National Football League Thread

cmgravekeeper

9 hours ago, Matto_lsi said:

It's not just Samuel, there were other injuries too.  And I don't know if it's just for cautionary purposes, but both CMC and Purdy are listed on yesterdays injury report :/

In regards to Purdy's play, I definitely saw some areas he could improve, but the guy was great to watch, executed properly, and did a lot of nice things.  His pocket timing is absolutely amazing for a rookie.  So many times he was arms reach from a sack and just felt the pressure and either took off or moved out of the pocket.  Most guys would just end up taking the sack.  Like you said, 2 games is a small sample size, but his 2 are far better than the ones I saw of Lance, who played in a bunch of games last season, started 2, and got all the priority coaching and reps this off-season, yet still looked just as abysmal as I expected up until his injury.  But the fact that Purdy got none of that and has come out looking the way he does highlights even further just how bad of a terrible call it was to trade up for Lance.  Imagine what they could have got instead with all those picks?  Ugh...

So when I posted last week I did not expect the Hawks to lose to the Panthers.  Since the Niners trounced the Bucs (good, never liked Brady), and the Hawks lost, the Niners can capture the division on Thursday if they beat the Hawks in Seattle.  Which, of course, is always a tall order, but even harder if all these injuries slow guys down or keep them from playing.  But if they do win, the reward is being able to rest EVERYBODY for 4.5 weeks before the first round of the playoffs.  Not a bad incentive, if they can pull off a win.  But beating the Hawks in Seattle in December has proven to be the Niners white whale.  Have they done it?  Sure.  But a quick glance at this list shows how it's usually not in the cards for them.  One of those results, specifically I want to highlight is Dec 23, 2012.  For anyone who doesn't remember (and why would you?, lol), this was the last time the 49ers played Brady (and won) the week before playing the Hawks in Seattle in December with playoff positioning on the line, and the result of that game was the Niners getting destroyed 42 to 13.  Come Thursday I'll be hoping for a much better result.

As of today both are tagged as questionable, so I hope they will play tomorrow... Going with JJ would be very very hard. I'm not quite sure about resting all in case of a W cause I can see vikings drop 2 games and gaining a spot could be useful... Better think one game at a time

On 12/13/2022 at 10:11 AM, PerryToxteth said:

Sorry, Kirk Cousins already trademarked that nickname years ago. But maybe White can take Cousins’ Cousin as a nickname. :P

I'm following the example of modern "entertainment".  Where all sorts of franchises -- movies, television, comic books, et cetera -- "reboot" and retcon their universes all the time.  So why can't we memory hole Kirk Cousins holding that moniker and hand it down to the newest incarnation?  Especially now that the newest incarnation has a much pluckier "origin story" as opposed to the established (and very well paid) veteran?  ?

• Like 1

On 12/14/2022 at 4:56 AM, Zio_Sam87 said:

As of today both are tagged as questionable, so I hope they will play tomorrow... Going with JJ would be very very hard. I'm not quite sure about resting all in case of a W cause I can see vikings drop 2 games and gaining a spot could be useful... Better think one game at a time

I was thinking that too, but the only real difference I see is if the Niners and Vikings win, where they play, though they'll be playing each other either way.  I guess a home game is better than an away game, but not sure that will matter much if that's the playoff matchup.  And if the Vikings lose, then the Niners get a home game either way and it would be against the same opponent regardless of if they were 2nd or 3rd seed.  So in the end, there's maybe 4 or 5 different scenarios that would play out in the divisional round of the playoffs, and the only difference between all of them is - if both Vikings and Niners win in the wildcard round - who would host their playoff matchup.  Of course, that means Niners would still have to reach the playoffs and would have to win their first game.  The only reason I see them resting guys if they win today is cause their 1st and 2nd string QBs are out with injury, their #1 wideout is out with injury, their #1 RB is questionable, and a lot of their guys are banged up.  If the backups get hurt in throwaway games now and the starters can't get back in time for the first round, then the Niners are one and done in the playoffs.  I feel like it's much better to play it safe and make sure guys like Purdy, CMC, Kittle, etc... are all as healthy as they can be for the playoffs.

