National Football League Thread

cmgravekeeper

19 hours ago, Conker said:

So far today in week 1, early games

Rodgers put 43 on Vikings

- Septuagenarian Lynn Dickey could have suited back up for the Pack yesterday and done just as well. Vikings purged their overrated, overpriced cornerbacks from 2019 and now start inexperienced raw meat at corner. The “veteran” of the group, Mike Hughes, has never been impressive.  Might as well start calling them the Covid Corners, bc they did a great job of socially distancing from the GB receivers. 

Adding to the defensive misery is a lack of a pass rush, with Danielle Hunter out for...let’s just say awhile. Neck injuries never good. Vikes fleece Jaguars in a trade for Yannick Ngouke and he wouldn’t have registered a sack on Rodgers in flag football yesterday.

- Our O-line is STILL not fixed. Typical Cousins game. Flashes of a Good Kirk. Bouts of Bad Kirk. 
Purple might make the playoffs, but will be easy knockoffs in the first round. 

In other news, I saw most of the Cincy game and Joe Burrow wasn’t impressive until the final drive. Finally looked poised and made assertive throws; in most of the game he couldn’t make quick decisions and ended up scrambling for a few yards. Not a wise offense if he’s going to last 16 games. Of course, the Bengals are the Bungles and the kicker missed the game-tying FG and probably got hurt in the process. 

12 hours ago, djb5f said:

Amazing how the Rams seem to be the beneficiary of controversial pass interference calls/non-calls.

Ramsey bobs his head back and gets a flag.  The equivalent of flopping in basketball.  Effective though.  Ruined what would have been an exciting ending.

Rams also had a call go against them on Goff's pick when Smith blasted him in the face, it all balances out in the end.

Anyone else a little put off by the fake crowd noise? I understand the necessity since crowd noise is a strategic factor in football but the knowledge of the fact that the stadiums are really almost entirely empty made me feel like it was so plastic

Edited by majob
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, majob said:

Anyone else a little put off by the fake crowd noise? I understand the necessity since crowd noise is a strategic factor in football but the knowledge of the fact that the stadiums are really almost entirely empty made me feel like it was so plastic

US Bank sounded like it was invaded by a million hornets yesterday. Just a constant buzz with no ups or downs. And in typical drunk Viking fan fashion, the artificial crowd was making a ton of noise while the offense was on the field. :facepalm:

• Like 1

7 hours ago, majob said:

There are so many other things the NFL is doing right now that both me a lot more than this.  I don't like the artificial noise, and I recall teams being penalized for employing it themselves in the past, but it's so far down the list of things that I'd change about the NFL right now that it's nothing to me.

• Like 1

Bit of a long shot but wondering if we have any other NFL Fantasy Draft players around?

I did my first draft this year with some friends, im in the UK, i follow NFL a bit, mostly just watch Patriots games as i 'support' them as much as anyone from the UK can but dont keep up with every other team around. (Other than knowing the browns suck :P)

So anyways, the draft i did with friends was an 8 team standard snake draft. Being new to the draft i sorta went overboard on the WR/RB picks and ended up with 5 RBs and 5 WRs.

I have to drop one to pick up a sub TE and just wondering which is the best choice to drop.

Choices for RB - Nick Chubb, Ronald Jones, Adrian Peterson, Devin Singletary

Choices for WR - DeVante Parker, Terry Mclaughlin, OBJ and Calvin Ridley.

Im thinking the best option out of those to drop is Nick Chubb, any opinions? :P
I woulda said AP but he looks like he could be huge for Detroit this season and i wanna hold onto OBJ because if the rumors of him going to Patriots is true, he could be really useful.

wow 26-7 down and my Cowboys comeback to Beat the Falcons on a last second fg, but the real question is what were the Falcons thinking on the on-side kick, literally get it they win, but they somehow didn't

Also some big injuries today, Nick Bosa,Jimmy G,Mostert,  Drew Lock,Saquon (reportedly ACL tear) 

Pack put up 40 again, Rivers first win for Colts, Brady first win as a Buc, 

Titans, Bears, Steelers, Rams and Bills both 2-0

Falcons,Eagles,Vikings, Giants, Lions, Panthers, Dolphins,Jets , Broncos all 0-2

Edited by Conker
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, skidmarkgn said:

At this rate the 9ers won't have a team left come the 2nd half of the season.

With 8 or 9 starters out we can beat the Jets, but it's almost impossible to come out in the toughest division... I wonder if niners can play a freaking season without so many injuries

Chargers were unlucky to lose to the Cheifs yesterday at least in my opinion but damn did Justin Herbert look good like really good he only made 2 mistakes all game that I can think of and saw anyway (because I watch redzone) I'd be surprised if Taylor played again this season for the Chargers but I guess we shall see what happens. My Giants also continue to be abysmal but to be honest I expected it and I really wouldn't be surprised if we decided to move on from Jones once the season is over with if he doesn't show rapid improvement.

So 2 questions.

1 - When the Cowboys win the East, how many games will it take to enjoy that free pass to a home game in the playoffs?  I'm saying 7 wins clinches the division.

2 - Who's gone first, Quinn or Patricia?  As bad as Patricia is, Quinn's time in Atlanta has been a disaster.  Even taking that team to the Superbowl resulted in them blowing the biggest lead in SB history(?), add to that when you throw out the stat 440-1, his team's the "and 1" and it ain't the good kinda "and 1".  

4 minutes ago, skidmarkgn said:

So 2 questions.

1 - When the Cowboys win the East, how many games will it take to enjoy that free pass to a home game in the playoffs?  I'm saying 7 wins clinches the division.

Yes, but I am not writing off the Eagles yet.  They tend to sneak through.

