National Football League Thread

cmgravekeeper

23 minutes ago, skidmarkgn said:

11 games played so far this week and 6 of them were blowouts, with four of the six having a team in single digits (25-3, 54-13, 27-3, 41-17, 31-5, 38-3).  What the fuck is the NFL becoming?  The league of "parity" certainly isn't living up to that moniker lately.

Just look at the division “races”.  You can already pretty much call the AFC East for the Bills, the AFC South for the Titans, the NFC East for the Cowboys, the NFC North for the Packers, and the NFC South for the Bucs.

So crazy to have so many runaways this early in the season.

8 hours ago, skidmarkgn said:

11 games played so far this week and 6 of them were blowouts, with four of the six having a team in single digits (25-3, 54-13, 27-3, 41-17, 31-5, 38-3).  What the fuck is the NFL becoming?  The league of "parity" certainly isn't living up to that moniker lately.

Highly ranked teams facing the worst ones and running up the score in most cases. You could argue the Ravens had injuries on too many sides of the ball and the Panthers outright choking

Edited by majob

The Patriots ran up the score on the Jets, too.  Yes, the Jets absolutely stunk yesterday, but New England was still throwing deep balls with a couple of minutes to play while up 35 points.

Not that you'd expect different from Bill Belichick, but here's hoping that karma is a bitch.  Especially when the only teams that the Patriots have beaten this year are the Jets (who suck) and the Texans (who suck more).

3 hours ago, starcrunch061 said:

A couple of notes from a pretty boring weekend of pro football:

• Detroit is the best bad team I've ever seen.
  • Are the Patsies still mad about the Rex Ryan days in New York? You'd think they were playing the Super Bowl.

I expected the Lions to lose for sure but the heart they played with yesterday still made it one of the best games I've ever watched. Losing with heart still sucks though

Edited by majob

5 hours ago, starcrunch061 said:

As a Tennessee Volunteer fan, I know that as well as anybody. 1f612.png

I remember the days when the third weekend in October used to be a rivalry. I think the Vols have had the same trajectory as the Huskers for the last 20 years. Storied program fires popular long-time coach and never recovers. 

2 hours ago, PerryToxteth said:

I remember the days when the third weekend in October used to be a rivalry. I think the Vols have had the same trajectory as the Huskers for the last 20 years. Storied program fires popular long-time coach and never recovers. 

Ah, you’re Husker faithful? Yep - you guys know the feeling. Honestly, I feel a little worse for Nebraska. I think the fans were sold a pig in a poke with their move to the Big 10. The Huskers basically gave up all their rivalries. At least the Voks can still play their old foes (even if they lose to them every year). They haven’t beaten Bammer since 2006, and have only beaten Florida once since 2004.

17 hours ago, starcrunch061 said:

Ah, you’re Husker faithful? Yep - you guys know the feeling. Honestly, I feel a little worse for Nebraska. I think the fans were sold a pig in a poke with their move to the Big 10. The Huskers basically gave up all their rivalries. At least the Voks can still play their old foes (even if they lose to them every year). They haven’t beaten Bammer since 2006, and have only beaten Florida once since 2004.

Thankfully, not a Huskers fan, though I’ve dealt with plenty of friends and family members who have been for decades. They are still kind of in a zombie stage of denial that they are irrelevant on the college football scene. I’ve taken a sports schadenfreude delight in that as they were a rather smug and patronizing fan base back in the 90s.

They keep waiting for Coach Messiah to come and resuscitate the program into the winning ways of Devaney and Osbourne, and frankly, that’s just not going to happen. The college sports landscape has changed and trying to hype Lincoln, Nebraska to kids these days is a hard sell. I’m too lazy to look it up, but I believe they fired Frank Solich after a 10-3 season and they’ve been suffering ever since. Probably even a harder pill to swallow now that beloved Scott Frost came home, and yet even he, the Husker Jesus, can’t even get the team above .500 in the Big Ten. 

Fun Thursday game as the packers depleted receivers and defensive co-ordinator, hang on to defeat the Arizona Cardinals 24-21,  With Kyle Murray throwing the game ending pick with seconds left in field goal range , as receiver on play AJ Green never turned around, quite stunning to see.

With that there are no more undefeated teams and the 1972 Dolphins can celebrate once again 

23 minutes ago, Conker said:

Fun Thursday game as the packers depleted receivers and defensive co-ordinator, hang on to defeat the Arizona Cardinals 24-21,  With Kyle Murray throwing the game ending pick with seconds left in field goal range , as receiver on play AJ Green never turned around, quite stunning to see.