Alright Matto and Zio, if you still had reservations about these teams being anywhere close to the same level you can rest easy now.  I still have to complain a bit though, because if Brady was tackled out of bounds the same exact way Geno was it would have been a 99 yard penalty, ejection of everyone within 10 yards and 50-70 million dollar fine.  Beyond that though, 9ers are just leagues better in every way.

5 hours ago, skidmarkgn said:

Alright Matto and Zio, if you still had reservations about these teams being anywhere close to the same level you can rest easy now.  I still have to complain a bit though, because if Brady was tackled out of bounds the same exact way Geno was it would have been a 99 yard penalty, ejection of everyone within 10 yards and 50-70 million dollar fine.  Beyond that though, 9ers are just leagues better in every way.

The rules announcer guy on TNF (can't remember his name) said that was legal cause the tackle began in bounds.  Honestly, on that play, if Geno had just stepped out, I think he would have drawn the flag, but he initiated contact on the sidelines and then stepped out.  But the way they kept calling phantom penalties on the Niners all night, I was shocked when that one wasn't called.  I mean seriously, nullifying a pick 6 cause of a roughing call that was a soft tackle?  Just red shirt QBs already and get it over with.  I will never know what is and isn't a penalty as long as they keep pulling this shit.  I truly felt like fuckface goodell told the refs before the game to make sure it stayed close and competitive so fans in other markets would watch.  There's really no other explanation for all the obscenely bad calls.  And if Diggs had picked off Purdy like he should have - can't believe he missed that - Hawks would have won.  That would have been a 14 point swing.  Seems the Niners will always have above average QBs who throw the most god awful passes at the exact wrong time.  Purdy just got lucky tonight.  Jimmy usually has those ones picked off.

9 hours ago, Matto_lsi said:

The rules announcer guy on TNF (can't remember his name) said that was legal cause the tackle began in bounds.  Honestly, on that play, if Geno had just stepped out, I think he would have drawn the flag, but he initiated contact on the sidelines and then stepped out.  But the way they kept calling phantom penalties on the Niners all night, I was shocked when that one wasn't called.  I mean seriously, nullifying a pick 6 cause of a roughing call that was a soft tackle?  Just red shirt QBs already and get it over with.  I will never know what is and isn't a penalty as long as they keep pulling this shit.  I truly felt like fuckface goodell told the refs before the game to make sure it stayed close and competitive so fans in other markets would watch.  There's really no other explanation for all the obscenely bad calls.  And if Diggs had picked off Purdy like he should have - can't believe he missed that - Hawks would have won.  That would have been a 14 point swing.  Seems the Niners will always have above average QBs who throw the most god awful passes at the exact wrong time.  Purdy just got lucky tonight.  Jimmy usually has those ones picked off.

Yeah I'm not arguing they got the call wrong, it's just annoying that certain players get treated differently because of the name on the back of their jersey.  And if you think the QB coddling is bad now, I've been hearing that adding an ejection to the penalty is going to be considered.

8 hours ago, skidmarkgn said:

Yeah I'm not arguing they got the call wrong, it's just annoying that certain players get treated differently because of the name on the back of their jersey.  And if you think the QB coddling is bad now, I've been hearing that adding an ejection to the penalty is going to be considered.

Oh, I agree entirely.  The refball in general is just stupidly bad.  I would add 'this year', but it's been stupidly bad for years.  It just really pisses me off when it's my team getting the bad calls.  But I certainly notice it when watching other games, too.  I was so annoyed last night that I went searching on the internet for others who shared my disdain for that Bosa roughing call, and ending up finding numerous forums and threads talking about that one play, specifically.  One of the reddit threads contained a majority of posts from fans of all teams speculating the same thing I did, that the refs were trying to keep the game competitive so viewers wouldn't tune out at halftime.  I think the only solution going forward is robo-refs.  I'm sure Amazon or Google could program something that could ref games in real time and apply rules evenly and aptly.  Well, more so than the humans who do it now, anyway.  Have the NFL use their full time rules analyst guy (still can't remember his name) to explain the calls that need explaining during breaks, halftime, and after the game.  But otherwise switch to AI.  It's time.  And it really can't be any worse than what we already have.  If nothing else, it'll be consistent.

