National Football League Thread

cmgravekeeper

Chicago Bears have fired Matt Nagy https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/33034402/source-chicago-bears-fire-matt-nagy-4-years-following-6-11-season

Vikings have fired Mike Zimmer and GM https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/33034349/reports-minnesota-vikings-fire-head-coach-mike-zimmer-gm-rick-spielman

The Dolphins for some dumb reason have fired Brian Flores???  in his 3 seasons he went 5-11, 10-6, 9-8 

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/33034467/miami-dolphins-fire-coach-brian-flores-three-seasons

Edited by Conker

1 hour ago, Conker said:

Don’t understand the last one. Jags, Broncos, Vikings, Bears, those I get. He had a winning record two of his three years. Guess there has to be at least one that makes zero sense.

17 hours ago, Conker said:

That was such a insane game, all the crazynes, the Chargers final td drive to send it to OT and then OT that seemed headed for a tie until Chargers take a timeout and then raiders get a 1st down on run and Carlson hits the game winning kick as time expires to send them to Cincinnati, Steelers who were sweating to KC and Chargers home.

so best season finale ever??

According to Derek Carr, the Raiders did change their plan once the Chargers called that last TO. It felt like a bizarre time to call it, considering 30 seconds had come off the play clock before Staley called it.  Who knows, had he not called that TO, all three Charger fans in LA would’ve bought tickets to the playoffs today. 
The Chargers were like a cat with nine lives last night. How many fourth-and-longs did they complete in their final couple drives to stay alive? I really thought Carlson would miss that FG in the end with how crazy the 4th quarter and OT turned out to be. Does he get free drinks in Pittsburgh now for the rest of his life??

30 minutes ago, PerryToxteth said:

According to Derek Carr, the Raiders did change their plan once the Chargers called that last TO. It felt like a bizarre time to call it, considering 30 seconds had come off the play clock before Staley called it.  Who knows, had he not called that TO, all three Charger fans in LA would’ve bought tickets to the playoffs today. 
The Chargers were like a cat with nine lives last night. How many fourth-and-longs did they complete in their final couple drives to stay alive? I really thought Carlson would miss that FG in the end with how crazy the 4th quarter and OT turned out to be. Does he get free drinks in Pittsburgh now for the rest of his life??

Yeah, I don’t buy it.  I think Carr was confused (or starting controversy).  They were definitely not in kneel down formation and I bet were running the same play.  And like you said, the play clock was about to expire so it wasn’t like the Chargers were trying to prolong the game.  They just wanted to make sure they stopped them from getting into FG range.  They failed.

Had the Raiders been stuffed on that last run, it is probably too far to attempt a FG and then both make it.  That would’ve been hilarious.  So close!

1 hour ago, PerryToxteth said:

all three Charger fans in LA would’ve bought tickets to the playoffs today. 

Lol, think you might have estimated a bit high on that one.  Also, Giants fans have to be waiting and wondering, getting more worried with every passing minute.

Edited by skidmarkgn

3 hours ago, PerryToxteth said:

2 hours ago, djb5f said:

Yeah, I don’t buy it.  I think Carr was confused (or starting controversy).  They were definitely not in kneel down formation and I bet were running the same play.  And like you said, the play clock was about to expire so it wasn’t like the Chargers were trying to prolong the game.  They just wanted to make sure they stopped them from getting into FG range.  They failed.

Had the Raiders been stuffed on that last run, it is probably too far to attempt a FG and then both make it.  That would’ve been hilarious.  So close!

Bill Barnwell over at ESPN actually wrote a pretty well-reasoned article about this one, and in what passes for a small miracle ESPN didn't stash the article behind their paywall.  Rather than pull large chunks from it, I'll just recommend that people head over to ESPN.com and find it and read it for themselves.  Barnwell is a good writer and a smart guy; it's a shame that ESPN has stuck him (and pretty much all their other real talent) behind the paywall 99% of the time.

And in one nugget I'll pull from that article and mention here, I agree with Barnwell that I don't think Las Vegas was playing for the tie.  They'd certainly take a tie and the playoff berth that came along with it, but it was much better for the Raiders to win the game and go to Cincinnati this upcoming weekend than to tie the game and go to Kansas City to play the Chiefs instead.  One could argue that the Raiders were "playing not to lose" in that they were happy to grind clock and prevent the Chargers from getting another possession, but Los Angeles also had one of the worst run defenses in the League this year and as such running against them was probably a low-risk option.

The Raiders probably wouldn't have wanted to risk a really long field gial given the opportunity for a "Kick Six" scenario to transpire -- if you recall the 2013 Iron Bowl that prevented Alabama from having a shot at a three-peat and eventually got Jameis Winston a national title.  But there was definitely incentive for them to try and win the game.  Mitigate the downside risk, but push for the upside.

And, hey.  The only two teams that are probably unhappy here are Los Angeles and Buffalo.  The Chargers for obvious reasons, and Buffalo because they have to face New England now.  (The Chargers would have been the 6th seed with a win or tie.)

