National Football League Thread

cmgravekeeper

Adam Gase isn't going to get fired tomorrow.  Or the next day.  But another putrid performance on Thursday night and talk radio (plus perhaps a banner trailing a bi-plane) can probably talk the Idiot Interim Owner into shoving the guy overboard while the Jets have ten days off.

I wouldn't do it this soon, but Gase isn't doing himself any favors.

3 hours ago, Conker said:

Hot seat gets Hotter for Dan Quinn and Adam Gase maybe add Doug Pederson and Mike Zimmer now.

And who starts at qb for the Bears now after Nick Foles leads them to the comeback win, 

Bills Continue to show people they are great team in there thrilling win over the rams

Pederson just won the Super Bowl.  His seat is not hot.

18 hours ago, skidmarkgn said:

Think I'm gonna officially check the "liability" box when it comes to Seattle's defense, and if Adams is out for an extended amount of time I shudder to think how bad it's gonna get.  That's with zero divisional games played so far.  Rams and Cards are matchup nightmares and who knows what kind of condition the 9ers will be in when those games roll around.  Tough sledding with this division.

9ers played without TWELVE starters... Bosa out for the season, Thomas out for the season... I'm less comfortable than you.

They can win against NYs poor teams, expecially sorry-coach Garrett who can't notice CBs were 4th and 5th string players... But won't be that easy against Russell nor the toughest division in football.

5 hours ago, Zio_Sam87 said:

9ers played without TWELVE starters... Bosa out for the season, Thomas out for the season... I'm less comfortable than you.

They can win against NYs poor teams, expecially sorry-coach Garrett who can't notice CBs were 4th and 5th string players... But won't be that easy against Russell nor the toughest division in football.

Hopefully for you guys the 9ers will get as many guys back as possible once their schedule gets tougher, I mean, if you're gonna be down that many guys at least it's during a 4 game stretch (well, 3 and a half, the Dolphins look like they still might be decent to good) where the opponents have a combined record of 1-10-1 right.  

On 9/27/2020 at 9:22 PM, djb5f said:

Pederson just won the Super Bowl.  His seat is not hot.

On 9/28/2020 at 0:33 PM, Conker said:

Yeah I would agree but ya know how Philly is ? though good thing for them is they play in the embarrassment called the NFC EAST

I think someone is messing around with Wikipedia. Apparently, Pederson is already the former head coach of Philly.

Well that was a fun Thursday game between to winless teams with the Denver Broncos winning behind Brett Rypien who played fair making some good plays and some awful ints, some good play from there young wr’s too.

Jets on other hand, kept in game till late but  very ill disciplined throughout the game and especially at the end of the game, to the point of dragging the time out for no reason, leaving to both coaches not even meeting up at end like normally do 

3 hours ago, Conker said:

Jets on other hand, kept in game till late but  very ill disciplined throughout the game and especially at the end of the game, to the point of dragging the time out for no reason, leaving to both coaches not even meeting up at end like normally do 

- Brett Rypien, this year’s Gardner Minshew?

- “Ill disciplined” is the key word about the Jets. They can’t get out of their own way. Four personal foul penalties in first half? I think the Vikings played them two years ago and they were shooting themselves in the foot back then too. Hard to tell if the offense is failing bc of Darnold, or having no one block in front of him. I’d like to think the latter. Jets fans can at least be thankful they didn’t pick Josh Rosen, whose next career of pumping gas might begin in 2021.

10 hours ago, PerryToxteth said:

“Ill disciplined” is the key word about the Jets. They can’t get out of their own way. Four personal foul penalties in first half? I think the Vikings played them two years ago and they were shooting themselves in the foot back then too. Hard to tell if the offense is failing bc of Darnold, or having no one block in front of him. I’d like to think the latter. Jets fans can at least be thankful they didn’t pick Josh Rosen, whose next career of pumping gas might begin in 2021.

The lack of discipline is just one of many problems for these Jets.  Not just the number of penalties like that they're taking, but it seems every one extends a drive and/or puts the opponent in prime scoring position.  I understand that this is part and parcel of a Gregg Williams defense, and the lack of discipline is one of the things that also got Todd Bowles fired two years ago, but it's getting to be a bit too much.

Alas, these Jets have a lot of other problems as well.  Other than their run defense -- excepting the two or three huge plays they give up per game and their inability to contain a running QB -- I can't think of a single thing they do well.  Which includes the coaching and play-calling.