Edited by Matto_lsi

13 hours ago, Matto_lsi said:

Oh, I agree entirely.  The refball in general is just stupidly bad.  I would add 'this year', but it's been stupidly bad for years.  It just really pisses me off when it's my team getting the bad calls.  But I certainly notice it when watching other games, too.  I was so annoyed last night that I went searching on the internet for others who shared my disdain for that Bosa roughing call, and ending up finding numerous forums and threads talking about that one play, specifically.  One of the reddit threads contained a majority of posts from fans of all teams speculating the same thing I did, that the refs were trying to keep the game competitive so viewers wouldn't tune out at halftime.  I think the only solution going forward is robo-refs.  I'm sure Amazon or Google could program something that could ref games in real time and apply rules evenly and aptly.  Well, more so than the humans who do it now, anyway.  Have the NFL use their full time rules analyst guy (still can't remember his name) to explain the calls that need explaining during breaks, halftime, and after the game.  But otherwise switch to AI.  It's time.  And it really can't be any worse than what we already have.  If nothing else, it'll be consistent.

I will defend the refs on that one. That is a flag because that is the rule. You cannot come down with your weight on the QB. Now, is it a terrible rule? ABSOLUTELY! But the referee is there to flag rule infractions, and as the rule is currently written, that warrants a flag. Even if you could challenge that play, it would still stand bc that is the rule. I will say, fans bitching might be a good thing bc then maybe they will finally throw out this stupid rule, which was started by the Whining Champion of the NFL, Aaron Rodgers. 

The conspiracy about keeping the game is close is absurd. Essentially, the Umpire, who is looking in the backfield at the QB hit, somehow knows that Smith’s pass is going to get intercepted downfield and then returned for a TD??? Really? Was the Ump on a grassy knoll as well?

• Like 1

7 hours ago, PerryToxteth said:

I will defend the refs on that one. That is a flag because that is the rule. You cannot come down with your weight on the QB. Now, is it a terrible rule? ABSOLUTELY! But the referee is there to flag rule infractions, and as the rule is currently written, that warrants a flag. Even if you could challenge that play, it would still stand bc that is the rule. I will say, fans bitching might be a good thing bc then maybe they will finally throw out this stupid rule, which was started by the Whining Champion of the NFL, Aaron Rodgers. 

The conspiracy about keeping the game is close is absurd. Essentially, the Umpire, who is looking in the backfield at the QB hit, somehow knows that Smith’s pass is going to get intercepted downfield and then returned for a TD??? Really? Was the Ump on a grassy knoll as well?

This is another one of those rules that is up to interpretation or misinterpretation.  Rule 12, Section 2, Article 11, point b spells it out, and it's obviously meant for a defender driving the QB into the ground with all his weight under him, not tackling him back into his own lineman and falling down with him.  Even if Bosa could have initially re-positioned himself or become a wizard and learned to levitate on the way down, falling first into the lineman changed their trajectory.  You're free to disagree, but I watched Matt Milano drive Mike White into the ground, eyes down and leading with the crown of his helmet and no flag.  Meanwhile Bosa gingerly tackled Smith as he was releasing the ball and got a flag that changed the course of the game, making it much closer than it should have been.  Considering they were letting Ward and Metcalf beat the crap out of each other and then called this is just suspect to me.  At the very least I'd call it all inconsistent.  

And in the replay you can see he doesn't throw the flag until Lenoir is already back past the 20 with the ball on his way to the endzone, so assuming his eyes were open, yes he knows Smith's pass was already intercepted.  And if you think refs don't purposely affect games, just google Tim Donaghy.  While he was an NBA ref, he also admitted to knowing a lot of other refs who did the same thing.  It's not far fetched to think refs make calls to produce outcomes they want, it's actually a known fact.

10 minutes ago, grimydawg___ said:

The Indianapolis Falcons

Matt Ryan doing his thing (no help from the OC’s though.  Run the ball: shorten the game).

Pretty amazing that the Vikings are 11-3 with a total season point difference of only +2.  Same as the 6-7 Detroit Lions. Similar profiles in that both have good offenses and terrible defenses.  

Credit to the Vikings for somehow squeaking out all the close ones but hard to see them beating any of the NFC Heavyweights in the playoffs (Eagles, Cowboys, 49ers).

Edited by djb5f

2 hours ago, Matto_lsi said:

And in the replay you can see he doesn't throw the flag until Lenoir is already back past the 20 with the ball on his way to the endzone, so assuming his eyes were open, yes he knows Smith's pass was already intercepted.  And if you think refs don't purposely affect games, just google Tim Donaghy.  While he was an NBA ref, he also admitted to knowing a lot of other refs who did the same thing.  It's not far fetched to think refs make calls to produce outcomes they want, it's actually a known fact.

