National Football League Thread

cmgravekeeper

On 1/25/2021 at 10:10 AM, plataa89 said:

Bucs fan here so I'm super excited! I know the Chiefs have had a ton of games decided by one possession but their offense really scares me. After our first matchup earlier this season and watching yesterday's game, I'm perplexed how their offense can be stopped or even slowed down. Turnovers will be key and Brady is going to have to play a cleaner game than he did in the 2nd half yesterday. Good thing we have two weeks to prep.

Bucs caught a break with Eric Fisher being out.  Bucs were able to apply pressure on Rodgers and abused their backup LT. They likely will do the same if Mike Remmers takes Fisher’s place. He was awful on the Vikings as an RT and has no business being a LT in the NFL. Mahomes looked like he was still having mobility issues with his toe vs. BUF. Of course, a gimpy Mahomes still means he has better scrambling ability than 90% of the other QBs. Bucs will also need both safeties healthy. The secondary had a noticeable lapse when Whitehead went out. Sounds like Winfield Jr. will be ready, though I’m not sure he can keep up with KC’s 4x100 relay track team.

On the offensive side, Brady needs to stop playing like an elderly Favre. Remember when Brett would just heave crap up and hope for a prayer? Two of those picks in the second half were atrocious. Play smarter Tom and realize your arm can’t quite do all the stuff it used to. 

15 hours ago, Conker said:

The Los Angeles Rams are trading Jared Goff along with some draft picks to the Detroit Lions for Matthew Stafford https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/30808788/detroit-lions-dealing-matthew-stafford-los-angeles-rams-jared-goff-picks-sources-say

2 1st and a 3rd. If Stafford was worth that, I can’t even imagine what a trade for Deshaun would be like. Wow! Lions legit won that trade if they nail those picks. 

Edited by kidson2004
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Conker said:

The Los Angeles Rams are trading Jared Goff along with some draft picks to the Detroit Lions for Matthew Stafford https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/30808788/detroit-lions-dealing-matthew-stafford-los-angeles-rams-jared-goff-picks-sources-say

Don't know what to think of this one.  I have all the respect in the world for Stafford's arm but he's coming to a division where he's gonna have to face Bosa and the 49ers front four twice a year, Jamal Adams (hopefully) twice a year and now an emerging Haasan Reddick twice a year, I wonder if his legs can handle this division.

2 hours ago, skidmarkgn said:

Don't know what to think of this one.  I have all the respect in the world for Stafford's arm but he's coming to a division where he's gonna have to face Bosa and the 49ers front four twice a year, Jamal Adams (hopefully) twice a year and now an emerging Haasan Reddick twice a year, I wonder if his legs can handle this division.

Do you name one per team for mercy? 'Cause I can add Thomas, Kinlaw, Warner, Wagner, Wright, Baker... Better improve that O-Line McVay!

I'm starting to wonder if Rams' Management has any clue what they're doing when it comes to prominent players and trading draft picks and all that.  I know they're a talented team with a Boy Wonder head coach that's two years removed from the Super Bowl, but they're flushing 1st round picks down the trade toilet like they grow on trees and they've been handing out big contracts and accumulating dead money like a heroin junkie.  I have a difficult time seeing how that team is going to sustain success for the long haul between the financial constraints and the lack of 1st round picks to replenish that roster.

My opinion?  Detroit wins this trade hands down just for the draft picks, even if Jared Goff is a complete bust for the Lions.  And I agree with @kidson2004 as to Deshaun Watson.  Is he worth Sam Darnold and the #2 pick and another big asset?  Is he worth Tua Tagovailoa and the #3 pick and another big asset?  Daniel Jones, the #10 pick, and a couple of other big assets?

• Like 1

That Stafford Goff trade was huge, I don't know whether I'm surprised about it or not because the Rams pretty much said they weren't happy with Goff and honestly I don't blame them he's been on the downward slide since that Super Bowl loss but oh man imagine how much people are going to have to give up for Watson now and I reckon we might see a couple more QB's move this summer Garoppolo and maybe Rogers ?

12 hours ago, broy300 said:

Rams are getting a true pro in Matt Stafford, I think he will be great in LA . Now I see lions picking top WR, then trading back into 1st at getting Trey Lance, Have him watch Goff for a year. 

They're getting a a quarterback who's never won a playoff game while giving my Lions a qb that's gone to the super bowl. Yes,. the Lions wasted Stafford's best years but the Rams are bonafide idiots and I thank them for it. The Lions get a young and tested qb along with multiple first round picks while the rams get an aging gun slinger. Gonna miss Stafford though, best qb the franchise has had since Bobby Lane

On 1/31/2021 at 2:07 AM, skidmarkgn said:

It's not like the North was a dumpster fire for most of Stafford's career. The North has been competitive most years than not and having to face Rodgers two times a year is no picnic 

• Like 1

Man - I do not like this trade for the Rams. I'll freely admit that I'm no Stafford fan, but for that cost? Well, I'm really no Stafford fan.

