National Football League Thread

cmgravekeeper

50 minutes ago, acasser said:

Except that history says it does.

Because this is the 22nd time in NFL history that there was a Playoff game between teams that met twice in the regular season with one side going 2-0 against the other.  And even with New Orleans' loss yesterday, the team that went 2-0 in the regular season is 14-8 in the Playoff matchup.

It didn't come to fruition yesterday.  But when the team that went 2-0 in the regular season wins roughly two-thirds of the Playoff matchups, and the sample size has gotten this large, mathematics tells you that it's probably a relevant finding on some level and that there is an inherent bias.  Sure, 14-8 could just be a lucky "streak" of coin flips, but mathematical chances are that there's an enduring advantage baked into the system in favor of the team that had won the previous two matchups.

Did that 14-8 stat include Tom Brady in the 0-2 team? ?

15 hours ago, djb5f said:

As expected Chiefs win in a one-possession game.  That has amazingly been the case in each of Kansas City’s last 8 wins!

Not only a one-possession game, but if Rashard Higgins’ arms are three inches longer, Browns have a lead in the fourth quarter. The Browns moved the ball vs. KC in the second half. It wasn’t efficient or pretty, but they got down into scoring portion of the field again and again. No disrespect to Baker and the Boys, but Bills offense is much more of a threat and KC defense might get exposed. 
Of course,  no lead is safe when facing Mahomes, but nobody knows yet if he will play. Hats off to Henne for preserving the win. 

10 hours ago, Zio_Sam87 said:

Did that 14-8 stat include Tom Brady in the 0-2 team? 1f60b.png

Tom Brady and Tampa became the 8th team of the 22 to "flip the script".  It was 14-7 entering yesterday, although it can be noted that the team that went 2-0 doesn't cover the spread nearly so often.  (Just in case you want to bet on that nugget in the future.)

It was also Brady's first opportunity to do so.  Twice before in his career he's faced a team three times in a single season; the previous two were the Jets (2010 and 2006), both seasons where the Patriots and Jets split their season series.

6 hours ago, acasser said:

Tom Brady and Tampa became the 8th team of the 22 to "flip the script".  It was 14-7 entering yesterday, although it can be noted that the team that went 2-0 doesn't cover the spread nearly so often.  (Just in case you want to bet on that nugget in the future.)

It was also Brady's first opportunity to do so.  Twice before in his career he's faced a team three times in a single season; the previous two were the Jets (2010 and 2006), both seasons where the Patriots and Jets split their season series.

As you say, was Tom's first opportunity.I admit my first sentence was too "short", but what I meant was that a 2-0 means nothing if TB is on the opposite team :)

He's on his 9th Championship game in the last 10 years (while Brees played a single time? can't remember) so is a much better history than the 14-7 you described.

Next time I'll write the full sentence so there's no misunderstanding!

Old man Philip Rivers is finally calling it a career after seventeen years in the NFL with the San Diego//Los Angeles Chargers and Indianapolis Colts:

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/30747073/philip-rivers-retires-nfl-ending-17-year-career-spent-los-angeles-chargers-indianapolis-colts

10 hours ago, MossyOakRcn42 said:

Old man Philip Rivers is finally calling it a career after seventeen years in the NFL with the San Diego//Los Angeles Chargers and Indianapolis Colts:

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/30747073/philip-rivers-retires-nfl-ending-17-year-career-spent-los-angeles-chargers-indianapolis-colts

One of my favorite qbs in the league. Guy looked like he was having fun almost all the time and he made the most ridiculous faces. I feel sorry for him a bit too, was in the same class as Ben and Eli but he's the only one without a super bowl win. Fifth all time records in a lot of stats so he definitely had the talent but he played for a terrible owner

• Like 2

If the Tweet above does not show (happens every now and then), see the image below:
Esc9wdfXIAEQvv8?format=jpg&name=small

In an arrangement the two sides have discussed and mutually agreed upon, quarterback Matthew Stafford is expected to not return to the Lions this offseason, with Detroit listening to trade offers for its former No. 1 overall pick starting this week, league sources told ESPN's Adam Schefter on Saturday.

With new general manager Brad Holmes and new head coach Dan Campbell now in place, the Lions will soon begin trade discussions that most likely will result in a new quarterback -- largely influenced by what and who the Lions will receive in a trade for Stafford, sources told ESPN. The Lions are expected to receive at least a first-round pick, league sources said.

Edited by MossyOakRcn42

Matthew Stafford makes no sense for the Jets, or for other teams near the depths of their rebuild.  He's an overrated veteran quarterback suitable for a "win now" team, not for a team that has a whole slew of issues and needs time the most to address them.

And with the glut of passers who are potentially on the market, I have difficulty seeing Stafford fetch the Lions the returns they're hoping for and that guys like Adam Schefter are projecting.  Not unless you're grabbing him for the last two years of his contract with no intention of re-negotiating it or extending it; his contract is pretty sweet for the next two seasons as compared to "market rate" -- especially in a COVID-impacted market -- but he's bound to be grossly overpaid after that.

The Colts could use him.  Maybe Pittsburgh if Roethlisberger retires, or New Orleans if they want to try that idea if Drew Brees formally announces his retirement.  But the rest of those teams that Conker suggests probably don't make sense even if Stafford would theoretically be an upgrade over the current starter.

As it stands, the 49ers are monitoring the situation with Stafford so his new home may be with them. Word around town is Kelley Stafford pressured Matthew to take a trade because she wasn't fond of Michigan anymore since she hates our governor (and I hate her too so i can't blame her).

Edited by majob
  • Like 1

So It will be The Chiefs representing the AFC after they defeated the Bills in s game they controlled from 2nd qtr

Superbowl LV

Chiefs at Bucs 6:40 ET CBS

and TE Greg Olson announced his retirement today and will now move to the Fox booth of the #2 crew https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/30771535/te-greg-olsen-retires-nfl-join-fox-broadcaster

Bucs fan here so I'm super excited! I know the Chiefs have had a ton of games decided by one possession but their offense really scares me. After our first matchup earlier this season and watching yesterday's game, I'm perplexed how their offense can be stopped or even slowed down. Turnovers will be key and Brady is going to have to play a cleaner game than he did in the 2nd half yesterday. Good thing we have two weeks to prep.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, plataa89 said:

Bucs fan here so I'm super excited! I know the Chiefs have had a ton of games decided by one possession but their offense really scares me. After our first matchup earlier this season and watching yesterday's game, I'm perplexed how their offense can be stopped or even slowed down. Turnovers will be key and Brady is going to have to play a cleaner game than he did in the 2nd half yesterday. Good thing we have two weeks to prep.

Don't stop Patrick, score more than him :)