I fully recant everything positive I’ve said of officiating. Vikings have lost 3 F’ing TD’s in the last two weeks to bad whistles. THREE!!

That was the Vikings 1,000th game as a franchise. And one for the ages - Largest comeback in NFL history! Of course, I remember very well the Bills - Oilers playoff game in the 90s. My college roommate was a huge Oiler fan and it was quite the sight to watch him melt as his team froze up in Buffalo that day. 
 It would’ve been perfect if Frank Reich was still coaching the Colts today and he was part of both of those games. 

Edited by PerryToxteth
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, PerryToxteth said:

I fully recant everything positive I’ve said of officiating. Vikings have lost 3 F’ing TD’s in the last two weeks to bad whistles. THREE!!

That was the Vikings 1,000th game as a franchise. And one for the ages - Largest comeback in NFL history! Of course, I remember very well the Bills - Oilers playoff game in the 90s. My college roommate was a huge Oiler fan and it was quite the sight to watch him melt as his team froze up in Buffalo that day. 
 It would’ve been perfect if Frank Reich was still coaching the Colts today and he was part of both of those games. 

Dude, the calls in that game were atrocious.  How did they miss the clear fumble which was run back for a TD?  And the spots.  So many 3rd down spots were WAY off.  Like by a full yard or more.  On a non-ref note, can't believe Indy threw that game away.  Granted, most of their points came off the defense and special teams, but with a 33 point lead you almost have to try to lose.  Amazing comeback by the Vikings.  Especially considering they had to score the final touchdown twice in the last 5 minutes to even the score.

• Like 1

We don’t have NFL Network, but have NFL+, so was able to watch all games on a tablet.

The Colts/Vikings game was nuts. The Colts deserved the loss for going 33-0 and being unable to close the deal.

Didn’t watch Ravens/Browns because fuck Deshaun Watson.

Edited by MidnightDragon
  • Like 2

That was a great Saturday NFL Network Tripleheader

Colts leading 33-0 and losing to the Vikings in OT, and now having the largest comeback win Matt Ryan with another huge blown lead oh boy xD 

]Browns and Ravens in a defense game with Browns winning 13-3, in a game where Tucker missed and had a fg blocked. Today showed the Ravens must pay Lamar Jackson

Bills and Dolphins playing a game of the year contender in a hard fought back and forth game espcially in the 2nd half , even with the snow coming in the 4th qtr, with the Bills winning on a 25yrd fg to clinch there playoff spot and the Dolphins losing there 3rd in a row

It really feels like no one who could make the playoffs is in a hurry to do so, or even wants to.  Panthers and Falcons, one game back from the Bucs, both lose.  So what do the Bucs do with an opportunity to go 2 games up on all 3 of their division rivals? Lose as well.  Jets still hoping for a wildcard spot lose to Detroit.  Cowboys, who could have locked up a wildcard spot today, lose to the Jags.  Speaking of which, a Titans win would have put them 2 games up on the Jags with only 3 games left, including a head to head in Jax.  So what do the Titans do?  Lose to the Chargers.  Pats need a win to keep their playoff hopes alive, so of course lose to the already out Raiders. 

Then there's the 'barely's.  Chiefs barely beat the hapless 1 win Texans, in OT no less, to win their division.  The Eagles barely beat the spiraling Bears to do the same.  The Bills barely beat the Dolphins to also do the same.  Vikings barely beat the Colts in fairy tale fashion to, once again, do the same.  All 4 division winners barely scraped by either producing record comebacks or eeking by in OT.  Bengals win counts as a barely, as well.  It looks decent on paper, but they sucked for most of the game and if it wasn't for all the Bucs turnovers deep in their own end, Cin probably would have lost.  I feel like tonights game is gonna be a contest of hot potato to see who wants it less, the Giants or Was.  I predict 4 turnovers... each.  (not really, but I wouldn't be surprised)

Just now, Matto_lsi said:

snip

This year in general is really underwhelming. Many teams are fielding practice squad replacements and many of the teams with winning records are simply punching above their weight like the Giants and no offense to accassr and skid, the Jets and Seahawks. The entire Titans offense is Derek Henry, Eagles are the best team in the league, but they don't look that great to me. They play down to their opponents often and the offense boils down to Hurts either running or throwing to Brown. Bills defense masquerades as bend, don't break but usually just break and Allen has a knack for saving defeat from the jaws of victory with his frequent mistakes.

