National Football League Thread

cmgravekeeper

14 hours ago, djb5f said:

If SF ends up at 10-6, everyone will be talking about what a free-fall they had, that would be a disastrous finish.  5 more regular season losses!?  13-3 is much more realistic. 

As well as the Seahawks and 49ers are playing now, it is still November and teams can play/look very different when the games really start in January.  A little too early to be crowning anyone!  In fact, it would not surprise me to see Seattle (or SF) lose in Wild Card Weekend at Dallas.  Better teams than the Cowboys but we quite often see those overlooked 4 seeds win the first game.

The Patriots offense is a mess but they will only need to win 2 home games in dreary weather (and probably more officiating help) and they are in another Super Bowl.  NFC is loaded by comparison.

With all due respect, a 6-5 team, 0-4 against winning opponent, and with a sorry-yes-man-coach, has much more to prove than every other team in NFC right now.

The day Jerry drops his ego and hire a real coach, maybe he starts to win again since '95

7 hours ago, Zio_Sam87 said:

With all due respect, a 6-5 team, 0-4 against winning opponent, and with a sorry-yes-man-coach, has much more to prove than every other team in NFC right now.

The day Jerry drops his ego and hire a real coach, maybe he starts to win again since '95

I just read an article where the author essentially said 'The Niners are doing good and all, but they're only 1-1 against teams with winning records in the last 2 games they played teams with winning records'.  My jaw quite literally dropped at that insane assessment of this team.  You couldn't manipulate the facts more without straight out lying!  And even then, even with that abortion of journalistic integrity, no mention of the Patriots, who have the same record as the Niners, but who have only played 4 teams with winning records (2 of which are 6-5, so barely counts) and they got destroyed by one, and barely beat two others by 6 and 4 points, respectively (while getting some ref help along the way).  The only impressive win they had against that group was in week 1!  Meanwhile, the Niners have actually beat 4 teams with winning records (4-1), and their one loss was in overtime, cause of a missed field goal.  And yes, I count Carolina as a winning team as they were 4-2 with 4 straight wins when the Niners played them and they were supposedly going to bring the pain.  Well, the pain was brought, to the tune of 51-13, but they were on the receiving end of it.  Additionally, the Niners have had 5 blowout wins (by 20-35 points) and another 3 wins by 10-14 points.  They're not barely scraping by week after week.  Yet they are still getting called out by 'journalists', the same ones who are kneeling in front of NE with their mouths open, praising them for the wonderful job they're doing limping through a cupcake schedule.

So I have to agree, that the Niners really do need to keep winning, and winning big, and ride this semi-dark horse thing as far as it'll get them.  If they can win 1 of their next 2 tough games, maintain focus through the remainder of their schedule, and go into Seattle for their final regular season game at 13-2, then maybe people will give them their fair credit.  But even then, if they lose to Seattle again, that'll be all the 'evidence' the naysayers need.  The Niners will sadly get no benefit of the doubt this season.  Hopefully that keeps motivating them to continue doing what they're doing.

12 minutes ago, kidson2004 said:

So, let’s talk about how Buffalo’s a half game back from the #2 seed in the AFC; and 1.5 games back from the #1 overall seed. December will be telling, and it’s shaping up to have some chaos for sure. 

A good friend of mine who is a lifelong Bills fan said " The Bills are going to win the Superbowl" before the start of this season. I didn't think much of the comment then, looking at where the Bills stand now I feel they do have a solid chance. I wouldn't bet the farm on them going all the way, but I am rooting for them to take the division. 

30 minutes ago, Zio_Sam87 said:

Whoever get the 5th is going to have the easiest wild card game

I'm thinking that will be either San Francisco or Seattle...........and I wouldn't be surprised at all if they both end up in the NFC Championship Game.

16 minutes ago, kidson2004 said:

So, let’s talk about how Buffalo’s a half game back from the #2 seed in the AFC; and 1.5 games back from the #1 overall seed. December will be telling, and it’s shaping up to have some chaos for sure. 

Yup.......lots of great matchups each weekend from here on out.

45 minutes ago, Zio_Sam87 said:

Didn't a lot of people say exactly that some years back when St. Louis and Seattle met on Week 17's Sunday Night Football with the 4th seed on the line and both teams below .500?  Only to watch the Saints get run over by Marshawn Lynch or something like that in the Wild Card Round?