With that there are no more undefeated teams and the 1972 Dolphins can celebrate once again 

Agreed. Like, how did you NOT turn around in that route? I don't think he was expecting the ball on that play. It looks like he was blocking for a run play. 

Well who saw the Mike White lead Jets defeating the Bengals 

Lions fall to 0-8 getting destroyed by the Eagles 

Steelers with big hard win over Bronwns

Rams roll vs Texans

49ers bounce back with win vs Bears

Dolphins drop to 1-7 with loss vs Bills, will they trade for Watson??

Panthers end 4 game losing streak in win vs Falcons

7 minutes ago, Conker said:

Well who saw the Mike White lead Jets defeating the Bengals 

Lions fall to 0-8 getting destroyed by the Eagles 

Steelers with big hard win over Bronwns

Rams roll vs Texans

49ers bounce back with win vs Bears

Dolphins drop to 1-7 with loss vs Bills, will they trade for Watson??

Panthers end 4 game losing streak in win vs Falcons

Bengals were jobbed at the end with one of the worst helmet-to-helmet calls I’ve ever seen (instigated by offensive player).  Bit credit the Jets I guess.  Wins over two playoff teams in Cincinnati and Tennessee but disastrous against everyone else especially NE.

Browns in last place of the AFC North.  With a roster with that much talent (from stockpiling good draft picks after years of misery), definitely a disappointment.

Colts drop to the Titans in OT.  Wentz continues to make poor decisions.

4 hours ago, djb5f said:

Bengals were jobbed at the end with one of the worst helmet-to-helmet calls I’ve ever seen (instigated by offensive player).  Bit credit the Jets I guess.  Wins over two playoff teams in Cincinnati and Tennessee but disastrous against everyone else especially NE.

Yeah, that was a bad call from the officials.  But even if they called it correctly -- and it should have been called on the Jets RB there -- Cincinnati still had work to do to try and win the game or at least force OT.  And a lot of it were their own errors, such as having 1st-and-goal from the 1 early on and getting zero points out of it.

The Jets were competitive against both Atlanta and Carolina as well.  Yes, they dug themselves healthy holes in both of those losses, but both games were one-possession affairs down the stretch and the Jets had their chances.  Not great chances, but they were in those games all the way to the end.

And if I were Indy's defensive coaches, I know exactly how I would plan against the Jets' offense on Thursday night.  Mike White was (mostly) fantastic today, but there are easy and obvious ways to attack what the Jets were doing well and ways to force them out of their comfort zone.

What a showing From Cooper Rush in his first NFL start and it coming on Monday night, throwing for over 300yrds and a couple tds one being game winner late in 4th to defeat the Vikings and improving to 6-1 and thoroughly outplaying Kirk Cousins as Vikings fall to 3-4 in a game thy needed, considering there upcoming games 

9 hours ago, Zio_Sam87 said:

Niners beat the Bears and his "five star turnover prospect" showing some good offense, but now comes once again a two-game difficult span against Cards and Rams with a ton of key players on defense injuried :facepalm:

Freakin' Rams doing "Rams things" as well and SOMEHOW trading for even more talent.  It's astounding how they are finding a way to keep old stars and constantly acquire new ones in the salary cap era.  Makes it look a lot like the draft really isn't as important as it once was.

The draft still has a level of importance, but it seems that some teams believe they can substitute trades for established talent for the process of drafting and developing inexpensive youth.

I guess the process can work reasonably well if you target the right players and don't give out awful contracts to underperforming veterans that then have to be expunged with calamitous cap circumstances.  And if you can turn your mid-round and late-round picks into contributors to help balance the roster.  But it also requires the Upper Limit to keep rising or teams will find themselves in a crunch before they know it.

And just looking at overthecap.com, the Rams need that Upper Limit to jump next year.  Or they're just about out of space already with a healthy chunk of roster yet to accumulate.  And without the $41 million (or so) of dead cap they have right now for this season.

The Saints kicked that can down the road year after year.  They didn't win anything.  The Rams have been trading high picks for established talent for several years now, and they also haven't won anything.  Houston tried that route and they're a dumpster fire.  Seattle gave up two picks for Jamal Adams and that probably hasn't turned out the way Seahawks fans hoped.

It's a lot easier to do this in a video game, eh?

• Like 1