National Football League Thread

cmgravekeeper

5 hours ago, majob said:

Rumor mill is that the Lions are going to take Tua at #3. Of course they take the guy who just broke his hip and will never play at the same level he once did.

They probably figure that the presence of Matthew Stafford will allow them to slow-walk Tua's rehab for as long as it genuinely takes for him to fully recover.

Mind you, that also probably means that Tua will be a gift for the next coach/GM and not the current regime.  But you can't have everything....

1 hour ago, acasser said:

They probably figure that the presence of Matthew Stafford will allow them to slow-walk Tua's rehab for as long as it genuinely takes for him to fully recover.

Mind you, that also probably means that Tua will be a gift for the next coach/GM and not the current regime.  But you can't have everything....

Even with rehab, Tua is going to be a shadow of his former self. A hip injury along the lines of what he suffered is essentially a ticking time bomb and at some point he'll reaggrevate it and that'll be the end. This is just me being pessimistic of course but Tua's draft stock has already plummeted so why waste a first round pick?

10 hours ago, Zio_Sam87 said:

I may be wrong but I recall that good to great QB from draft were all picked far from first round in last 5+ years. Only exceptions should be Mahomes and Watson

That's kinda my point, how many of those top QB picks suffered from "Tannehill syndrome".  The top guys go to terrible teams and don't have much of a chance while "middle of the road guys" are surrounded by better players and competent management.

Take Kyler Murray for example, he would have went to the Steelers instead of Arizona.  Arizona's a mess right now, both a coach and QB (who was drafted pretty high) were fired after 1 year, they have NO offensive line and their defense was at or very near to dead last.  The Steelers though, yeah, they have Ben which means 2 things 1 - they draft someone else and Murray is up for grabs for the Titans (they would have picked at #2) or 2 - they draft Kyler with the intention of developing him as Ben's replacement and he takes over after Ben's injury, with Tomlin at the helm and a defense that looked pretty damn good.  Who knows, this magical Titans run might not have ever happened becasue the Steelers made it in instead.

Edited by skidmarkgn

12 hours ago, skidmarkgn said:

*Incoming wall of text so bear with me*

LSU just finished their title game and now Burrow gets to (most likely) go get his teeth kicked in with the Bengals.  Every year I bring up a way to change the draft that I heard on the radio and this year I did a small bit of leg-work to see how it would hypothetically go.

The change is only with non-playoff teams.  The #1 pick goes to the team with the best record who missed the playoffs, #2 goes to the next best team and so on.  Once all the non-playoff teams have had their picks, the playoff teams go as normal with the SB winner picking @32.  I love this idea, the teams who would be picking in the top 5-10 most likely won't need a QB and the teams that would take a guy like Burrow could probably actually put him in a situation to succeed instead of a dumpster-fire tank-bowl winner.  Speaking of which, bye-bye tanking, no reward for intentionally putting a shitty product on the field.  

Anyways, as it stands right now the draft would (if I did my tiny amount of research right) look like this:

* I have only taken the Rams 2020 1st round trade for Ramsey into account because that's the only trade I know off the top of my head*

#1 - Rams, 9-7 record.  Actually, it would be the Jags because of the Ramsey trade.

#'s 2,3,and 4, no idea what order they'd be but they all finished with 8 wins - Steelers, Cowboys and Bears.  Cowboys don't need a QB but the Steelers or Bears would be a great landing spot for Burrow if the Jags didn't already take him.

#'s 5-10 ,the 7 win teams - Jets, Colts, Broncos, Raiders, Falcons, Buccs.

And there's your top 10 picks.  

With the way it is, the Bengals, Redskins, Lions, Giants, Dolphins, Chargers, Cards Panthers, Browns, and Jags are the top 10 with the Bengals as #1, the Redskins and Lions at 2 and 3 and the Giants at 4.  Burrow's life is gonna suck for the first few years and who knows if the Bengals will build anything any time soon.  Redskins are a hot mess and are already ruining their rookie QB.  The Lions, I'll admit they have at least some potential to do something with their #3 pick but... I mean... it's the Lions.  The Giants are the one team that miiiiiiight be successfully rebuilding, but the jury's still out, Daniel Jones has his issues *cough* can't stop fumbling *cough* and Barkley's had one sensational season and one miserable season.  Honestly, I say f--k it.  Let the teams who are that one top pick away from being a contender have that top pick, the middle of the pack changes but not super dramatically and let the garbage teams that wallow in their ineptitude suffer on the bottom eternally.  Idiots like Dan Snyder can suck it and enjoy your 30th pick.

