National Football League Thread

cmgravekeeper

5 minutes ago, Matto_lsi said:

Honest question, did they change the playoff seed ranking rules?  I know there was talk of changing it like the NBA did to go off record only and no longer put so much weight on winning a division, but I did a quick search and couldn't find any info.  I ask cause Philly and Dallas are the same division and under the old (current?) rules would still be guaranteed 4th place or better for the division win.  If they have changed the rules, then yey!  I really want to see that happen.  No longer do I want to see teams with 13+ wins in 5th place, and teams with 7 or 8 wins in the playoffs, it's complete BS.

Also, so far so good in tonight's game, hope the Niners keep it up!

The old rules are the current rules. Its likely that either Philly or Dallas will end up with the fourth seed and will play either Minnesota or Seattle in the first round. It places greater emphasis on division games (like tonight's game).

Clowney is having a statement game. GO NINERS!

19 minutes ago, PsychicVibe said:

I'm sure you're feeling better now.

Clowney picked a hell of a time to step up for sure.  Still not comfortable though, the 9ers are too good of a team to ever think they're out of it, that and the RB's fumble-itus returning.

------------------------------

Like I said...

Edited by skidmarkgn

29 minutes ago, skidmarkgn said:

Clowney picked a hell of a time to step up for sure.  Still not comfortable though, the 9ers are too good of a team to ever think they're out of it, that and the RB's fumble-itus returning.

------------------------------

Like I said...

Just another Russell Wilson game. Run around, keep your team close, then make a play to win the game at the end.

I can just hear Howard Cosell saying, "What a ballgame! The back and forth. The ebb and flow!"

4 minutes ago, majob said:

I think we might have just had a preview of the NFCC 

Maybe, though I hope with a slightly different result, lol.  So painful to watch that field goal go wide.  Those 2 Jimmy G fumbles (there were only 2, right? ugh) were also game changers.  So many turnovers on both sides, though that is something the Niners D has been doing to opponents all season.  But all the injuries really hurt the team.  At this rate we might be too banged up to be competitive in January.  I'm not looking forward to the rematch in Seattle.  If this one was close, that one might be a blowout.  Especially considering the opponents the Niners have left.  Cards (again), Pack, Ravens, Saints, and the aforementioned Seattle rematch.  Oof, this could go a lot of different ways.

You certainly want to play to win, but there are times you need to play to avoid losing, and the 49ers coaching staff failed miserably on that with their play-calling in their final drive. Choosing three pass plays ended up in  incompletions and took only 25 seconds off, so the Niners play calls preserved clock for Seattle.

Nobody feels satisfied with a tie, but it's certainly better than a loss to a division opponent. Now if records hold true, and the Niners lose in Seattle, they just lost their home-field advantage. Taking a tie last night keeps that locked up. 

On 11/11/2019 at 2:39 PM, djb5f said:

yes, not quite as bad as the NBA, but stars get the calls.  Rodgers, Brady, Peyton Manning, etc. get them that other normal QBs never do.

Ever since Brady lost that season to injury, the NFL has protected its main asset, the QB.

Honestly, I don't even mind some of the changes. But the "full weight" rule is awful, precisely because it puts the matter as an opinion of an official, and those pieces of junk are so worried about looking bad that they'll flag anything.

1 hour ago, skidmarkgn said:

Wow, Seattle/Philly isn't good enough for SnF so it gets bumped to a 10 A.M. start?  That really sucks.

Not a big surprise, the east is a joke with the cowboys having the worst record of the current division leaders. There are teams in the hunt right now with better records

16 minutes ago, majob said:

Not a big surprise, the east is a joke with the cowboys having the worst record of the current division leaders. There are teams in the hunt right now with better records

Can't deny the east is pretty awful but nationally it still gets the most attention.  I just thought schedule flexing was reserved for pushing out garbage teams who aren't playing for anything at the end of the season so they could be replaced with games that matter, guess I was wrong on that one.

10 minutes ago, skidmarkgn said:

Can't deny the east is pretty awful but nationally it still gets the most attention.  I just thought schedule flexing was reserved for pushing out garbage teams who aren't playing for anything at the end of the season so they could be replaced with games that matter, guess I was wrong on that one.

It's not that odd when you consider the season is halfway done and the playoff picture is almost set. NFL will flex primetime games midway into the season if the matchup doesn't have a hard impact on playoff position. Eagles still have a chance but it's highly unlikely they'll be beating the hawks. Not choice primetime football