National Football League Thread

cmgravekeeper

I'm so sorry, I hope this includes when they used to be good to at least balance out some of the pain.  Remembering 80s and 90s 9ers was all that kept me watching in the 2000s.  Well at least you can't blame this one on Shanahan - "It's cool Griff, your leg looks broke, but just go back out there for a few more series against the Seahawks red hot D, nothing bad can happen, I promise!"

Also, remember waaaaay back 3 years ago when people compared RG3 to Andrew Luck... yea...

I swear to christ if Robert wouldn't have gotten hurt, we would have gone all the way that year. Nobody could stop the offense. Nobody. That Hawks game killed my soul a little bit haha. I remember screaming at the tv for Shanahan to take him out.

Unfortunately I am only 18 so I have never gotten to experience any redskins glory  :facepalm:

Yeah, lived in Melbourne in '06, loved it.  I tried Sydney for a week, but it reminded me too much of LA.  Melbourne had the perfect 'big city with small town appeal' feel to it.  I did travel all over the east coast and down to Taz too.  Never got to the west coast... someday.  But yeah, Footy and Rugby matches were just so energetic and fast paced, I loved it.  I enjoyed Cricket too, but I was living in Melbourne during the Commonwealth Games and during the Footy season, so rugby and footy were everywhere and I only went to maybe 2 cricket matches.  Meanwhile I went to like 4 rugby 7s 'Games' matches alone, lol.  Someday I'd love to head back out to Aus too, maybe when the kids are older and can appreciate it like I did :)

Awesome, I've never been to Melbourne but I've heard how good it is. So Sydney is like L.A hey. Sounds like you certainly made the most of your time here.

They're quite good, the footy matches. Even got into the Cricket, nice. Lol you were taken over by footy. Definitely should bring the kids here and take them to the zoos cause they're awesome.

Really excited about my Steelers this year. The offense has a chance to be prolific but (stop me if you've heard this before) the defense has a lot of questions, especially in the secondary. They need a lot of young players to really step up this season - Ryan Shazier and Jarvis Jones in particular. That being said, if the defense can just be average, I think this team can make a serious run. Of course they also play in the most competitive division in football so it's not going to be easy.

The Colts are in the exact same boat as Pittsburgh, actually - I wouldn't be surprised to see both in the AFC Championship and the score be something wild like 51-50, haha. 

Really excited about my Steelers this year. The offense has a chance to be prolific but (stop me if you've heard this before) the defense has a lot of questions, especially in the secondary. They need a lot of young players to really step up this season - Ryan Shazier and Jarvis Jones in particular. That being said, if the defense can just be average, I think this team can make a serious run. Of course they also play in the most competitive division in football so it's not going to be easy.

The Colts are in the exact same boat as Pittsburgh, actually - I wouldn't be surprised to see both in the AFC Championship and the score be something wild like 51-50, haha. 

Exact same with one major exception  :P

My wife and I are going to be at the Seahawks/Steelers game in November.  Can't wait to be in the stadium and vent some frustrations that have been festering for a long-long time.  Who knows, maybe being able to finally host the Steelers and get it all out will finally enable a bunch of us Seahawk fans to finally let it go.

Exact same with one major exception  :P

My wife and I are going to be at the Seahawks/Steelers game in November.  Can't wait to be in the stadium and vent some frustrations that have been festering for a long-long time.  Who knows, maybe being able to finally host the Steelers and get it all out will finally enable a bunch of us Seahawk fans to finally let it go.

I'd have thought going to two straight Super Bowls and winning one might have helped a little :) Some trivia... the last time Seattle scored points on Pittsburgh was in ten years ago in SBXL... of course they only play each other every four years but that's beside the point, haha.

As a Peyton Manning fan, I hope we see the best of him this year, and not the shell of him that we saw near the end of last year.

It's good to meet more Manning fans! Are you a Vol fan as well, or did you start liking him in the NFL?

Anyway, I was shocked to hear him say he has no feeling in his fingertips. As much as I like Manning and want him to break Favre's record, I'm mostly hoping he doesn't get seriously injured this year.