Interesting way to reshuffle the draft for sure. As a Bengals fan im glad your changes aren't actually in for this year!

To be fair, our receiving group isn't bad at all (and is pretty decent if AJ Green returns). It's the O-Line that's bad and is going to cut Burrow's career short if we stick with it. I'm really hoping he gets to sit the first year, but the Bengals are an appallingly run franchise, so hardly matters really.

For the high picks, I imagine they just pray a good franchise has a tank year the season before. Sucks for Burrow this year, but hey at least he gets a nice bit of $$$ out of it.

2 hours ago, skidmarkgn said:

That's kinda my point, how many of those top QB picks suffered from "Tannehill syndrome".  The top guys go to terrible teams and don't have much of a chance while "middle of the road guys" are surrounded by better players and competent management.

Take Kyler Murray for example, he would have went to the Steelers instead of Arizona.  Arizona's a mess right now, both a coach and QB (who was drafted pretty high) were fired after 1 year, they have NO offensive line and their defense was at or very near to dead last.  The Steelers though, yeah, they have Ben which means 2 things 1 - they draft someone else and Murray is up for grabs for the Titans (they would have picked at #2) or 2 - they draft Kyler with the intention of developing him as Ben's replacement and he takes over after Ben's injury, with Tomlin at the helm and a defense that looked pretty damn good.  Who knows, this magical Titans run might not have ever happened becasue the Steelers made it in instead.

A good point, or maybe teams cant' pick the right guy and prefer a bust ?

Reality is in the middle: everyone be in a hurry with QB and go with "pick & play" while history told us that majority of HoF developed years before taking charge

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Avatar_Of_Battle said:

This reminds me of when Patrick Willis retired.  Both of these guys were in their prime (withstanding any previous injuries), but I can't help but notice that both quit the year their long-time coach was fired.  Perhaps just coincidence, but there were definitely rumors that Willis was pissed about front office decisions.  I wouldn't be surprised if Kuechly felt the same.  Even though I'm not in any way a Carolina fan, this guy was really good and a terror on the field.  He says its the right time for him, so I wish him well in the future.

21 minutes ago, Matto_lsi said:

This reminds me of when Patrick Willis retired.  Both of these guys were in their prime (withstanding any previous injuries), but I can't help but notice that both quit the year their long-time coach was fired.  Perhaps just coincidence, but there were definitely rumors that Willis was pissed about front office decisions.  I wouldn't be surprised if Kuechly felt the same.  Even though I'm not in any way a Carolina fan, this guy was really good and a terror on the field.  He says its the right time for him, so I wish him well in the future.

Another reason for Kuechly retiring could be due to the many concussions he’s had over his career

21 minutes ago, Conker said:

Another reason for Kuechly retiring could be due to the many concussions he’s had over his career

Absolutely plays into it.  I remember one he got in a primetime game, and he was uncontrollably sobbing.

Just seemed like a bizarre reaction at the time (and outside his control).

On 1/14/2020 at 11:10 AM, majob said:

Even with rehab, Tua is going to be a shadow of his former self. A hip injury along the lines of what he suffered is essentially a ticking time bomb and at some point he'll reaggrevate it and that'll be the end. This is just me being pessimistic of course but Tua's draft stock has already plummeted so why waste a first round pick?

Someone is going to draft him high.  Maybe not Top Five high as he might have been prior to his injury, but somebody is going to figure that they're going to get a very good player at a "discount" because of said injury.

And I figure one of two things will be the case for the team that does so -- and maybe even moves up from later in the 1st round to do it.  It could be a team that intends to tank 2020 away, in which case spending a 1st round pick on a guy who isn't going to contribute won't be such a bad thing.  Or it will be a team that has a pretty fair guy in place right now but is seeking their QB of the future.