Be careful what you wish for.  You just might get it, and find out it's not really what you wanted to begin with.

3 hours ago, Zio_Sam87 said:

Eagles (they're looking more and more like they'll take the division) are getting healthier and the Cowboys still have a talented roster.  Getting gifted a home game in the playoffs can also make a huge difference.  Straight up definition of "trap game".

2 minutes ago, MidnightDragon said:

Garrett and Quinn's seats are getting a LOT hotter. 

I doubt Jerry Palpatine will fire Garrett, but it is the final year of his contract.  If they miss the playoffs they just won't renew him, if they make the playoffs then see what happens I guess.

5 hours ago, acasser said:

Didn't a lot of people say exactly that some years back when St. Louis and Seattle met on Week 17's Sunday Night Football with the 4th seed on the line and both teams below .500?  Only to watch the Saints get run over by Marshawn Lynch or something like that in the Wild Card Round?

Be careful what you wish for.  You just might get it, and find out it's not really what you wanted to begin with.

Yup, that was the 2010 Seahawks, who won the division at 7-9 but beat the 11-5 Saints with Marshawn Lynch's Beast Quake run. 

Well Bears got it done, barely, Lions lead yet another game and still lose, Blough looked decent

My Cowboys were completely trash, Garret’s hot seat is steaming now, whilst Wow Buffalo are legit good this year, Josh Allen is playing great along with the defense and the ageless frank gore, cannot wait to see how they go against the Ravens

Well Saints got it done to clinch the division on thanksgiving, which is absolutely crazy but the highlight had to be the Falcons recovering 2 “3” on-site kicks, it still is possible 

10 hours ago, PsychicVibe said:

I'm thinking that will be either San Francisco or Seattle...........and I wouldn't be surprised at all if they both end up in the NFC Championship Game.

I'm not sure but if they end at 1st and 5th (whoever), they should meet ad divisional playoff (unless the 6th win his wild card game). They should end something like 2nd and 5th to end up in the NFCC.

10 hours ago, acasser said:

I don't think 2010 Seattle ended 0-5 against winning team (and 0-1 against the Jets)... And yes-man-garrett is all but Carroll (and Elliot all but Lynch)

Edited by Zio_Sam87

6 hours ago, SnakeonaBoat said:

Yup, that was the 2010 Seahawks, who won the division at 7-9 but beat the 11-5 Saints with Marshawn Lynch's Beast Quake run. 

The Cardinals also made the Super Bowl out of the 4th seed at 9-7.  The NFC West was so bad for so long.

The Cowboys will beat the Seahawks (Just like last year) in the 4-5 game.  Assuming the Cowboys hold off the Eagles.  SF is too talented defensively so I don’t think Dallas could handle that.

11 hours ago, Avatar_Of_Battle said:

I know Dallas plays every Thanksgiving, but do they always play after such a short break? I feel like 3 extra days of rest would've been beneficial.

EDIT: Lol didn't realize the Lions played 4 days ago too. Guess it was even field.

This is one of the big problems with the NFL schedule:  Virtually every team playing on a Thursday night has played the Sunday before, with the exception of the Week 1 matchup and (these days) the matchup the week after Thanksgiving -- when they pluck two of the six teams that play on Thanksgiving and make them play the following Thursday.  The players don't like it and haven't been shy about expressing such, and it's not good from the vantage point of player health and safety and getting better football.

What the NFL ought to do is to have any team playing on a Thursday have a bye the weekend before, excepting the season-opening matchup.  It means writing the schedule somewhat differently, including spreading out the byes and having a couple on Week 1, but I think it would make for better football and such, not to mention the ability to put some more compelling matchups on a Thursday night because now you could get rid of that ridiculous codicil in the scheduling rules that says teams cannot travel more than one time zone away for a Thursday night game. (Something that was put in after the Jets got Tebow'ed in Denver one year on a short week.)  Heck, add another week to the schedule if necessary, make it 18 weeks with each team getting two bye weeks, and use the extra space to spread things out and all that.

I know it's all about the money and that's why things are the way they are, but there are ways to finesse things to improve the rest of the product.

2 hours ago, acasser said:

make it 18 weeks with each team getting two bye weeks, and use the extra space to spread things out and all that.

