National Football League Thread

cmgravekeeper

10 hours ago, Conker said:

Geno Smith looked great as Seahawks hang on by 1, But Seriorsly what the Fuck was that clock management by Hackett letting clock run down for a 64yrd FG instead of trusting the guy your team invested big in???

Agree. I would think your odds of getting a 4th-and-5, are greater than attempting a near NFL record FG. What was even more putrid was when Seattle got the ball back with seconds to go, then the rookie head coach decides to call his timeouts. :shakefist:

Buts hats off to the Seahawks, they played better than everyone thought. Revenge can be so sweet. 

On 6/14/2022 at 9:16 AM, acasser said:

No, Browns fans:  God doesn't hate Cleveland.  Your Ownership and Management hates Cleveland, Browns fans in particular.

I'm sure all the pundits and experts will provide detailed analysis about just how the Browns coughed up today's game to the Jets.  But it really comes down to one singular play without which there's never a chance for the Jets to rally:  Nick Chubb's third TD of the afternoon with 1:55 remaining.

I play couch potato on Sunday afternoons when the Jets play, my mother somewhere lurking around doing work or reading a book or something in the easy chair.  As soon as Chubb scored there to make it 30-17, I turned to my mother and said "That was a mistake; Chubb should have either gone out-of-bounds or taken a knee on the 1-yard line instead of scoring."  And so those words were prophetic.

A well-coached team with intelligent, well-coached players would have known to not score there, as to simply be able to run out the clock after the 2-minute warning with three kneel-downs.  Alas for Browns fans, your team isn't intelligent and well-coached and probably hasn't been since Bill Belichick was run out of town back during the Bill Clinton presidency.  Hell, that's something that I don't believe I'd ever see a Bill Belichick team do.

Sure, it took a comical cascade of calamity following the TD run for the Jets to pull out a mind-boggling victory, but there's never a chance if Chubb goes down.  The Browns would have been drinking their postgame beers with a 24-17 victory and a 2-0 record; instead, they've probably sentenced their fans to another season of (well-deserved) misery.

On the bright side, maybe a couple of extra Browns fans (and players) will win their fantasy leagues because Nick Chubb was padding his stats.

• Like 1

Well that was a wild slate of Sunday afternoon games

Dolphins score 28 in 4th qtr to stun the Ravens late

Jets as mentioned above

Colts looking like complete garbage getting shutout at Jacksonville in the 24-0 loss

Cardinals winning in OT against the Raiders after 2 4th qtr tds and 2 , 2 point conversions with one taking 20.8 seconds

Cooper Rush in start 2 with another game winnin drive, exactly what the Cowboys needed

Jimmy G returning and leading the 49ers to a win over Seattle as Trey Lance was injured, now out for the season

Almost had the Rams blow a 28-3 lead on the Falcons

and don't look now but the Giants are 2-0

On 9/13/2022 at 9:52 AM, PerryToxteth said:

Agree. I would think your odds of getting a 4th-and-5, are greater than attempting a near NFL record FG. 

Well the decision was between converting the 4th and 5 AND then also converting what’s likely to be a long FG versus making the really long FG.  I still think they should’ve gone for it but it wasn’t totally crazy.  And damn, if he didn’t nearly make the FG as it was.

3 hours ago, acasser said:

On the bright side, maybe a couple of extra Browns fans (and players) will win their fantasy leagues because Nick Chubb was padding his stats.

That was me (well, not the Browns fan part).  Thanks Nick Chubb.  

You have to feel for the fanbases of those two franchises.  Each has to be thinking “how are we going to lose today?”  With the level playing field (salary cap, and then draft and schedule help given for losing), it is insane that neither has made a single Super Bowl in over half a century!

Edited by djb5f

The Niners season might be salvaged.... maybe.  Don't get me wrong, it's absolutely awful that Lance won't be playing because of an injury.  I'm really sorry that he got hurt, and I wish that never happened.  I didn't want him in there, but not this way.  I can't remember how long ago I said it, but regardless of what Niners front office says, he is not the future of the Niners.  I'd love to be wrong on this, but I just don't see it.  He's talented, but I don't think he'll ever be an elite NFL QB.  Doesn't mean I think Jimmy G is elite either, but I believe he is the best option for the Niners now and in the future, and I've been saying that since last season when d-bag Shanahan wanted nothing more than to get rid of him.  He gave Jimmy nothing last year, no support, no love, nothing, and Jimmy defied every expectation.  Lance showed us who he is last week against the Bears.  Jimmy showed us who he is today against the Hawks.  If you're not convinced, I can't blame you, the Jimmy G ride is quite the roller coaster.  But with Lance this would have ended up being a losing season, .500 at best, and all the excuses would have passed the blame to anyone and everyone else.  I bet they'd even have deemed this a 'rebuild' season, despite the entire core of playmakers is still there from the last couple seasons.  But now I feel like I can look forward to sunday games again.  Niners won't win them all, but at least it should be fun to watch.  And hopefully they'll have a good season, maybe even make the playoffs, and maybe Jimmy can continue to prove people wrong.  If he can stop making stupid mistakes at the worst time, he may well just do that.

