National Football League Thread

cmgravekeeper

5 hours ago, kidson2004 said:

Damn, I’m praying he pulls through. 

He had surgery and is expected to recover.  Not sure of his condition, like if he'll be fine and can play or if he'll have to retire, but he's definitely expected to survive.

Also, I remember this dude from his days as QB in Oakland.  When did he become a WR?

I have to eat some crow when it comes to Lamar Jackson. I was not a believer at all but he is without question the MVP so far this season. That said I'm not sure how long his style of play can hold up. He takes a lot more hits than the average QB does do to his style.

Another missed field (well, this one was blocked) and another loss by a single field goal.  Again Jimmy G takes a strip sack deep in his own end that costs the team a huge score.  These mistakes, which happened in BOTH losses, need to be corrected.  Jimmy has to learn how to hold onto the football.  These plays are the difference makers in these big games.  Doesn't matter what their record is at the end of the year, if these mistakes happen in the playoffs, the Niners are going nowhere.

The Bengals get win 1 defeating the Jets 22-6 in Daltons return to starter

Ravens win the big game by 3 to move to 10-2, whilst 49ers move to 10-2 both with big games next week 

The Tannehill Titans continue to win after beating the Colts, he has revived his career there 

Steelers win against Browns 

Edited by Conker

So if Seattle wins tomorrow NO bumps up to 1 and they become the 2 seed right?   And if Minnesota wins they stay at 5 and the 2nd Green Bay game becomes huge... right?   And next week's NO/San Fran game will be for #1? Or will Green Bay factor in there?  I guess what I'm trying to figure out is if both Seattle and San Fran win every game leading to week 17 (which is a tall order as it is) then their game will decide who's the 1 seed or can another team squeeze in there?

1 minute ago, Yuna4353 said:

The cowboy fan inside of me is happy that the Eagles lost but on the other hand, Eagles shouldn't have lost at the same time because it was the dolphins. I honestly think that Eagles are going to get NFC East because Dallas has serious coaching problems 

the way the division is going the Redskins at 3-9 will come up and win it xD 

• Like 1

On 11/29/2019 at 0:10 PM, majob said:

The owners are already in discussions about making the season longer, probably because of the reasons you just made. Personally, I find Thursday Night football to be pointless. Monday has history behind it but Thursday exists solely to just have more football on air and ad revenue and I'd personally get rid of Thursday Night games altogether. The matchups are terrible, the games are lackluster because both teams are tired and the games switch airing stations so often that it's a hassle to keep up with who has rights anymore.

they experimented with 2 byes so an 18 week schedule and it was generally panned.  The inventory of good games each week was pretty light.  I think it only lasted one season?

2 hours ago, skidmarkgn said:

So if Seattle wins tomorrow NO bumps up to 1 and they become the 2 seed right?   And if Minnesota wins they stay at 5 and the 2nd Green Bay game becomes huge... right?   And next week's NO/San Fran game will be for #1? Or will Green Bay factor in there?  I guess what I'm trying to figure out is if both Seattle and San Fran win every game leading to week 17 (which is a tall order as it is) then their game will decide who's the 1 seed or can another team squeeze in there?

In the world of hypotheticals - with 4 weeks and change remaining - there are a near infinite number of possibilities, lol. 

But Yes, because Saints have the tiebreaker over Seattle, any scenario where they are tied, Saints get the edge.  Currently Niners are still #1 based solely on 2 facts, 1) they have more points than the Saints, and 2) Seattle hasn't played yet.  If Seattle wins, they would take #2, Saints move to #1, Niners move to #5 and Vikings stay where they are at #6.

If Vikings win, they move into #5, Seahawks move into #6, Niners stay #1, Saints stay #2.  However that Packers v Vikings rematch isn't all that cut and dry.  If the Vikings win that, and have the same record as the Packers going into the playoffs, they would STILL be a wildcard team, due to tiebreaker rules, unless the Packers somehow lose to Detroit and Chicago.  If that happens, and the Vikings win their division match-ups, then its possible they take #3, but the easiest way to do that would be to simply win more games than the Packers, which would happen anyway if the Packers manage to lose to both Chicago and Detroit and the Vikings in the next 4 weeks, which I highly doubt.  BUT if the Vikings win out and finish 13-3 and Packers finish 12-4, then yeah, they'd switch places.