I know people are gaga now because for the 2nd time in 5 years, an aging, transplant QB has taken his team to the Super Bowl. But those aging, transplant QBs were Peyton Manning and Tom Brady. And yeah, I know that Manning and Brady were a lot older than Stafford, but they were also a lot better. And neither cost the pile of football gold that Stafford cost.

I like the deal a lot for Detroit, however.

Edited by starcrunch061

44 minutes ago, djb5f said:

The loser in this trade?  Goff’s smoking hot, model girlfriend.  Trading the glitter and LA nightlife for the winters of Detroit (if she were to move/visit lol)

Winters in Michigan can be very comfy. There's honestly nothing better in this world than ice fishing

2 minutes ago, starcrunch061 said:

Except, of course, for literally everything.

Nonsense, unless you're allergic to the outdoors. You're in a cozy tent with a heater, friends, beer, and the fish tend to bite like crazy. It's a nice relaxing activity.

Edited by majob

9 hours ago, starcrunch061 said:

I know that Manning and Brady were a lot older than Stafford, but they were also a lot better. And neither cost the pile of football gold that Stafford cost.

Does anybody believe that Matthew Stafford is an elite quarterback?  Or even an "above average NFL starting quarterback"?  If he falls into the latter category, it's largely because there are a lot of really crappy NFL starting quarterbacks out there, which likely is why so many teams are forever looking for guys to replace their current guy.

To me, Stafford is like Eli Manning in that he's an accumulator of stats but not anybody teams are particularly frightened of.  He puts up gaudy passing numbers, but so does pretty much everybody else that can remain upright and under center for the majority of their team's games.

He'll have a better supporting cast around him in Los Angeles, but only so long as said cast can remain intact.  And I question how that's going to be the case with the way the Rams when they've got a cap crunch coming -- OverTheCap has then $31 million above the 2021 Upper Limit even before this trade adds a pile of dead money from Goff's signing bonus accelerating -- and when they've given away all those 1st round picks in this deal and the Jalen Ramsay swap last year.

11 hours ago, acasser said:

Does anybody believe that Matthew Stafford is an elite quarterback?  Or even an "above average NFL starting quarterback"?  If he falls into the latter category, it's largely because there are a lot of really crappy NFL starting quarterbacks out there, which likely is why so many teams are forever looking for guys to replace their current guy.

To me, Stafford is like Eli Manning in that he's an accumulator of stats but not anybody teams are particularly frightened of.  He puts up gaudy passing numbers, but so does pretty much everybody else that can remain upright and under center for the majority of their team's games.

He'll have a better supporting cast around him in Los Angeles, but only so long as said cast can remain intact.  And I question how that's going to be the case with the way the Rams when they've got a cap crunch coming -- OverTheCap has then $31 million above the 2021 Upper Limit even before this trade adds a pile of dead money from Goff's signing bonus accelerating -- and when they've given away all those 1st round picks in this deal and the Jalen Ramsay swap last year.

You don’t have to sell me on the foolishness of the deal for the Rams. I think that end-game numbers on QBs are overrated, but with that being so, I would put Stafford in the Romo class far more than the elite class.

You mention Eli Manning, but even he gets the nod over Stafford from me; that guy made a lot of crucial late game plays. But if McVay can get consistency out of him, I’ll (finally) believe he’s the genius everyone says.

Edited by starcrunch061

13 hours ago, acasser said:

I am in agreement here. At this point, Stafford falls somewhere between Top 10-16 in NFL starting QBs.  Watching him twice a year vs. the Vikings, he is starting to show signs of Favre Syndrome (chucking up prayers instead of smart passes).  That could stem from playing on a perpetual losing team and trying to instill some kind of action in a anemic offense.

Counter with Goff, who after 2020, falls somewhere into the 15-25 QB realm. Though he has shown he can be closer to Top 10 in his career. But for the Rams, you are not significantly upgrading the position.  It’s a desperate trade to win now, along the same lines as (gulp) the Herschel Walker trade.  

Lost in the whole trade is what @slaaack1 brought up; the steep cost of draft picks bc the Lions assume that cap-unfriendly salary.  I’m guessing Detroit can easily absorb judging from their depleted roster.  But they extorted the Rams’ future from them for taking on the contract.  If this backfires, any chance Goodell installs a 1st round trade rule like what the NBA has? That rule came courtesy of the epic blunders committed by the Cavaliers owner in the early 80s. If you want a comical online read, search Ted Stepien.