On that note, I also wish Lance a speedy recovery.  Hopefully he'll fully recover and the injury won't affect his future.

6 hours ago, Matto_lsi said:

The Niners season might be salvaged.... maybe.  Don't get me wrong, it's absolutely awful that Lance won't be playing because of an injury.  I'm really sorry that he got hurt, and I wish that never happened.  I didn't want him in there, but not this way.  I can't remember how long ago I said it, but regardless of what Niners front office says, he is not the future of the Niners.  I'd love to be wrong on this, but I just don't see it.  He's talented, but I don't think he'll ever be an elite NFL QB.  Doesn't mean I think Jimmy G is elite either, but I believe he is the best option for the Niners now and in the future, and I've been saying that since last season when d-bag Shanahan wanted nothing more than to get rid of him.  He gave Jimmy nothing last year, no support, no love, nothing, and Jimmy defied every expectation.  Lance showed us who he is last week against the Bears.  Jimmy showed us who he is today against the Hawks.  If you're not convinced, I can't blame you, the Jimmy G ride is quite the roller coaster.  But with Lance this would have ended up being a losing season, .500 at best, and all the excuses would have passed the blame to anyone and everyone else.  I bet they'd even have deemed this a 'rebuild' season, despite the entire core of playmakers is still there from the last couple seasons.  But now I feel like I can look forward to sunday games again.  Niners won't win them all, but at least it should be fun to watch.  And hopefully they'll have a good season, maybe even make the playoffs, and maybe Jimmy can continue to prove people wrong.  If he can stop making stupid mistakes at the worst time, he may well just do that.

On that note, I also wish Lance a speedy recovery.  Hopefully he'll fully recover and the injury won't affect his future.

Problem is, neither Garoppolo is the future... There's no way he's going to renew, even if somehow he's going to the SB

I give a lot of credit to 49ers Management here.  They could have done like a number of other teams and traded Jimmy Garoppolo for whatever the market would have given them, similar to how Cleveland dumped Baker Mayfield (just to give one exapmle).  Just to end whatever headaches and controversies might have arisen by not having done so.  And if they had followed that easier path, they'd be completely screwed now because they'd be left with a caretaker-at-best quarterback in a season where they have significant aspirations and a path to achieving such.

But they were patient, and they found a way to work things out with the guy.  And now they have a reasonable band-aid in hand to deploy with Trey Lance's injury that allows them to keep humming along.

There aren't very many teams that can say the same.

My completely obvious observations from this weekend, from most obvious to merely super obvious:

1. The buffoonery of the Browns at the end of the Jets game suggests that management needs to look at coaching. It was a complete lack of discipline and game knowledge that was displayed there, and I feel those sorts of blunders come from the top down.
  2. The Bengals are in trouble. Their line doesn't seem to be able to protect Burrow. Their losses don't look particularly good right now, though many teams in the past have gotten healthy off the Jets.
  3. The Colts are in trouble. They were absolutely putrid on Sunday (if you google them, "putrid" seems to be the word of choice for most people who saw that display). It might be time to rebuild, rather than plugging in oldster after oldster at QB.
  4. It looks like another playoff year for the Packers, followed by a one-and-done in the playoffs. Am I biased against Aaron Rodgers? Damn straight, but the fact is, they beat bad teams, and they always have enough bad teams to make the playoffs. And a serious question: is there anyone (outside of Wisconsin, of course) who thinks this team is a serious contender?
  5. When Tua left Alabama, I thought we were seeing one of the greats arrive in the NFL. Has he finally arrived? 4 TDs in the 4th quarter on the road finally might convince many of his naysayers (most of whom live in Miami, I think).
Edited by starcrunch061
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, djb5f said:

Well the decision was between converting the 4th and 5 AND then also converting what’s likely to be a long FG versus making the really long FG.  I still think they should’ve gone for it but it wasn’t totally crazy.  And damn, if he didn’t nearly make the FG as it was.

Except they had plenty to work with. Denver had all their timeouts and had 50-some seconds left on the clock. But Hackett chose to drain the clock and try his luck on one of the longest field goals in history. 
Your other option is to go for it and 4th-and-5, get the first down, and then get three more downs to advance the ball. Again, with plenty of time and TO’s in your pocket. I saw some stat that last year, the 4th-and-5 completion ration was almost half. And your odds have to significantly go up with scrambling Russell Wilson as your QB.

