National Football League Thread

cmgravekeeper

I'm sure that fucking predator will end up starting. The coaches made it pretty clear they would as soon as they could and they didn’t pay him that much to sit on his hands.

Also, Broncos are all kinds of fucked up. They have been for a while, but this is something else. 

Edited by MidnightDragon
  • Like 1

Alright Rams, Seattle's month of way over-performing is done.  They're back to giving up 200+ rushing yards a game, not being able to even slightly pressure a QB let-alone sack him and endless confusion is causing busted coverages left and right (now I remember why I lost faith in Carroll, he's supposed to be a "defensive guru" but year after year Seattle's defense is talked about as being "historical"... and not in a good way anymore) .  Now's your chance to do what you do and take the Seahawks down so you can move back ahead of Denver and get Seattle back into the 3rd overall pick.  Please don't blow it and let the Seahawks win.

10 hours ago, Matto_lsi said:

Jets win big.  Mike White had himself a game!  Even more impressive considering the heavy rain all game.

That was Mike White's "Cincinnati moment" from last season.  Everybody remembers how he threw for 400+ yards and 3 TDs and conveniently forgets the two interceptions that game that put the Jets in an early hole they only dug out of when Joe Burrow responded to a Jets TD by throwing a pick the very next play deep in his own territory.  Or conveniently forgets the rest of Mike White's season:  a relief appearance against New England where the offense did nothing and White threw two picks, a start four days after Cincy in Indianapolis where he got injured in the 1st quarter, a start ten days after that in Buffalo where he threw four interceptions and got pulled, or the game the next week in Miami when the Jets started Joe Flacco instead.

Let's be honest here:  Chicago is a bad team to begin with, they were down their starting QB and two starting DBs and lost a third early in the game.  The Vikings won't be that level of pushover, and the Bills after them have to be licking their chops.  White does certain things well, but teams that watch the videotape will find the adjustments to limit what he does.  There's a reason why White has been a journeyman backup.

I still think Zack Wilson will be back under center by the middle of December.

On 11/28/2022 at 9:19 AM, acasser said:

I still think Zack Wilson will be back under center by the middle of December.

I wouldn't be so sure. Jets are making an example out of Wilson and all things considered I'd be surprised if he'll continue to be a jet after this season

Some observations from Sunday

Eagles still are one the best teams with there easy win, Titans aren't a contender at all and won't go far in playoffs

Cowboys show they still one the best finishing a gutsy Colts team easily in the 4th qtr, a Colts team that the Eagles almost lost too 

Chargers are Underachieving again, Stayis in trouble if they don't make playoffs with this team,Raiders finally playing as we thought but will it be too late 

Steelers win agaih , Could Tomlin really get another winning season?

Rodgers Still owns the Bears xD 

Commanders Giants was as tight as i thought it be as is there wild card battle and so was the game with a fitting 20-20 tie thx to a late Taylor Henickie drive, Imagine where they could be if he had started the whole season  and not Wentz

t

Ravens lose Lamar and still find a way to win with a late td, depending on how long he's out could determine if they still win North,or make playoffs as a wildcard. Broncos somehow with that in there advantage still do nothing and lose, Russ was poor as was the whole offense,season can't end fast enough 

Lions making the late wildcard push? they completly dominated a hapless Jags team,putting up 40 and Punting not one time, 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, majob said:

I wouldn't be so sure. Jets are making an example out of Wilson and all things considered I'd be surprised if he'll continue to be a jet after this season

Mike White put up some numbers, but couldn’t make the key throws in the red zone (1-6), or on third downs (3-16). That being said, he still looked better than Kirk yesterday who was OFF. Throws he has made a thousand times in his career, he was missing by 5 yards. Once again, Vikings escape with a win with last-minute theatrics. Entertaining, fun to win, but a recipe for failure in the playoffs. Jets coaching staff also gave Vikes a free FG at end of first half by going for a 4th-and-2. And for all the games I’ve attended over the decades, I’ve never seen a 60-yard FG until yesterday. And that would’ve been good from 70!
Jets looked solid yesterday. O line handled the MN pass rush remarkably well. If Breece Hall, was healthy, he would’ve put up big numbers yesterday with Vikings two-hand touch approach to tackling. @acasser, these aren’t the same old Jets. You might not make the playoffs this year, but the future looks bright! 
  Always fun to go to games vs. team you only see once every 8 years and see all the old jerseys come out. Only player jerseys on current roster sited in US Bank stands - Zack Wilson and Sauce Gardner. Most popular jersey - Curtis Martin and Wayne Chrebet (xD). Bunch of old forgotten QBs including Neil O’Donnell, Vinny, Chad Pennington and Filthy Sanchez. 

Most hilarious jersey I spotted yesterday- Matt Moore! 