On a more general note, did any team have a worse offseason than the Niners? In fact, i can't think of any team ever who had a worse offseason than the Niners.

I'd have thought going to two straight Super Bowls and winning one might have helped a little :) Some trivia... the last time Seattle scored points on Pittsburgh was in ten years ago in SBXL... of course they only play each other every four years but that's beside the point, haha.

I thought so too, until I saw the Steelers game was in Seattle, then, all bets were off.  We finally get to yell and scream at big Ben and you better believe that stadium's gonna be hostile.  Hopefully both teams get to go into the game healthy and they can give each other Hell... with a Seahawks win in the end of course :P

Packers lost a player this season from a torn ACL I read.  :facepalm:

That's got to be the worst. Not even a game that means anything and you're already out.

That was Jordy Nelson, that really stings because the guy's an incredible player. Same thing happened with Orlando Scandrick during the Cowboys' practice, huge blow since Brandon Carr sucks and they can't depend on him, waste of money getting him from Kansas City.

Anyway, I was shocked to hear him say he has no feeling in his fingertips. As much as I like Manning and want him to break Favre's record, I'm mostly hoping he doesn't get seriously injured this year.

I think it could have been from his neck surgery a couple of years ago.

Edited by Death_Ninja

I had some feeling they would overturn Brady's suspension. While I'm in not a very big football fan, this is getting ridiculous. How many times do you have to get caught blatantly cheating before you wise up.

I heard a quote when this initially happened but forget who said it and it rings very true for all things in life but especially in sports and gaming, what ever happened to the spirit of competition and winning because you were superior? Everyone these days is looking to get some unfair advantage and the majority of people try to justify it logically, it's quite sad to be honest.

I had some feeling they would overturn Brady's suspension. While I'm in not a very big football fan, this is getting ridiculous. How many times do you have to get caught blatantly cheating before you wise up.

I heard a quote when this initially happened but forget who said it and it rings very true for all things in life but especially in sports and gaming, what ever happened to the spirit of competition and winning because you were superior? Everyone these days is looking to get some unfair advantage and the majority of people try to justify it logically, it's quite sad to be honest.

Just what is an "unfair advantage"? Certainly the NFL's process towards Brady was just that, as the Federal judge ruled.

Brady was not caught blatantly cheating. Even the best the NFL could come up with is that he probably knew the balls were under inflated.

I.m all for playing within the rules......but there is no rule against not reporting that a ball is under inflated.

It is Goodell who has the "unfair advantage". The NFL needs to fix the process. Goodell's decisions seem completely arbitrary.

I'm wondering....would you correct an umpire's call even if it was in your favor? Nobody does that.

Do you have a tax attorney? I want an aggressive attorney and not one who will be fair to the government and to me.

And certainly, in the spirit of winning and competition, I want my favorite or local team to be aggressive and push for every advantage the game allows.

As far as gaming goes.........

taking advantage of a game's glitches are certainly fair. It's a little like a pitcher taking advantage of an umpire's low strike zone.

And on boosting: some may think that is cheating. I don't do it.

And hacking and sharing save files is definitely, as you said, ".....quite sad to be honest."

• Like 1

Did you hear the judge's ruling where he pretty much openly mocked the NFL using an "independent investigator" (the judge actually used quotes on that same phrase) ? Did you see how the Judge ruled that the NFL commissioner can't make up his own rules as he he goes along?

This is the 5th straight time that The NFL ruling body\Goodell  have lost a legal battle here , they are 0-5 in court.  The NFL authority is a joke.  

The suspension itself was ridiculous in the first place, especially if the NFL never notified the Patriots (or any other team) in advance to "knock it off" when it came to this stuff.  But my opinion is that the judge was even more ridiculous.