The owners are already in discussions about making the season longer, probably because of the reasons you just made. Personally, I find Thursday Night football to be pointless. Monday has history behind it but Thursday exists solely to just have more football on air and ad revenue and I'd personally get rid of Thursday Night games altogether. The matchups are terrible, the games are lackluster because both teams are tired and the games switch airing stations so often that it's a hassle to keep up with who has rights anymore.

On 11/28/2019 at 4:44 PM, Zio_Sam87 said:

Under normal circumstances I'd agree, but considering all the teams in the last 10 years who have finished with average to downright terrible records and gone on to win 1 or more playoff games, including the 7-9 Seahawks winning a home playoff game, and some teams who won the super bowl from the 5th/6th spot with awful records (10-6 Packers, 9-7 Giants, 10-6 Giants), I'd say anything is possible.  Any given sunday, right?

On 11/28/2019 at 5:00 PM, kidson2004 said:

In my small real life football friends circle I've been talking about this for weeks.  No one, absolutely NO ONE is talking about the Bills, but they should be.  The Bills have 3 very tough games remaining on their schedule, but one of those is against the Patriots.  The Patriots, who I truly believe are good but overrated this year, have 3 equally tough games remaining.  If they lose one more than the Bills, AND the Bills beat them, they have the potential to take the division on tie-breakers (as it would come down to common games, so the Bills would have to beat the Ravens and the Steelers), although they also might be able to simply pass them and take 1st as I think the Pats are due for a couple late losses here.  Even if they don't, the Bills are going to be the AFC wildcard team no one wants to face, and they might get a 3rd game against the Pats in the playoffs.  Chaos, indeed.

10 hours ago, acasser said:

This is one of the big problems with the NFL schedule:  Virtually every team playing on a Thursday night has played the Sunday before, with the exception of the Week 1 matchup and (these days) the matchup the week after Thanksgiving -- when they pluck two of the six teams that play on Thanksgiving and make them play the following Thursday.  The players don't like it and haven't been shy about expressing such, and it's not good from the vantage point of player health and safety and getting better football.

What the NFL ought to do is to have any team playing on a Thursday have a bye the weekend before, excepting the season-opening matchup.  It means writing the schedule somewhat differently, including spreading out the byes and having a couple on Week 1, but I think it would make for better football and such, not to mention the ability to put some more compelling matchups on a Thursday night because now you could get rid of that ridiculous codicil in the scheduling rules that says teams cannot travel more than one time zone away for a Thursday night game. (Something that was put in after the Jets got Tebow'ed in Denver one year on a short week.)  Heck, add another week to the schedule if necessary, make it 18 weeks with each team getting two bye weeks, and use the extra space to spread things out and all that.

I know it's all about the money and that's why things are the way they are, but there are ways to finesse things to improve the rest of the product.

While I'm sure the NFL would never listen to fans, much less check these boards, or any really, I've been saying this for years and they have yet to listen, heh.  It can't possibly be that hard to make a schedule where the 2 teams playing on Thursday are coming out of their bye-week for the vast majority of Thursday night matchups.  Also, later in the season, we tend to get Saturday night games instead of Thursday (speaking of that upcoming Bills v Pats matchup, lol), so it'd really only be the 2nd and 3rd week of the season before bye weeks begin when the unlucky few teams who play Thursday would have a short week and they could just delay them a few weeks in that case.  But for all the NFL's talk of player safety, they have these terrible Thursday night matchups that drastically increase the risk for players with really no upside for anyone, including fans.  Rushing home from work for a 5:30pm (west coast) kick-off is unreasonable.  A lot of industries don't close up at 5pm anymore either.  There's times I've missed entire games before I even get out of work.  Thursday night is usually a crunch time before the weekend.  As mentioned, Monday Night is a tradition, and it's only 1 day different.  But Thursday just makes no sense.  I don't really care for these games to begin with, but the NFL really isn't fooling anyone when they promote TNF and then pretend to care about their players.

4 minutes ago, MidnightDragon said:

Ex-NFL QB Terrelle Pryor was stabbed in the chest last night and is currently in critical condition. A woman was arrested in connection with the stabbing.

https://news.yahoo.com/report-terrelle-pryor-in-critical-condition-after-being-stabbed-in-heart-153244877.html

Damn, I’m praying he pulls through.