Regardless, Bronco fans have zero faith in their rookie coach just two games into his career. Yesterday, they were counting the play clock down so they wouldn’t get any delay of game penalties. :giggle:

@Matto_lsi - Not entirely fair to judge Trey Lance in a game that was played in a monsoon. But agree that having Jimmy on the bench was a wise move by Front Office. 

Well the Bills showed again why they are a superbowl favourite, absolutely throttling the Titans who had no answer on offense or defense, it getting so bad that Malik Willis got some game time and Derrick Henry was a complete non factor

Eagles were completely dominant against the Vikings on both sides of the Ball, Hurts was great and how about Darius Slay's game with 2 picks and could've had more, Vikings were very poor , Kirk Cousins was poor with 3 bad interceptions and when they had a chance to make it a 1 score nearing halftime, Irv Smith jr drops a sure fire td

12 hours ago, Conker said:

Well the Bills showed again why they are a superbowl favourite, absolutely throttling the Titans who had no answer on offense or defense, it getting so bad that Malik Willis got some game time and Derrick Henry was a complete non factor

Eagles were completely dominant against the Vikings on both sides of the Ball, Hurts was great and how about Darius Slay's game with 2 picks and could've had more, Vikings were very poor , Kirk Cousins was poor with 3 bad interceptions and when they had a chance to make it a 1 score nearing halftime, Irv Smith jr drops a sure fire td

The secret is out: blitz the Vikings and Cousins combusts. While the O-line has played better this year, they are still not very good. And Kirk wilts under pressure. I think coaching had something to do with the offensive implosion last night. Typically, Kirk gets pressured and will check down for the dump off pass that might get 5 yards if lucky. And he did that in the first half EVERY DAMN TIME. So my hypothesis is, the new coaching staff implored him to head downfield on the blitz. So Kirk said, “You want me to chuck it? Fine.” And then three INT’s followed. I don’t recall Kirk having that many picks in a half while wearing purple. It was atrocious. Instead of standing in and firing a pass, he just lobbed lollipops up like he was playing a game of 500! :facepalm:
And memo to Packers - see what happens when you deploy a premier cornerback on Jefferson the majority of the time? Jaire Alexander must have been fuming while sitting on his couch last night. 
  Equally as embarrassing was the defensive secondary. Why did our safeties play 30 yards back on Jalen Hurts? Don’t you want him to chuck it up bc his deep ball accuracy is suspect? Instead, he just carved the middle up and I think he has only two incompletions in the half. 
Seat belt fastened for what is looking like a roller coaster ride of Kevin O’Connell’s rookie coaching season.  

Somehow we live in a world where after 3 miserable showings the Broncos are tied for first in what's supposed to be the "super division" while the Lions' endless suffering continues despite playing their hearts out week after week.  9ers fans, I feel for you, but I think we can all agree that you're not alone as we all lost for having to watch that Sunday night garbage.

16 minutes ago, skidmarkgn said:

Somehow we live in a world where after 3 miserable showings the Broncos are tied for first in what's supposed to be the "super division" while the Lions' endless suffering continues despite playing their hearts out week after week.  9ers fans, I feel for you, but I think we can all agree that you're not alone as we all lost for having to watch that Sunday night garbage.

Jimmy Orlovsky baby!!!!

Good lord, finding this thread in 2022... that first message is a lot to unpack 7 years later. 

My addition to this thread... as a Ravens fan, man this team scares the hell out of me. Lamar is going insane and we're still barely winning against a pretty poor Pats team. My biggest issues the past few years are 1) This offense should trademark the term "slow start for the offense", my god it's disgusting how poor the first half goes for us. This season hasn't been as bad, especially the dolphins game. But against good teams, a slow start will be the end of the game. 2) This D has a massive inability to close out a game. Injuries haven't helped going back to last years preseason, as we're still feeling the wrath of that and injuries are already piling up this season. But I think it goes beyond the talent on the field at this point. It's gotta be a organizational thing about the schemes/plays/players we bring in. Something just doesn't click. We get super lucky with turnovers or we're giving up 100+ yards to 2022 Devante Parker who had 1 catch all season going into the game. I'm ready to tear it down and start over for the D but you can't do that when you have Lamar on the other side and he's about to get paid the big bucks. I just think this teams in a weird spot somewhere in bw being dominant and looking silly. 

So the Jags destroy the Chargers 38-10, are they for real?? also Brandon Stayley is a moron, its a blowout take Herbert out unless you want those ribs hurt

Eagles continue to look like one the best teams as in there easy when they sack Wentz 9 times as Commanders were atrocious

AFC East battle of  top 2 was on the best games, Dolphins hanging on in a great game to stay unbeaten and hand Bills loss 1

Bucs offense continues to look awful mustering 12, with a td late losing 14-12 to the Packers, is all the off field stuff affecting Bradys play as he hasn't looked great at all

3 hours ago, ebers1998 said:

Good lord, finding this thread in 2022... that first message is a lot to unpack 7 years later. 

