National Football League Thread

cmgravekeeper

3 hours ago, skidmarkgn said:

You and another Lions fan on this site seem to be pretty high up on Diggs, I'm not super familiar with they guy, what's Seattle getting with him?

Diggs isn't Slay but he's a solid and dependable defensive player, a position the Lions are very weak in now that they've traded Diggs. I'm sure he'll do well with the Seahawks but I'm not happy.

Edited by majob

Thoughts on Thursday night's game:

- Vikings play definitely looked uninspired. Probably lucky that Keenum left the game as he was abusing "Pro Bowl" CB Xavier Rhodes. Rhodes has more PI penalties this year than pass deflections (7/3?) and he has become a liability in the secondary. With his high price tag, I wouldn't mind seeing him jettisoned in the off season.

- This game reminds me why players like a full week's rest rather than four days. Both teams were off their games. 

- Vikings OG Pat Elflein accounted for almost as many yards as Dwayne Haskins (30 penalty yards vs. 33 passing yards).  Combine his awful play with disappointing 1st round pick Garrett Bradbury at C and the interior line will give us problems vs. good D lines. Strangely, Titans cast-off FA guard Josh Kline has exceeded expectations. 

- Nice job by Viking fans saluting Adrian Peterson in the fourth quarter. I hope he can creep into the Top 5 rushers this season by passing Curtis Martin. 

- Kirk Cousins would get vilified by fans if he had four fumbles already this season. Yet Diggs has four and he seems to get a free pass. Gripe to the press less, and concentrate harder on protecting the ball, Stefon! 

13 minutes ago, PerryToxteth said:

Nice job by Viking fans saluting Adrian Peterson in the fourth quarter. I hope he can creep into the Top 5 rushers this season by passing Curtis Martin. 

Yeah that really was very classy from the fans last night, probably the best highlight of the whole game :P 

Tomorrow's another one of those games for Seattle that just seems like it's gonna be disappointing.  My gut's saying Seattle either keeps it close and eeks out a lucky win or straight up loses a shootout *this is all assuming Matt Ryan plays*  Seattle's biggest weaknesses (pass rush and pass defense, especially to tight ends) fall right into the Falcons' strengths. If Seattle gives their QB all day to sit back in the pocket he's gonna pick 'em apart.  Time for Clowney and Reed to step up.

Adam Gase and his playcaller -- if they're not one and the same -- need to get their heads out of their asses and modify the Jets' offense to help out Sam Darnold.  You've got a bell-cow running back like Le'Veon Bell and they just don't use him nearly enough.  The offensive line can't pass protect to save their lives and souls and they still insist on dropping back into the pocket and throwing the ball downfield.... when the QB can stay upright long enough to chuck a downfield interception.

Call some draws to counteract the blitzing that New England showed.  Use some bubble screens and quick slants to beat the sort of pass rush the Jaguars put together largely from their Front Four.  Stuff to keep your quarterback healthy (and alive) and to move the chains and to try and stay out of 3rd-and-forever.

Adam Gase is probably safe from getting fired after this season because he won the power struggle this summer and handpicked the new GM.  And it's not his fault that Mike McCagnan made a mess of the roster.  But he's not helping right now.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Conker said:

He confirmed on his Twitter that he’s done for the season. :(

Edited by MidnightDragon

I honestly think the Browns should trade OBJ while they can.  I know he's not the real problem, Baker's more interested in being in every commercial possible instead of learning to throw an accurate pass, the coach displayed some seriously questionable play-calling and clock management skills and... penalties-penalties-penalties-penalties, the problems run deep.  Odell though, while he's super talented, he also seems like a guy who checks out and can't handle it when the chips are down.  Put him on a team like the Patriots, he'd be the greatest receiver in the league, but it seems like trying to put him in a leadership role, or asking him to pick up a team that's down doesn't interest him at all.  I'm sure they could get some pretty good value for him as it stands and I honestly don't think they'd suffer much from losing him. 

Thoughts?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, skidmarkgn said:

I honestly think the Browns should trade OBJ while they can.  I know he's not the real problem, Baker's more interested in being in every commercial possible instead of learning to throw an accurate pass, the coach displayed some seriously questionable play-calling and clock management skills and... penalties-penalties-penalties-penalties, the problems run deep.  Odell though, while he's super talented, he also seems like a guy who checks out and can't handle it when the chips are down.  Put him on a team like the Patriots, he'd be the greatest receiver in the league, but it seems like trying to put him in a leadership role, or asking him to pick up a team that's down doesn't interest him at all.  I'm sure they could get some pretty good value for him as it stands and I honestly don't think they'd suffer much from losing him. 

Thoughts?

I don't see it happening, the Browns have a "Redemption" media narrative going on right now and trading OBJ would shatter the illusion. 

7 hours ago, skidmarkgn said:

Thoughts?

I don't see how Cleveland could get anything close to what they paid to acquire him in the first place.  Nor is this the time of year to try and make that trade because the pool of teams that can absorb his contract is extraordinarily limited and many of those teams aren't any better than the Browns.

It probably would fit as an "addition by subtraction" sort of move, but I don't see it happening.  Not now, and not in this upcoming off-season, either.

8 hours ago, acasser said:

I don't see how Cleveland could get anything close to what they paid to acquire him in the first place.  Nor is this the time of year to try and make that trade because the pool of teams that can absorb his contract is extraordinarily limited and many of those teams aren't any better than the Browns.

It probably would fit as an "addition by subtraction" sort of move, but I don't see it happening.  Not now, and not in this upcoming off-season, either.

I have no idea what the Eagles' cap situation is but they're the team I mainly had in mind.  They're in a close, but losing battle for the division and also in dire need for a deep threat.  If they (somehow) acquired Odell while almost simultaneously getting Jackson back the East could get real interesting real quick.

Edited by skidmarkgn
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, skidmarkgn said:

I have no idea what the Eagles' cap situation is but they're the team I mainly had in mind.  They're in a close, but losing battle for the division and also in dire need for a deep threat.  If they (somehow) acquired Odell while almost simultaneously getting Jackson back the East could get real interesting real quick.

Good call. And they have plenty of cap space. They have the Bears, Dolphins, Redskins and the Giants (twice) left on their schedule. Combine it with their new found punishing running game, and they could become dangerous.

1 hour ago, PsychicVibe said:

Good call. And they have plenty of cap space. They have the Bears, Dolphins, Redskins and the Giants (twice) left on their schedule. Combine it with their new found punishing running game, and they could become dangerous.

With all those teams remaining on their schedule, they don't need Odell and the headaches that he'll bring with him.  And he'll probably generate a whole bunch, because he won't be the focal point of the offense in Philadelphia.

Talented guy, but a "me first" sort of fellow like so many other diva WRs we can name.

1 minute ago, Avatar_Of_Battle said:

I missed the first hour of the Dolphins vs Steelers game.

Did all the Steelers die on the way there and were replaced with the local middle school team, or did the Dolphins summon Shenron and make a wish just before kickoff?

No, that's the Steelers.....they're just sleepwalking while the Dolphins are playing like this is their Super Bowl.

3 minutes ago, Avatar_Of_Battle said:

I missed the first hour of the Dolphins vs Steelers game.

Did all the Steelers die on the way there and were replaced with the local middle school team, or did the Dolphins summon Shenron and make a wish just before kickoff?

I think you overstate the 2019 Steelers.  Just two bad teams.  In other words, standard MNF fare.

1 minute ago, PsychicVibe said:

No, that's the Steelers.....they're just sleepwalking while the Dolphins are playing like this is their Super Bowl.

Just now, djb5f said:

I think you overstate the 2019 Steelers.  Just two bad teams.  In other words, standard MNF fare.

I know the Steelers aren't doing the best this year either, but it was just an unexpected score to come home to. 

5 minutes ago, Avatar_Of_Battle said:

I know the Steelers aren't doing the best this year either, but it was just an unexpected score to come home to. 

Nobody, I mean NOBODY. picked the Fins. Not the ESPN crew, not the ESPN "Experts", not anyone in any of my football pools. Miami has allowed an average of 35 points per game this year.

Mason Rudolph has made some really bad decisions and poor throws.