it was BOHICA.

I hope for Detroit that they stay the course and keep fighting. Their fortunes are on the rise.

2 hours ago, skidmarkgn said:

In this case, it's true.  10 points came from terrible calls on 3rd downs extending GB's drives, both of which ended in scores, and that's coming from someone with no dog in the fight.  I'm sure Packers fans will point to some ticky-tacky meaningless calls or non-calls but the Lions weren't gifted the game from the refs, the Packers were.

Honestly, just make EVERYTHING challengable, if they're worried about pace of play (which is sooooo great with the way things are right now) then take the # of challenges down to 1, period.  Get it right, still no more challenges.  If anything it seems like it would help pace of play because coaches would keep the red flags in their pockets until absolutely necessary.  More small calls and mistakes might get through because of the limit but obvious, game altering mistakes, would be down.  Fair trade IMO.

I kindly disagree... Look for example how Shanahan had to challenge twice on early games cause refs didn't see players out of bounds for something like 20 yards a game... I'm not sure it's a "small" trade.

They need to do better. Or they need to booth challenge this things out of 2 minute warnings.

9 hours ago, PsychicVibe said:

In my sports career of 50+ years I have found that umpires and referees tend to have a bias towards teams and players who have repeated and continuing success in their league.

In addition, they tend to have a similar bias against such who have been perennial losers. It's not right.....but it is just like the bias against visitors and for home teams and players.I

As someone who follows ACC hoops closely, you see it all the time with Duke and North Carolina.  They get the benefit of the doubt of the calls for sure, largely I think to what you stated.

And then the NBA has totally separate rules for the star players (LeBron, Harden, etc) than a role player.

13 hours ago, majob said:

I feel you're frustration, but as a fellow fan of a NFC North team, you can't be all that surprised. There is something about Lambeau that gets referees to go flag-happy in favor fo GB. Know what an Aaron Rodgers Drive is? When The Packers get two or more PI calls in a series. And this has been going on since the Favre years.

Some reporter explained the Flowers penalties as "Illegal Hands to the Face," not a  Facemask penalty. According to the NFL rules, the hands to the face rule implies the head and neck area, and by the letter of the law, Flowers had a sustained hold in the neck area.  Now does this EVER get called? I can't recall a game within the last couple years where I've seen a similar penalty, much less two. So Lions fans absolutely have a right to gripe. But technically, it was a penalty. It's similar to the Booth penalty the Vikes got on a TD vs. Green Bay in Week Two. Technically, in the rule book, , it was a penalty. Does it ever get called? No. And especially by the booth, and not the officials on the field.

But welcome to Lambeau! Where the referees must chug as much paint thinner as the Packer patrons in the pre-game. 

4 hours ago, djb5f said:

As someone who follows ACC hoops closely, you see it all the time with Duke and North Carolina.  They get the benefit of the doubt of the calls for sure, largely I think to what you stated.

As a Tar Heel alum, I have to disagree. It's pretty blatant that Dook gets ALL the calls. :P

Just curious, as I know you are in Virginia, any chance you have any connections to Blacksburg? 

13 hours ago, Zio_Sam87 said:

I kindly disagree... Look for example how Shanahan had to challenge twice on early games cause refs didn't see players out of bounds for something like 20 yards a game... I'm not sure it's a "small" trade.

They need to do better. Or they need to booth challenge this things out of 2 minute warnings.

If just do better was a realistic fix I'd 100% be on board with 'ya, but it isn't.  Something needs to change, whether it be full time refs who are thoroughly trained, using a sky judge, eradicating half of the damn rule book, changing the challenge rules or like you said, more booth challenges, I don't care which one (or all) they do, just do anything.

2 hours ago, PerryToxteth said:

As a Tar Heel alum, I have to disagree. It's pretty blatant that Dook gets ALL the calls. :P

Just curious, as I know you are in Virginia, any chance you have any connections to Blacksburg? 

Heck no, try to stay away from Cow Country as much as possible.  But I will say the National Champion Virginia Cavaliers has a nice ring to it! ?

They have been called “Carolina Refs” for decades and someone did an analysis that showed foul calls heavily favored the Tar Heels historically.  The ACC commish came out and said, well of course they foul less, they have better players.  This is somewhat true historically of course but the jerseys they wear also provide an officiating boost.  The star teams/players get the benefit of the doubt calls.

I agree, Duke under K is the worst.  Nothing redeemable about that program.  Zion seems like a good enough dude but he was bought - and the “greatest team” ever did not make the Final Four.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, djb5f said:

Heck no, try to stay away from Cow Country as much as possible.  But I will say the National Champion Virginia Cavaliers has a nice ring to it! 1f609.png

They have been called “Carolina Refs” for decades and someone did an analysis that showed foul calls heavily favored the Tar Heels historically.  The ACC commish came out and said, well of course they foul less, they have better players.  This is somewhat true historically of course but the jerseys they wear also provide an officiating boost.  The star teams/players get the benefit of the doubt calls.

I agree, Duke under K is the worst.  Nothing redeemable about that program.  Zion seems like a good enough dude but he was bought - and the “greatest team” ever did not make the Final Four.

'Cow Country?' I thought that was in Raleigh. :P I'm actually heading to Blacksburg this weekend for the UNC-VT game and was searching for ideas on campus landmarks to see or culinary institutions to eat/imbibe at. 

