National Football League Thread

cmgravekeeper

Fun Thursday game , Washington pulling out the big 1 point win. But wow Giants leaving to many points on the board, holding on td Run, td  drop by Slayton and then offside on missed fg that would’ve given Giants the win, this one is gonna hurt for Giants

13 minutes ago, Conker said:

Fun Thursday game , Washington pulling out the big 1 point win. But wow Giants leaving to many points on the board, holding on td Run, td  drop by Slayton and then offside on missed fg that would’ve given Giants the win, this one is gonna hurt for Giants

Giants doing Giants things.

Slayton could have made the grab but it would have been an full extension, out-stretched, finger tip grab running at full speed.  Daniel Jones has to give him a better ball; he was all alone.  I know some pass rush but still.

To end the game like that, smh.  Lawrence isn’t blocking the FG and was right next to the ball.  Zero reason to jump.

Entertaining game but two teams going nowhere.

Edited by djb5f

The Giants have spent a couple of years deluding themselves into thinking they're a capable team rather than one that needs to commit to a significant overhaul.  Being in an atrocious division last season when they were 5-10 and still in a position to win a division title in Week 17 only exacerbated this.

And this is the "soft" portion of their schedule, because it's heavily back-loaded with the better teams.

I'm not a Giants fan.  I actually oscillate between not giving much of a damn about them and actively rooting for them to fail.  And regardless of which pole I'm at on any given day, I have to think this is a team heading for a GM firing sooner rather than later, which probably leads to a Head Coach firing and drafting a new QB next season and starting all over again.

So many qbs today leaving games with injurys (Dalton,Tyrod,Wentz,Tua)

Raiders off to nice 2-0 start as are Cardinals winning on Vikings missed fg

Cowboys gut out a tough 20-17 win over Chargers

Jets and Jags continue the growing pains with there rookie qbs

Rams and 49ers both 2-0

Saints and Winston go from great to terrible this week as Panthers easily win, Sam Darnold with another good outing

Do Broncos have there qb, Bridgewater with another solid showing

Bucs with another big offense game in big win over the Falcons

Browns,Bears get win 1 as do Titans with OT win

So What do the Texans do if Tyrod out for any time? Play Mills? or would you dare to play Watson?

For Bears could it now be Fields time?

I thought Junior Hochuli and his crew did a very good job during the Jets game.... except for the really quick whistle on the second play from scrimmage when they ruled the Patriots receiver had ceased forward progress and thus nullified a clear turnover.  I think the game turned right there, because the Jets would have had the ball in really good field position and instead we know how the game went.  But the officiating was good, and Hochuli was very verbose in explaining the more complicated rulings.  I know we condemn the officiating like all the damned time, but I feel we ought to give them credit where it's due.  And it was pretty much due today -- Junior Hochuli and his crew can do my team's games any time they'd like.

I thought the Jets actually played reasonably well, better than the score suggested.  They were able to run the football pretty much all day, and their defense did about as well as you could ask from a unit that spent most of the first half on the field and kept getting put out in bad positions because the quarterback hasn't learned how to read an NFL defense just yet and simply forces things like he did last year in college against the likes of West Bumfuck State.

But it's going to be a long season and the flurries of poor decisions and interceptions is why I didn't want to draft Zack Wilson in the first place.  (And said as much in February and March and April of this year.)

26 minutes ago, Conker said:

So What do the Texans do if Tyrod out for any time? Play Mills? or would you dare to play Watson?

They don't dare play DeShaun Watson.  They would get cremated in the court of public opinion if they did.  Heck, if this were most of the other major sports, the Commissioner probably would have stepped in and suspended Watson "while the investigation is ongoing" already.

Houston is waiting for one of two things.  Either for a team to pay their ridiculous asking price for the guy, something that isn't happening.  Or for Watson to get convicted of sexual battery (or to settle the accusations out of court) and for the NFL to drop the ban-hammer on him, thus permitting the Texans to void his guarantees, cut him, and go after his previous signing bonuses.

