National Football League Thread

cmgravekeeper

Saints offense got more dangerous with the addition of Emmanuel Sanders https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/28933511/emmanuel-sanders-agrees-2-year-deal-saints

The Denver Broncos are getting Melvin Gordon https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/28931790/source-ex-chargers-rb-melvin-gordon-agrees-broncos so Will he be starter or backup to Phillip Lindsay ?

9 hours ago, djb5f said:

Patriots should still win it.  That was not vintage Brady last year.

Buffalo's defense is probably every bit as good as New England's defense.  I'm willing to reserve judgment on a "favorite" until we see who the Patriots get to play Quarterback for them, but as things stand right now I'd probably tab the Bills because Josh Allen >>> Jarrett Stidham.  But if they were to land Cam Newton and Newton is healthy, I could be talked around to New England sustaining their run.

8 hours ago, Conker said:

Saints offense got more dangerous with the addition of Emmanuel Sanders https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/28933511/emmanuel-sanders-agrees-2-year-deal-saints

More dangerous?  Yeah, Sanders is better than anything else they have to plug that particular hole.  But it's an expensive luxury signing for that spot at his price tag considering the number of WRs out there on the UFA market plus the supposed depth of the draft.  I think the Saints could have found a cheaper option and plowed the savings into somewhere else on their roster.

• 1 month later...
4 hours ago, kidson2004 said:

Gronk to Tampa trade confirmed. Oh boy!! 

Tampa is clearly winning the off-season.  But I'm not sure they're going to win the regular season.  Who knows what Tom Brady has left in the tank at his age, and who knows what you're going to get out of Rob Gronkowski.  Gronk was a diminished player the last time he stepped on the field and that was quite some time ago.

I still think New Orleans is the team to beat in that division.  Unless you're talking about teams that are probably going to have a lousy record as "the team to beat", in which case I nominate Atlanta and Carolina.  The Buccaneers will be okay, but I'm not sure "okay" is good enough to make them a Wild Card team, even with the field expanded.

Kind of shocked Gronk unretired, i thought he was happy and he was doing other stuff to, So indeed will be interesting how he performs as does this whole Bucs team with the new expectations there gonna get. Ticket sales will rise,more national televised games too, but real question is can they overtake the recent powerhouse in the NFC South the Saints and even potentially to some exteant if they perform for a full season the Falcons

13 hours ago, acasser said:

Tampa is clearly winning the off-season.  But I'm not sure they're going to win the regular season.  Who knows what Tom Brady has left in the tank at his age, and who knows what you're going to get out of Rob Gronkowski.  Gronk was a diminished player the last time he stepped on the field and that was quite some time ago.

Wasn't Jameis Winston the most sacked QB in the NFL last season? I'm not sure Tom did his homework on scouting O-lines in his free agency.  But with the Gronk signing, TB has some scary receiving threats. 

10 hours ago, PerryToxteth said:

Wasn't Jameis Winston the most sacked QB in the NFL last season? I'm not sure Tom did his homework on scouting O-lines in his free agency.  But with the Gronk signing, TB has some scary receiving threats. 

I know he was the first QB in League history to throw 30 TDs and 30 interceptions in the same season.  Winston was sacked a lot, but this list suggests he was "only" 5th in the League in that category last season.

Honestly, I don't know how many teams even took a serious run at Tom Brady.  I suspect the number was small for a lot of reasons.

Tampa has a good-looking receiving corps.... on paper.  But it's not like Jameis Winston is a complete fuck-up under center.  Winston threw for a ton of yardage and a lot of TDs, and you don't do that without some level of talent.  Is Winston a good QB?  Not really, at least in my book.  But I'm skeptical that Tom Brady at his advancing age and declining skills is that guy, either.  Nor is the schedule going to do him a huge number of favors next season.

If Tampa ends up in a Wild Card spot -- assuming we even have a season -- it's going to be because there's an additional Wild Card to be had next year.  Short of Drew Brees imploding, I don't see the Buccaneers as serious threats in that division.  And there's probably going to be a lot of competition for those last three berths.

5 hours ago, acasser said:

I know he was the first QB in League history to throw 30 TDs and 30 interceptions in the same season.  Winston was sacked a lot, but this list suggests he was "only" 5th in the League in that category last season.

Honestly, I don't know how many teams even took a serious run at Tom Brady.  I suspect the number was small for a lot of reasons.

Tampa has a good-looking receiving corps.... on paper.  But it's not like Jameis Winston is a complete fuck-up under center.  Winston threw for a ton of yardage and a lot of TDs, and you don't do that without some level of talent.  Is Winston a good QB?  Not really, at least in my book.  But I'm skeptical that Tom Brady at his advancing age and declining skills is that guy, either.  Nor is the schedule going to do him a huge number of favors next season.

If Tampa ends up in a Wild Card spot -- assuming we even have a season -- it's going to be because there's an additional Wild Card to be had next year.  Short of Drew Brees imploding, I don't see the Buccaneers as serious threats in that division.  And there's probably going to be a lot of competition for those last three berths.

I beg to differ, with today's offense babying rules and focus on the passing game, even hacks like Winston can post impressive yardage numbers. 

So what everyone think of first round of the draft?

we saw Some picks go as expected 

Joe Burow to Bengals

Tua to Dolphins

Chase young to Redskins

Chargers get there future qb in Justin Herbert, Packers doing same after getting Jordan Love, lots of lineman taken, Raiders,Cowboys,Broncos and Vikings getting the big name wr’s whilst Eagles got one the lesser wr’s, the defending champs get a rb and the Patriots trading out of first round still with big questions to answer.