But it seems you are a Blue Blood, just the one without the multiple championship banners. <_< Honestly, getting to Charlottesville is high on the to-do list. From pictures, it looks like one of the nicest campuses in America.  Someday...

As for Carolina getting all the calls, I've watched games closely for biased calls and what I see more often that bias, is players out of position compared to teams that have better players.  Generally, teams are generating tons of fouls when players are out of position. It's probably a combination of coaching, fundamentals, athleticism, technique, etc. But yes, if you are trying to get to a spot on the court and you are slow in getting there compared to your opponent, it's likely to be called a foul. If your players think quick enough to see the developing play, and athletic enough to get there first, you are going to win in the foul ratio.

What bugs me more than biased fouls, is too many fouls, too soon, to put teams in the bonus with minutes to go in halves.  The NCAA just sucks the air out of the ball when both teams are in the bonus with 10 minutes to go. Who wants to watch a Free Throw competition??? 

Congrats on the UVA Championship though! It's a school with a storied hoops history and I'm glad they have a banner to honor that legacy with.

My take on Zion is his family must own stock with ESPN/ABC/Disney. He's not even close to being the best freshman of all-time, yet he is on the ESPN channels all the time! ESPNU was wall-to-wall Dook game replays leading up to the draft. "Coming up on Sportcenter, Zion sneezed in practice! Highlights at 10 p.m."  :facepalm:  Bottom line, he's 6-6 and plays inside. Good luck with that. He'll probably succeed in today's NBA but if he was in the paint battling Kevin Willis, Anthony Mason, Dale Davis, Rick Mahorn, Horace Grant, night after night in the 80s-90s? He's just another Corliss Williamson. 

Alright, back to NFL football. Two key divisional games Sunday. MN at DET and PHI at DAL. The standings will really be affected after those results. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, PerryToxteth said:

'Cow Country?' I thought that was in Raleigh. :P I'm actually heading to Blacksburg this weekend for the UNC-VT game and was searching for ideas on campus landmarks to see or culinary institutions to eat/imbibe at. 

But it seems you are a Blue Blood, just the one without the multiple championship banners. <_< Honestly, getting to Charlottesville is high on the to-do list. From pictures, it looks like one of the nicest campuses in America.  Someday...

As for Carolina getting all the calls, I've watched games closely for biased calls and what I see more often that bias, is players out of position compared to teams that have better players.  Generally, teams are generating tons of fouls when players are out of position. It's probably a combination of coaching, fundamentals, athleticism, technique, etc. But yes, if you are trying to get to a spot on the court and you are slow in getting there compared to your opponent, it's likely to be called a foul. If your players think quick enough to see the developing play, and athletic enough to get there first, you are going to win in the foul ratio.

What bugs me more than biased fouls, is too many fouls, too soon, to put teams in the bonus with minutes to go in halves.  The NCAA just sucks the air out of the ball when both teams are in the bonus with 10 minutes to go. Who wants to watch a Free Throw competition??? 

Congrats on the UVA Championship though! It's a school with a storied hoops history and I'm glad they have a banner to honor that legacy with.

My take on Zion is his family must own stock with ESPN/ABC/Disney. He's not even close to being the best freshman of all-time, yet he is on the ESPN channels all the time! ESPNU was wall-to-wall Dook game replays leading up to the draft. "Coming up on Sportcenter, Zion sneezed in practice! Highlights at 10 p.m."  :facepalm:  Bottom line, he's 6-6 and plays inside. Good luck with that. He'll probably succeed in today's NBA but if he was in the paint battling Kevin Willis, Anthony Mason, Dale Davis, Rick Mahorn, Horace Grant, night after night in the 80s-90s? He's just another Corliss Williamson. 

Alright, back to NFL football. Two key divisional games Sunday. MN at DET and PHI at DAL. The standings will really be affected after those results. 

UVA is not a blue blood in the truest since but it is nice that we are right in that next tier behind the truest of blue bloods like Kentucky, UNC, Duke, Kansas.  The championship run was marvelous and looking forward to the 30-for-30 that comes about because of the crazy finishes and the redemption story from the year before.  In some ways, similar to what I am seeing with the Washington Capitals and the Nationals now, if you put yourself in position enough times, eventually you break through. 

Fully agree on the FT parades you so often see.  I feel the ACC officials do this more often that other conferences.  It ends up being one make-up call after another.  Let them play!

I have not been to Blacksburg in 15 years but honestly you will likely smell it before you get there.  The smell of cow dung is strong as you approach .  I hope you guys win and I think you probably will as they are not good.  Miami gifted them a win by losing the turnover battle 5-0 and falling behind 28-0, but still could/should have won. 

As for the NFL, The whole NFC is fascinating this year.  Who wins the NFC (L)EAST Cowboys/Eagles, NFC North chaos, NFC W(B)est of 49ers/Seahawks, while the Rams might miss the playoffs!  And Carolina may have found themselves a QB.  Newton is reportedly almost healthy but you can't replace Kyle Allen at this point.

Edited by djb5f
  • Like 1

So after looking at what the Rams gave up to get Ramsey, yeesh.  2017, 2018, 2019, 2020 and 2021, five years of not having a first round pick (unless of course they trade up).  With the money they have tied up in Goff, Gurley and Donald, there's not a better example of "we gotta win now" in the league is there?

Just now, skidmarkgn said:

^^^^ Accidentally hit quote instead of edit.  Whoops.

Edited by skidmarkgn
  • Like 1