National Football League Thread

cmgravekeeper

16 hours ago, JEDI_BROTHERS said:

I'm tired of this team, take me back to 2015 

It is always interesting to me, that every year highly capable coordinators get promoted to head coach, and suddenly turn into incompetent buffoons. The sport they have been playing, watching and coaching the majority of their lives, suddenly becomes a big brain hurt for them and they can’t make common sense decisions. Most coaches at least get a season+ to figure things out, but it appears Hackett is a dead man walking. For God sakes, team management had to hire a “Senior Assistant” (i.e. babysitter) for him before we even got a month into the season. 
Will Hackett be the fall guy for Russell Wilson’s deplorable play? Is Hackett the reason for Wilson’s deplorable play? It should be entertaining  for the rest of the NFL to watch that play out, but absolutely infuriating for Bronco fans. I’m sure most of us here can relate to our teams having high expectations, but hitting the floor before November. Sorry it happened to you this year. 

On a side note - I’m very bummed Javonte Williams got injured. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, PerryToxteth said:

It is always interesting to me, that every year highly capable coordinators get promoted to head coach, and suddenly turn into incompetent buffoons.

What this suggests to me is that coaching is a lot more about having the right personnel and a lot less about having X's and O's that you can dance to.  That while there's some value in what a coach does, he's still largely a reflection of the personnel around him.

And on another note?  Yesterday demonstrated why Jets fans can't have nice things.  They lost two more players for the season, including their 253rd Right Tackle.  (No, just their 4th, although George Fant will probably be back after their bye week.)  But I wonder how they'll get along without Breece Hall, because now the Jets probably need Zach Wilson to be more than a game manager but to try and affirmatively win some games.  Which isn't going to be easy given the next three games read Belichick, Buffalo, at-Belichick.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, PerryToxteth said:

It is always interesting to me, that every year highly capable coordinators get promoted to head coach, and suddenly turn into incompetent buffoons. The sport they have been playing, watching and coaching the majority of their lives, suddenly becomes a big brain hurt for them and they can’t make common sense decisions. Most coaches at least get a season+ to figure things out, but it appears Hackett is a dead man walking. For God sakes, team management had to hire a “Senior Assistant” (i.e. babysitter) for him before we even got a month into the season. 
Will Hackett be the fall guy for Russell Wilson’s deplorable play? Is Hackett the reason for Wilson’s deplorable play? It should be entertaining  for the rest of the NFL to watch that play out, but absolutely infuriating for Bronco fans. I’m sure most of us here can relate to our teams having high expectations, but hitting the floor before November. Sorry it happened to you this year. 

On a side note - I’m very bummed Javonte Williams got injured. 

We have made this mistake several times already, I don't understand how the offensive coordinator for the 2019-2021 packers (aka, letting Aaron Rodgers and Matt LaFleur call the plays) would be a better coach in their eyes than Brian Flores who is a great head coach and can make our defense even better than it already is. 

I believe Hackett is a lost cause and there is absolutely no sign of improvement whatsoever. He needs to go, I wholeheartedly believe a good coach will make this team a contender. 

Also I was very sad to see javonte go, I cant wait for him to return. 

But besides the negatives I am proud of our defense, they are killing it out there

15 minutes ago, acasser said:

What this suggests to me is that coaching is a lot more about having the right personnel and a lot less about having X's and O's that you can dance to.  That while there's some value in what a coach does, he's still largely a reflection of the personnel around him.

There's a reason Matt Patricia acting like Bill belichick doesn't work and Bill belichick works. I feel a lot of coordinators try to mimic what they see head coaches do without understanding the respect and the hard work behind managing a football team

• Like 1

Jets reportedly picked up James Robinson from the Jaguars.  As someone who has Travis Etienne in FF, this is great news.

I also like how every fanbase seems to think injuries only happen to them.  It is football, injuries (often season-ending ones) unfortunately happen all the time.  If your team hasn’t lost a few starters for an extended period of time at this point, then you are pretty fortunate. 

Edited by djb5f

On 10/24/2022 at 9:56 PM, djb5f said:

I also like how every fanbase seems to think injuries only happen to them.  It is football, injuries (often season-ending ones) unfortunately happen all the time.  If your team hasn’t lost a few starters for an extended period of time at this point, then you are pretty fortunate. 