Heaven knows who might fall into that first category.  But I could see a lot of teams that fall into the second category.  I mentioned Detroit (Stafford).... but I could also throw New England (Brady), New Orleans (Brees), Pittsburgh (Roethlisberger), Green Bay (Rodgers), and Minnesota (Cousins) into that category if they wanted to make the long-term play now with the idea that Tagliavoa wouldn't have to rush into anything but could take all the time he needs to properly heal/rehab his injury and then to learn behind the starter.  Probably the plan that Baltimore had for Lamar Jackson before Joe Flacco's suckiness caught up to everybody.

On 1/14/2020 at 0:54 AM, skidmarkgn said:

*Incoming wall of text so bear with me*

LSU just finished their title game and now Burrow gets to (most likely) go get his teeth kicked in with the Bengals.  Every year I bring up a way to change the draft that I heard on the radio and this year I did a small bit of leg-work to see how it would hypothetically go.

The change is only with non-playoff teams.  The #1 pick goes to the team with the best record who missed the playoffs, #2 goes to the next best team and so on.  Once all the non-playoff teams have had their picks, the playoff teams go as normal with the SB winner picking @32.  I love this idea, the teams who would be picking in the top 5-10 most likely won't need a QB and the teams that would take a guy like Burrow could probably actually put him in a situation to succeed instead of a dumpster-fire tank-bowl winner.  Speaking of which, bye-bye tanking, no reward for intentionally putting a shitty product on the field.  

Anyways, as it stands right now the draft would (if I did my tiny amount of research right) look like this:

* I have only taken the Rams 2020 1st round trade for Ramsey into account because that's the only trade I know off the top of my head*

#1 - Rams, 9-7 record.  Actually, it would be the Jags because of the Ramsey trade.

#'s 2,3,and 4, no idea what order they'd be but they all finished with 8 wins - Steelers, Cowboys and Bears.  Cowboys don't need a QB but the Steelers or Bears would be a great landing spot for Burrow if the Jags didn't already take him.

#'s 5-10 ,the 7 win teams - Jets, Colts, Broncos, Raiders, Falcons, Buccs.

And there's your top 10 picks.  

With the way it is, the Bengals, Redskins, Lions, Giants, Dolphins, Chargers, Cards Panthers, Browns, and Jags are the top 10 with the Bengals as #1, the Redskins and Lions at 2 and 3 and the Giants at 4.  Burrow's life is gonna suck for the first few years and who knows if the Bengals will build anything any time soon.  Redskins are a hot mess and are already ruining their rookie QB.  The Lions, I'll admit they have at least some potential to do something with their #3 pick but... I mean... it's the Lions.  The Giants are the one team that miiiiiiight be successfully rebuilding, but the jury's still out, Daniel Jones has his issues *cough* can't stop fumbling *cough* and Barkley's had one sensational season and one miserable season.  Honestly, I say f--k it.  Let the teams who are that one top pick away from being a contender have that top pick, the middle of the pack changes but not super dramatically and let the garbage teams that wallow in their ineptitude suffer on the bottom eternally.  Idiots like Dan Snyder can suck it and enjoy your 30th pick.

The big problem with this idea is that it works against the stated purposes of having a Draft in the first place, for the worst teams to get first dibs at (who they perceive to be) the best talent.  I understand that you'd prefer the best prospects to not get their teeth kicked in on bad teams, but inverting the top end of the draft like this is only going to perpetuate the cycle of misery for a number of teams while helping a bunch of clubs that are already pretty good.

I commend you for the thorough outline of a new paradigm.  And it would serve to keep teams from tanking.  But I don't think it's fair to the really bad teams and I think it works against the notions of parity as they currently exist.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, acasser said:

The big problem with this idea is that it works against the stated purposes of having a Draft in the first place, for the worst teams to get first dibs at (who they perceive to be) the best talent.  I understand that you'd prefer the best prospects to not get their teeth kicked in on bad teams, but inverting the top end of the draft like this is only going to perpetuate the cycle of misery for a number of teams while helping a bunch of clubs that are already pretty good.

I commend you for the thorough outline of a new paradigm.  And it would serve to keep teams from tanking.  But I don't think it's fair to the really bad teams and I think it works against the notions of parity as they currently exist.