2 curious ones though were Saints getting a Center and dolphins getting another CB even after there big free agency moves for corners.

And The virtual draft went better then expected, and was announced its going to Las Vegas in 2022

1 hour ago, Conker said:

So what everyone think of first round of the draft?

we saw Some picks go as expected 

Joe Burow to Bengals

Tua to Dolphins

Chase young to Redskins

Chargers get there future qb in Justin Herbert, Packers doing same after getting Jordan Love, lots of lineman taken, Raiders,Cowboys,Broncos and Vikings getting the big name wr’s whilst Eagles got one the lesser wr’s, the defending champs get a rb and the Patriots trading out of first round still with big questions to answer.

2 curious ones though were Saints getting a Center and dolphins getting another CB even after there big free agency moves for corners.

And The virtual draft went better then expected, and was announced its going to Las Vegas in 2022

Is GB getting a new QB not curious enough?

29 minutes ago, Maverick6146 said:

Aaron Rodgers is 36 and will be 37 in December.  And the same age that Brett Favre was when the Packers drafted Rodgers in the first place.

I think it's a reasonable move to have made that particular selection, so long as you think Jordan Love is a starting NFL Quarterback.  I'm of the opinion that he's not, or that he won't pan out to be one, but other than that I think the move is defensible.  Especially in a year like this one when a lot of rookies are going to get off to very slow starts because of the lack of training camps and rookie camps and the like due to reasons.

As for my team, Gang Green -- a.k.a., the Jets?  I'm happy with what they did.  I actually kept the Draft on as background noise last night -- as opposed to shutting the TV off entirely for lack of anything palatable to listen to -- and I was very pleased to see how things developed and the Jets getting their guy.  Yes, the flagged drug test is a concern, but it's quite possible that the Jets have found their next D'Brickshaw Ferguson and that would be a good thing for this team.

They still need help in a bunch of places on the roster, but that's what the rest of the Draft is for.

I was kind of underwhelmed to be honest. Seems every team took the safe route this year but I guess that's to be expected with everything going on. Lions taking a cb was expected but their secondary is still shot either way, especially after trading Slay.

48 minutes ago, Maverick6146 said:

Remember all the harmonious talk of Rodgers and LaFleur getting along splendidly last season? (Cue needle scratching record). 

Jordan Love is evidence that wasn't quite the case. Imagine Rodgers' reaction last night - after getting his team within a sniff of a Super Bowl - and discovering his team didn't add an extra piece to get them there, but grabbed a bench player for the next two seasons. 

That was a shot across the bow at Rodgers. And Rodgers has thin skin so let's watch the slow and painful divorce preceedings unfold.  As a Viking fan, I can't wait!   :yay:

12 minutes ago, majob said:

I was kind of underwhelmed to be honest. Seems every team took the safe route this year but I guess that's to be expected with everything going on. Lions taking a cb was expected but their secondary is still shot either way, especially after trading Slay.

That one was a bit of a head-scratcher. Let's cut our best corner and then just draft his replacement. Of course, the Vikes pretty much did the same thing with Jefferson for Diggs. But at least they traded Diggs and ended up having two first-round picks. 

Now I just hope and pray the Vikes GM watched the SF playoff loss tape last night and remembers we need sone serious O-line help tonight! 

32 minutes ago, PerryToxteth said:

That one was a bit of a head-scratcher. Let's cut our best corner and then just draft his replacement. Of course, the Vikes pretty much did the same thing with Jefferson for Diggs. But at least they traded Diggs and ended up having two first-round picks. 

Now I just hope and pray the Vikes GM watched the SF playoff loss tape last night and remembers we need sone serious O-line help tonight! 

Patricia has removed basically every player that wasn't on board with him and Quinn most likely saw it as a cap saver since Slay is the highest paid corner right now. Still stupid either way. Diggs was a primmadonna from what I hear so Zimmer just cut out the cancer

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/3/2020 at 4:39 AM, Baranov_925 said:

That's a question for American football experts - how good Sebastian Janikowski was when he played in Oakland Raiders?

Pretty sure Janikowski is the GOAT of the kicking position. Guy could legit go to Canton

• Like 1

On 5/3/2020 at 4:39 AM, Baranov_925 said:

That's a question for American football experts - how good Sebastian Janikowski was when he played in Oakland Raiders?

Dude liked his buffets.

21 minutes ago, majob said:

Pretty sure Janikowski is the GOAT of the kicking position. Guy could legit go to Canton

Justin Tucker begs to differ

25 minutes ago, djb5f said:

Dude liked his buffets.

JT is just more accurate. Jani was a first round pick, has the longest attempt and the longevity but I don't deny Tucker is legit as well and could give Jani a run for his money if he continues his career

Edited by majob

8 hours ago, djb5f said:

Dude liked his buffets.

8 hours ago, majob said:

JT is just more accurate. Jani was a first round pick, has the longest attempt and the longevity but I don't deny Tucker is legit as well and could give Jani a run for his money if he continues his career

This is what happen when the world sports scene shuts down - an argument over kickers.:P

I'd say they're both among the greats at their position. Back to the question on Janikowski, OAK and Al Davis were widely ridiculed for taking him in the first round.  Looking back, it really paid off by securing their kicker for 16 years. And most NFL teams would gladly take security at that spot for a decade and a half. 

• Like 1