National Football League Thread

cmgravekeeper

3 hours ago, FFATMA said:

As a Raiders fan, I really don't know how to feel about that game.  A win is a win I guess!  

Since this isn't the NCAA, there's no need to worry about style points.  Not unless you get to the 19th tie-breaker or so, and if you go that far in a dead heat for a playoff spot, you probably deserve whatever you get.  Breathe a sigh of relief, and pray you play better the next couple of weeks when you're facing the teams you're in direct competition with for a playoff spot.

2 hours ago, PerryToxteth said:

The call made no sense. The only way the Raiders win is to score a TD. They have to go the distance on one play with no timeouts and seconds left. So the call is single-man press coverage with no safety help? :facepalm: And, one-on-one coverage with an undrafted rookie? 
It was a perplexing call until @acasser pointed out that JAX owns the tiebreaker. Gregg Williams was definitely trying to Lose for Lawrence! 

It's a call that you don't see in the NFL, but then again most coaches in the NFL take the sissy way out and make the safest possible call.  Most teams play prevent in that spot, rushing two or three and dropping everybody else back.  Which probably would have allowed Las Vegas to run a couple of down-and-out patterns to pick up 15-20 yards and leave eight seconds on the clock for two shots into the end zone.

It was a gusty call.  The idea was to get pressure on David Carr so that he didn't have time to set up a deep throw; alas for the Jets, they didn't generate any pressure with the all-out blitz.  Even so, the three deep guys should have known what the play-call had to be on offense and been ready for that.  The DB simply got beat, not surprising because he's a not-good rookie.

(Notice how nobody mentions the Jets caught a massive break just after the two-minute warning when Vegas scored on 4th-and-goal and had the play wiped out by penalties?  Or how the Jets had a pitiful three-and-out the same way they did in a similar time scenario against the Patriots?  It's always the defense to blame.)

I don't believe the coaches are tanking at this point, even with the way things look.  Gregg Williams has an increasingly threadbare resume and his awe-inspiring run of being an NFL Defensive Coordinator or an NFL Head Coach for 23 of the last 24 seasons (!) is probably done.  Adam Gase is dead man walking and has four weeks to manufacture enough of something to get another NFL job of any sort.  Unlike Rex Ryan, who was in a not-too-different position a few years back, Gase has no future in television, even as an analyst.  Gase needs some wins, or at least a fair amount of life from the offense (and Sam Darnold in particular) or he's probably done as an NFL coach.

And the players never tank.

But the GM might be, given some curious roster and IR moves the past couple of weeks.  Not overtly, but little things that have made things a little more difficult on the coaches and players.

As for Gregg Williams getting fired?  The defense is the best unit on this team at this point.  He's just being scapegoated by Adam Gase because this way there's something else to talk about.  Not that there isn't good reason to fire Gregg Williams at some point, but the blitz call isn't a good enough reason on its own and 0-12 is long past the time where it matters.  The time to fire him was earlier in the season when the defense was committing personal foul after personal foul, such as the Denver game that was winnable if not for the defensive penalties.  Now, it may as well be shuffling deck chairs on the Titanic after impacting the iceberg.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, PerryToxteth said:

The call made no sense. The only way the Raiders win is to score a TD. They have to go the distance on one play with no timeouts and seconds left. So the call is single-man press coverage with no safety help? :facepalm: And, one-on-one coverage with an undrafted rookie? 
It was a perplexing call until @acasser pointed out that JAX owns the tiebreaker. Gregg Williams was definitely trying to Lose for Lawrence! 

Gregg Williams goes blitz happy.  He has done it in the past even in Hail Mary’s but bringing 8 like that!?  It was a fireable offense and sure enough he is done.

What are the Jets going to to with Sam Darnold, try to move him?  Poor Trevor Lawrence, he should return to Clemson or force the Jets hand to trade the #1 pick.

How about the G-men winning in Seattle and the Washington Football Team beating the previously unbeaten Steelers.  Maybe the NFC East has a little bite left.

12 hours ago, djb5f said:

What are the Jets going to to with Sam Darnold, try to move him?  Poor Trevor Lawrence, he should return to Clemson or force the Jets hand to trade the #1 pick.

If they're in a spot where they get either Trevor Lawrence or Justin Fields, they'll trade Sam Darnold for a draft pick, likely a 2nd or 3rd rounder.  At that price, there are teams that will bite hoping that Darnold can be "the next Ryan Tannehill" wherein a change of scenery and some better supporting cast can unleash his full potential.  There will be enough teams looking for a quarterback that somebody will bite at that price.