Shit.  I was hoping the Giants would keep him for the next 10 years to guarantee they would stink for that long.  Talk is Eagles DC Gannon is up for head coaching considerations.  Awesome!  Would love to see Fangio or Flores as a DC here.  I can't see Flores not getting another HC job, but Fangio would be great for a defense heavy draft class with 3 1st rd picks.

Who says the Giants can't stink for the next several years?  Despite what their now-former Head Coach said, that team is a clown show.

Just about the only thing the Giants have going for them right now is that they have the 5th and 7th picks.  Alas, it's a weak year for quarterbacks in the draft and so that probably won't help very much.  Their offense is a catastrophe:  their offensive line sucks despite it (supposedly) being a point of emphasis for their now-former General Manager, the franchise has no idea if Daniel Jones can be "the guy", their star RB can't stay healthy and productive and is coming up on the point where the Giants have to really pay him or cut him loose, and their wide receiving corps is vastly overrated (and overpaid).

Their salary cap situation is a mess with no easy fixes to be had.  Their defense isn't very good -- they held 3 of 17 opponents to fewer than 20 points this year.  And the vast amount of churn on the sidelines and the front office probably scares off some of the better candidates from being very interested in the job.

It's probably better that they fired Joe Judge now instead of letting him twist in the wind while they interviewed GM candidates.  Because most of those GM candidates probably want to bring in their own guy; firing Judge now at least makes the team look a little less like a clown show.  Now it's just the quarterback twisting in the wind waiting to see if the new regime will have confidence in him or if they'll mimic what their same-stadium "rivals" did and cut bait.  I suspect the Giants will run Daniel Jones back unless they find a suitable veteran relatively cheap -- somebody in the Jimmy Garoppolo tier of things who can be acquired for a second-day draft pick.  Because the draft isn't the answer with where the Giants are picking.

I was just being a smart ass, but after reading all that, the short-term future does look bleak.  Still, I think they can get a GM to come in because it's a big market team, so they'll get paid.  This year they will have to eat shit, but come 2023 they don't have a lot of players under contract so that would be the time to finish tearing everything down and starting fresh.

Because of the cap situation, their best bet seems to be to trade one of those top 10 picks for a king's ransom of futures if anyone wants to jump up, go line heavy in the draft this year, and off load whatever contracts they can if anyone is buying the positions they over spent on last year.  Give Jones his last year, then say sayonara, and hope some stars emerge in college or try to grab someone in free agency.  Any FA signings should be linemen only.  Hire Brooklyn born Flores as coach, and come 2024 they should be sitting in a lot better position than they are now.

3 hours ago, Conker said:

Saw that while I was having lunch. I wonder if they’re hoping Harbaugh will be an option.

Edited by MidnightDragon

3 hours ago, MidnightDragon said:

Saw that while I was having lunch. I wonder if they’re hoping Harbaugh will be an option.

I find myself wondering something very different.  If the Texans might try and "undo the damage" from "last year's mistake" by including DeShaun Watson in the hiring process this time around with the hope that they can mend relations with him and make him something of a happy camper who will rescind his trade request given that nobody is going to meet Houston's exorbitant trade price demands.

There'd still be a need to navigate through the minefield that are the sexual assault allegations and all the civil proceedings, but that's not an insurmountable obstacle and I find it very interesting (and suspicious) how all of that seemed to disappear into the background with Watson not playing a snap this season.

4 hours ago, majob said:

Harbaugh is definitely on his way  out in Michigan after the thrashing the team received against Georgia

Michigan’s John Cooper was on borrowed time before this season, right? Had to take a big pay cut if I remember correctly? Might be a good exit strategy instead of getting fired from his alma mater. 

11 minutes ago, PerryToxteth said:

Michigan’s John Cooper was on borrowed time before this season, right? Had to take a big pay cut if I remember correctly? Might be a good exit strategy instead of getting fired from his alma mater. 

Yep his contract was restructured to be on a year to year basis and it's entirely contingent. His performance wasn't bad but it's safe to say he's reached his ceiling.

Fun first game of wildcard with Bengals holding on late to defeat the Raiders and finally end the 31 year drought, credit to Raiders on a good season and getting this far after what they went through, now they gotta decide Carr and who's the coach. Personally i'd keep Carr and make Bissacia the head coach.

Refs lets say that was not a good game espcially that td which shouldn't have been because of the whistle

So Bengals and Bills move on. The Patriots definitely aren’t what they once were. That game was just humiliation for them. Bet Belichick will be watching the game at his suite in Gillette all night when they get back…and make the team walk home. xD 

Edited by MidnightDragon

Well Bills move on drubbing the Patriots,scoring on all posessions but last which was all kneel downs, Bills might be hitting there best football now. For Patriots a impressieve season with Rookie Mac Jones getting to playoffs, future is bright 

Well Bucs roll to a easy win 31-15 after being up 31-0, Bucs will have another home game next week in the divisional round, Eagles now have a big draft with all there acquired picks and will look to build on this very suprising season