• The players agreed to and ratified the CBA that says Goodell is judge and jury and the appeals court as well.  If they don't like it, tough shit -- you should have fought that when the opportunity was there.
  • If judges know what's good for them, they shouldn't be overturning arbitration, especially an arbitration that followed the rules within the CBA.  Doing so opens up a Pandora's Box for the legal system because it will encourage more aggrieved parties to appeal arbitration processes that were designed to reduce the clutter and clog in the system in the first place.

But I'm no longer surprised when "sports arbitrators" act as little tin gods anymore.  Time and time again, I've seen guys like this judge and Richard Bloch (to name another guy who hears a fair amount of NHL and NFL stuff) completely ignore the Collective Bargaining Agreement and pretty much anything else they want to and invent rules as they go along.

So what's the over/under on how much longer Roger Goodell lasts as Commissioner?  I figure he's gone in no more than a year at this point because he's simply doing too much damage to "the Shield" for Ownership to continue to tolerate.

And can we please get the discussion back to "on-field" stuff?  All this legal bullshit is starting to give me a headache.

Yup, the players saw the dollar signs that came with agreeing to let Goodell make all the decisions and blindly agreed.  Now they're bitching about it being unfair.  Sounds about right for this day and age.

Can't believe it but, somehow, I'm gonna be the biggest Steeler fan on the planet come the Thursday opener.

Woohoo NFL regular season starts tonight :yay:

My Week 1 tips

Patriots over Steelers
Packers over Bears
Texans over Chiefs
Colts over Bills
Dolphins over Redskins
Panthers over Jag
Seahawks over Rams
Cardinals over Saints
Chargers over Lions
Bucs over Titans
Raiders over Bengals
Broncos over Ravens
My Cowboys over Giants
Falcons over Eagles
49ers over Vikings

Edited by The Three Stooges

Steelers-Steelers-Steerlers... tsk tsk.  Any other time the Steelers leave 10 points off the board with two missed field goals and a blown automatic TD that ended up only being a field goal and lose by 7, that'd be a good day.  Against the Patriots though, the evil empire itself, it was pretty lame to watch.

I'm really curious about the meetings the Steelers had when planning for this game.  It must have been somewhere along the lines of:

"now, defensively, we have to make sure to... I don't know, stop the run I guess."

"what about Gronk?"

"don't worry about covering him.  In fact, if you see him just casually walking over to the edge, don't even move, we'll be fine if he's constantly wide open, especially in the red-zone."

"ignore Gronk, got it, anything else?"

"nope, that should cover it.  Now, on 3... 1-2-3 IGNORE GRONK!!"

• Like 1

Obviously a Chiefs fan here. I am glad nobody has really given the Chiefs any consideration. Although Peter King did pick the Chiefs to win the AFC West but lose in the playoffs. I for one (probably biased) think the Chiefs are a very underrated and looked over team. Aside from the Seahawks, Chiefs have the best defense in the game. With Derrick Johnson, Eric Berry, and Mike Devito all coming back from being injured during most the season, plus you add Justin Houston and Tamba Hali, and Dontari Poe, and their first round pick Marcus Peters who could become a shut down corner, throw all this into one defense and they will be a scary team to play. 

The problem will be the Offensive line. If they can keep Alex smith protected enough to find Jeremy Maclin or De'anthony Thomas or Travis Kelce then I believe the Chiefs offense can be very potent. And we can't forget one of the best running backs in the game with Jamal Charles who can do it all. 

All in all my expectation of the Chiefs this year is to at least make the playoffs. They might not be able to dethrone the Broncos or possible even the Chargers this year but I think they are good enough to make a wild card appearance. Hopefully the Chiefs can feed off the Royals success this year. Should be fun to watch though!

http://www.sbnation.com/2015/9/10/9308763/patriots-steelers-coaches-headsets-cheating-deflategate-spygate

At the risk of turning this thread into a whine fest...

Let me just say that this article is by far one of the funniest things I've read all year lmfao.

I guess Brady paid off the NSA to turn the entire stadium into a glitch fest.  uhuhuh-onion-head-emoticon.gif?129286252

I guess Tomlin hearing what the Patriots were saying during the first half was real helpful. Next he'll say that they were taunting him on the other end and they suggested to leave Gronkowski wide open so he took their advice. 

