National Football League Thread

cmgravekeeper

17 minutes ago, Splathew said:

I can't wait for NE to go one and done. They are not even close to being as good as their record. Brady doesn't scare anyone anymore. Send all kinds of pressure and slow down Edelman and they are done.

Hopefully New England's Dynasty comes to an end this year. Their defense has been solid this season though. 

All three games were good. However, still hoping that I won't have to boycott the Super Bowl again. 

3 hours ago, Splathew said:

I can't wait for NE to go one and done. They are not even close to being as good as their record. Brady doesn't scare anyone anymore. Send all kinds of pressure and slow down Edelman and they are done.

Also, his age is definitely catching up to him. He's not a young man anymore. Wonder how long he'll be in denial about it.

Edited by MidnightDragon

On 12/15/2019 at 5:43 PM, acasser said:

Look on the bright side:  San Francisco still controls their own destiny even with this loss.  If they win out, they have all the tiebreakers at 13-3:  beat New Orleans, walloped Green Bay, and they'd have a better record than Seattle.

The margin for error is probably gone, but they're still in a very good position.  Which is a lot more than many of us can say about our own teams at this point in the season.

Had to quote this one after today.  Niners are still toying with me.  Glad they beat the Rams, but if the Cards pull the upset tomorrow, how much is that Falcons beat gonna hurt next week in Seattle.... I can only hope they manage to get the win that is always hardest for them each season (that's Seattle in Seattle).

17 minutes ago, Matto_lsi said:

Had to quote this one after today.  Niners are still toying with me.  Glad they beat the Rams, but if the Cards pull the upset tomorrow, how much is that Falcons beat gonna hurt next week in Seattle.... I can only hope they manage to get the win that is always hardest for them each season (that's Seattle in Seattle).

You had the Falcons game last week, I have the Cardinals game this week.  This is the kind of game that Seattle likes to stumble on. 

I'm glad to see the Rams eliminated but having that 1 game buffer in case they lose to Arizona tomorrow would have been nice.  Hopefully it'll still ultimately boil down to "winner's #1" in week 17 but even if it does, I'm still about 80/20 in favor of San Francisco winning that one.  They'll have an extra day of rest and, more importantly, a LOT of key players who missed the 1st game will be present and accounted for in the 2nd, while Seattle's injury list is getting pretty scary, and I'm 100% not ashamed to admit that I want no part of having to watch the Seahawks have to make a BS trip to Dallas in the wild card round...again. 

So it's going to be Seattle and San Francisco next Sunday in primetime, I suppose?  Because that appears to be the game with the most at stake for Week 17 and therefore will get itself flexed into position for me to ignore on NBC?

(I refuse to put NBC or an NBC network on in my house other than NBCSN if the Devils are playing.  Part of it for their internal politics, both on a national stage and how their major staff treats women.  Part of it because a lot of their sports types like to talk politics during their sporting events.)

Because things are looking awfully settled in the standings at this point.  We ought to know who 10 or 11 of the Final Twelve are going to be by tonight; it's simply a matter of sorting out the pecking order and who goes where and who gets to relax the first weekend in January.

15 hours ago, Conker said:

Patriots win the AFC East with a hard fought 24-17 win over the Bills, who continue to prove how good they are

If I'm a Bills fan, I'm excited for Josh Allen's future, bc he really showed some grit in that game.  If the 4-5 matchup is BUF-HOU,  I see another home playoff loss for the Texans.

Patriots have been searching desperately for a Gronk replacement all season and have had little success. They've tried Gordon and Sanu (and even Antonio Brown - yuck!) and nothing's really worked. O-line has been a patchwork all season. Brady's biggest fault this season is giving up on plays too quickly and throwing it away.  The defense will make them a playoff threat, it should be an exciting January. 

12 hours ago, skidmarkgn said:

You had the Falcons game last week, I have the Cardinals game this week.  This is the kind of game that Seattle likes to stumble on. 

I'm glad to see the Rams eliminated but having that 1 game buffer in case they lose to Arizona tomorrow would have been nice.  Hopefully it'll still ultimately boil down to "winner's #1" in week 17 but even if it does, I'm still about 80/20 in favor of San Francisco winning that one.  They'll have an extra day of rest and, more importantly, a LOT of key players who missed the 1st game will be present and accounted for in the 2nd, while Seattle's injury list is getting pretty scary, and I'm 100% not ashamed to admit that I want no part of having to watch the Seahawks have to make a BS trip to Dallas in the wild card round...again. 

Those trap games, man... no matter what happens today, it does still come down to winner in week 17 being #1 (maybe overall, but in the division for sure).  And while you might have faith in the Niners, when it comes to playing Seattle in Seattle, in December no less, the Niners have routinely failed in every way.  Remember the year they destroyed NE in the first half, let them come back in the second, but ultimately won while playing on the road in December, but then went into Seattle the next week and got blobbed like 47-3 (that's not exact, but it was something like that)?  That's my Niners!  Being division rivals, these games are always tough, but playing them on the road this late in the season is always a death sentence.  You've mentioned them being beat up, but the Niners are beat up too.  Half their defensive starters are hurt or just coming back from injury and not yet up to game speed.  Their O-line is banged up.  Their RB situation is a little in flux after catching the fumblitis.  Then there's always Jimmy G, happy to take a strip sack merely feet from his own endzone (happened TWICE in the last Seattle game).  So perhaps the greatest irony next week will be us, cheering for our teams, but putting all our faith in the opposition, lol.

Edited by Matto_lsi

On 12/9/2019 at 5:59 PM, acasser said:

I feel obliged to point out that for the Steelers to miss the playoffs, they almost certainly have to lose a game to the Jets.  Or to a Ravens team that is likely to have homefield advantage wrapped up prior to kickoff Week 17, with those Ravens coached by a guy who sat pretty much every relevant player the last time Baltimore was in that situation.