The current NFC East reminds me of the old days of the NFC West where 7-9 could win you the division and host a Saints team with a much better record (Seahawks).  And the year the Cardinals went to the Super Bowl they were only 9-7 but benefited from winning a really bad NFC West and got to host multiple games in the playoffs I believe.  It’s all cyclical.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, skidmarkgn said:

So 2 questions.

2 - Who's gone first, Quinn or Patricia?  As bad as Patricia is, Quinn's time in Atlanta has been a disaster.  Even taking that team to the Superbowl resulted in them blowing the biggest lead in SB history(?), add to that when you throw out the stat 440-1, his team's the "and 1" and it ain't the good kinda "and 1".  

The NFC EAST is still anyone’s and wouldn’t shock me if it’s 8-8 or 7-9 

and for coaches gone first Patricia or Gase would be tops along with Quinn

3 hours ago, skidmarkgn said:

Adam Gase says "hold my beer sippy cup!"

Detroit has their bye week rather early -- Week 5.  So I don't think Matt Patricia is a good candidate to get bumped off at that rather opportune window and therefore probably makes it at least 12 or 13 games into the season.

Atlanta has their bye during Week 10.  The Jets have their bye during Week 11 (and might have to beat Miami in Week 10 just to reach it at 1-9).  So I suppose Dan Quinn has a slight lead, but nothing that Adam Gase can't overcome with his expertise.

3 hours ago, djb5f said:

Yes, but I am not writing off the Eagles yet.  They tend to sneak through.

The current NFC East reminds me of the old days of the NFC West where 7-9 could win you the division and host a Saints team with a much better record (Seahawks).  And the year the Cardinals went to the Super Bowl they were only 9-7 but benefited from winning a really bad NFC West and got to host multiple games in the playoffs I believe.  It’s all cyclical.

I see what you did there, all good though, I did my time when the West was a joke and enjoyed people coming at me a'plenty for it. Not too long ago the South had to endure theirs (couldn't help but noticed you leaving out the 7-8-1 Panthers), right now it's the East's turn and the North seems to be a Rodgers retirement away from taking over. So like you said, cyclical.

23 minutes ago, acasser said:

Adam Gase says "hold my beer sippy cup!"

Detroit has their bye week rather early -- Week 5.  So I don't think Matt Patricia is a good candidate to get bumped off at that rather opportune window and therefore probably makes it at least 12 or 13 games into the season.

Atlanta has their bye during Week 10.  The Jets have their bye during Week 11 (and might have to beat Miami in Week 10 just to reach it at 1-9).  So I suppose Dan Quinn has a slight lead, but nothing that Adam Gase can't overcome with his expertise.

I was considering adding Gase's name but the ownership seems to be behind his offensive... I believe "genius" was the word they used?

7 hours ago, skidmarkgn said:

So 2 questions.

I don't feel any coach will be fired this season even if their team went 0-16

4 hours ago, skidmarkgn said:

I see what you did there, all good though, I did my time when the West was a joke and enjoyed people coming at me a'plenty for it. Not too long ago the South had to endure theirs (couldn't help but noticed you leaving out the 7-8-1 Panthers), right now it's the East's turn and the North seems to be a Rodgers retirement away from taking over. So like you said, cyclical.

I was considering adding Gase's name but the ownership seems to be behind his offensive... I believe "genius" was the word they used?

At least Seattle and Arizona won their playoff games... Couldn't say the same about East ?

Bosa out for the season... another one or two injuries and bye bye niners for this year

12 hours ago, skidmarkgn said:

If the Jets are floundering about like they are now when it comes to the Bye Week, I don't believe they'll have much of a choice.  There will be a LOT of public pressure to "do something" and right now the Jets' offense is a complete catastrophe.  It's ineffective, the play-calling is horrendous, and Adam Gase simply doesn't seem to understand how to put the pieces he does have in positions to succeed.

GM Joe Banner has job security.  He could justify blowing up the offense this off-season and drafting a QB and hitting the reset button on that thing.

9 hours ago, majob said:

I don't feel any coach will be fired this season even if their team went 0-16

Add Zimmer to the hot seat. Last week’s lost in Indy was just ghastly. Normally when your team loses, you can pinpoint it down to a couple key plays, untimely turnovers, bad player performance by a few individuals, etc. The Vikings defeat on Sunday was a collective effort. Not one player in that locker room can hang their head high in their performance. Every position unit played poorly in stretches of the game. 
  Kirk has been catching most of the heat with his 15.9 QB rating but it by no means can it be piled on him. Two of the three INT’s were end of the half prayers, third was off the receiver’s hands. Not sure how many drops the team had, but our TE had four. FOUR! :facepalm:
 Did Kirk play well? Absolutely not. One of his worst games in purple. But the QB rating indicates it was one of the worst in Viking history and trust me, I’ve seen many that were plenty worse. 

I haven’t seen a collective team loss this bad for quite some time. This looks like an omen for the season. Offseason moves were needed, but made the team much younger. Diggs forced trade has rolled the double-coverage to Thielen.  And now two top D players in Hunter and Barr are out. Unless things change dramatically, an 0-5 start is a real possibility.  

Hot seat gets Hotter for Dan Quinn and Adam Gase maybe add Doug Pederson and Mike Zimmer now.

And who starts at qb for the Bears now after Nick Foles leads them to the comeback win, 

Bills Continue to show people they are great team in there thrilling win over the rams

Think I'm gonna officially check the "liability" box when it comes to Seattle's defense, and if Adams is out for an extended amount of time I shudder to think how bad it's gonna get.  That's with zero divisional games played so far.  Rams and Cards are matchup nightmares and who knows what kind of condition the 9ers will be in when those games roll around.  Tough sledding with this division.