There's zero chance that Houston will play him and put all that at risk.

19 minutes ago, majob said:

And the taunting rule has its first victim with the Chargers whom lost a game they clearly would have won if not for the the hilarious amount of flags they drew for "taunting"

Hard to say they would’ve won as the final possession for the Cowboys would’ve been much different.  They played very conservatively (almost too much) running down the clock to get the final FG.  

I could be wrong but I think the Chargers got flagged for it twice, one of which was declined because there was another penalty (and you could not stack them).

This Chiefs/Ravens game is crazy.  Two magicians at QB.

That Chiefs Ravens game was awesome, so many great plays by both qbs and what a call by Ravens to go on 4th and 1 knowing if don’t get Chiefs in good spot to get fg and it paid off with Lamar running for firstdown to seal there first win of season

1 hour ago, majob said:

And the taunting rule has its first victim with the Chargers whom lost a game they clearly would have won if not for the the hilarious amount of flags they drew for "taunting"

That game was full of flags, I dunno if they would’ve won, but who knows. 

Personally was taunting that bad they really had to emphasise the rule more now? I didn’t think it was

14 hours ago, majob said:

Seattle got hit for 2 of 'em as well.  They still would have lost (their second half performance was atrocious) but this whole concept of possible hurt "feewings" being the worst thing that can happen to a person makes me sick.

Sam Darnold looks a hell of a lot better when he has a quality supporting cast, eh?  And when he has a Charmin-soft schedule to use it against.

I like him, and I've said as much in numerous posts inside this thread.  But I'm not convinced that Carolina is "for real" when they've played perhaps the two worst teams in the NFL and a Saints team that just might not be very good themselves.

1 hour ago, acasser said:

Sam Darnold looks a hell of a lot better when he has a quality supporting cast, eh?  And when he has a Charmin-soft schedule to use it against.

I like him, and I've said as much in numerous posts inside this thread.  But I'm not convinced that Carolina is "for real" when they've played perhaps the two worst teams in the NFL and a Saints team that just might not be very good themselves.

No arguments here, I'd argue the Panthers won't have a real test until they face Tampa otherwise it's just 2015 all over again

Edited by majob

39 minutes ago, Conker said:

Eventually i can see the NFL having 18 games so everyone gets even number home games and we getting 16 teams in so wildcard 6 play, 2 get week off

I hope not.  That’d be exactly 50% of teams.  Might see some sub .500 wild cards even!

1 hour ago, majob said:

We already see those

Not from the wild card.

We’ve seen a handful of division winners (not a lot) over the years like the NFC East last year or the NFC West in the Beast quake year.  Those are pretty few and far in between and understandably get ridiculed but I can understand those a little better as at least you won your sorry division.

But letting half of the teams in the playoffs so that wild cards will regularly be 8-8 and occasionally 7-9, yuck.  Say goodbye to much of the importance of the regular season.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Conker said:

Eventually i can see the NFL having 18 games so everyone gets even number home games and we getting 16 teams in so wildcard 6 play, 2 get week off

I really wish the Players had pushed back harder on the expansion to 17, but they surrendered their right to fight that a couple of years ago in return for other concessions.

But I do think there will be pushback if they try for 18.  And they don't really need to go to 18, because they wrote the "17th game" rules in such a way that there isn't that home/road imbalance within a conference.  If you look at the "17th games" this season, the AFC is hosting all 16 of those.  And next year the NFC will host all 16.  So the 9/8 or 8/9 split is irrelevant because you're competing for a wild card against teams with the identical issue.

9 hours ago, djb5f said:

I hope not.  That’d be exactly 50% of teams.  Might see some sub .500 wild cards even!

We've seen a handful of 8-8 wild card teams.  Heck, we had one last season in the NFC.... even if we also had a 10-6 team in the AFC miss out.  So it's probably not an eternity before we see a sub-.500 team make the playoffs as a wild card simply because that's more likely to happen as you expand the playoff field without expanding the total number of teams.