My addition to this thread... as a Ravens fan, man this team scares the hell out of me. Lamar is going insane and we're still barely winning against a pretty poor Pats team. My biggest issues the past few years are 1) This offense should trademark the term "slow start for the offense", my god it's disgusting how poor the first half goes for us. This season hasn't been as bad, especially the dolphins game. But against good teams, a slow start will be the end of the game. 2) This D has a massive inability to close out a game. Injuries haven't helped going back to last years preseason, as we're still feeling the wrath of that and injuries are already piling up this season. But I think it goes beyond the talent on the field at this point. It's gotta be a organizational thing about the schemes/plays/players we bring in. Something just doesn't click. We get super lucky with turnovers or we're giving up 100+ yards to 2022 Devante Parker who had 1 catch all season going into the game. I'm ready to tear it down and start over for the D but you can't do that when you have Lamar on the other side and he's about to get paid the big bucks. I just think this teams in a weird spot somewhere in bw being dominant and looking silly. 

With how well Lamar is playing, he's gonna earn a huge deserved pay day, but man if only your defense was in the top 10 and not basically last, i mean you for sure are a dangerous team but theres only so much Lamar can do . and i just hope its not serious injury for Mac Jones from that game

10 hours ago, skidmarkgn said:

Lions' endless suffering continues despite playing their hearts out week after week.

Lions deserved to win that game. But it evens out for the win they stole on a last-second TD play in Detroit last year.

They were the better team on the field yesterday. No sensible Viking fan should feel good about that game. The defense continues to struggle. What’s most frustrating is that they spent millions and millions on Hunter and Z. Smith for the pass rush, and so far it’s not paying off. Goff looked great all game bc he had tons of time to find his receivers. And remember, Jameson Williams will be arriving soon in this offense. Yikes! 
And Detroit just mirrored Philly’s D plan. Take Justin Jefferson out of the game with a double-team, and blitz like crazy. It is looking like the new GM’s draft day trades have hurt. We could’ve taken a WR for two serious deep threats (Thielen is great, but he is over 30 and has lost a step), but instead, we trade down for a safety than only plays on Special Teams. 
Only three weeks in, but this if feeling like 8-8 at best.

11 hours ago, skidmarkgn said:

That game last night set football back 100 years, and it didn't help that I watched the Packers and Bucs earlier. 

A few other things:

1. We're seeing a lot of games where a silly miscue (both from players and coaches) costs a team. It's time to remind players and coaches of the mechanics of the game. The Chiefs absolutely handed victory to the Colts yesterday. The Bills would have still been left with a long field goal, but any sane player makes a sprint for the sidelines instead of dancing for, what, one more yard? And a terrible field goal call in the Detroit game had a nontrivial impact on that one. 
  2. Are the Dolphins for real? It's about time for the customary "How the hell do you lose that one?!?" Losing to the Bengals would be no great shame, but, well, let's see how it happens if it happens.
  3. Kudos to the Jaguars. I know the Chargers are banged up, but a road win is a road win. 

9 hours ago, starcrunch061 said:

We're seeing a lot of games where a silly miscue (both from players and coaches) costs a team. It's time to remind players and coaches of the mechanics of the game.

Maybe that's something players and coaches and teams could work on in practice.... you know, if teams were allowed to practice, if doing so wouldn't interrupt their milk and cookies and/or their naps and/or their posturing on social media.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, MidnightDragon said:

Chiefs played like shit and Jones needs to keep his damn mouth shut. Deserved to lose.

and all the mistakes on Special didn't help you either, you literally gave them all there points and now this week you have no idea whats happening with your SNF game with Bucs due to the Hurricane, though im sure we should know more later in the week

Also How about Cooper Rush being 3-0 as a starter after leading the Cowboys to a hard fought 23-16 win, with the game ending on a sad note as Giants WR Sterling Shepherd went down with a non contact injury and those always=bad news 

Miami's Coaching and Management certainly deserve some level of blame, yes.  But the League has its own, allegedly "independent" medical staff and concussion spotters and the like.  Why do they get a pass when they have virtually unlimited authority to yank players from the game and not let them go back in?

10 hours ago, MidnightDragon said:

Heads need to roll in Miami. Tua shouldn't have been playing tonight. Obviously they lied about what really happened. 

I dont think they did lie if youre referring to last week. The reports were he has on they sidelines yelling at the doctors saying it wasnt his head it was his back