National Football League Thread

cmgravekeeper

18 minutes ago, Conker said:

Well biggest upset is now the Jets over the Rams

On par with Jaguars over the Colts.

So who wins (technically loses) the tiebreak between the Jets and Jaguars should they both go 1-15?  I think it is Jacksonville, right?  Lol, Jets.  

But at least they avoided the shame of the 2008 Detroit Lions and 2017 Cleveland Browns as the only teams to go 0-16.  That said, I would rather go 0-16 and get Trevor Lawrence.

Edited by djb5f

1 hour ago, djb5f said:

On par with Jaguars over the Colts.

So who wins (technically loses) the tiebreak between the Jets and Jaguars should they both go 1-15?  I think it is Jacksonville, right?  Lol, Jets.  

But at least they avoided the shame of the 2008 Detroit Lions and 2017 Cleveland Browns as the only teams to go 0-16.  That said, I would rather go 0-16 and get Trevor Lawrence.

I believe I heard an announcer say the Jags have a worse "strength of schedule" which puts the tie breaker in their favor but don't quote me on that.  Also, Washington was the East's last chance to send a team with a winning record to the playoffs.  All 4 teams are at 8 losses now so .500 is as good as it can get.  Gotta admit though, I thought 6 would be the number to clinch the division so at least there's that.

4 minutes ago, skidmarkgn said:

I believe I heard an announcer say the Jags have a worse "strength of schedule" which puts the tie breaker in their favor but don't quote me on that.  Also, Washington was the East's last chance to send a team with a winning record to the playoffs.  All 4 teams are at 8 losses now so .500 is as good as it can get.  Gotta admit though, I thought 6 would be the number to clinch the division so at least there's that.

I don’t think Seattle is looking forward to a repeat trip to Washington if it comes to that.  They held on today but Haskins at QB is a drop off from Alex Smith who should be back.  WFT just beat Pittsburgh and that defense is legit.  Giants just won in Seattle, Eagles beat the Saints last week, and even the Cowboys have won two in a row so the division is improving.

Now of only the NFC East could play the 49ers every week.  The division might be undefeated!  I know the 49ers are going through lots of injuries but next year will be telling for Kyle Shanahan.  He has a losing record there and at this point last season looks like maybe it was the outlier.

2 hours ago, skidmarkgn said:

And we have our upset of the year.  I know Acasser's gonna be upset about this one but seeing the Rams go down is always something I'll enjoy.

You're welcome.  For whatever it's worth.

And, yes.  I'm very unhappy about this result.  This completely undermined the previous 14 weeks of work from this team, and now I have to root for the Bears.... to completely stink up the joint next week -- they play the Jaguars next Sunday, and I won't depend on the Colts to fuck themselves up in Week 17.

1 hour ago, djb5f said:

Jacksonville has the weaker schedule, so they have the tiebreak for the #1 pick.  As I've said numerous times above, the Jets be Jet-ing.  Which means they find a way to screw things up.  Every.  Single.  Time.

I'd rather have gone 0-16 and get Trevor Lawrence.  If the Jets end up with the #2 pick, I'd take Mel Kiper's suggestion:  Trade it to a QB-needy team for a haul of picks and run Sam Darnold back one more year.

7 hours ago, djb5f said:

Now of only the NFC East could play the 49ers every week.  The division might be undefeated!  I know the 49ers are going through lots of injuries but next year will be telling for Kyle Shanahan.  He has a losing record there and at this point last season looks like maybe it was the outlier.

First, congrats on winning the Battle of the Injured, with Dallas' best player being... Mullens!

The division will never be undefeated thanks to Giants loss early in the season (you know, when niners wasn't so beaten up) ?

I knew it would be difficult when I saw Skule (a LT) starting at RG without a single snap in that position in his entire life... It should sum enough how bad was injuries this year.

As for next year, you saw where the problem is: a top 5 defense will never be enough if your sorry-backup QB turnovers the ball twice or thrice a game... and yet was a "close" game, Kyle has no guilty on this season.