And apparently it "ALWAYS" happens there. lmfao first we're hearing of it why? Because you pissed away a game you had a good chance at winning?

After all the hype for the Mariners before the season started (followed by the same 'ol garbage team on the field) I was hesitant about falling for it twice and getting behind the Seahawks offense.  All the "we got Jimmy", "no more field goals", "who cares about the O-line with all these weapons" talk is just making this Rams game all the more eye-opening I hope.  Right now, the 4th quarter just started and the offense has reached the end-zone exactly zero times.  

It's pretty simple.  When your offensive line is a candidate for the worst in football, bad things happen.  When Wilson is hurried, pressured and sacked every single play and the defensive linemen are constantly in the back-field  to stop the run, bad things happen.  When penalties at the worst possible time keep happening, bad things happen.

I'm not gonna panic after the first game of the season, especially when it's another 10AM road start against an insane defense to open the season (2nd time in 3 years) but this abysmal offensive performance, something that has been a long time problem, is a concern, and it's a concern because the O-line is, once again, disgraceful.

By the way, I know the Hawks have been to back to back Superbowls and my bitching is petty but I'm gonna do it anyways  :devil:

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Aaaaaaaaaaand almost as soon as I'm done typing that they make me look like even more of a dick by putting up 18 unanswered in a matter of minutes.  These damn Rams games.

Guess they'll have to get the inevitable 0-2 start out of the way and take it from there.

Edited by skidmarkgn

@skidmarkgn:  Could you please teach me how to react when one's favorite team's defense forces a turnover?  (Your defense seems to be a good role model even if they didn't show it today.)  After last season, I've plumb forgot how to react because the Jets defense couldn't steal candy from a baby.  Fun Fact:  The Jets scored 20 points off of opposition turnovers all of last season.... and 21 today off all of Johnny Manziel's gifts.

Can we just call him Johnny Pastry Chef to properly appreciate all the turnovers?

I spent the first half wondering how the heck the Jets were in that game.  Cleveland's mediocre quarterbacks were picking apart the secondary when they weren't taking advantage of poor pass rush discipline to run all over Bergen County, New Jersey.  And that Ryan FItzpatrick pick was brutal and only didn't cost the Jets because Brandon Marshall made a heck of a play.  Then the second half came, and while the Jets still couldn't contain Manziel -- Johnny Pastry Chef had a couple of long runs called back by penalty in addition to what yardage he did keep -- that part of the game had a better resemblance to its score.

Watching Ryan Fitzpatrick out there (and Geno Smith and Mark Sanchez and Brett Favre the last seven seasons) makes me miss Chad Pennington.  Sure, Pennington had a limp noodle for a throwing arm and couldn't out-run a turtle, but the guy was smart and accurate and didn't turn the ball over.  If I'm not going to have an elite quarterback to cheer for -- and 2008 Brett Favre wasn't even close to it -- I'd like a guy who doesn't give the ball to the defense every fifteen seconds.  That Fitzpatrick pass had "Interception!" written all over it as soon as it left his hand, the same way a bunch of passes from the other guys I've named have enjoyed the same label.

One other completely irreverent thought:  Detroit picked up right where they left off in the playoffs!  When last we saw them, they were blowing a double-digit lead to the Cowboys.  Today, they blew a big lead in San Diego.

Edited by acasser

Definitely didn't see the Bills, Rams, and Dolphins winning their games today. 

Maybe the Dolphins don't beat a good team the way they seemed to play today, but they were playing the Washington Redskins after all.  It's almost the NFL equivalent of Auburn playing Jacksonville State or something like that.

Tyrod Taylor really surprised me today. As a Bills fan I'm not used to such play from a QB. Orton did well last season, but nothing like this. The second half fell off a little bit, but they held their own. He's not a run-first QB but at the same time he did have a couple of runs I wish he had cut short. 

Really looking forward to the rest of the season. :) For both my team and my fantasy team.