Mind you, the Jets will have ten days off before the Steeler game, but that's probably the best argument I can come up with for that particular matchup to go the way you want it to.

You were saying? lol  But yeah, the Titans need to either beat the Saints (that game is close atm) or win next week in Houston AND Pit lose to the Ravens or they need to win BOTH today and in Houston.  Tough either way, we'll have to wait and see.  Depending how the Chiefs do today, Houston might be playing for 3rd in the AFC next week, but if not, then maybe they'll rest too.  But those division games (both Ravens-Pit and Houston-Titans) are tough to predict, cause those rivalries run deep.

Every damn year Seattle hosts the Cardinals and every damn year everything falls apart when they host the Cardinals.  O-lineman dropping like flies on a team that already can't pass protect combined with losing your starting and back up running backs... fun.  Team's going into the most important game of the season playing like absolute shit while the injuries are also piling up.

Good news for the Seahawks/49ers loser.  At this point, it looks like they will get the Eagles (who are really ransacked by injury).  

Not that you should trust Dallas but they have a higher ceiling and could beat either Seattle/SF at home especially with how those two teams have been playing of late (not very good).

53 minutes ago, djb5f said:

Good news for the Seahawks/49ers loser.  At this point, it looks like they will get the Eagles (who are really ransacked by injury).  

Not that you should trust Dallas but they have a higher ceiling and could beat either Seattle/SF at home especially with how those two teams have been playing of late (not very good).

Before winning the Wild Card game, you should win your (weak) division you know

7 minutes ago, Zio_Sam87 said:

Before winning the Wild Card game, you should win your (weak) division you know

Believe it or not, they still have a decent chance.  Philly could lose in NY (NJ). Stranger things have happened.  

Not sure who I pick out of the NFC, wide open at this point, maybe the Saints?  Despite gaudy records no team stands out, like Baltimore does in the AFC.

1 minute ago, djb5f said:

Believe it or not, they still have a decent chance.  Philly could lose in NY (NJ). Stranger things have happened.  

Not sure who I pick out of the NFC, wide open at this point, maybe the Saints?  Despite gaudy records no team stands out, like Baltimore does in the AFC.

They could win it thanks to NY, they could even win the SB... But right now, saying that two team with 12-3 and 11-4 both 3-2 in last 5, are playing worse than a 7-8 and 1-4 in last 5 who can't win the only game needed to clinch the weakest division in football, is just talking trash.

However as THE game is flexed to sunday night, I can see some advantage for the 4th seed if SF/SEA will spend all the energy to win with less time to rest

11 minutes ago, Zio_Sam87 said:

They could win it thanks to NY, they could even win the SB... But right now, saying that two team with 12-3 and 11-4 both 3-2 in last 5, are playing worse than a 7-8 and 1-4 in last 5 who can't win the only game needed to clinch the weakest division in football, is just talking trash.

However as THE game is flexed to sunday night, I can see some advantage for the 4th seed if SF/SEA will spend all the energy to win with less time to rest

It is not talking trash, it is observing a lot of football over the years.  Eagles don’t have the personnel to beat anyone in the playoffs.  Dallas does but are also getting hobbled injury wise (a lot of teams are).  Prescott’s shoulder is not right and Amari Cooper is maybe 60%.  OL going deep into depth chart finding bodies.

The 49ers strength (their defense) is no longer what it was.  Even the Rams lit them up,  Anything can happen in the playoffs (see the Cardinals making the Super Bowl at 9-7 or the Seahawks winning a playoff game at 7-9) so the 49ers or Seahawks might make a run to the SB is possible but I don’t see it over the last month of mediocre play.  

The Seahawks have the advantage at QB who is a playmaker (I would not trust Jimmy G) but their defense is a far cry from the legion of boom.  I thought at the beginning of the year the 49ers were the better team because of the defense but that advantage is not what it was.

4 hours ago, Matto_lsi said:

You were saying? lol  But yeah, the Titans need to either beat the Saints (that game is close atm) or win next week in Houston AND Pit lose to the Ravens or they need to win BOTH today and in Houston.  Tough either way, we'll have to wait and see.  Depending how the Chiefs do today, Houston might be playing for 3rd in the AFC next week, but if not, then maybe they'll rest too.  But those division games (both Ravens-Pit and Houston-Titans) are tough to predict, cause those rivalries run deep.

First of all.... you're welcome?  It wasn't a pretty win, but it was a win.  And I suppose it's not out of the question that the Jets go into Buffalo next week and clobber the Bills, because who knows how Buffalo will come out with their being locked into the 5th seed and a road Wild Card game the following week?  Could the Bills sit a bunch of guys as a hedge against injury?

Secondly, with both teams losing today, Tennessee jumped ahead of Pittsburgh on tiebreaks.  The Steelers need a win and a Tennessee loss.  I could see the latter happening, because Houston still has something to play for.  And I could see the former happening because this Baltimore coach has rested his players the one previous time he went into Week 17 with everything clinched.

But I could also see the Ravens wanting to ruin the season of their rivals by pounding them into the turf.  And maybe sticking an exclamation point on Lamar Jackson's MVP season by letting him go wild for a half or so before turning it over to RG3.

48 minutes ago, djb5f said:

The Giants haven't beaten a good team all season.  Their defense can barely slow down an anemic offense, let alone a pretty good one.  And the Giants are probably about to clean house in the off-season.

Not only do I have a difficult time seeing the Eagles lose this one, I have a difficult time seeing the Giants hang in the game for very long.  No matter how banged up the Eagles are, this is a one-game season for them and I think they'll win the game by several touchdowns.