National Football League Thread

cmgravekeeper

So for those who watched, what you think of day 1 XFL?

Personally enjoyed it, kickoff rule and the pat stuff are very different, love hearing the coaches calling the plays,playing standard wasn't too bad, heres hoping day 2 action is as good 

and..... https://www.iheart.com/content/2020-02-06-christian-activist-wants-to-sue-nfl-for-867-trillion-over-halftime-show/

Edited by Conker

13 hours ago, Conker said:

So for those who watched, what you think of day 1 XFL?

Personally enjoyed it, kickoff rule and the pat stuff are very different, love hearing the coaches calling the plays,playing standard wasn't too bad, heres hoping day 2 action is as good 

and..... https://www.iheart.com/content/2020-02-06-christian-activist-wants-to-sue-nfl-for-867-trillion-over-halftime-show/

I liked it a lot! Any football is good football to me, but the fact that the XFL is basically just a B-League NFL with altered rules, a billionaire backing it, and it's televised on (some) local channels, is a huge huge win for me. Go Defenders!

8 hours ago, Conker said:

Well that was a short suspension for Myles Garrett https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/28685713/nfl-reinstates-browns-myles-garrett-suspension

Reallly sends a strong message.....1f610.png

If he transgresses again anytime soon, the banhammer will come down upon him.  This suspension was short, the next one might be forever.

2 hours ago, Conker said:

So Early this Thursday morning USA , it was reported thenlions were trying to trade Matthew Stafford , though the Lions call the news false https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2020/02/13/bob-quinn-calls-matthew-stafford-trade-talk-report-false/

@majob 

It's true but the FO probably doesn't want it to be big news just yet. Stafford has one more year on his contract before the Lions can trade him and he won't count on the cap and it's an open secret that they're likely to choose a successor in the draft. Stafford has been with team ten years, got a big money contract and performed worse after he got paid. His time with the franchise is over and Quinn and Patricia are looking for a solution to save their own skins.

Honestly though, Stafford isn't the problem with the team, far from it, but he's definitely about to take the fall

Edited by majob

$32 million in dead money if the Lions trade Matthew Stafford (or cut him prior to June 1st).  Which is an increase of $10.7 million over his cap figure if he plays for them this year.  (These numbers courtesy of OverTheCap, thank you very much.)  So unless Detroit is getting back some very good stuff in a Stafford trade, I don't see the sense for them to do so.  It would cost them cap, and it probably costs their Head Coach his job and maybe the GM as well.

But what the hell do I know?  I root for a team that's every bit as dysfunctional.

On 2/12/2020 at 1:40 PM, majob said:

As I said earlier there was no way the players union would let the suspension be indefinite and nor would Browns ownership. 

Absolutely right.

'Indefinite' was the NFL's assurance he wasn't coming back for the playoffs, on the miniscule chance the Browns actually qualified.  Suspension wasn't going beyond this season as you have a first-time offender and Rudolph didn't get hurt. 

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000001102112/article/myles-garrett-reiterates-mason-rudolph-called-him-slur

He was asked immediately after the game if Rudolph said anything and he said no. Later he changed his story. Still think it's total bullshit, but even if it wasn't, still doesn't excuse what he did...and I think he got off way too easily.

Two weeks into the XFL and it's not bad (it's also not something that needs a thread right now).  I like the kickoff rule and hearing the reviews is cool, sideline interviews gotta go though, shoving a mic in the players' faces during a game doesn't work and hearing "I just gotta play better" over and over during a game gets old real quick.  Also hoping that in the future it'll be more young players who were just on the cusp of making it into the NFL and have something to prove and less former NFL players who are trying to have one last hurrah.

Edited by skidmarkgn

Yeah I'd say the XFL is far and away better than the AAF, those guys looked like they didn't even practice. I've likened the XFL to slightly above average college football, which is pretty good in and of itself. I definitely prefer their PAT scheme though, kicks are so boring and almost always automatic, making the  team work a bit for that extra point makes things more interesting.

5 hours ago, majob said:

Yeah I'd say the XFL is far and away better than the AAF, those guys looked like they didn't even practice. I've likened the XFL to slightly above average college football, which is pretty good in and of itself. I definitely prefer their PAT scheme though, kicks are so boring and almost always automatic, making the  team work a bit for that extra point makes things more interesting.

Yeah it’s definitely better then AAF and I love the kickoff rule tbh, more exciting then a normal touchback, I just hope the product continues to stay strong as do the crowds

7 hours ago, Conker said:

You know, as much as Seattle and Carolina have played each other over the years you'd think I might now anything about Olson, lol.  I guess he could bring a leadership to the room that could help and I know Seattle's swimming in cap space this year (pretty sure I heard they were at about 60 million).  Add to that Willson is all but gone and letting Dickson go will save around $3 million against the cap, essentially taking Olson down to $4 million for the year and I guess it's alright.  Not great but whatever.

• 3 weeks later...
1 minute ago, skidmarkgn said:

So, sounds like if there is an NFL season this year there's going to be a #7 seed in the playoffs now huh?

And now the #1 seed will be extremely important. I wonder which division will be the first to bring all four teams on january football

So yeah the CBA passed, I don’t mind playing more games but I hate how we are gonna have more playoff teams and only 1 seed gets a bye, so for all you that hate .500 or worse teams making the playoffs, you might see that happening more now . 

So how long till season goes to 18 games instead of 17 ?

I personally don't like the season extension, 16 games was a sweet spot and the playoff system had its flaws but it was pretty fair. Now we're going to have more tired teams, worse performances, and another shot for a bad team to be in the playoffs where they don't belong. As for there possibly being a season, they're fortunate enough that nothing officially happens until August and they're possibly hoping the pandemic is done by then but I find that very unlikely. Detroit just had several cases and I know several NFL teams are shutting down training facilities. I wouldn't bank on there being a season this year, either that or a shortened one.

Edited by majob

9 hours ago, majob said:

I personally don't like the season extension, 16 games was a sweet spot and the playoff system had its flaws but it was pretty fair. Now we're going to have more tired teams, worse performances, and another shot for a bad team to be in the playoffs where they don't belong. As for there possibly being a season, they're fortunate enough that nothing officially happens until August and they're possibly hoping the pandemic is done by then but I find that very unlikely. Detroit just had several cases and I know several NFL teams are shutting down training facilities. I wouldn't bank on there being a season this year, either that or a shortened one.

11 hours ago, Conker said:

So yeah the CBA passed, I don’t mind playing more games but I hate how we are gonna have more playoff teams and only 1 seed gets a bye, so for all you that hate .500 or worse teams making the playoffs, you might see that happening more now . 

So how long till season goes to 18 games instead of 17 1f914.png

8-8 Steelers and 9-7 Rams... It's matter of time and the 7th seed will be a sub .500