Wow Just wow is all i gotta sat about that Pats Raiders ending, what idiotic way to lose it, why in a tie game with OT coming do you lateral, just stunning. This is the loss that destroys and ends your playoff chances and can we have a Raiders Pats game without something controversial, like the Keelan Cole TD today.

Jags From 17 down find a way to get a OT win against the Cowboys,Trevor Lawrence is playing great and what great ability from this team to win, imo they will win the AFC South, Cowboys you can't be turnoving it over/wasting chances to kill it and now you have the Eagles. 

What in the w9orld happened Bucs in the 3rd qtr and beyond? you look great at ht with a 17-3 lead and then you just keep turning it over and looking absymal as you give up 34 unanswred, a absolutely dreadful 2nd half on a day where you had prime oppurtunity to stake a bigger division lead.

Frankly nobody wants the NFC South, Panthers lose to Steelers, Tomlin still alive for non losing season and Falcons botch a oppurtunity to win late losing to the Saints who need the most help to even get the division.

Props again to the 1 win Texans for another great effort in a loss this time against the Chiefs, wasn't pretty Chiefs but a win is a win however you get it

Chargers continue to look hot and dangerous finding the big plays late to defeat the Titans, Herbert with some clutch late throws, Titans with a struggle again albeit for Derrick Henry,Week 18 is looming ever so larger now for them

Bengals continue too look like on the most dangerous AFC teams, how they turned it on in one half after looking poor was amazing, this time still has a great shot at the 1 seed, tha MNF game vs the Bills looms so big 

Giants gain a huge advantage in the wild card race with the hard fought 12-20 win over the Commanders thx to some huge defensieve plays and aswell as a dreadful no pi call,they get closer to ending there 6 year drought, Commanders still remain a wildcard team but that loss hurts and even more when they have to go to face the 49ers on the road and when the  Lions keep winning 

Lions hang on in the Meadowlands agains the Jets with a huge td on 4th and inches and a Jets missed Field Goal at end, though Saleh what are you doing with your Clock management late???

in the game no one watched or cared that the Broncos won by 9, Kingsbury shows his idioticness again going for 2 down 9..... and guess what they got the ball back late, just moronic 

Edited by Conker
  • Like 2

The officiating in NFL has gotten pretty bad, but the refs in college are worse, at least in the PAC-12. It's like they try to keep the games closer with terrible calls. In one game, they would flag almost any time the wide receiver and defender were slapping each other for PI, where they usually allow fairly to a point in the NFL. It got so bad, I remember the commentator saying "are we playing futbol or football here"?

On 12/18/2022 at 5:11 PM, majob said:

This year in general is really underwhelming. Many teams are fielding practice squad replacements and many of the teams with winning records are simply punching above their weight like the Giants and no offense to accassr and skid, the Jets and Seahawks. The entire Titans offense is Derek Henry, Eagles are the best team in the league, but they don't look that great to me. They play down to their opponents often and the offense boils down to Hurts either running or throwing to Brown. Bills defense masquerades as bend, don't break but usually just break and Allen has a knack for saving defeat from the jaws of victory with his frequent mistakes.

None taken at all, lol.  I've said a few times on this thread that the little streak they had mid-season was exactly that, and it sucks because they could have had a pseudo dream draft (although they have a horrific record with first and second rounder over the last handful of years, so we'll see)  if it hadn't happened.

Also, not related to your comment, but I'll chime in on the officiating,  Commies/Giants says it all.  One is a big market NFC East Cinderella story fighting for a playoff spot, the other is an NFC East team with myriad of problems above the field that have become a stain on the league's image.  Look at how it ended.  A receiver literally asked a ref if he was in position TWICE, and was given a thumbs up, only to have a TD taken away after the same damn ref immediately threw a flag on the player whose position he approved seconds before, followed by the most horrendous no call I've personally seen this season.  Some might call me crazy but that went from just being innocently "bad" officiating to straight up suspicious.

Edited by skidmarkgn
  • Like 1