National Football League Thread

cmgravekeeper

Wow, the Cards absolutely took a shotgun to the face of the Seahawks' season.  Carson's almost certainly out for the year, Penny was lost for the year a couple weeks ago and Prosise is (once again) done for the year>oh yeah, Duane Brown's having knee surgery too.  Get ready for a heavy dose of TRAVIS HOMER San Fran!!  Honestly, just bring extra pressure every play against Seattle and you win.  They can't pass block and they're down to their 4th string RB.  If  they can hold onto that 5 seed then maybe they'll beat the Eagles but beyond that, no chance.

1 hour ago, kidson2004 said:

Well, Browns lost (nothing new), Eagles won. But I gotta say, this is 2 years in a row that the Browns were in the hunt this late in the season.

I know it was mentioned a page or two up from here that Cleveland was still -- technically -- alive for a playoff berth entering this week, something that was obviously dashed today.

You know who else entered Sunday with really longshot playoff odds but somehow snuck through this weekend's minefield with hopes still mathematically existing?

Oakland.  They got everything they needed to happen today:  Pittsburgh and Tennessee and Cleveland all lost, Indianapolis won, and they won.  Now, they pretty much need four of the five to happen again next weekend (sorry, Cleveland, but you're irrelevant now).  Because the Raiders win a three-way tiebreak with the Colts and Steelers, and the Colts win the two-way tiebreak with the Titans.  So if all four teams finish 8-8, the Titans get tossed aside first by virtue of losing their division tiebreak, and then the Raiders come out of the blender.

And while it's still a longshot scenario, one can make a plausible argument for all four outcomes going the way the Raiders want them to.  Oakland can absolutely win at Denver.  The Colts can beat the Jaguars.  Tennessee can lose to Houston, and Pittsburgh can flop against the Ravens.

3 hours ago, djb5f said:

Not sure who I pick out of the NFC, wide open at this point, maybe the Saints?  Despite gaudy records no team stands out, like Baltimore does in the AFC.

NFC - I think you can make a case for any team except the NFC East winner at this point. Dallas or Philly can definitely win a home game, but I'm not sure they pull out to road wins, given their respective issues.

- New Orleans at home will be extremely tough; I think they've only lost one playoff game in the Superdome in that last 20 years.

- Seattle and San Fran are having a tough December, so they look a bit more vulnerable than they did last month. Jimmy G looks a bit wobbly in the last couple fourth quarters. Seattle D just lost to Brett Hundley. :facepalm:

- Vikings could beat GB tomorrow night, end up 12-4, and STILL be the #6 seed. Tough damn conference. Vikings' Achilles Heel will not be Kirk Cousins; it will be their pass defense (specifically, the CB's). 

AFC

- Anyone except HOU or the No. 6 seed.

- Baltimore looks like the odd-on favorite, but anyone remember how Lamar Jackson looked in the playoffs last year? Is it possible he could have a Justin Verlander/ David Price monkey on his back? :hmm:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, PerryToxteth said:

Seattle D just lost to Brett Hundley. :facepalm:

The Seattle D lost to the Seattle O.  After that TD on the first drive, Seattle's offense didn't manage a single first down until the 4th quarter.  3 and out, 3 and out, 3 and out... etc. etc. The one first down they did get ended up in a fumble recovered by the Cards.  

Pete's obsession with the run game is biting him in the ass hard.  There's absolutely no ability to pass protect from the O-line and now their starting, backup, and 3rd string running backs are out (2 of which are for sure done for the year and I'd be amazed if Carson plays again in 2019).  Every play after Carson and Prosise went down (Prosise needs to be cut ASAP, this guy has spent years being useless) was Wilson running for his life after getting .0000000001 seconds of protection or a run for a loss, and now that the deadline's long since passed I don't know how they fix it.  Wilson putting the team on his shoulders again seems like the answer but Metcalf looks like he is a victim of hitting the rookie wall and Lockett hasn't looked the same since his injury.

Gotta feeling us Seattle fans are gonna be cheering on the Saints for most of the playoffs.

Edited by skidmarkgn

8 hours ago, djb5f said:

It is not talking trash, it is observing a lot of football over the years.  Eagles don’t have the personnel to beat anyone in the playoffs.  Dallas does but are also getting hobbled injury wise (a lot of teams are).  Prescott’s shoulder is not right and Amari Cooper is maybe 60%.  OL going deep into depth chart finding bodies.