Next weeks game between Niners and Saints have many outcomes on its own, depending largely on tomorrow nights game.  If Seattle wins tomorrow and their game next week, Saints are playing to keep #1 only, Niners stay in #5.  If Seattle wins 1 and loses the other, Niners and Saints are playing for #1 with the Saints staying at #2 and Niners staying at #5 if either loses.  If Seattle loses both games, Niners are playing to keep #1 and keep Saints at #2 and Saints are playing to take #1 and move Niners into #5.  Considering the Seahawks are playing the division rival Rams on the road next week, on a short week to boot, anything can happen.  Especially considering how the Rams are dismantling the Cardinals as if they were the Jets, right now.

Green Bay probably won't factor in there.  I mean, they can, certainly, but it would require a lot to go wrong for a lot of teams.  They can't pass Niners, Saints, or Seahawks without winning more games (Niners have a head to head tiebreaker, and I believe both the Saints and the Hawks would win based on other tie breaker rules, though this is still semi-dependent on the remainder of the season).  So the Packers would need a better record than either the Niners or Seahawks, and/or the Saints to move up from #3 to #2 or #1.  This is plausible, but unlikely.  The Saints - sans the 49ers - have a pretty straight forward schedule remaining that after next weeks result, however it goes, I expect them to win out the remainder of their games, meaning at best the Packers would tie them in wins if they also won out, so they'd remain #3.  If the Saints move into #1 based on any of the above scenarios, and the Packers win the remainder of their games, the Niners or Seahawks, whoever is in #2 in that scenario, would both need to lose at least one more game each, and it gets tricky.  If the Seahawks beat the Niners again, they could technically lose one of their remaining 4 games and still be ahead of the Niners even if they won all their others, and still keep the Packers at bay.  If they beat the Niners and lost 2 more, the Niners would also need to lose again or they would keep #2 over the Seahawks and have the tie breaker over Green Bay.  If the Niners beat the Seahawks, it becomes almost impossible for Green Bay to pass them unless the Niners lose two or more of their remaining games.  However, if this happens AND the Seahawks lost multiple games too, then it's possible for the Packers to overtake them.  Again, it would require them to win out.  With all the possible outcomes of the remaining 4 games for each the Saints, Niners, and Packers, and the outcome of the remaining 5 games for each the Seahawks and Vikings, it gets really crazy.  Bottom line is the Packers would need both the Niners and Seahawks to lose a few games to have a chance of overtaking them, and they'd need the Saints to lose more than one game, which I don't see happening with their remaining schedule (though, it is entirely possible...)

The simplest hypothetical so far! lol  If both Seattle and SF win their remaining games, do they keep #1?  Yes :)  There's no way for anyone to pass either of them if they both win out their remaining games.  That would mean that both would go into week 17 with a 13-2 record.  The Saints, if they lost to the Niners (which they would in this scenario) would finish no better than 13-3.  The Packers, if they win out, would also be at best 13-3.  Meaning whoever wins in week 17 would be the only 14 win team in the NFC, and therefore untouchable as far as playoff standings go.

• Like 1

On 11/24/2019 at 8:58 PM, acasser said:

The Bengals host the Jets next week.... and I'm very concerned about that as a Jets fan.  Because I wouldn't be the least bit shocked if the Jets started buying into their recent hype and crapped the bed against a bad team.  If Cincy had pulled off an upset against Pittsburgh this week, I'd be a lot less worried.  But the Bengals are due for a win at some point and I fear the Jets are the "lucky" victims in waiting.

I hate to say "I told you so".... but I told you so.  Predictable.

What a crappy sports weekend for the teams I root for.  This game, plus I dropped good coin to go to Devils-Rangers (NHL) yesterday and the Devils played worse yesterday than the Jets did today.

And maybe the Jets can find a way to lose to the Dolphins again next weekend.  Because why not?

4 minutes ago, skidmarkgn said:

Whether or not it lasts, it's awesome seeing Baltimore sitting in the #1 spot they deserve.  They're 100& without a doubt the best team in the AFC and watching the Pats sit with home field advantage simply because of their schedule was gross.  Now keep it going Chiefs.

As much as I hate it that the Ravens had to beat the Niners to get there, they definitely are the better, if not the best, team in the AFC this year.  I hope it sticks.  Also cheering for the Bills now, they're only 1 game behind the Pats and could take 1st in that division for the first time... ever? lol

Texans were fantastic defemsively giving pats fits all night but isn't it crazy the Patriots were a onside recovery away from having a chance to win it even playing that bad. Gotta agree how Ravens are playing they clearly look the best in AFC.