10 hours ago, majob said:

The players like him better than Wilson, and that's a big point in Mike White's favor.  But White is a very limited quarterback, and Buffalo is probably going to expose that next week the same way they exposed Mike White last year.  (White was 24-44 for 251 yards and 4 INTs that day and got benched in the 4th quarter.)  White was somewhat fortunate, because he could have had another pick in the 1st quarter that probably would have had Robert Saleh thinking about Joe Flacco.

Zach Wilson isn't going anywhere; the salary cap is one big reason for that to happen, the lack of a trade market in the offseason for him will be another -- too many quarterbacks will be available.  Plus this regime is married to Wilson in ways they were never married to Sam Darnold; if they give up on him this off-season it's going to raise a lot of questions that they won't want to answer.

And if Mike White has a terrible game in Buffalo like I fear is going to happen, there will be a very real possibility that Zach Wilson starts against Detroit (at home) on the 18th and Jacksonville on the 22nd.

9 hours ago, Zio_Sam87 said:

Some "expert" writers are ruling out Niners from contenders due to Mr. irrelevant at helm, while others are suggesting to claim Garbage Mayfield... I hope Lynch and Shanny are smart enough to keep him as far as possible from the building.

Honestly, with the roster the 9ers have it doesn't seem like it much matters who's QB'ing.  If they can either hand it off to McCaffrey, pitch it back to Deebo or throw it 5 yards in the middle of the field to Kittle that's all you need, they'll do the rest while the defense makes sure it barely matters how much the offense scores. 

Edited by skidmarkgn

8 hours ago, Zio_Sam87 said:

Some "expert" writers are ruling out Niners from contenders due to Mr. irrelevant at helm, while others are suggesting to claim Garbage Mayfield... I hope Lynch and Shanny are smart enough to keep him as far as possible from the building.

thats so dumb,49ers are still have great offense weapons and a great defense and did they watch Brock Purdy on Sunday, he actually looked decent, i for one defintly ain't rulling the 49ers out, these experts dumb

9 hours ago, Zio_Sam87 said:

It’s likely Baker won’t even be available for Niners.  Teams worse than them get first shot at him. Someone can rent a former No. 1 pick for 1/3 season for cheap. Basically, a free tryout with no strings attached for next year.

23 hours ago, Zio_Sam87 said:

I don't rule them out, but getting a rookie QB up to speed this late in the season with playoff hopes on the line is a tall order.  Purdy did well enough to get the win, but Miami had seen absolutely Zero tape on him.  The same will not be said for their upcoming opponents.  I was really excited to see Brady and Jimmy G go head to head this weekend, but with Jimmy hurt and Brady likely going back into retirement this off-season, it'll probably never happen now.

However, with the news today that Jimmy doesn't need surgery after-all, it's possible he can make a return for the playoffs.  What that means is anyone's guess, as no one has a clue how Jimmy will be able to perform in late January coming off an injury, or how Purdy will be performing over the next month or two.  But of the Niners 5 remaining games, 3-4 of them are definitely winnable, even with an untested rookie in as starting QB.  It comes down to whether or not they can play as a team on both sides of the ball, which I think they can.  The biggest hurdle is that 2 of their remaining opponents are vying for playoff spots in the NFC, and there's 3 teams only 1 game back from the Niners, including the Hawks.  If the Hawks beat them in 2 weeks and win just 1 more game than they do of the remaining 5, the Niners would have to get in as a wildcard.  And with the Cowboys almost assuredly locking up the 1st wildcard spot, that means that the Niners will have to stay ahead of the Giants or ol' skins.  Luckily they play each other again, plus Was play the Cowboys and the Giants play the Eagles twice before the end of the year, so that's all good news.  The Niners playing Was on Christmas Eve though could be tough.  A loss there would be devastating to any playoff hopes, especially if they lose to either the Bucs or Hawks (or both) the next 2 weeks.  And it's not like the Raiders and Cards are just gonna roll over for them.  With nothing else to play for in January, they'll probably relish the thought of playing spoiler to the Niners playoff dreams.  It's gonna be an interesting month of football...

Purdy was good enough for the W, yet I'm worried he wasted all the TO to prevent delays of game (but at the same time was smarter than past QBs that took the flag)... Glad Mayfield stays far from SF! I don't get Rams move though... They really took him to prevent Niners (they still suffer from missed CMC trade)? Or aren't satisfied about 9 losses and wanted some more? They don't even have first round pick so why help others get better draft spot? ?

Well who knew only being with a team 48hrs was enough to play well and lead them to a 98yrd game winning td drive, because thats exactly what Baker Mayfield did tonight agains the Raiders to surely almost destroy any playoff hopes and show the other teams who didn't want him,he still has it in. So Happy for him

First of all, really sad about Samuel... There must be some curse about all these injuries on the 49ers. Great win against TB12 by the way! I know two games is a small sample (hence is the same sample Lance had) but I'm wondering if mortgagin' all that picks two years ago was a smart move when the very last pick of the draft is playing so good. On to the Purdy train for now!