On 12/20/2020 at 3:08 PM, skidmarkgn said:

And we have our upset of the year.

If it wasn't Monday Night Football, I'd have to wonder if this was the last time we'd be saying that this week, lol.  The Bungles down the Steelers in a must-win game for a team that is in a downward spiral and at risk of losing their division to the Browns... the Brooooowwwwnnnssss.  But anyway, I don't think this game qualifies as a bigger upset than the Jets over the Rams, but it's still a really, really bad loss.  We can talk all day about how disappointing some of the middle of the road teams have been down the home stretch, but seriously, this team was undefeated 2 weeks ago and now they've lost 3 straight, including one to the 2-10-1 Bungles.  I guess Pit just wanted to make sure there was no mistake on our part when considering them total posers.  Will they win either of their last 2 games?  Will the Browns take the division from them?  Will they lose wildcard weekend?  2 weeks ago no one would have even suggested as much.  Today, it's looking like a distinct possibility. 

So how bout them Browns?  Last time they got 10 wins (or even just a winning season) was 2007!  With the Jets and Steelers being their last 2 games, and the Steelers playing the Colts next week, the AFC North just got interesting.

The Steelers still own the tie-breaks against the Browns, even if they lose the Week 17 matchup.  They look decidedly mortal now, they've blown their opportunity to get a 1st-round bye, and the Super Bowl bandwagon is probably more empty than an indoor restaurant in these days of COVID, but they still don't have to do very much to win their Division.  They'll probably go out and beat Indy next week to wrap things up and then rest anybody the least bit banged up against Clevleand.

As a Jets fan at this point, I'm rooting very hard for a Jacksonville win.  Alas, I'm not sure it's going to happen. Chicago still has playoff fantasies and desperately needs a win this week.  There are precious few scenarios where Indy's Week 17 game isn't huge.  The Titans can lock up the AFC South this weekend with a win (against Green Bay) and a Colts loss (against Pittsburgh), but that likely leads to a scenario where they'll be in desperation mode with Baltimore and Miami jumping them.

Fucking Rams.

4 minutes ago, Conker said:

Wow what a day for Alvin Kamara with 6 rushing tds in the Christmas day win over the Vikings, Vikings are now eliminated from playoff contention 

My fantasy football team thanks him.  Good for 53.20 points in my league and the inside track to another championship!

14 hours ago, Conker said:

Wow what a day for Alvin Kamara with 6 rushing tds in the Christmas day win over the Vikings, which also clinches the NFC South and Vikings are now eliminated from playoff contention 

It took a few weeks, but Alvin Kamara finally exposed the JV defense the Vikings have been starting the last half of the season. There were major defensive lapses for the Carolina, Jacksonville and Chicago games being so close.  And it finally came out yesterday.
   I was playing a game in my head yesterday trying to guess how many players were getting playing time in purple, that won’t even be in the league next year. The Vikings D has moved beyond backups and are now starting third-stringers that weren’t even on an NFL roster in Sept. Except for Eric Wilson, yesterday’s entire Linebacking corps was comprised of guys off the street. 
  But this is reality for the season of Covid. I had no expectations going into the season, and I’m still shocked the NFL is going to get a full 16-game season in. At the end, I’m glad they played bc it gave a little bit of normalcy to the fall of 2020, even though the games we watched weren’t really normal. 

I have no words... it's time to put Robbie Gould out to pasture.  If he makes either of his 2 missed field goals or his missed extra point, the game is out of reach for Arizona.  Now with 1 min left, the defense has to come up big yet again to make up for a shoddy kicking job.  How do you miss an extra point and a 37 yard field goal back to back, either of which would knowingly seal the game for your team?  Or the 41 yarder earlier in the half?  These should be automatic in today's game.  This is still the NFL, right?  Just... wow...

Edit: D comes up big, at least they won.

