National Football League Thread

cmgravekeeper

Thanks for nothing, Giants.  Heckuva job, guys.  Mission accomplished.  Yadda yadda yadda.

You know what would exacerbate Jets fans' PTSD where quarterbacks are concerned?  If the Giants slip into the #1 pick, the Jets get the #2 pick, and the Giants land Trevor Lawrence.  After years decades where the best quarterback the Jets have deployed is probably Chad Pennington?  While the Giants had Phil Simms lead them to one Super Bowl and do much of the heavy lifting towards a second?  When Peyton Manning stayed in school to spurn the Jets but the "aw shucks" kid brother forced his way to the team across the stadium, played mediocre football while being anointed by segments of the sporting press as the greatest thing since sliced bread (when he wasn't even a Top 10 quarterback in the contemporary NFL for much of his play, let alone one of the GOATs), got carried to a pair of Super Bowls where many Jets fans were likely rooting for a Black Sunday scenario?

If the Giants luck into a franchise cornerstone and the Jets get stuck with the next incarnation of Mark Sanchez or Christian Hackenberg or (plenty of other names to insert here)?  Well, that's probably what us Jets fans have come to expect.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, skidmarkgn said:

.  I mean, the Vikings were lambs to the slaughter on Sunday and look how that turned out, so anything's possible right?

Even more baffling, is that the Vikings defense was playing seven rookies on Sunday. Aaron Rodgers vs. seven rookies??? And on the final drive, three DBs had gotten hurt in the game and were out, on top of two DBs that didn’t suit up. So Rodgers was facing a secondary of guys just pulled off the street and he still couldn’t deliver a win. :yay:

3 hours ago, skidmarkgn said:

Don't you mean mindlessly toss it up for grabs while he being dragged down every snap, lol.

Eli Manning is probably going to the Hall of Fame after a career of doing exactly that.  Of course, he has the proper last name, the sports media glorifying him as a Golden God, two Super Bowl rings won for him by his defense.... and he was mindlessly throwing balls up for grabs to much better wide receivers who could win those 50/50 battles with some regularity.  Or guys who could do it once their entire lives but saved it for the right time (David Tyree and Mario Manningham come to mind) .... or because said guys had sold their souls to Satan for that one time.

But that was basically Eli Manning's career in a nutshell, or at least the latter two-thirds of it.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, acasser said:

Eli Manning is probably going to the Hall of Fame after a career of doing exactly that.  Of course, he has the proper last name, the sports media glorifying him as a Golden God, two Super Bowl rings won for him by his defense.... and he was mindlessly throwing balls up for grabs to much better wide receivers who could win those 50/50 battles with some regularity.  Or guys who could do it once their entire lives but saved it for the right time (David Tyree and Mario Manningham come to mind) .... or because said guys had sold their souls to Satan for that one time.

But that was basically Eli Manning's career in a nutshell, or at least the latter two-thirds of it.

Eli's getting the gold jacket off 18-1 alone. Similar to how Namath got in on the super bowl promise. 

32 minutes ago, djb5f said:

Draft positioning it seems.

Like the Rams before them, it seems so many teams that lose the Super Bowl the year before fail to make the playoffs in the following season.

Rams fell with the SB hangover... But 49ers "fault" is that, like Eagles and Cowboys, have TONS of injuries: tonight will miss twelve starters... the only men in offense that played SB are three OLine. It's a miracle they are 4-4 right know :facepalm:

21 minutes ago, Zio_Sam87 said:

Rams fell with the SB hangover... But 49ers "fault" is that, like Eagles and Cowboys, have TONS of injuries: tonight will miss twelve starters... the only men in offense that played SB are three OLine. It's a miracle they are 4-4 right know :facepalm:

Yeah, not saying it is their fault.  They went through key injuries in 2018 too and it showed.

My point is that sustained success is fickle.  So much can impact it year to year.  Which makes the Patriots two-decade run even more impressive - but not this year!

Seahawks/Bills has me... cautiously optimistic.  It's a 10 A.M. road game against a good Bills team, which is scary, but Seattle's finally got some defensive strength with Dunlap joining and Adams finally returning.  Hopefully those two, combined with some more Wagner blitzes, can make Allen uncomfortable enough that he and Diggs don't hook up for ten thousand yards and 40 TD's. 

6 minutes ago, Avatar_Of_Battle said:

Haven't watched any of the games this year but I've been seeing news on them here and there.

If the Pats lose to the Jets tomorrow, which would give the Jets their first win, does anyone think Belichick will be let go?

No way, he'd retire or leave and Jets winning i'll believe that when it happens

1 hour ago, Avatar_Of_Battle said:

Imagine the guy throwing down $1000 on the Jets and then walking away criminally rich. 1f602.png

Since the Patriots aren’t very good this year, the money line is +350 even given how bad the Jets are.  So you would win $3500 on the $1000 bet, a nice sum but certainly not criminally rich!

2 hours ago, Avatar_Of_Battle said:

If the Pats lose to the Jets tomorrow, which would give the Jets their first win, does anyone think Belichick will be let go?

Bill Belichick has earned the "right" to walk away from the Patriots when it pleases him and is not subject to the angsty fans who blow hot-and-cold depending on the previous handful of plays.  Even if New England somehow went 2-14 this season, Robert Kraft isn't going to fire him.  The Patriots are a mess, but there are so many things wrong aside from the coaching that it isn't worth having a serious discussion over.

2 hours ago, Conker said:

Jets winning i'll believe that when it happens

C'mon, Jets are going to Jet.  Which means winning a game or two and screwing up landing the top pick in the NFL Draft at some point between now and the end of the season.  And the only two teams remaining on Gang Green's schedule that suggest a realistic non-zero possibility of a win are the Patriots (twice) and the Chargers, the latter coming with the Jets having 13 days off before the game to get healthy and prepared.

Although I was quite pleased to see the Giants win today.  Daniel Jones is now 4-0 against the Redskins and 1-16 against everybody else.... and the "1" came in his first career start (at Tampa).  I'd have been even happier to see Houston-Jacksonville end in a tie, but at least the game didn't end in a double-forfeit.

But it would be the perfect ending to the Jets' season if they somehow blew the #1 overall pick.  Because Jacksonville would take Trevor Lawrence in a heartbeat.  The Giants probably would have as well.  And if Miami comes up with the pick by way of Houston, they'll auction it off.... and while the Jets have the ammunition to move up in the draft if they had to, Miami probably doesn't trade that pick inside the division.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, djb5f said:

Since the Patriots aren’t very good this year, the money line is +350 even given how bad the Jets are.  So you would win $3500 on the $1000 bet, a nice sum but certainly not criminally rich!

Honestly I forgot how bad they were doing so yeah that makes sense lol.

(It might've been the SB not long ago but I remember a guy throwing down not a lot of money and walking away with something like 100K.)

2 hours ago, acasser said:

Bill Belichick has earned the "right" to walk away from the Patriots when it pleases him and is not subject to the angsty fans who blow hot-and-cold depending on the previous handful of plays.  Even if New England somehow went 2-14 this season, Robert Kraft isn't going to fire him.  The Patriots are a mess, but there are so many things wrong aside from the coaching that it isn't worth having a serious discussion over.

Good thing I'm not an angsty fan then. xD

I just see article titles here and there scrolling around about how Belichick and the team haven't been doing well anywhere this year.