Double alas, they probably did enough last night to keep the Idiot Interim Owner from firing Wonderboy the Head Coach.  At least until they hit their bye at 0-10 or 1-9 -- their schedule the next five weeks makes "brutal" seem tame by comparison.

Oh, and the Jets offensive failures are a group thing.  There are a ton of injuries and the weapons remaining to Sam Darnold would probably suck compared to some college teams.  Darnold himself makes too many poor decisions, attempting terrible throws into coverage and/or taking sacks more often than anybody should.  And I'd be insulting low-IQ people everywhere if I said the playcalling was simply moronic because actual morons and actual idiots and the like actually have a defined level of intelligence per the dictionaries and such.  I'm not sure I can say the same about the Jets' offensive gameplans.

• Like 1

And now Patriots-Chiefs is postponed because of the virus.  With players on both sides including Cam Newton testing positive for the virus.

This is starting to remind me of the early stages of the "avalanche" of cancellations and postponements that hit the sporting world in early March.  Which led to sports closing their doors for months rather quickly.

I mean, I don't care particularly much at this point:  my team may be the worst in the NFL, the team we share a stadium with may be the 2nd worst in the NFL, and the whole "social justice" thing has really soured me on the League.  But there are probably people who still care and people whose livelihoods are connected to this who I think are about to get a massive dose of bad news in the not-too-distant future.  Because it seems to me that the NFL model isn't working very well, especially when compared to how well the NHL and NBA worked (albeit in their bubble environments).

• Like 1

On 10/4/2020 at 0:39 AM, Conker said:

Unfortunately Detroit is the biggest hotbed for the virus In Michigan right now so I'm not surprised. The longer this season goes on, the less it feels like it was a good idea to do so. I love the fact we have it right now but some teams are in cities that have a high case numbers, it's almost inevitable some players are going to get it

48 minutes ago, majob said:

Unfortunately Detroit is the biggest hotbed for the virus In Michigan right now so I'm not surprised. The longer this season goes on, the less it feels like it was a good idea to do so. I love the fact we have it right now but some teams are in cities that have a high case numbers, it's almost inevitable some players are going to get it

Probably would have been better it wasn’t played, your lions wouldn’t have blown another double digit lead, you must be sick and tied of all the blown leads

11 hours ago, Conker said:

Probably would have been better it wasn’t played, your lions wouldn’t have blown another double digit lead, you must be sick and tied of all the blown leads

When you're a Lions fan, you watch a game with no expectations.

22 minutes ago, acasser said:

We were all wrong.  The "winner" of the "First Coach to Be Fired in 2020" award is Bill O'Brien!

He deserves it for his GM job, to be sure, but did anybody see this coming before all the other guys we chattered about above?

Probably put himself in the hot seat with the Hopkins trade. I watched the Vikings - Texans game yesterday. Neither team was stellar, but BOB was also calling offensive plays and some were suspect. Seriously, who let him become Football Czar?!? 
But the biggest telltale sign is they are last in rushing defense. That’s usually a good indicator that the team has quit.

52 minutes ago, acasser said:

We were all wrong.  The "winner" of the "First Coach to Be Fired in 2020" award is Bill O'Brien!

He deserves it for his GM job, to be sure, but did anybody see this coming before all the other guys we chattered about above?

Thought he would be an end of the season loss for sure.  Guess a surprise 0-4 start will accelerate things pretty handily though.

6 hours ago, acasser said:

Didn't see it happening til seasons end, now lets begin the Dabo Swinney to Texans start/rumors :P 

6 hours ago, Conker said:

Didn't see it happening til seasons end, now lets begin the Dabo Swinney to Texans start/rumors :P 

Why would Dabo Swinney want that job?  Clemson is a much more cushy spot from which to demonstrate his superiority, and probably one that pays better, too.

I have difficulty seeing Houston being able to get a competent, rising young GM for that job.  Bill O'Brien was a disaster as personnel manager, and he's traded away far too many high draft picks to make rebuilding that roster an easy deal.  I suspect the Texans might have to do what the Jets did and give somebody six years and a lot of autonomy and then let that guy try and hire a Head Coach.  Because the Texans are probably locked into the core of that roster for the next two years before they can start making major changes between the lack of picks and the falling cap.