The 49ers strength (their defense) is no longer what it was.  Even the Rams lit them up,  Anything can happen in the playoffs (see the Cardinals making the Super Bowl at 9-7 or the Seahawks winning a playoff game at 7-9) so the 49ers or Seahawks might make a run to the SB is possible but I don’t see it over the last month of mediocre play.  

The Seahawks have the advantage at QB who is a playmaker (I would not trust Jimmy G) but their defense is a far cry from the legion of boom.  I thought at the beginning of the year the 49ers were the better team because of the defense but that advantage is not what it was.

While all of this is theorically right, you forgot that Dallas is worse than every situation described. NO or GB, I can stand your point for sure (despite both lost to SF)... But Dallas was way beyond mediocre play over the last (2? 3?) month(s)

14 hours ago, acasser said:

I know it was mentioned a page or two up from here that Cleveland was still -- technically -- alive for a playoff berth entering this week, something that was obviously dashed today.

You know who else entered Sunday with really longshot playoff odds but somehow snuck through this weekend's minefield with hopes still mathematically existing?

Oakland.  They got everything they needed to happen today:  Pittsburgh and Tennessee and Cleveland all lost, Indianapolis won, and they won.  Now, they pretty much need four of the five to happen again next weekend (sorry, Cleveland, but you're irrelevant now).  Because the Raiders win a three-way tiebreak with the Colts and Steelers, and the Colts win the two-way tiebreak with the Titans.  So if all four teams finish 8-8, the Titans get tossed aside first by virtue of losing their division tiebreak, and then the Raiders come out of the blender.

And while it's still a longshot scenario, one can make a plausible argument for all four outcomes going the way the Raiders want them to.  Oakland can absolutely win at Denver.  The Colts can beat the Jaguars.  Tennessee can lose to Houston, and Pittsburgh can flop against the Ravens.

To be honest, im not even sure I'd argue its a longshot scenario... I dont expect Oakland to make the playoffs, but each game they need to go their way is more than doable.

I expect the Colts to beat the Jags. Indy is a funny team, but Jacksonville flatout suck.

Pittsburgh have looked seriously inconsistent all season long. Lack of a QB will do that to you. The Ravens are miles better than the Steelers, only question is whether they bother to take the game seriously. 

Same scenario for Houston... they might also not both to play properly next week. Even if they do, Tennessee are a sneaky good team. This one imo is the one which is most likely to kick the Raiders out of the picture.

Although... I think the Raiders will have a tough time in Denver. The Broncos have won 3 of 4 and look good at the moment.

I'd say on a normal gameday, the Raiders chances are very good at making the playoffs. But with possible tank games from Baltimore and Houston it throws their chances out a fair bit.

The Bengals loss yesterday was the most Bengals loss you could imagine ? Glad they didn't manage it though, #1 Pick! Which will be a Joe Burrow behind a god-awful O-Line.

1 hour ago, skidmarkgn said:

I want Green Bay to win to secure Minnesota as the 6 seed.  Whoever takes the 5 seed gets (most likely) Philly, which is the most winnable game in the wildcard round, and i'm expecting Seattle to be that 5 seed.  

Well, looks like you got what you wanted. Minnesota is wondering once again why they guaranteed Cousins so much money.

15 hours ago, skidmarkgn said:

Can't believe I gotta hope Green Bay wins tonight.  Gross.

I can remember back in 2002 or so when the Jets went into the final weekend of the season needing a win and a Patriots win to clinch a playoff spot on the last weekend of the regular season, with Pats-Dolphins at 1:00 and Jets-Packers (against a Green Bay team locked into a #2 seed) at 4:25.  Now, the Patriots weren't The Patriots just yet, even though they were defending Super Bowl Champions (for the first time) with Tom Brady in his second year as starting QB and Bill Belichick in his third season as Pats' head coach.  But it was surreal enough that Jets fans were openly cheering for the Patriots in the waning moments of that game while waiting for their own to start, with P-A-T-S chants breaking out at Giants Stadium as New England rallied from a late deficit.

Sometimes, life/politics/whatever makes for some very strange bedfellows.  And sometimes, the guys you can't stand are the guys you have to cheer for because their success in a limited situation is what is good for your success in that very same short term.

(The Patriots would rally and win.  Then the Jets won their game going away, knocking New England and Miami out of the playoffs and putting themselves and Cleveland in.  Would throttle Peyton Manning and the Colts the next week.  That was the playoff year where Green Bay's chokehold on playoff results at Lambeau died against Michael Vick.  And Cleveland being Cleveland, the Browns blew a big lead in their Wild Card matchup and coughed one up to the Steelers.)