Eh, my complaints are as much about several decades of Jets' fandom as it is anything else.  It's a coping mechanism, because the Jets don't abide prosperity very well and they've never done much of anything in my lifetime.  Every time it looks like things are going well, the other shoe drops, so why should this season be any different?

The Jets were great in 1982, but then came the strike wiping out half the season and the Dolphins deliberately leaving their field uncovered during a monsoon just prior to the AFC Championship Game to ensure the Jets couldn't run the ball.  Or in 1986 when the Jets started 10-1 and the only game they won the rest of the way was the AFC Wild Card.  (And then blowing a 10-point 4th quarter lead the next week because of a ticky-tack Roughing the Passer call.)  Or in 1999 when they were set up to win the AFC after John Elway retired only for Vinny Testaverde to get knocked out for the season in the first quarter of the first game.  Or the back-to-back AFC Championship Game appearances under Rex Ryan followed by the Butt Fumble.  Putting themselves in a "win and you're in" game against a woeful Buffalo franchise during Todd Bowles' first season only to lay an egg against that same Rex Ryan.

Et cetera.

Just this season, the Jets have had four different players who were (at the time) starting at Right Tackle go onto Injured Reserve.  We're barely one-third of the way through the NFL season.  Even for an injury-prone sport, it almost seems like somebody has a very active voodoo doll working here.

9 hours ago, MidnightDragon said:

If you had told me in August the Bucs would be 3-5, I would've thought you were out of your mind. On the bright side, better than most of the other TNF games.

Low bar to jump, but it was a pretty good game. 

I feel bad for Brady, seeing him suffer in the twilight of his career...

...oh, who am I fooling? I hope it continues to pile on for the rest of the season.

5 hours ago, starcrunch061 said:

Low bar to jump, but it was a pretty good game. 

I feel bad for Brady, seeing him suffer in the twilight of his career...

...oh, who am I fooling? I hope it continues to pile on for the rest of the season.

Well, he's divorced now, so maybe that'll make him worth a damn now...though I wouldn't mind it.

Yea, it was a low bar to jump, but it still was one of the better ones.

That division sucks so much, I still think Tampa has to be the favorite to win it and host a playoff game.  Even if it happens with them at 7-10.  Despite Tom Brady being 850 years old and suffering from rigormortis, despite Tampa having one of the worst Head Coaches in the 21st century, et cetera, et cetera, et cetera.

Though I can't say I blame him for wanting to get away from that shrieking harpy of a (soon to be ex) wife of his.

So Falcons leading NFC South, who saw that, crazy finish to that game, Carolina gonna rue it

Pathetic award of the day goes to the hapless Raiders who did nothing and were atrocious as they were shut out 24-0 to the Saints

So How bout tha NFC East, Eagles unbeaten, Cowboys 6-2 with dominant 49 points on the Bears, Giants 6-2 and Commanders with a thrilling win with 22  seconds left are 4-4

the Geno Smith train rolls on as they handle the Giants

Derrick Henry with another 200yrd rush game, he jus loves playing the Texans

Vikings move to 6-1 with 8 point win over the Cardinals and extend there division lead

Bills keep showing they best in AFC handling the Packers who drop now to 3-5 by 10 points

Congrats to Belicheck who moves to 2nd on the wins list following there win over the Jets, they just keep having thee number, helps when Zach Wilson has a poor game with 3 picks

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Conker said:

Vikings move to 6-1 with 8 point win over the Cardinals and extend there division lead

Congrats to Belicheck who moves to 2nd on the wins list following there win over the Jets, they just keep having thee number, helps when Zach Wilson has a poor game with 3 picks

Someone in the local media said the Vikings haven’t played a complete game yet. And that is absolutely true. We are hanging onto leads, squeaking out wins, letting teams back into games. And it’s somehow turned into 6-1. It appears they will win the division with all the dumpster fires in the NFC Central - and it’s not even November yet. But I still have little confidence in this team when the playoffs roll around. 

A thank you to Kyler Murray for throwing some horrendous picks yesterday. Some Reddit user figured out his stats plummet when it’s a double XP weekend in Call of Duty! That is hilarious!! Then I saw the highlights of Pats-Jets game and even Kyler Murray could make fun of Zach Wilson for those three INT’s. High school QBs get benched for crap like that. 