If at least most the bottom teams are run by ass-hats like Snyder (and I know not all are), then so be it, hell, maybe it'll be the catalyst for eventually running those turds out of town.  

The one potential problem that I'm not comfortable with would be cycling at the top.  if last year's would-be 7th seed bounces the, we'll say 5th seed, then what's to prevent said 5th seed from getting the top pick next year and bouncing the next playoff team, who then gets the next top pick and bounces the eventual bouncer.  The playoffs becoming a 7 team rotation on each side for years upon years could be a real threat.

Edited by skidmarkgn

46 minutes ago, Zio_Sam87 said:

My picks for tomorrow:

49ers over Packers: hope will be a great championship game!

Chiefs over Titans: I got wrong twice on Titans, so I know for sure if I pick them, they will lose :-/ Plus, I think Chiefs-49ers will be a good matchup for SB

I think this too and that would make for a great Superbowl too!

That said, no way the Chiefs rebound from 24-0 down to the Titans if that happens again. I think they'll be more with it early doors this week.

I always like to wait until the weekend before making predictions.  Now that the full injury report has been released, here we go...

49ers 27-21 Packers: This won't be like last time.  Last time, the Packers completely underestimated the Niners.  The Niners are the better team, but now that the Packers know what to expect, they will make adjustments.  The Niners, however, will be overconfident after their last meeting, and that could spell disaster for them.  I believe they'll figure out how to win and hold off the Packers, but the final score will be much closer than last time.

Chiefs 31-28 Titans:  I can see the Titans winning this game, but I think the Chiefs shook off the rust from the first half of last week and will be ready to play.  The Chiefs can put up big numbers, and by now people know what to expect from the Titans.  This could be a blowout either way, but I expect a nail-biter with the Chiefs edging the Titans.

I'd also like to say that a Chiefs-Niners SB would be my preference, so I'm also hoping for the results above, as well as making them my official guess.

Green Bay over San Francisco.

Kansas City over Tennessee.

Home teams are roughly 56-60% in this round of the playoffs.  So while I think the 49ers are the better team and more likely to win, I'll never pick both home teams in this round.

I'm rooting for San Francisco.  I think they've got a very good chance of winning.  But I stick to my rules.

Then again, look at my record thus far.  And see how well that has worked out.

In the early game, I think the Chiefs prevail bc Mahomes is more than capable of outshooting his opponent. Look at last week; 24-0 deficit - no worries - 4 TDs in one quarter and look who's ahead now? Chiefs will have a rough go at stopping Henry and Titans will likely try to hold the ball in the time of possession magin. But Mahomes doesn't need much time to retaliate with his improved WRs from last year and the Chefs enjoy a Super Bowl Snickers. 

Tomorrow's evening game comes down to QB pressure. If Niners pummel Rodgers like first game, Packers will be hard-pressed to move the ball. But Rodgers is shifty, and requires leaving a spy on him if he starts eating up easy yards. He abused SEA up the middle of the field on short passes so if a LB is left to spy on him, expect more short hits in the middle of the field.

On the flip side, the Smith-Smith combo could wreak havoc on Garoppollo. He is not as battle-hardened vs. the rush and can be forced into mistakes. He never had to "win the game" vs. MIN bc the Niners rush torched the Vikings. But if the stable of backs for SF is having difficulty, and Jimmy G is relied on to move the ball, his O line better help him out. If not, look out.

I favor the Niners, but with little confidence.

I said chiefs and 49ers straight after division games and I’m staying that way, I hope games are really good. 

Also with Jason Garrett as the New York Giants OC , think he’s there and ready to takeover if Joe Judge fails as a head coach?

7 hours ago, Conker said:

Also with Jason Garrett as the New York Giants OC , think he’s there and ready to takeover if Joe Judge fails as a head coach?

Yes and no.  He'd be a convenient guy to serve as an interim coach for the remainder of the season.  But if Joe Judge fizzles quickly -- and the history of guys like Crennel, McDaniels, Mangini, Patricia, et cetera, et cetera makes me think he will -- chances are Giants' ownership is going to clean house entirely and that includes the GM.  And there'd be outcry to find completely new voices from outside the organization to run everything, from GM on down.