On 12/22/2019 at 5:48 PM, acasser said:

First of all.... you're welcome?  It wasn't a pretty win, but it was a win.  And I suppose it's not out of the question that the Jets go into Buffalo next week and clobber the Bills, because who knows how Buffalo will come out with their being locked into the 5th seed and a road Wild Card game the following week?  Could the Bills sit a bunch of guys as a hedge against injury?

Secondly, with both teams losing today, Tennessee jumped ahead of Pittsburgh on tiebreaks.  The Steelers need a win and a Tennessee loss.  I could see the latter happening, because Houston still has something to play for.  And I could see the former happening because this Baltimore coach has rested his players the one previous time he went into Week 17 with everything clinched.

But I could also see the Ravens wanting to ruin the season of their rivals by pounding them into the turf.  And maybe sticking an exclamation point on Lamar Jackson's MVP season by letting him go wild for a half or so before turning it over to RG3.

The Giants haven't beaten a good team all season.  Their defense can barely slow down an anemic offense, let alone a pretty good one.  And the Giants are probably about to clean house in the off-season.

Not only do I have a difficult time seeing the Eagles lose this one, I have a difficult time seeing the Giants hang in the game for very long.  No matter how banged up the Eagles are, this is a one-game season for them and I think they'll win the game by several touchdowns.

I had to dive deep into wildcard tiebreaks to figure this one out.  No head to head, not enough common games, same AFC record (though Pit had more AFC wins until they lost to the Jets, now they're tied), and then finally.... strength of victory.  So as long as Pit doesn't win their game by 50 points more than the Titans win theirs (assuming they both win) then it'd be the Titans.  Same if they both lose.  Pit would have to win and Titans lose for #6 seed to change.  With that said, I'm hoping Ravens still pull off the win.  I mean, Ravens B-team is still better than Steelers A-team, and just cause the QB and other key players are being rested means nothing, apparently (see Matt Flynn and the 2011 Packers).  Meanwhile, Houston is more or less locked into 4th.  They could pass the Chiefs, technically, but not only do the Chiefs play the team formerly known as the Chargers, but they also play the morning game, Houston has the afternoon game.  Therefore Houston will know if they even have a chance at 3rd before they take the field.  I would expect that if the Chiefs win, and Houston are locked into 4th, that their coach will rest his players throughout the game.  He'll probably pull Watson after 1 quarter, and maybe a few others, just like the Ravens are expected to do.  Of course if the Chiefs fail miserably, then Houston will go all out to go up a seed.  For this, we'll have to wait and see.  But I think it's highly likely that Houston has nothing to play for and will want to insure against injury.  If that happens, a Titans win becomes very possible.

On 12/22/2019 at 3:27 PM, skidmarkgn said:

Every damn year Seattle hosts the Cardinals and every damn year everything falls apart when they host the Cardinals.  O-lineman dropping like flies on a team that already can't pass protect combined with losing your starting and back up running backs... fun.  Team's going into the most important game of the season playing like absolute shit while the injuries are also piling up.

I feel the same thing happens to the Niners when they play Seattle... or any team from the West.  Let's be honest, records don't matter in the West, all 4 of these teams, even when they look awful on paper, come to play and beat the snot out of each other.  I'd take any team from the West, even the Cards and their 5 win season, over just about any other team in the league right now.  When the West gets hot, they're all incredibly tough to beat, which is why they always beat each other to a pulp.

Also, how are things looking now at RB with Lynch coming back?  I heard he's game ready, despite not playing since last year.  I believe it.  I'd never doubt that dude.  If he's willing to suit up, he's ready to play, even if he's in his 60s and blind in both eyes.  As a Niners fan, I'm not looking forward to seeing him next week.  I hope the rest of the team sees him for the threat he is and don't Falcons this shit up again.

1 hour ago, Matto_lsi said:

Also, how are things looking now at RB with Lynch coming back?  I heard he's game ready, despite not playing since last year.  I believe it.  I'd never doubt that dude.  If he's willing to suit up, he's ready to play, even if he's in his 60s and blind in both eyes.  As a Niners fan, I'm not looking forward to seeing him next week.  I hope the rest of the team sees him for the threat he is and don't Falcons this shit up again.

