National Football League Thread

cmgravekeeper

4 hours ago, starcrunch061 said:

Did anyone watch any of the Rams-49ers game last night? I saw a call which worried me immensely. It was ultimately overturned, but it was just another example of officials being stupid as shit.

A Niner player rushes for a few yards, landing on his stomach. He flips over to his back, and tosses the ball away. All of this took about 3 seconds. The play was dead...or should have been, but apparently, an official didn't blow the whistle. A Ram player picked up the ball, and ran it back to the Niner 5-yard-line or so. The officials called it a fumble. Ultimately, it was overturned, because a Ram player's hand grazed the helmet of the Niner, which counted as contact.

We're not talking about some guy showboating and dropping the ball before he crosses the endzone. It was clear that the play was dead. Players on both sides had slowed down.

I gotta disagree with you on this one.  On a play like that I very much prefer the refs swallow their whistles and let replay sort it out.  Over the past couple seasons there's been too many times where the opposite happened and the refs blow a play dead on what was actually a turnover and the defenses get screwed.  Hell, it just happened to Seattle last week against Minnesota, a defensive td was taken away from the Seahawks because the refs blew a play dead.  There ended up being an official review for whatever reason (I can't remember the details of the play) and the call was overturned but Seattle only got the ball where the turnover happened instead of the td.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On another topic, I'm wondering if Doug Marronr's name should be added to the head-roll list.  Jaguars had 3 consecutive losses to winless teams this year and they're a hot mess.

Edited by skidmarkgn
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, MidnightDragon said:

Any bets on which coach's head will roll next? I'm guessing Adam Gase or Mike Zimmer.

Gase,Maronne,Zimmer are the top 3 to be next fired

But serioursly Gase should have been gone long ago  xD 

6 hours ago, skidmarkgn said:

I gotta disagree with you on this one.  On a play like that I very much prefer the refs swallow their whistles and let replay sort it out.  Over the past couple seasons there's been too many times where the opposite happened and the refs blow a play dead on what was actually a turnover and the defenses get screwed.  Hell, it just happened to Seattle last week against Minnesota, a defensive td was taken away from the Seahawks because the refs blew a play dead.  There ended up being an official review for whatever reason (I can't remember the details of the play) and the call was overturned but Seattle only got the ball where the turnover happened instead of the td.

I don't know, as a Niners I was really scared about that bad call and the tons of times they took to overturn it... And they did the same later on when the ref wasn't looking Garoppolo and didn't realize it was a forward pass and not a fumble. Zebras are worst every season :facepalm:

• Like 1

Hearing a lot of rumors about Antonio Brown potentially coming to the Seahawks.  Wanna voice my most vehement no, multiplied by infinity.  There's no way he'd accept being, at best, a #2 receiver (DK has become "the guy" and Lockett is basically 1a) and hes already torn two teams apart from the inside out.  Receiving core is fine.  No, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no,.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, majob said:

You've got Evans, Brown, and Gronk all on the same line, it's going to be a matchup nightmare

It could be.... but I'm less confident in that Quarterback than I have been in a very long time.  A high-quality receiving corps can make a Quaterback look better than he is, but said corps with a high-quality Quarterback is even better.

I just don't believe Tom Brady is that good anymore, no matter what his numbers and Tampa's record say.  And I don't believe Tampa is going to be a good enough team -- even with all those weapons if they reach that magical land where everybody is fully healthy -- that's going to win a couple of road Playoff games (and maybe even a couple of home Playoff games).

Assuming we even get a Playoffs.

The divisional games finally start for Seattle.  I honestly don't think the Hawks match up well with any of the other teams in the division and I'll be happy as shit if they can pull off 3-3 when it's all said and done.  And if I'm not mistaken one of the games is against Arizona on a Thursday night, which has historically been disastrous.

2 minutes ago, skidmarkgn said:

The divisional games finally start for Seattle.  I honestly don't think the Hawks match up well with any of the other teams in the division and I'll be happy as shit if they can pull off 3-3 when it's all said and done.  And if I'm not mistaken one of the games is against Arizona on a Thursday night, which has historically been disastrous.

I think I heard that Arizona was favored by 3 which surprises me.  As much as I’d like to lay money on the Seahawks, when you see a funny line like this, Vegas usually knows.  It’s a trap!

The Falcons find new ways to lose every week.  Never seen anything like it.  

3 hours ago, djb5f said:

I think I heard that Arizona was favored by 3 which surprises me.  As much as I’d like to lay money on the Seahawks, when you see a funny line like this, Vegas usually knows.  It’s a trap!

The Falcons find new ways to lose every week.  Never seen anything like it.  

Last I heard Adams isn't playing today, combine that with Murray and Hopkins against Seattle's defense and it's pretty scary.  Seattle's also usually pretty sloppy and don't play well the week after the bye.

Edited by skidmarkgn

What a classic Sunday night football game with the Arizona Cardinals prevailing in ot on a game winning fg, great offense plays and some big defensive plays when needed too. NFC West continues to show how good a division it is

Things got real wild in the west with only 1 W between the first and the last (with all teams over .500 just to make the difference from the garbage division)... And yet niners collected another three injuries yesterday, while starting without both safeties :facepalm:

I don't even know if they will arrive at the end of the season with enough personnel to play a game at this rate

Seattle needs Adams back something fierce, his blitzing is literally the ONLY pass rush they can generate.  If they can't pull off some kind of miracle trade for an even middle of the road guy to rush the QB it's gonna be a wasted season, if and when they have to play guys like Rodgers and Brady there's no way their gonna keep 'em under 50 if they're sitting in the pocket comfortable as can be the whole game.

1 hour ago, skidmarkgn said:

Seattle needs Adams back something fierce, his blitzing is literally the ONLY pass rush they can generate.  If they can't pull off some kind of miracle trade for an even middle of the road guy to rush the QB it's gonna be a wasted season, if and when they have to play guys like Rodgers and Brady there's no way their gonna keep 'em under 50 if they're sitting in the pocket comfortable as can be the whole game.

The Packers are a paper tiger, they've feasted on the worst teams in the league and the only competent team they've played dusted them (Bucs). Their record is an illusion.

1 minute ago, Bluefalcon2210 said:

What do we think the chances are that the Cowboys fire Mccarthy at the end of the season? or maybe even before?

It's rare for coaches to be fired after a single season and McCarthy also inherited a mess of a team. 

2 minutes ago, Bluefalcon2210 said:

True but I feel like with everything going on there Jones just might think enough is enough and do it

McCarthy can't turn straw into gold. The Cowboys are on a third string qb with no real o-line, defense, or receiving corps. Not to mention the entire NFC East is a flaming garbage dumpster. Jones could fire McCarthy but I doubt it when most of the team's woes aren't his fault.