Nobody should be that surprised that the Jets got spanked yesterday, actual final score aside.  They went back to doing all of the stupid shit that has been losing them games for a while now:

• Zach Wilson with craptacular decision making, e.g., the 2nd pick where he should have sailed the ball over the heads of the guys on the bench instead of merely trying to hit the white area?  Yup.
  • Zach Wilson with craptacular mechanics, constantly throwing off his back foot or in other ways where he doesn't step into a pass and follow through?  Thus constantly being off-target with his throws?  Yup.
  • Zach Wilson focusing far too much on a small number of receivers and letting the others languish out there playing with themselves?  (24 of 34 passes classified as close enough to a receiver to be a target going to three guys; no wonder Denzel Mims and Elijah Moore are complaining to reporters about being unused in this offense.)  Yup.
  • Terrible, imbalanced playcalling?  44 called pass plays (attempts + sacks + QB scrambles for positive yards) vs. 14 runs?  I know losing Breece Hall was a big hit, but try and run the football even if it's just to set up some play-action.
  • Completely unnecessary "roughing the passer" penalty on the defense, once again John Franklin-Myers?  It only wiped out a defensive TD that would have made it 17-3, maybe would have gotten Mac Jones pulled from the game for good measure.  And would have allowed the Jets to settle into a smashmouth second half the way they beat Denver and Green Bay and Miami.

Zach Wilson isn't going to get benched for this.  It wouldn't do a whole lot of good, because Joe Flacco is a statue who can accumulate stats but not win football games and Mike White is a scrub who turned back into a pumpkin after everybody figured out what he did to Cincinnati.  Wilson needs to be better, but it's a team effort that lost them this game.

32 minutes ago, PerryToxteth said:

Pains me to now have to cheer for TJ Hokenson. He’s an upgrade at TE, but I loathe every single Hawkeye that ever wore the hideous black and gold. The grudge is because of my in-laws.

I'm still scratching my head over Brad trading Hockenson to a divisional rival of all places. A 2nd and 3rd are decent offerings for a guy coming up on contract but this still boggles my mind. But this is basically the front office waving the white flag for all intent and purpose and getting any draft capital they can find it

As for Thursday Eagles did enough to go to 8-0 fending on a gutty Texans team for the 12 point win, the big play of the game was the bad panic throw by Mills leading to the pick from then on Eagles controlled the rest of the game. And don't you just hate Analytics, that last 4th down Eagles converterd to run out clock was just so stupid, why go for it  and risk failing and giving Texans any chance, just punt it away

so Ryan Tannehill is a game time decision sunday night, if he don't play then there imo is no way a Malik Willis lead team is beating the Chiefs and no way the same gameplan that worked against the Texans is working.

On 11/5/2022 at 0:35 AM, Conker said:

As for Thursday Eagles did enough to go to 8-0 fending on a gutty Texans team for the 12 point win, the big play of the game was the bad panic throw by Mills leading to the pick from then on Eagles controlled the rest of the game. And don't you just hate Analytics, that last 4th down Eagles converterd to run out clock was just so stupid, why go for it  and risk failing and giving Texans any chance, just punt it away

so Ryan Tannehill is a game time decision sunday night, if he don't play then there imo is no way a Malik Willis lead team is beating the Chiefs and no way the same gameplan that worked against the Texans is working.

Titans had the same formula.  Only 5 completions and none to wideouts and unbelievably, they nearly won it.  Chiefs pull it out in OT.

25 minutes ago, djb5f said:

Titans had the same formula.  Only 5 completions and none to wideouts and unbelievably, they nearly won it.  Chiefs pull it out in OT.

Nearly but dreadful play calling before OT and in OT, Willis just can't throw it atm and in OT they could've ran with Henry and did not and look how disastarous it went

Raiders Disaster of a season continues, Blowing a 17-0 lead to lose to the Jags

Jets continue to impress with a amazing defense showing and enough offense to defeat the Bills 20-17

Packers season gets worse going into Detroit and losing 16-9 with Rodgers throwing 3 redzone pics, there season and playoff chances are falling apart, Division is done with Vikings now 7-1

Edited by Conker
  • Like 1