I'm a pessimist at heart so I'm still not thrilled about the RB situation.  It's a good story and all, and I'd love nothing more than to see Lynch break off a big run like the old days, but the difference between being in good/great shape and "game shape" is monumental in my eyes.  I'm expecting maybe 10-12, 3-ish yard carries for Lynch, anything better than that will be total icing on the cake.  

2 hours ago, Matto_lsi said:

I had to dive deep into wildcard tiebreaks to figure this one out.  No head to head, not enough common games, same AFC record (though Pit had more AFC wins until they lost to the Jets, now they're tied), and then finally.... strength of victory.  So as long as Pit doesn't win their game by 50 points more than the Titans win theirs (assuming they both win) then it'd be the Titans.  Same if they both lose.  Pit would have to win and Titans lose for #6 seed to change. 

Yeah, Pittsburgh-Tennessee is "strength of victory".  It's a pain digging down that many layers into the tiebreak system, but once in a while it gets to be fun.  There was a time 15 or so years ago when it looked like a Wild Card tie-break in the NFC would come down to "net scoring margin" (or whatever that vernacular is) and that led to some very interesting play-calling in the early games where the two teams in question were scoreboard-watching and running up the score in the 4th quarter -- keeping their starters in and running two-minute drills even though they had a big lead -- because it was close enough to make a difference.

Back to the AFC.  Oakland is still alive as well, but it's a convoluted scenario.  First, they need to win to get to 8-8.  Then they need both Pittsburgh and Tennessee to lose to fall to 8-8.  On top of that, they need Indianapolis to beat Jacksonville to get the Colts to 8-8.

In that mess of a four-way tie, Tennessee gets eliminated first because they lose the divisional tiebreak to the Colts.  Then the Colts get eliminated next because they lost to both Pittsburgh and Oakland.  And finally, Oakland has the strength of victory tiebreak over Pittsburgh.

But I suppose it could be worse.  We could have a committee in a smoke-filled room making the decisions and to hell with the actual football played on the actual field.

To another topic.

So a question for the Seattle fans here.  If the Seahawks win Sunday night, their most likely outcome is the #3 seed and a date with the Vikings in the Wild Card round, followed by a game in New Orleans in the Divisional round.

Is that a better outcome than losing to San Francisco, playing at Philadelphia in the Wild Card Round, and then playing at San Francisco or Green Bay in the divisional round?

Edited by acasser

2 hours ago, acasser said:

To another topic.

So a question for the Seattle fans here.  If the Seahawks win Sunday night, their most likely outcome is the #3 seed and a date with the Vikings in the Wild Card round, followed by a game in New Orleans in the Divisional round.

Is that a better outcome than losing to San Francisco, playing at Philadelphia in the Wild Card Round, and then playing at San Francisco or Green Bay in the divisional round?

If a 1st round bye's off the table then watching them take the 5 seed is something I personally welcome.  A home game is ,in theory, great and all but Century Link doesn't seem like it's getting to teams the way it used to, and the Seahawks also seem like their worst played games have mostly been at home.  Maybe, if they can eek another one out @Philly (really praying the Eagles can beat the Giants) then Lynch will have a little more tread on the tires and the defense can be a little more healthy *fingers crossed* and they can at least give whoever they play in the divisional round a good fight.

On 12/21/2019 at 9:06 PM, Matto_lsi said:

Had to quote this one after today.  Niners are still toying with me.  Glad they beat the Rams, but if the Cards pull the upset tomorrow, how much is that Falcons beat gonna hurt next week in Seattle.... I can only hope they manage to get the win that is always hardest for them each season (that's Seattle in Seattle).

Here we go again... final Sunday of the season, most teams locked in but today's games are the final hope for a season for a few teams.  The Niners don't have that problem, but as I said a week ago, if only they had beaten the Falcons they would have the West and the #1 seed locked down.  Instead, they now have to win on the road in the hardest environment for them or be relegated to the #5 seed and have to win 3 in a row on the road instead of 2 in a row at home.  It's not so much the fact they lost to the Falcons, its that I knew they would cause they looked at their record instead of the players on that team and decided to focus on a Rams game 2 weeks away.  All the little mistakes here and there - mainly a few missed field goals - is all that's separating them from 1st right now (actually, being undefeated, strange as it seems).  I hope they're ready for today.  I hope they can pull it off.  But either way, today would be going down completely different if they had just beat the damn Falcons.  Now to wait 9+ hours to find out how this ends...