National Football League Thread

cmgravekeeper

OK, this is just getting stupid. The Steelers/Ravens game was delayed again...and will be played in the afternoon because of the Christmas tree lighting in New York City.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/30423599/baltimore-ravens-pittsburgh-steelers-game-postponed-again-wednesday-source-says

This is a total shitshow.

Edited by MidnightDragon

5 hours ago, Zio_Sam87 said:

This season is a joke... Broncos had to play with a practice WR at helm but Ravens got posponed indefinitely

being a playoff chance probably one factor as is NFL wanted to show the other teams/make a example of one who didn't follow covid rujes properly and that thwy always won't postpone games

11 hours ago, MidnightDragon said:

OK, this is just getting stupid. The Steelers/Ravens game was delayed again...because of the Christmas tree lighting in New York City.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/30423599/baltimore-ravens-pittsburgh-steelers-game-postponed-again-wednesday-source-says

NBC knew about the Christmas tree lighting well before this. Why the hell didn't they say anything sooner?!

I think you misread. The Christmas tree lighting and broadcast is Wednesday night,  This is what prompted the game to be moved to 3:40 pm instead of a normal prime time matchup when Tuesday would no longer work.

The NFL is treating the Ravens case differently as they are a hotbed a new player testing positive for 9 straight days.  I doubt the game with the Steelers is played Wednesday.  Too much risk and it is clearly not under control.

Denver was an isolated incident and in those situations, games are played as scheduled (even if a position group is wiped out because of contact tracing and failure to separate properly).  At least Saints fans can’t complain of a conspiracy against them this time as they benefited from it.

Well the Ravens did nothing to prevent the mess (and fined their own staff member) so it's difficult to understand the difference in treatment with Broncos. Sure the QBs were stupid to gather all togheter, but is that worse than NOT reports COVID-19 symptoms? I don't think so...

3 hours ago, djb5f said:

I think you misread. The Christmas tree lighting and broadcast is Wednesday night,  This is what prompted the game to be moved to 3:40 pm instead of a normal prime time matchup when Tuesday would no longer work.

The NFL is treating the Ravens case differently as they are a hotbed a new player testing positive for 9 straight days.  I doubt the game with the Steelers is played Wednesday.  Too much risk and it is clearly not under control.

Denver was an isolated incident and in those situations, games are played as scheduled (even if a position group is wiped out because of contact tracing and failure to separate properly).  At least Saints fans can’t complain of a conspiracy against them this time as they benefited from it.

I edited my post a bit. Still a shitshow.

2 hours ago, Zio_Sam87 said:

Well the Ravens did nothing to prevent the mess (and fined their own staff member) so it's difficult to understand the difference in treatment with Broncos. Sure the QBs were stupid to gather all togheter, but is that worse than NOT reports COVID-19 symptoms? I don't think so...

The Ravens are/were a mess.  I think the NFL is thinking they are protecting the Steelers here as the Ravens have new cases every day because a staff member brought it into the facility.

The Broncos had an isolated case and no new positives coming up.

12 minutes ago, djb5f said:

The Ravens are/were a mess.  I think the NFL is thinking they are protecting the Steelers here as the Ravens have new cases every day because a staff member brought it into the facility.

The Broncos had an isolated case and no new positives coming up.

Three of the QBs are looking good for the Chiefs game.

22 hours ago, skidmarkgn said:

Can't remember how long it's been since Seattle didn't play to the level of their competition and instead just blew a team out.  When your opponents offense is as sad as Philly's has been tonight being up by 8 at the half (and it's only 8 because Philly's kicker wanted in on the offensive ineptitude) is pathetic.  Can't wait to see them barely eek out a 2 point win against the Jets in 2 weeks.

I promise you that Jets fans everywhere will be ecstatic if they keep it close against the Seahawks, so long as the Jets ultimately lose.  Because that would be an indication of "green shoots" somewhere on the team.

The offense is atrocious, and Sam Darnold is regressing before our eyes.  The defense tries hard, but they're under-manned and under-talented and too often put in bad spots by the offense.  Special teams are like the scoring in Whose Line is it Anyway? in that it just doesn't matter.  And the coaching would have to improve by leaps and bounds to get anywhere near atrocious.