Edited by Matto_lsi

1 hour ago, Conker said:

49ers stun the Cardinals, with terrific defense effort and the hgge game from Jeff Wilson jr, handing the destiny of 7th seed to Bears if they win there last 2 games

10 minutes ago, kidson2004 said:

Stunned about the Browns out of their top WR’s for tomorrow. This’ll show Stefenski’s leadership. 

It's like the Football Gods are trying to torture us Jets fans by having Jacksonville clinch the top pick tomorrow.  The Jets will find a way to beat the receiver-less Browns.  Chicago will run Jacksonville over now that the Bears are back in control of their playoff destiny.  And then Trevor Lawrence will give a rousing speech about how he's looking forward to the NFL next year.

/sigh

wow, what a last qtr/finish in Vegas with the Dolphins winning on a fg with 1 second left after a few lead changes and Raiders thinking they had won with there late fg and this with Ryan Fitzpatrick brought in, in 2nd half to help offense move ball better, Dolphins are almost in playoffs whilst Raiders are eliminated 

Edited by Conker

9 hours ago, Conker said:

49ers stun the Cardinals, with terrific defense effort and the hgge game from Jeff Wilson jr, handing the destiny of 7th seed to Bears if they win there last 2 games

That's show how the season could have gone without so much issues... Niners might be out of playoff, living in an hotel outside their state, but are still a top 5 defense and one of the best rushing attack with the best fullback in the league and most physical TE... Welcome back Kittle!

Allow me to ask the stupid question:  Why are people blaming the coaching staff for Las Vegas' collapse there at the end as opposed to blaming the players who couldn't make a fucking play to save their lives?  The Dolphins basically got 50 yards in a single play when everybody and their grandmother knew that Miami had to push the ball downfield (and subsuquently out of bounds) in a screaming hurry.

Sure, the coaching ought to take some blame in all this, but the defense just has to make a play there and it doesn't matter.  They didn't, and they lost because of it, the same way the Jets coughed up the Raider game a few weeks ago when they had a CB who simply got beat on a play in the waning seconds.

I get it:  Coaches get blamed because it's (usually) easier to replace one coach than it is a bunch of the 53-man roster.  But the coach wasn't the guy covering a receiver and the coach wasn't the guy roughing the passer.

16 minutes ago, acasser said:

Allow me to ask the stupid question:  Why are people blaming the coaching staff for Las Vegas' collapse there at the end as opposed to blaming the players who couldn't make a fucking play to save their lives?  The Dolphins basically got 50 yards in a single play when everybody and their grandmother knew that Miami had to push the ball downfield (and subsuquently out of bounds) in a screaming hurry.

Sure, the coaching ought to take some blame in all this, but the defense just has to make a play there and it doesn't matter.  They didn't, and they lost because of it, the same way the Jets coughed up the Raider game a few weeks ago when they had a CB who simply got beat on a play in the waning seconds.

I get it:  Coaches get blamed because it's (usually) easier to replace one coach than it is a bunch of the 53-man roster.  But the coach wasn't the guy covering a receiver and the coach wasn't the guy roughing the passer.

I think it comes down to mental mistakes vs. physical mistakes.  The Jets all-out 8-man blitz on the Hail Mary was high risk when the situation did not call for it.  All 3 receivers only had one defender on them and all it would take is a defender to slip and it was game over.

As for my comment on Gruden, it was more a shot taking at the desperation hire of someone who has not been a coach for a long-time but received a ridiculous contract.  The game has changed a lot since he last coached and I thought he was overrated as it was.  His current tenure with the Raiders has not been good and filled with both player personnel mistakes and coaching blunders.  

• Like 1

Steelers comback from 24-7 down to seal the AFC North

Jets make it 2 in a row beating the depleted Bowns 23-16

Chiefs struggle but find a way to beat Falcons to clinch #1 seed in AFC

Ravens easily handle Giants to move back in playoffs for now

So next week Colts play Jags, Browns have Steelers and Ravens have Bengals, Browns have the hardest one, Could they miss yet again :hmm: