National Football League Thread

cmgravekeeper

Didn't hate having to cheer for the 9ers today, if it wasn't for them being a division rival I'd probably even be a fan.  Gotta ton of respect for Samual, Kittle, and ksdjhfvjshfbvczheck.  Tomorrow on the other hand, pulling for a Rams win is already making me wanna start punching myself in the nuts, but, lesser evil and all... also, the Rams' kryptonite is already advanced and waiting.

My hopes for tomorrow are Chiefs and Rams, but thinking Bucs…but as today shows, crazy things can happen. I wanted the 49ers to win, so happy about that. With the Titans and Bengals, didn’t care, but was shocked they went down. 

Edited by MidnightDragon

in a defense struggle of a game 2 big special teams plays for the 49ers along with stout defense help them eliminate the Packers 13-10 on a game winning field goal to send them to the NFC Championship game, Another dissapointing exit for the Packers after another dominant regular season .

So was that Rodgers last game in Green Bay or even the NFL?

Edited by Conker

so 27-3 up Rams were only to have it tied with 42 seconds left, to then drive down the field themselves and kick the game winning field goal as time expires to win 30-27, what a crazy game that was. Rams now host the NFC Championship game against there Kryptonite in the 49ers 

In probably the unlikeliest of scenarios (other than the Eagles going all the way), the NFC Championship game will be an NFC West affair.  I'm stunned.  I'm absolutely elated, but still stunned.  The Niners pulled it off.. somehow.  I can't remember the last time they had a blocked field goal or a blocked punt - let alone in the same damn game - but there it is.  Fantastic!  Also, the fact the Rams managed to beat the Bucs... wow!  Was not expecting both Kaaron and Brady to get knocked out this weekend.  I don't even care what happens next week, just the fact that neither of them have a shot at the SB makes me happy.  I'll still be cheering for the Niners, of course, but to be honest, I never expected them to make it this far.  And it's soooo damn hard to beat a team 3 times in one season, so this next one is going to be really rough.  But at least the teams remaining aren't the few I despise, meaning regardless of next weeks results, the SB will be worth watching.  On the AFC side, I'd like to see the Bills win today, only because neither them or the Bengals have had a chance in decades.  But I won't be bothered either way.

• Like 1

Pretty sure this'll be the 6th time in the last 10 SB's that the NFC is represented by a team from the West, unfortunately I also think they're 1-4 in those games so far (9ers lost to Baltimore and KC and both the Rams and Seahawks lost to the Patriotsfor the 4 losses and Seattle trounced Denver for the sole win).  If the SB matchup is 9ers/Chiefs then hopefully the West will finally win another one... any other matchup and it's Yay AFC for me.

Bucs losing is good.  Rams losing next week would be better because I can't stand them and their "everybody whine their way off their own teams to form a Super Team in La La Land" either.

I was rooting for a surprise tsunami to strike the game in the middle of the third quarter or something and wash both teams away, but I guess Tom Brady losing will have to do.

• Like 1

Wow was that the best Divisional round in NFL history ever of what!!

Chiefs beat Bills in OT in a utter classic 42-36 and they were down 3 with 13 seconds left and somehow got into field goal range to force OT and then they got ball to start OT and drove down for the game winning td, just a epic game and now they will yet again host the AFC Championship game 

I’d hate to be a Bills fan or player after losing this game the way they did

Edited by Conker
  • Like 1

Feel for Josh Allen (stud) but what a game.  Shades of Pats/Chiefs AFC title game from a few years back where Mahomes never got the ball in OT.

All four games went down to the wire but the pure drama and insanity of this last game was well above the others.  

The Chiefs and Bills have a higher gear (higher ceiling) than the remaining playoff teams but as we’ve seen this weekend, the better team does not always win.  It is the better team for those 60 minutes.  

After the results of the earlier games (upsets), I felt the Bills were the only ones with a good chance to beat the Chiefs.  I feel that way even more now and think the Chiefs roll now (two wins by 10+)

• Like 1

So the championship game is again an NFC West affair, just like the good old time with SEA vs SF!! They're the best division in football for a good reason... Now I just hope the league won't start a trend to "let" the SB host to play and win it.

Even the AFC has a west team, and a Bengals-Chiefs should be a good game.

7 hours ago, skidmarkgn said:

Curious see if it becomes inevitable with the lack of defensive play in today's NFL that the overtime rules change to straight up minimum one possession for each team. 

What would you have them do, go full college rules and give each team the ball at the other team's 25-yard line (or so)?

The rules as they are now are fine.  Buffalo had ample opportunities to make a stop and simply didn't do so.  Not in overtime, and not at the end of regulation either.  And in the case of the latter, their "strategy" sucked because they simply let Mahomes slice and dice them in a situation where there wasn't any surprises as to what he was going to do.

7 minutes ago, MidnightDragon said:

Saw a lot of mockery of the Cowboys online last night because of what they screwed up in 14 seconds and what Mahomes managed to pull off in 13. 

Yeah, time-outs are pretty important!

Dak covered 15 yards (20 from LOS) in 5 seconds, but it took over 9 seconds for the officials to spot the ball.  It didn’t help that the official was sprinting in from 30 yards away for some reason.  

3 hours ago, acasser said:

What would you have them do, go full college rules and give each team the ball at the other team's 25-yard line (or so)?

The rules as they are now are fine.  Buffalo had ample opportunities to make a stop and simply didn't do so.  Not in overtime, and not at the end of regulation either.  And in the case of the latter, their "strategy" sucked because they simply let Mahomes slice and dice them in a situation where there wasn't any surprises as to what he was going to do.

I didn't say I wanna change it, I said I'm curious if they will.  If there's anything I would change it's teams somehow always thinking "prevent defense" is the way to go when there's no virtually time left and the opponent needs to score.

2 hours ago, skidmarkgn said:

I didn't say I wanna change it, I said I'm curious if they will.  If there's anything I would change it's teams somehow always thinking "prevent defense" is the way to go when there's no virtually time left and the opponent needs to score.

I hate prevent D... HATE it.  It only prevents the team who does it from winning the game.  In the 90s the Niners would get big leads, then play prevent and let the other team come back each and every time.  It drove me nuts.  How do these coaches see their D play great all game and then think 'Ya know what, let's play 20 yards off the line and a soft zone and give them lots of free yards, cause holding them to 3 points for 3 quarters just wasn't fun'.  It's stupid.  Ok, rant over.

In regards to overtime, I wish they'd change the rules back to how it used to be.  So many games ending in ties.  Every season there's at least one, and sometimes far more.  The sudden death aspect of OT was fine, not sure why that needed a change in the first place.  It just makes already really long games even longer and offers more opportunities for injuries.  Remember when they said no helmet hits, cause you know, injuries?  Remember when they moved the kick-off to the 25 yard one to prevent more returns, cause, you know, injuries?  Also, remember when they got rid of instant-replay cause it supposedly made the games too long?  But now longer OTs, playing through COVID even if a team can't field a real QB, fucking Thurs night games.... guess game length and injuries don't really mean jack.  (Again, rant over)

• Like 1