National Football League Thread

cmgravekeeper

I understand that the networks feel the need to keep topping up on recently retired players -- usually stars -- to provide "expert commentary" and the like.  But who wants to listen to that insufferable ass all the time?  Could he please go away?  Preferably quietly?  And if he won't, won't somebody take the common fan into consideration by kidnapping him, gagging him, and stuffing him into the trunk of an old Buick somewhere?

• Like 1

On 5/10/2022 at 8:35 PM, acasser said:

I understand that the networks feel the need to keep topping up on recently retired players -- usually stars -- to provide "expert commentary" and the like.  But who wants to listen to that insufferable ass all the time?  Could he please go away?  Preferably quietly?  And if he won't, won't somebody take the common fan into consideration by kidnapping him, gagging him, and stuffing him into the trunk of an old Buick somewhere?

The scars from Brady owning the East are still fresh it seems

Edited by majob
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, majob said:

The scars are from Brady owning the East are still fresh it seems

I'm not a fan of the East and I whole-heartedly second Acasser's motion.  I don't put it all on Brady though, the nut-slobbering "sports media" who can't go a single solitary second without shoving Brady down our throats shares an equal amount of the blame.  I'm sure Brady came back so he can eventually do a "this is gonna be my last year" tour during the season as well.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, skidmarkgn said:

I'm not a fan of the East and I whole-heartedly second Acasser's motion.  I don't put it all on Brady though, the nut-slobbering "sports media" who can't go a single solitary second without shoving Brady down our throats shares an equal amount of the blame.  I'm sure Brady came back so he can eventually do a "this is gonna be my last year" tour during the season as well.

The scars from the  2014 super bowl are still fresh it seems....I kid, I kid. It's Brady, it's free interest material since he's developing his post football plans which seems to developing a media persona and everyone is still waiting on him to retire... for real this time guys

12 hours ago, majob said:

The scars are from Brady owning the East are still fresh it seems

I've been a Jets fan for more than 40 years.  I have scars on top of scars on top of scars, some of which existed prior to Tom Brady being a drippy run-off in his daddy's pants.

I just think the guy is an ass, and I'd prefer not to listen to him.  Then again, I watch so little NFL football these days with the League's politics that it probably doesn't matter.

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...
17 hours ago, MidnightDragon said:

Sad tale of how life doesn’t always pan out. He gets picked in the first round of the 2020 Draft by the Vikings. Life couldn’t get any better, right? Gets playing time that season, probably because of lack of talent on the roster, but things go South when he gets cut by the team due to a domestic assault charge. Wastes a year of his life waiting for that to play out in court (charges dropped in the end), finally gets a new chance to resume his career with AZ, and then it’s all over in a blink of an eye.

Tragic. 

• 2 weeks later...

Guess we shouldn’t get too used to him.

https://www.nfl.com/news/new-chiefs-wr-juju-smith-schuster-could-see-myself-back-in-pittsburgh

And this was never gonna end well, but this solidified it.

https://www.sportskeeda.com/nfl/mina-kimes-slams-browns-lying-due-diligence-signing-deshaun-watson

Edited by MidnightDragon

No, Browns fans:  God doesn't hate Cleveland.  Your Ownership and Management hates Cleveland, Browns fans in particular.

Deshaun Watson isn't going to play a down this year.  They're going to have to turn back to Baker Mayfield, warts and all, and I don't know how well that's going to work given the way that team has treated him in the past year or so.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

And here's the next contestant on "The Price is Fucking What!?!?".... Jimmy Garoppolo, come on down!

As for the bonus question?  What's the starting matchup Week 1 when the Browns and Panthers play?  My money is on Baker Mayfield vs. Jacoby Brissett, but I'm much more confident in the back half of that equation than I am the front end.

• 2 weeks later...
36 minutes ago, MidnightDragon said:

Yea, I get it...but still think that he needed to go yesterday.

Not sure if I can find it, but I read an article on the weekend which outlined the contract Cleveland gave him. Upshot of it is that regardless of how much he gets suspended, the structure of the contract ensures he gets his full salary. He literally can’t lose money even if he doesn’t play a single down. 

Fuck Cleveland for doing this. Sorry for their fans, but I hope for the very worst karma to strike the team.

Edit

Here it is

https://www.sportingnews.com/ca/nfl/news/deshaun-watson-contract-suspension-browns-qbs/sxgdjq8o8ouiyxsz6qf5g1qt

So really only his base 1 million salary is at risk if he gets part of a year suspension. A full year just pushes the contract start date out, so no money is lost (but he could lose years of free agency I guess). It’s unconscionable that a team could do this. They were convinced enough that he did this that they structured a contract to ensure he wouldn’t get penalized. Wow

Edited by diskdocx

1 hour ago, diskdocx said:

Not sure if I can find it, but I read an article on the weekend which outlined the contract Cleveland gave him. Upshot of it is that regardless of how much he gets suspended, the structure of the contract ensures he gets his full salary. He literally can’t lose money even if he doesn’t play a single down. 

Fuck Cleveland for doing this. Sorry for their fans, but I hope for the very worst karma to strike the team.

Edit

Here it is

https://www.sportingnews.com/ca/nfl/news/deshaun-watson-contract-suspension-browns-qbs/sxgdjq8o8ouiyxsz6qf5g1qt

So really only his base 1 million salary is at risk if he gets part of a year suspension. A full year just pushes the contract start date out, so no money is lost (but he could lose years of free agency I guess). It’s unconscionable that a team could do this. They were convinced enough that he did this that they structured a contract to ensure he wouldn’t get penalized. Wow

Well, Cleveland’s brass isn’t exactly known for their brilliant decision making. :P 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

OK, why is it so fucking hard to make a decision on Deshaun Watson?! The original judge took a long time and now the appeal judge is dragging his damn feet. If this is due to more careful consideration, I'm all for it, but...fucking arrogant scumbag doesn't belong in the NFL and that's the nicest thing I can say about him.

16 hours ago, MidnightDragon said:

OK, why is it so fucking hard to make a decision on Deshaun Watson?! The original judge took a long time and now the appeal judge is dragging his damn feet. If this is due to more careful consideration, I'm all for it, but...fucking arrogant scumbag doesn't belong in the NFL and that's the nicest thing I can say about him.

No disagreement there. I'm honestly going to have a hard time supporting the Browns while he's on the roster, but I shouldn't allow one scumbag to ruin it for everyone else.

18 hours ago, MidnightDragon said:

The legal system has never been known for its speed