National Football League Thread

cmgravekeeper

34 minutes ago, majob said:

And I thought what the Bears gave up for Mack was a fleecing. The Rams have made a Mike Ditka level trade

The "Patriot way", find guys who are considered average to mediocre, coach 'em up, put 'em in a system, turn 'em into stars and ditch 'em when their productivity declines.

The "L.A. way" (and I'm not just talking football here), find the biggest names you can, sacrifice the future to get 'em, hope throwing money at skill positions will fix your real problems.  Giving me Unger + ______ for Graham flashbacks.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, MidnightDragon said:

Hoping Mahomes isn’t out too long.

Also, Flacco sucks! 

Sadly, Mahomes is likely out for the year. Whenever he comes back, let's hope for a full recovery. Bye-bye KC. You are not making the playoffs this year.

And suddenly, the Raiders look like the class of their division.

Also, who hired Flacco? His name is John Elway.

GM Elway sucks. Ownership might ride with the current setup this year but I wouldn't be surprised if he cleans house on Black Monday December 30.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, MidnightDragon said:

Well, never hurts to be positive, right?

As a player, being positive is the way to be. But owners and GMs need to be realistic.

If you are a fan of the Denver Broncos, Miami Dolphins or a Washington Redskins, being positive is a fool's errand. It's find a new team or just submit to the losing.

5 minutes ago, PsychicVibe said:

As a player, being positive is the way to be. But owners and GMs need to be realistic.

If you are a fan of the Denver Broncos, Miami Dolphins or a Washington Redskins, being positive is a fool's errand. It's find a new team or just submit to the losing.

Fair enough. Hoping for the best. Our backup will do for now, but probably will have to get another QB if it's long term.

Seriously, why the hell did they keep Flacco in? Granted, it worked out well for KC, but they should've put in the other QB if nothing else to keep him from being totally beat up.

25 minutes ago, MidnightDragon said:

Fair enough. Hoping for the best. Our backup will do for now, but probably will have to get another QB if it's long term.

Seriously, why the hell did they keep Flacco in? Granted, it worked out well for KC, but they should've put in the other QB if nothing else to keep him from being totally beat up.

Right you are.

And by the way who hired Vic Fangio as a HC?  Oh...yeah...it was Elway.

(Sorry......I'm a Cal Alum,  Class of '77. I remember heckling him when he pitched against us).

4 minutes ago, PsychicVibe said:

Right you are.

And by the way who hired Vic Fangio as a HC?  Oh...yeah...it was Elway.

(Sorry......I'm a Cal Alum,  Class of '77. I remember heckling him when he pitched against us).

Damn, think you're older than I am. xD 

Elway was a hell of a player, but shit as a GM.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, grimydawg said:

There is no structural damage or fractures on the knee.  It looks like just a dislocation.  This is according to sources anyway

Indeed, but they said they need the MRI to see if his ligaments are all right. Hoping for the best. Best case, he'll miss a couple weeks. Worst case? Rather not think about it.

Seeing the rage of Broncos fans is quite amusing. Well, if the Broncos couldn't win at home with Mahomes down....

Edited by MidnightDragon

9 hours ago, PsychicVibe said:

Sadly, Mahomes is likely out for the year. Whenever he comes back, let's hope for a full recovery. Bye-bye KC. You are not making the playoffs this year.

And suddenly, the Raiders look like the class of their division.

I think the Chiefs still make the playoffs? Why? In a weird way, this should help their defense.

In KC's last three losses (NE, IND, HOU; strangely all in Arrowhead), ball control was the opposition's main focus to beat the Chiefs. And it worked. Look at the stats and all those teams had the ball for 10+ minutes more than KC. Those offenses ran and dinked and dunked down the field for long drives, and ate up minutes of the clock. Mahomes would come out, hit a quick-strike bomb and answer, but then the tired KC defense would have to do it all over again. Of course, the KC D is responsible for getting off the field, but in their losses, they are playing twice as many minutes as the offense. 

Now that Mahomes is out, the Chiefs offense is back to looking for singles and doubles, rather than hitting the home run that Mahomes more times than not, provides.  I doubt Matt Moore is going to produce the three-play, 78 yard scoring drives that Mahomes does with ease.  But because the long ball won't be as easy, the Chiefs O will be on the field longer, eat up more time, and get the defense back to playing half the game rather than 2/3 of it. 

Of course, I'm not saying the Chiefs are better w/o Mahomes. The man is a scoring machine; with all his improvisations, he's Pistol Pete on the gridiron. But the Chiefs still have a talented enough team to soldier on without him, and win games to put themselves in a playoff spot in time for Mahomes to come back. 

I know it seems cool to bash on John Elway and his craptacular "luck" when it comes to un-earthing quality QBs, but it's not like he's the only GM in this League who has trouble with that particular position.  There just aren't enough quality QBs to go around, and some teams are just going to get stuck with a run and a glut of mediocre guys.

This isn't meant to absolve John Elway, but I wonder if the narratives I'm reading above would be the same if it were John Doe as Denver's GM.  Because Elway at least keeps throwing shit at the wall hoping that something will stick.  Maybe it's lousy shit he keeps throwing, and maybe some of the moves are terrible in foresight (let alone hindsight), but it's not like he keeps trotting out the same old reject for several years on end -- e.g., Miami with Ryan Tannehill or Cincy with Andy Dalton -- with his fingers crossed that something will get better.

About the only thing Elway has yet to try in his tenure as GM is drafting a guy high in the 1st round.  And I'm not sure he'll get that chance next year given that both Miami and Cincy are probably going to be looking for guys at the top of the 1st round and both teams will be ahead of Denver.  Not that doing so is any guarantee of success, at least if you look at teams like Tampa (Jameis the Rapist) or Tennessee (Marcus Mariota), just to name two teams that semi-recently drafted guys at the very top and will probably be looking for new guys next year.

Yeah, the Broncos are a dumpster fire.  And the GM usually has to take "credit" for that.  But there are a lot of other dumpster fires out there and the Broncos have been to a pair of Super Bowls under his stewardship.  As a lifelong Jets fan who was born several years after Super Bowl III, I'd kill for that level of "failure".

Baker Mayfield and Clay Matthews both have been fined $12,500 for criticizing the officials via social media. My take on this is that the NFL is nothing more than a fix to screw over players and fans and is very highly corrupt to the point that it's all becoming a conspiracy because obviously the NFL is hiding something for sure. Makes me hate the NFL more and watch less of it anymore >:<

Okay, I'm hereby issuing a public apology to Kirk Cousins. I still question your ability to show up in prime time games, but when it's 1 PM on Sundays, you're my man. Cook reminds me of AP in his prime.

Sad to see Marvin Jones' 4 TD day go to waste, but how about the NFC North this year? They're all scary good.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, djb5f said:

woodshed beating, no amount of officiating could help the Raiders in this one.  And Derek Carr is an idiot.

Yeah no doubt.  That sequence before the half (and I'm 100% NOT disputing the turn over) seemed back breaking, and up to that point the Raiders were in it.  Packer are just the better team though, oi I feel dirty having to say that.

Gotta couple of friends who were kind of forced into spending an ass-load of money to go to the Seahawks-Ravens game today, I know my friends showed up for the game, would have been nice if Seattle's players had too.  Light at the end of the tunnel though, Ravens are one of the very few chances to take out the Pats in the AFC so hopefully they'll keep playing at the same level for the rest of the regular season and into the post season.  Get 'em Lamar.