• Like 1

Somethings from Sunday

Brock Purdy looked good again as did the whol 49ers, just hop Deebo isn't badly injured

Eagles Continue there dominance

Seahawks and Giants are stating to regresh this year and with both having tough schedules home they both have big chances of missing the playoffs

Carolina Pantheers might now be favs for NFC South? they control there fate, there gameplan and run game seems unstopabble combined with how Dreadful the Bucs continue to look. Also Steve Wilks should be given the head job now

Bills,Chiefs and Bengals continue to look like the top 3 in the AFC, the Bills fought of a tough Jets team in tough conditions,, Chiefs got sloppy and hate to hold off and Bronco comeback to win,in a game they really should've won easy and the Bengals easily handled a Browns team that looks awful with Watson at qb

Lions look like a playoff team winning again and Goff playing great again and with a easier schedule then the rest, keep playing like they are and it won't be a dream but be reality.

Dolphins are plumetting with a 2nd loss in a row and another dreadful offense showing, lose Saturday to Buffalo, the Concern will grow to could they fall out and miss the playoffs

Titans are awful and dropping and holding onto division by 2 games and best be careful or otherwise the Suddenly Hot Jags with Trevor Lawrence showing us why he was the top qb, could steal this division from them if they aren't careful/turn this around

Also Prps to How the Texans played and fought against the Cowboys eventhough they just lost, was really good to see from the worst team this year 

• Like 1

The New York Jets would like to introduce everybody to the world's Newest Superhero:  Captain Checkdown!  (Secret identity:  Mike White.)  Here's what you need to know about the guy before the inevitable movie, merchandising, et cetera.  His secret power is the ability to find the short dump-off to a Running Back or Tight End for a minimal completion on third-and-long.  His "kryptonite" is the Red Zone; when his team desperately needs seven points, he'll get you three (or sometimes zero for variety's sake).  Everybody loves him, from his looks to hsi moxie to how much his teammates seem to enjoy his quarterbacking, but other than padding stats he doesn't really produce very much of what really counts.

(Zach Wilson has started seven games this season and the Jets won five of them; Joe Flacco and Mike White started a combined six games and the Jets won two, one of which required an epic Cleveland Browns collapse for the ages.)

The Bills put on a clinic yesterday as to how one completely inhibits Captain Checkdown.  He doesn't react well to pressure because he can't escape the pocket and make plays with his legs.  He doesn't have much arm strength -- relative to what one expects out of an NFL quarterback -- so the deep ball isn't a thing with him; this allows teams to crowd the line of scrimmage and shut down the run game, which in turn squelches the play action game.  (And when the Jets' OC goes back to not using all those gadget running plays with the WRs, they're too predictable even if they have a sound run/pass balance, which they did not yesterday.)  They have difficulties on third-and-long because Mike White is so quick to get rid of the football and settle for completions that are well short of the sticks.

A defense that gets physical with his Wide Receivers and starts jamming them at the line of scrimmage will flummox him entirely because that will throw off the timing he's depending upon.

For the sake of the Jets, I hope that there's a diagnosis that White has cracked ribs or something and can't play again this season.  Because that's probably the only way a Jets' team that still has a chance to make the playoffs goes back to Zach Wilson without a locker room mutiny, and I strongly believe that White isn't going to get them anywhere near the playoffs.  And the Jets have two games coming up in the next ten days that are pretty close to "must win" if they want to somehow get to the 7th seed.

4 hours ago, Conker said:

Carolina Pantheers might now be favs for NFC South? they control there fate, there gameplan and run game seems unstopabble combined with how Dreadful the Bucs continue to look. Also Steve Wilks should be given the head job now

Panthers were just the latest addition to the list of teams that put up 200+ rushing yards against Seattle's ABYSMAL run defense.  It's been a huge weakness all season but no one really noticed it until the Buccs (who were averaging a league worst 60 rush yards a game at that point) put up 200+ against them, every game since their opponents have run all over them.

On another note, Houston... WHY!!!!  You had it!!  They win that game and Seattle's only a game out of having the #1 overall pick.

On 12/12/2022 at 8:23 AM, acasser said:

The New York Jets would like to introduce everybody to the world's Newest Superhero:  Captain Checkdown!  (Secret identity:  Mike White.)  

Sorry, Kirk Cousins already trademarked that nickname years ago. But maybe White can take Cousins’ Cousin as a nickname. :P

But agree, White is making safe decisions. But that approach doesn’t work in 3rd-and-long situations, and in the Red Zone. 

On 12/11/2022 at 11:14 PM, Zio_Sam87 said:

First of all, really sad about Samuel... There must be some curse about all these injuries on the 49ers. Great win against TB12 by the way! I know two games is a small sample (hence is the same sample Lance had) but I'm wondering if mortgagin' all that picks two years ago was a smart move when the very last pick of the draft is playing so good. On to the Purdy train for now!

It's not just Samuel, there were other injuries too.  And I don't know if it's just for cautionary purposes, but both CMC and Purdy are listed on yesterdays injury report :/

In regards to Purdy's play, I definitely saw some areas he could improve, but the guy was great to watch, executed properly, and did a lot of nice things.  His pocket timing is absolutely amazing for a rookie.  So many times he was arms reach from a sack and just felt the pressure and either took off or moved out of the pocket.  Most guys would just end up taking the sack.  Like you said, 2 games is a small sample size, but his 2 are far better than the ones I saw of Lance, who played in a bunch of games last season, started 2, and got all the priority coaching and reps this off-season, yet still looked just as abysmal as I expected up until his injury.  But the fact that Purdy got none of that and has come out looking the way he does highlights even further just how bad of a terrible call it was to trade up for Lance.  Imagine what they could have got instead with all those picks?  Ugh...

So when I posted last week I did not expect the Hawks to lose to the Panthers.  Since the Niners trounced the Bucs (good, never liked Brady), and the Hawks lost, the Niners can capture the division on Thursday if they beat the Hawks in Seattle.  Which, of course, is always a tall order, but even harder if all these injuries slow guys down or keep them from playing.  But if they do win, the reward is being able to rest EVERYBODY for 4.5 weeks before the first round of the playoffs.  Not a bad incentive, if they can pull off a win.  But beating the Hawks in Seattle in December has proven to be the Niners white whale.  Have they done it?  Sure.  But a quick glance at this list shows how it's usually not in the cards for them.  One of those results, specifically I want to highlight is Dec 23, 2012.  For anyone who doesn't remember (and why would you?, lol), this was the last time the 49ers played Brady (and won) the week before playing the Hawks in Seattle in December with playoff positioning on the line, and the result of that game was the Niners getting destroyed 42 to 13.  Come Thursday I'll be hoping for a much better result.

1 hour ago, Matto_lsi said:

It's not just Samuel, there were other injuries too.  And I don't know if it's just for cautionary purposes, but both CMC and Purdy are listed on yesterdays injury report :/

In regards to Purdy's play, I definitely saw some areas he could improve, but the guy was great to watch, executed properly, and did a lot of nice things.  His pocket timing is absolutely amazing for a rookie.  So many times he was arms reach from a sack and just felt the pressure and either took off or moved out of the pocket.  Most guys would just end up taking the sack.  Like you said, 2 games is a small sample size, but his 2 are far better than the ones I saw of Lance, who played in a bunch of games last season, started 2, and got all the priority coaching and reps this off-season, yet still looked just as abysmal as I expected up until his injury.  But the fact that Purdy got none of that and has come out looking the way he does highlights even further just how bad of a terrible call it was to trade up for Lance.  Imagine what they could have got instead with all those picks?  Ugh...

So when I posted last week I did not expect the Hawks to lose to the Panthers.  Since the Niners trounced the Bucs (good, never liked Brady), and the Hawks lost, the Niners can capture the division on Thursday if they beat the Hawks in Seattle.  Which, of course, is always a tall order, but even harder if all these injuries slow guys down or keep them from playing.  But if they do win, the reward is being able to rest EVERYBODY for 4.5 weeks before the first round of the playoffs.  Not a bad incentive, if they can pull off a win.  But beating the Hawks in Seattle in December has proven to be the Niners white whale.  Have they done it?  Sure.  But a quick glance at this list shows how it's usually not in the cards for them.  One of those results, specifically I want to highlight is Dec 23, 2012.  For anyone who doesn't remember (and why would you?, lol), this was the last time the 49ers played Brady (and won) the week before playing the Hawks in Seattle in December with playoff positioning on the line, and the result of that game was the Niners getting destroyed 42 to 13.  Come Thursday I'll be hoping for a much better result.

The only chance I see Seattle having is if they stack 7+ players in the box to HOPEFULLY keep McCaffery under 250 all-purpose yards, put Woolen (the one bright spot on defense) on Aiyuk and pray he and Kittle have an off day... and that's just on defense. 

Then Seattle has to somehow manage to put up points against San Fran's incredible run defense, most likely without Walker and possibly Dallas, and when Seattle's run game doesn't work, nothing works, because Carroll doesn't think of anything other than run-the-ball-run-the-ball-run-the-ball.  I'm honestly hoping Seattle can just pull off not getting humiliated at home in this one.