National Football League Thread

cmgravekeeper

10 hours ago, skidmarkgn said:

I don't feel bad for them either, it just seems that the postponing of games seems... selective this year.

It's not even "selective".  The NFL has put its collective head in the sand like an ostrich, trying to pretend that COVID doesn't exist.  I believe they were dragged kicking and screaming into the three mini-postponements last week, and even then it involved teams in the thick of the playoff race.  (New Orleans is on the fringe; Miami every bit as much with their closing schedule.)

The NFL put out this ridiculous statement that "asymptomatic players aren't spreading the virus" even though all the scientific evidence is that fully vaccinated and asymptomatic people are very much spreading the bug.  But it's also following the League's agenda to "see no evil, hear no evil, speak no evil".  They don't care if half their players drop dead so long as it is the half that doesn't make the playoffs and so long as it is January 10th or later.  They just want to get in their remaining games and the Playoffs with a minimum of disruption so they can continue making their money and to hell with everything else.

I know you're not happy with how the whole Rams-Seahawks thing resolved.  As a Jets fan, I got to watch a hollowed-out shell of my own team play Jacksonville on Sunday; it would be very generous to say that the game was everything you'd expect out of two teams that entered the contest 5-23.  (The reality was even uglier than that.)  I'm sure several other fanbases are quite unhappy with what they view as preferential treatment.

I don't think any of the major North American professional sports leagues have done a particularly adequate job of handling the virus and its impact on games.  But the NFL is worse than the rest.

7 hours ago, MidnightDragon said:

NFL is too greedy to do what NHL did

Don't be so sure that the NHL isn't greedy.  The NHL is still planning to play their Winter Classic on Saturday, even though the forecast for St. Paul is sub-zero temperatures.

Also, the NHL has been postponing games scheduled to be played in Canada over the next two weeks.  They haven't given a formal reason for it, but the general understanding is that they'd prefer to play those games later in the season when arena capacity limits might be lifted and they can get more ticket revenue.  (The NHL is far more dependent on gate receipts than the other Leagues.)

2 hours ago, acasser said:

Don't be so sure that the NHL isn't greedy.  The NHL is still planning to play their Winter Classic on Saturday, even though the forecast for St. Paul is sub-zero temperatures.

Also, the NHL has been postponing games scheduled to be played in Canada over the next two weeks.  They haven't given a formal reason for it, but the general understanding is that they'd prefer to play those games later in the season when arena capacity limits might be lifted and they can get more ticket revenue.  (The NHL is far more dependent on gate receipts than the other Leagues.)

Oh, I'm sure they are. 

17 hours ago, acasser said:

Canada has more stringent rules regarding COVID, as well as border crossings, so that’s why they postponed the games. League Office is in Toronto which also factors into the decision making. 
  It won’t really matter as the NHL will have the entire month of February to reschedule the makeup games, with the recent decision to skip the Olympics.  That is definitely a financial decision but it makes sense as GM’s would be screaming if their top players were stuck quarantining in China for a few weeks. 

Another COVID-related QB issue, this time in Minn., as Cousins (who is unvaccinated) tests positive for COVID and will miss Sunday's game against the Packers.  Since the 2nd string is also positive (though no clue on his vax status, so he could still be available for the game), the Vikings could be down to a practice squad QB for this game.  Playoff hopes were a long-shot for them anyway, but it's probably safe to say their season is over now.

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/nfl-news-vikings-kirk-cousins-enters-protocols-wont-play-vs-packers-160040196.html

It's also not mentioned in the article, but if he has to be out 10 days, and went on the COVID list anytime after Wednesday, then he'll miss both of the Vikings final games.  I'm not sure when he officially hit the list though.

On 12/30/2021 at 2:35 PM, PerryToxteth said:

Canada has more stringent rules regarding COVID, as well as border crossings, so that’s why they postponed the games. League Office is in Toronto which also factors into the decision making. 

Actually, the NHL came out today and said it was because of the attendance restrictions.  While they were postponing another batch of games to be played in Canada.

https://www.tsn.ca/nhl-postpones-eight-more-canadian-hosted-games-1.1740619

The NHL has the same considerations that the NBA and MLB do as far as border crossings and the like go.  They negotiated them this time around, as opposed to last season's league paradigm that featured an all-Canadaian division that meant no need for cross-border travel before the Semifinals.

This is simply a money thing at this point.

Former player and coach Dan Reeves has died, he lead Denver to 3 Superbowls and lead the Falcons to there first ever superbowl and he won superbowl 6 as a player with the Cowboys and lost 6 as player too and won Superbowl 12 as there OC https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/32972670/dan-reeves-former-nfl-coach-player-dies-77

Hopefully he can get into the Hof 

Edited by Conker

23 hours ago, Matto_lsi said:

Another COVID-related QB issue, this time in Minn., as Cousins (who is unvaccinated) tests positive for COVID and will miss Sunday's game against the Packers.  Since the 2nd string is also positive (though no clue on his vax status, so he could still be available for the game), the Vikings could be down to a practice squad QB for this game.  Playoff hopes were a long-shot for them anyway, but it's probably safe to say their season is over now.

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/nfl-news-vikings-kirk-cousins-enters-protocols-wont-play-vs-packers-160040196.html

It's also not mentioned in the article, but if he has to be out 10 days, and went on the COVID list anytime after Wednesday, then he'll miss both of the Vikings final games.  I'm not sure when he officially hit the list though.

Once we found out Kirk Cousins was unvaccinated, every Viking fan knew this moment was coming at some point in the season. Of course, with the Vikings luck, it comes in the most pivotal game, with a must-win-to-survive scenario. More consequential, Kirk’s decision might cost the jobs of GM Spielman and Coach Zimmer, which would be fortuitous, given that they chose to give Cousins a contract that calls for him to be paid $35 million next year. 

Along with the Whiskey Bottle game, Darin Nelson TD drop, Gary Anderson miss, 12th man in huddle, this incident will just add to the Monkey Wrench moments of Vikings infamy. 

10 hours ago, MidnightDragon said:

So whose heads are gonna roll after next weekend? Nagy is the only obvious one

Joe Judge and Mike Zimmer were 2 that came to mind.  Probably a long shot but wouldn't surprise me if Vic Fangio is out in Denver or Ron Rivera in Washington.  Think for everyone besides Judge, it's gonna come down to how their teams play these final 2 games.  Don't need to necessarily win, but half-hearted efforts could see the coach gone.  Doug Pederson already interviewed for HC in JAX.  It makes sense for both being Doug lives in FL and is known as a player-friendly coach which may be needed after that shitshow with Urban Meyer.

Edited by kinnyman

Joe Judge (probably) isn't going to be fired.  The scuttlebutt in these parts is that Ownership likes him, that Ownership doesn't want to move on from him that quickly, that Ownership is feeling regretful about cycling through coaches as frequently as they have in recent years and wants a guy to last more than two seasons.  And that when Ownership interviews General Manager candidates, there's going to be a very strong suggestion that the guy they hire should keep Joe Judge in charge, at least for another year.

I don't know how much it matters, because the Giants have so many problems that coaching probably isn't very high on the list.  That offense probably needs to be rebuilt almost entirely from scratch, because outside of perhaps the WR core there isn't anything there that screams "Keep Me!"  Plus a new GM is very possibly going to use one of those high 1st-round picks on a new QB to build his own regime around and that alone is liable to set things back a year or two.

• Like 1

Antonio Brown threw a total bitch fit after getting benched in the third.

https://www.nfl.com/news/antonio-brown-buccaneers-wr-removes-uniform-exits-field-jets

After the game, Arians said he’s no longer with the team. Hope it was worth it, dumbfuck. 

https://mobile.twitter.com/AdamSchefter/status/1477749958975631368

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, MidnightDragon said:

Antonio Brown

What a moron.  He's gotta be done for good.  Idk how anyone signs him after this crap.

This could've been worse lol  Good on Hurts to help the fans up instead of juking around the pile and sprinting to the locker room. 

I went into today hoping that the Bengals would keep up with the Chiefs, but expecting the AFC North race to come down to week 18, but thanks to Jamarr Chase’s historic game (most receiving yards by rookie in a single game in NFL history), and Burrow still being on fire, they’ve won the North. Next step, end the playoff win drought.

Edited by whodeygamer

52 minutes ago, whodeygamer said:

I went into today hoping that the Bengals would keep up with the Chiefs, but expecting the AFC North race to come down to week 18, but thanks to Jamarr Chase’s historic game (most receiving yards by rookie in a single game in NFL history), and Burrow still being on fire, they’ve won the North. Next step, end the playoff win drought.