Russell Wilson and the Seattle offense are going to score at will against the Jets.  The only way it's a close game is if Sam Darnold (or Joe Flacco) miraculously throws for 400 yards and a slew of TDs.

16 hours ago, Zio_Sam87 said:

This season is a joke... Broncos had to play with a practice WR at helm but Ravens got posponed indefinitely

I repeat what I said last week:  the NFL is playing favorites.

But I guarantee you that the Broncos won't be put through the same shit again this week.  If only because the Broncos are in the Sunday night game on NBC and the League wouldn't want the terrible optics coupled with bad publicity if the Broncos had to play a practice squad WR at quarterback on the national broadcast.

24 minutes ago, skidmarkgn said:

Taking bets on who finishes the year with that final wildcard spot.  Cards currently own it, Vikings, Bears and 9ers are one game back.  I'm going with the Vikings personally.

While I have not looked at schedules, I feel like the Cardinals are the best if those teams and the only one warranting a playoff spot.

55 minutes ago, djb5f said:

While I have not looked at schedules, I feel like the Cardinals are the best if those teams and the only one warranting a playoff spot.

Cardinals have the Rams twice plus the 9ers, Eagles and Giants.

Giants are a mystery to me ONLY because they and Washington have something to play for.  Eagles are what they are, their defense was pretty damn impressive against Seattle but that offense.  9ers are getting healthier (as least as healthy as they can be), just beat the Rams, and only being one game back could motivate them enough to pull out a win, that one's a coin-flip to me, and the Rams are what they are, amazing coach, two of the best defensive players in the game, a QB who you never know what you're getting with no middle ground, he's either awful or world beating.  Cardinals are so up and down that i have a hard time saying they're a lock for any of those games and Kyler's (from what I hear) still not 100% right in the shoulder.

Vikings have the Jags, Buccs, Bears, Saints and Lions.  Jags and Lions should be wins.  Bears are in a freefall and the Buccs are a Jeckyl and Hyde type of team.  Saints in the 2nd to last game may or may not have Brees back and by then the #1 seed could already be gone to Green Bay or Seattle.  Minnesota's also very up and down but as far as I know they're pretty healthy(?) and have most of their games against teams who feel like they'll be damn near locked into their seeds by game-time.

9ers seem like they have the toughest run.  Bills, Name Redacted, Cowboys, Cardinals, Seahawks.  Bills are good, Washington's still playing for a division, Cowboys should be a win but who knows with that team, Cardinals I already talked about and the Seahawks, who with any luck, will be playing for a bye week.

Bears are a non-thought.  Their offense is atrocious and I'm not even considering them.

The Giants suck.  Even when they were at full strength, they haven't beaten a decent team all season:  three of their four wins are in the NFC East, and the 4th was against a Cincinnati team without Joe Burrow.  Add to this how Daniel Jones is injured and very possibly won't play in that Arizona game -- do you believe Colt McCoy is going to beat the Cardinals?

They do have something to play for, and they hold the tiebreak on Washington.  But their schedule is brutal the next couple of weeks, going Seattle-Arizona-Cleveland-Baltimore, and while I don't think much of Cleveland (a Strength of Victory down around .300, meaning they beat up on bad teams) I expect the Browns to enjoy their two-week swing into New Jersey later this month.

The Giants can put up a good fight, but I don't see them having the firepower to keep pace with Kyler Murray and the Cardinals.  Not when Arizona actually has a fair amount to play for themselves.

13 hours ago, skidmarkgn said:

Taking bets on who finishes the year with that final NFC wildcard spot.  Cards currently own it, Vikings, Bears and 9ers are one game back.  I'm going with the Vikings personally.

I'm going with the 3rd in NFC West, so Cards or 9ers... Cards have some adv, if only 'cause they aren't living in an hotel out of their state :facepalm:

Edited by Zio_Sam87

Yep, Giants are coming in at 4-7 so Seattle's gonna play at a 3-8 level.  All is right in the world.