Though it would be exactly what Jets fans expect if Trevor Lawrence goes back to school.  Peyton Manning pulled the same shit 25 years ago when the Jets last had a shot to draft #1 overall.  And in that scenario where Lawrence returns to Clemson, it wouldn't matter to me whether or not the Jets have the #1 pick or the #2 pick because I want no part of Justin Fields.  The history of Ohio State University QBs in the pros is dreadful -- hello, Dwayne Haskins! -- and I don't see a compelling reason why Fields will change that.

14 hours ago, djb5f said:

Gregg Williams goes blitz happy.  He has done it in the past even in Hail Mary’s but bringing 8 like that!?  It was a fireable offense and sure enough he is done.

Agree. Call a blitz if you need to, but not with 8. If two safeties were back on the goal line, they could’ve reacted to a play in front of them. It’s a similar situation in the game last night. WAS kept the play in-bounds and kept the play in front of them.

I agree with @acasser that it’s not a fire-worthy offense. But, given Williams’ reputation, there’s probably much more to the firing than the public will ever know. Him and Gase could’ve been butting heads all season. 

2 hours ago, acasser said:

.  The history of Ohio State University QBs in the pros is dreadful -- hello, Dwayne Haskins! -- and I don't see a compelling reason why Fields will change that.

2 hours ago, acasser said:

.  The history of Ohio State University QBs in the pros is dreadful -- hello, Dwayne Haskins! -- and I don't see a compelling reason why Fields will change that.

Art Schlichter bets your wrong! :P

Edited by PerryToxteth

8 hours ago, PerryToxteth said:

But, given Williams’ reputation, there’s probably much more to the firing than the public will ever know. Him and Gase could’ve been butting heads all season. 

Of course there is.  The Jets' organizational structure is as dysfunctional as it gets.  The GM and the Head Coach both report to the Owner; the GM has no power to do anything in particular about the Head Coach.  Adam Gase and Gregg Williams were similarly an "arranged marriage" in that the Jets zeroed in on Williams as Defensive Coordinator while they were still interviewing coaches and accepting Williams was a condition of the job offer to Gase in the first place; rumor has it this was part of why Matt Rhule turned down the job.  The two were really more "Head Coach of the Offense" and "Head Coach of the Defense" than anything else and spent a lot of time sniping at one another.  (In other words:  They've been butting heads all season and very often in public.)

And then there's the idiocy that defines the Ownership position at present.  Like Fredo Christopher Johnson serving as interim Owner at the present time because the real owner -- his older brother Woody -- is still U.S. Ambassador to the United Kingdom for another couple of weeks.  Other than trying to buddy up to the players and embrace social justice causes, Chris is just trying to not make waves right now.  Though I fully expect him to endorse hiring a minority Head Coach for reasons, nevermind that the Jets have had a minority Head Coach for roughly 50% of the 21st century and kept the guy employed long after the on-field performance justified a firing whereas some other franchises have never had a minority Head Coach.

Just about the only reason Adam Gase is still employed as Head Coach is because the Johnson Brothers don't fire the big guys in-season.  Though this year's non-firing is probably every bit as much because there aren't fans howling for the guy's scalp at home games the way they did thirty-five years ago:  there were season tickets in my family in the 1980s when I was growing up and I vividly recall the "Joe (Walton) must go!" chants.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, skidmarkgn said:

Been about 2 years since Seattle stepped on the field and just played like they were the better team.  About damn time.

Well yeah, against the Jets.  It is amazing that in the parity of the NFL that a team can be that bad.  And they have had so many early draft picks over the past few years but still nothing to show for it.

If the playoffs started today, the Seahawks would open at Washington.  I know Washington has won 4 in a row after beating the lowly Niners but that is still a pretty favorable matchup.  We have a possible playoff preview next weekend.

Of course, Seattle has a good shot at the NFC West title, currently tied with the Rams.

Edited by djb5f

Washington with big win today, are they getting close to winning NFC East?

some big games from Colts and Titans today, keeping the AFC South division race so tight

so who predicted The Trubisky lead bears would beat the Texans 36-7 , 1 game back of wildcard

For the Viking fans, is Dan Bailey done, after another awful kicking performance in a game that was winnable?

Two questions.

#1 - what's been the biggest upset so far?

-Raiders over Chiefs

-Giants over Seahawks

-Washington over Steelers

-Eagles over Saints

-49ers sweeping the Rams

-_______________ (write in)

I'm going Raiders over the Chiefs personally.  The fact that it almost happened twice kind of skews it into bad matchup for the Chiefs territory and divisional games are always unpredictable but the Chiefs are riding in a class of their own and watching a team as erratic as Las Vegas take 'em out was pretty surprising.  Eagles/Saints probably my #2 but New Orleans' backup is only gonna take 'em so far with his skill-set and the Eagles were desperate (they finally also had the balls to try Hurts out).  9ers have been the Rams' daddy for a couple years (same way the Rams have been spanking the Seahawks for far too long now) and it just seems like Shanahan has L.A. figured out.  Washington's defense has been stellar in the 2nd half of the season and Pittsburg's offense is a tire fire so that one wasn't too much of a surprise and Seattle got stubborn coaching-wise and REFUSED to adjust to what the Giants were doing defensively

#2 -  Is Green Bay legit? 

They're probably gonna finish with the #1 spot in the NFC but looking over their schedule, they've got 1 win so far against a winning team (the Saints).  The only other "good" teams they've played are Tampa Bay (38-10 loss) and the Colts (34-31 loss).  I guess the Vikings are in the mix but they went 1-1 against them and the most recent of the 2 games was a loss.  I don't know, it just doesn't seem like the NFC has anyone who's a clear-cut favorite to win the conference, and not in the same way that statement's true for the AFC.  Most of the NFC's best teams have all feasted on shitty schedules while the Chiefs, Bills and Titans all look like teams that would take out any NFC team in the SB with relative ease.  The Rams are the scariest NFC team to me but most of that is because they've managed to stay pretty healthy and they have X-factor Donald who can single-handedly ruin any game at any time.

The Monday night countdown crew just posed the same question right after I typed this, lol.  I promise I wasn't just parroting them.

Edited by skidmarkgn

#1 Raiders over Chiefs... KC is clearly the best team right now so it was a real upset. Niners are 4-0 against Rams so wasn't a surprise, Steelers are not legit as record says, Saints are more a whine team than a SB team and I trust you about what happened in Giants-Seahawks.

#2 Not sure... they are better than last year but I think LA can beat them... Donalds, healthy team, not-Shanahan opponent... McVay can do it.

Well how,about that Monday night game, one of if not best games of seasons so far

1 I go with Giants over Seahawks, basically how they manhandled them for the whole game and in Seattle too

2 Packers are good but I’m not sure if they really are best in the NFC, 

Edited by Conker

Biggest upset:  Eagles over Saints.  The Eagles aren't any good; none of the NFC East teams really are, but the Eagles and Cowboys are largely non-competitive.  Redskins over Steelers is a close second, because every other team Washington has beaten isn't very good with the possible exception of the 49ers -- and San Francisco has been beaten to death by the injury stick.  I can't put the Raiders-Chiefs game in the same category because the Raiders are at least still on the fringes the playoff race by virtue of their own positives.  Washington and Philadelphia and the Giants are there because somebody is required to win that division and host a playoff game.

Green Bay:  I guess they're about as "legit" as anybody else in the League at this point.  I look around and I see a lot of very good teams but nobody who I believe to be head-and-shoulders above everybody else and a team that would stampede through any competition set down in front of them.  It's going to come down to matchups, to teams remaining healthy, and to QBs not having awful games at the right/wrong time.  Or, for Tennessee, their ability to have Derrick Henry take over games as their bell-cow running back.

How about Jaguars over Colts in Week 1? Jaguars only win and the Colts are a playoff team!

Saints are my pick from the NFC once Brees comes back.  Chiefs from the AFC but the Titans are scary, especially if they can get a lead.  But them getting blown out by Cleveland for most of the game was a shock to me.  The Browns were 9-3 yes, but amazingly had a negative score differential on the year.

Last night’s game was high drama.  Lamar Jackson coming back from the locker room just in time to replace an injured McSorley and lead the Ravens to victory was a script that Vince McMahon would enjoy.

• Like 1

According to the ESPN Playoff Machine, here is what I see going down:

oj3H0Rd.jpg

Miami at 10-6 is the first team out in the AFC and Chicago at 7-9 is the first team out in the NFC. Crazy to think that if this were last year, and 11-5 team would likely miss the playoffs. I just can't see Miami winning out even though they are my team, and Baltimore schedule looks so easy.