National Football League Thread

cmgravekeeper

Chiefs are very worthy but that was the easiest playoff path imaginable.  Home wins over the Texans and Titans?  Not exactly murderer’s row.

Couldn’t help but wonder how much fun a Chiefs at Ravens game would have been today.  The titans are so one-dimensional and honestly fortunate to be in the playoffs.  But they beat Baltimore when it counted as fluky as it was.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, djb5f said:

Chiefs are very worthy but that was the easiest playoff path imaginable.  Home wins over the Texans and Titans?  Not exactly murderer’s row.

Couldn’t help but wonder how much fun a Chiefs at Ravens game would have been today.  The titans are so one-dimensional and honestly fortunate to be in the playoffs.  But they beat Baltimore when it counted as fluky as it was.

Baltimore sat their starters for three weeks then played a Titans team already in playoff mode. I don't think it could have ended any other way. No way a team with players only just getting back into the groove will be able to compete with a team already seasoned and hungry to win.

1 minute ago, majob said:

Baltimore sat their starters for three weeks then played a Titans team already in playoff mode. I don't think it could have ended any other way. No way a team with players only just getting back into the groove will be able to compete with a team already seasoned and hungry to win.

That played into it but it’s also one of those things if the Ravens get a lead, it could be over quickly the other way.  Titans are one-dimensional and lost a lot of games this season for a reason.

4 minutes ago, djb5f said:

That played into it but it’s also one of those things if the Ravens get a lead, it could be over quickly the other way.  Titans are one-dimensional and lost a lot of games this season for a reason.

AFC South was pretty competitive this season and the Titans changed starting qbs mid season. All things considered, they did fairly well

• Like 2

Makes me sick that Green Bay's in this game.  They backed their way into a 1st round bye via a joke of a schedule (2-0 against the Vikings is their biggest claim to fame) then hosted a Seahawks team that was as injured as I've seen in years (and before anyone jumps down my throat, yes, I know Seattle was there because they beat an Eagles team that was more injured than they were but at least Seattle traveled to Philly and won with no rest), and squeaked by.  Most undeserved NFC championship game team I've seen in a long-long time.  Please keep pouring it on San Fran.

Seahawks were about a foot short of knocking the Niners to the 5th seed and 3 straight road games to make it to the Super Bowl.  Amazing the difference between that and needing to win only 2 home games.  

Rodgers looked good the 2nd half but that Green Bay defense could not stop the run to save their life.  At least we got spared a 49ers-Titans Super Bowl.  That would have been run only lol.  Maybe a total of 15 forward passes in the whole game!

Conference Champ Results:

Conker, Perry, Vibe, Matto, Zio, DJ, Midnight and Christ all correctly picked both games.

Acasser and Kidson missed with GB and Skid missed with TEN.

Vibe and Matto have picked 8 games correctly total while DJ is one back.

Superbowl odds have the game as a Pick 'em with over/under at 52.

2 minutes ago, PsychicVibe said:

Conference Champ Results:

Conker, Perry, Vibe, Matto, Zio, DJ, Midnight and Christ all correctly picked both games.

Acasser and Kidson missed with GB and Skid missed with TEN.

Vibe and Matto have picked 8 games correctly total while DJ is one back.

Superbowl odds have the game as a Pick 'em with over/under at 52.

I imagine you and Matto are both picking the 49ers (both are fans I think?).  I will go with the Chiefs then!  Tiebreaker is whoever picks the Super Bowl winner correctly ?

You think the 49ers allow Kaepernick on the sideline or too “toxic”?  After all, he was a big part of their last Super Bowl team.

1 hour ago, skidmarkgn said:

Makes me sick that Green Bay's in this game.  They backed their way into a 1st round bye via a joke of a schedule (2-0 against the Vikings is their biggest claim to fame) then hosted a Seahawks team that was as injured as I've seen in years (and before anyone jumps down my throat, yes, I know Seattle was there because they beat an Eagles team that was more injured than they were but at least Seattle traveled to Philly and won with no rest), and squeaked by.  Most undeserved NFC championship game team I've seen in a long-long time.  Please keep pouring it on San Fran.

That's why I wanted Seattle... a tough game but an interesting one. But, you know, I'm glad to be back in the grand stage after 8 years

Alright Matto, Zio and Psychic, luv 'ya guys but I'm all in on cheering for the Chiefs.  I don't "hate" the 9ers like I'm supposed to (a lot of "12's since 12" think San Fran is the great Satan because the rivalry back then is all they know) but I also don't like 'em.  Gonna be interesting to see which strength vs. weakness wins.  49ers defense seems to have trouble with true mobile QB's and the Chiefs defense seems to have trouble against most everything, kinda smells like a shoot-out in here.

Interesting tidbit; that was the first AFC Championship since 2003 that didn't involve Tom Brady, Peyton Manning or Ben Roethlisberger. 

Congrats to SF and KC fans! I'm a bit jealous of KC, I've always felt a shared fan experience with them as the Vikes and Chiefs are usually in the playoff hunt, win division titles regularly, suffer gut-punching losses, and never get to the big game. I know they've won a Super Bowl (vs. MN), but the Super Bowl fifty years ago isn't what it is today. Good luck!

As for San Fran fans, I feel little sympathy when it's brought up that they haven't won a title in 25 years. I remember quite vividly how they destroyed teams in the 80s in the Bill Walsh dynasty. Back then, Super Bowls were typically duds of a game bc Montana, Rice, Craig, Taylor, etc. had a comfortable lead by the first half. Of course, 25 years means there's a generation of fans that haven't seen glory. Good luck as well! And thanks for drop-kicking the Packers!! 

On 1/19/2020 at 5:39 PM, majob said:

It's remarkable to me that teams still sit their starters for such long periods prior to the playoffs. Yes - there's nothing wrong with a little rest, but watching the Colts with Manning so many times lose any fire they had at the end of the season, because they sat in the last week, just infuriated me. The Colts one SB win came when they played out of the 3rd slot, and managed to get the Patsies at home in the AFCCG (although, to be fair, both Rivers and Tomlinson got hurt in week 17, which might have played a role in their loss to the Patsies in the the divisional round of the playoffs).

4 minutes ago, majob said:

My no.1 take away from the Chiefs Super Bowl berth is that there's the slimmest chance the Lions might make it within my lifetime, or hopefully just win a playoff game.

What happens first, the Lions win a playoff game or Michigan beats OSU?  Hoping for the latter (not that I am against the Lions)!