Don't know why I'm disappointed, Seattle absolutely reeks of a one-and-done team in the playoffs anyways.  The only thing that's been consistent with this team for years now is knowing no matter how bad the opponent, Seattle's gonna play to their level, and it's getting REAL old.

Edited by skidmarkgn

57 minutes ago, skidmarkgn said:

Yep, Giants are coming in at 4-7 so Seattle's gonna play at a 3-8 level.  All is right in the world.

Don't know why I'm disappointed, Seattle absolutely reeks of a one-and-done team in the playoffs anyways.  The only thing that's been consistent with this team for years now is knowing no matter how bad the opponent, Seattle's gonna play to their level, and it's getting REAL old.

The Giants???

Take solace buddy.... you could be a Lions fan

• Like 1

Wow Giants with a stunning win in Seattle

Browns have a winning season again

Saints clinch playoff spot with win over Falcons today

Colts move to 8-3 with close win over Texans

Bears lose 6 in a row with loss vs Lions

Dolphins to 8-4 with win vs Bengals in which 5 players were ejected

qb decisions to be made in Phlly after another poor Wentz showing and gettng benched and outplayed by Hurts in the loss

Rams regain NFC West lead with victory over the Cardinals

Vikings survive the gutsy 1 win Jags in OT to move back into a wildcard spot

Jets so close to win 1 lose it with 5 seconds left as Derek Carr hts Henry Ruggs for game winner

Pastriots destroy Chargers 45-0, to surely put Anthony Lynn on the hot seat

Edited by Conker

41 minutes ago, Conker said:

Jets so close to win 1 lose it with 5 seconds left as Derek Carr hts Henry Ruggs for game winner

Hey, it takes talent to be 0-12.  The Raiders tried to give the game away every way you could think; the Jets still found a way to cough it up.

There was a reason I didn't turn that game off when the Raiders turned the ball over on downs with less than two minutes to play.  It was all about that epic Wile E. Coyote moment with seconds to play, when the 'toon looks up and realizes the growing shadow is an anvil falling from the sky aimed right at his head.

I've seen complaints about the defensive call on the game winner, and the usual grumbling from certain players about the defensive call as well.  As for me?  If I were looking for the Jets to not blow the game there, I still would have been okay with the call because the idea was to not give Derek Carr time to throw deep and the Jets were actually more successful later in the game bringing extra pressure.

Blame the Jets for not being able to pick up a 1st down after their defense made (yet another) stop with two minutes to play.  Blame the rookie corner who simply got beat on the play and then wasn't smart enough to just tackle the Wide Receiver and take the penalty -- in that spot, better to give the Raiders 1st-and-goal with seven seconds to play than to give up the points.

And Marcus Maye ought to shut his yap.  The defense has been godawful most of the year and that's on the players every bit as much as it is on the coach.  Quit shifting the blame and accept you blew it worse than a ten-dolllar hooker.

8 minutes ago, majob said:

I hope They can pull off at least one win because you seriously don't want to be a fan of a team that's gone a whole season winless. It's not fun

No, it's not.  But until and unless Jacksonville wins another game -- thanks for nothing, Minnesota Vikings -- Jets fans need the team to lose out because Jacksonville will hold the tiebreaker for the 1st overall pick.  Which may not mean a lot to some people, but I want zero part of Justin Fields because there's simply no track record of any of those guys having sustained success at the NFL level.  I want him nowhere near my team.  So it's Trevor Lawrence or Bust, which requires the Jets getting the top overall pick, which right now requires the Jets to go 0-16.

It can be rather painful as a fan, but I'm used to decades of disappointment from this team.  If they're going to suck, they may as well go whole-hog and really, really suck.

34 minutes ago, Conker said:

The call made no sense. The only way the Raiders win is to score a TD. They have to go the distance on one play with no timeouts and seconds left. So the call is single-man press coverage with no safety help? :facepalm: And, one-on-one coverage with an undrafted rookie? 
It was a perplexing call until @acasser pointed out that JAX owns the tiebreaker. Gregg Williams was definitely trying to Lose for Lawrence!