Congrats! I saw the second half. Memo to Chiefs - the position is called safety. You might want to roll one of those over to Chase’s side of the field. 

Just Antonio Brown doing Antonio Brown things...

1 hour ago, kinnyman said:

What a moron.  He's gotta be done for good.  Idk how anyone signs him after this crap.

I thought the same thing the LAST [few] time(s), but sure enough, he got signed by the Pats amid drama and a rape allegation.  Then I thought he was done, but nope, Bucs sign him AND keep him despite him committing federal fraud by buying a vaccine card.  Will today's antics really be enough to keep another team from signing him?  Probably not...

Edited by Matto_lsi
  • Like 1

Remember when the Buccaneers previously said there was "zero tolerance" for Antonio Brown doing Antonio Brown things, such as faking a vaccination card?  And they brought him back anyhow and inserted him into the lineup because they had a couple of injuries and "winning" clearly takes precedence over things like "being a good citizen"?

Yeah....

This is the sort of thing that makes a lot of people root against the Buccaneers, myself included.  Though the list of teams/players doing (in my opinion) douche things that I have to root against is getting rather long....  It's like I might have to root for a massive COVID outbreak to cancel a playoff game and create a double forfeit at this point.

31 minutes ago, acasser said:

Remember when the Buccaneers previously said there was "zero tolerance" for Antonio Brown doing Antonio Brown things, such as faking a vaccination card?  And they brought him back anyhow and inserted him into the lineup because they had a couple of injuries and "winning" clearly takes precedence over things like "being a good citizen"?

Yeah....

This is the sort of thing that makes a lot of people root against the Buccaneers, myself included.  Though the list of teams/players doing (in my opinion) douche things that I have to root against is getting rather long....  It's like I might have to root for a massive COVID outbreak to cancel a playoff game and create a double forfeit at this point.

I root against them because of Tom Brady and they turned a blind eye to the fact AB is a domestic abuser.

3 hours ago, Matto_lsi said:

I thought the same thing the LAST [few] time(s), but sure enough, he got signed by the Pats amid drama and a rape allegation.  Then I thought he was done, but nope, Bucs sign him AND keep him despite him committing federal fraud by buying a vaccine card.  Will today's antics really be enough to keep another team from signing him?  Probably not...

Despite all of the stupid things he has done, I feel the league views an action like this during a game as worse than the other things.  Walking out during a game is one thing, like the Buffalo corner who retired at half-time, but to leave like he did...ridiculous.  this combined with all the other shit, I really think he burned his last bridge.  I feel the league / owners will view this as him spitting in the face of the game and the NFL itself.  It's embarassing and I think his bullshit vs value scale has tilted the other way. 

Packers clinch 1 seed in NFC which ends the Vikings playoff hopes which were slim to begin with and nade way harder without Cousins and secures the a Eagles wildcard berth

Bengals win AFC North defeatin Chiefs on game winning fg to drop Chiefs back to the 2 seed

Titans regain 1 seed in AFC thumping the Dolphins and all but ending there wildcard hopes apart from a miracle

Pats put up 50 on Jags and Bills get past Falcons to end there season and remain in control for the  AFC East as long as they beat the Jets or Patriots lose

Rams fight past Ravens late to move to 2 seed and leave Ravens needing win and help next week to make playoffs

Raiders win on game winning fg against the Colts to put them in a winner take all game against the Chargers whilst Colts just gotta beat the Jags to get in

Chargers easily handle a weakended Broncos to get in winner take all showdown agaist Raiders and ending Broncos season

Bucs stay in 3rd seed after escaping a fantastic effort from the lowly Jets, Brady with another 4qtr game winning drive

Cardinals end losing streak with win over the Cowboys which ends Cowboys 1 seed hopes and noe drops them to the 4th seed

Saints didn't play well but did enogh against the Panthers to stay alive for the playoffs, in which they must win and 49ers lose

49ers without Jimmy G get enough from Trey Lance to fend off the Texans and keep there playoff destiny in there own hands, win against Rams next week and in, but Will Jimmy G be available? 

In what might be Wilson's last Seattle home game he let it rip putting up 51 as tthey drubbed the 2 win Lions, could it be Bobby Wagners last Seattle game too?

And the Bears had a easy win today in Probably Matt Nagy's last home game as they crushed the Giants 29-3, Giants were totally dreadful with there passing game going for -10yards, least they ran for over 100yards which still says nothing, and Changes aren't coming??? Surely they must rethink after today