National Football League Thread

cmgravekeeper

2 hours ago, majob said:

To be fair, the circumstances surrounding the cancelation are understandable and even paying fans recognize that. If it were any other case this would be an issue to ponder but not this time

I don't understand why can't they postpone the PO and play that game next week or something else. AFC seeding have been deeply redesigned, and it's not only the 1 seed (and bills lost twice here, a player health and the seed itself) but also all the wild card matchups changed.

12 hours ago, majob said:

To be fair, the circumstances surrounding the cancelation are understandable and even paying fans recognize that. If it were any other case this would be an issue to ponder but not this time

You know there will be people out there demanding refunds and suing if they don't get them.  Because they didn't receive the product/service they paid good money for or anything closely approximating such.  Yes, there's a "better excuse than most" behind it, but I believe the law would be with the aggrieved fans unless there's a really well-worded waiver of liability with ticket sales.

There generally isn't room to sue based on which players do or do not play, and that's true across all sports.  But it's a different story when the NFL game is cancelled after less than 10 minutes of action; it's not even like a baseball game that gets rained out after five innings and counts.  That the NFL effectively "cancelled" the game insofar as the standings goes is probably ammunition for any lawyer worth the diploma on his wall.

7 hours ago, Conker said:

For there Finale agains the Dolphins, the Jets are starting Joe Flacco with Zach Wilson as backup, as Mike White reaggrivated the rib injury https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/35391827/source-jets-start-joe-flacco-qb-season-finale

I don't know what the over/under on Dolphins' sacks is, but I'd bet the over.  Because the Dolphins are going to blitz him to death, especially in a situation where a win probably gets them into the Playoffs.  (They also need a Patriots loss, and I figure Buffalo will take care of that part.)

38 minutes ago, acasser said:

You know there will be people out there demanding refunds and suing if they don't get them.  Because they didn't receive the product/service they paid good money for or anything closely approximating such.  Yes, there's a "better excuse than most" behind it, but I believe the law would be with the aggrieved fans unless there's a really well-worded waiver of liability with ticket sales.

There generally isn't room to sue based on which players do or do not play, and that's true across all sports.  But it's a different story when the NFL game is cancelled after less than 10 minutes of action; it's not even like a baseball game that gets rained out after five innings and counts.  That the NFL effectively "cancelled" the game insofar as the standings goes is probably ammunition for any lawyer worth the diploma on his wall.

I made this point (not on this forum) immediately after the fact and people said I was heartless for even thinking about it.  I told them that I guaranteed in a weeks time the story would no longer be about Hamlin's health and it would be about the money.  The NFL's money, the network/broadcast money, the fans money for tickets, Vegas/bettors money, the players money for not playing one of their games, etc...  I also think the NFL's decision to cancel the game was a big F U to these 2 teams for not wanting to go back out and play 5 minutes after watching one of their teammates essentially die on the field and barely be brought back to life.  I can't blame them for not wanting to play, but the NFL is a business.  Everyone was saying that it's just a game and life is more important, but a multi-billion dollar a year business like the NFL always puts the money first.  Since the Bills and Bengals have the most to lose if they don't play this game, I think the NFL is essentially punishing them.

Anyway, regarding refunds for tickets, it's already a thing: https://spectrumnews1.com/oh/columbus/news/2023/01/06/bengals-outline-refund-policy-for-canceled-bills-game

Also, regarding bets in Vegas, almost all bets have been cancelled (essentially refunded): https://www.wlwt.com/article/sports-betting-and-ticket-refunds-after-bengals-bills-game/42412275

6 hours ago, MidnightDragon said:

Maybe make a backup plan in case this happens again...but hope it doesn't.

Once you get this deep into the season, the only realistic "plan" would have been to push the playoffs back by a week, using the additional week built into the schedule between the scheduled Conference Championship games and the scheduled Super Bowl, and thus to give everybody an additional week off after Week 18.  And that's much more trouble than it's worth for a game that doesn't impact who gets into the playoffs but only juggles the seeding a little bit.

Earlier in the season?  The NFL would have jumbled things, having had some experience in doing so during the previous couple of seasons when COVID threw everything into the mixer.  And ten years ago, they would have threatened the players with a forfeit, maybe even a "double forfeit" where both teams got tagged with a loss, if they didn't resume the game on the spot.  But they've allowed the players too much latitude to do almost whatever they want in the past seven years (or so) and that authority is like a muscle; having atrophied, said muscle is weak and not good for very much anymore.

Something will come up in when they negotiate the next CBA to cover this issue, but nothing is likely to happen until then.  Because any "ad hoc" changes require affirmative consent from the NFLPA to be put into place and I just can't see the Players agreeing to much of anything.  They don't like Roger Goodell, they don't like the League Office, and they're high on their own perceived power and authority.  Even though increasing swaths of their "adoring public" are starting to tune them out.

I'm actually kind of hoping Seattle loses and definitely hoping Green Bay loses today.  I'd honestly prefer to see Detroit make it over Seattle, especially knowing the Seahawks went 0-4 against the freaking NFC South this year (which begs the question, does Brady have psychic abilities that tell him when a division is going to be garbage?), that alone should be an automatic elimination from the playoffs.

Edited by skidmarkgn

I sincerely hate when the League makes Lions/Packers a national primetime game because the Lions always seem to get fucked over when they play the Packers in primetime. But it's highly likely they just want to put the spotlight on their golden boy Rodgers if he happens to win and go to the playoffs. I can already see the narratives they'll spin  and analysts were favoring the Packers since their win against the Vikings

Edited by majob

Well, at least this season is over for us woeful Jets fans.  It probably ended the way it ought to have ended, but I'm still annoyed with an officiating crew that I feel adjudicated things (at the end) as if they wanted to be anywhere but at that game.  I'm used to the Jets getting flagged for questionable judgment personal fouls on defense, what with umpteen "roughing the passer" calls the past few years that have swung major momentum in games when the Jets otherwise would be getting off the field.

Today?  It was a (to me) very questionable "personal foul / horse collar tackle" flagged on LB Quincy Williams with about two minutes to play in a tie game.  On a play where Williams grabbed the ball carrier by the back of the jersey down around the nameplate.  Turning what would ahve been 3rd-and-long into "congratulations, Dolphins, you're in field goal range and can run out the clock!"

It's probably better for the Jets and their draft position and off-season plans that they lost and did so in the fashion they did -- namely, a completely inept offense that was allowed to hang around in the game because of defense and special teams.  (Even if the defense couldn't touch whoever the Miami QB was and couldn't force a turnover for the 931st consecutive game.)  But I'd love it if the rules were enforced the same way on everybody and if the Jets would stop getting flags thrown for all this borderline judgmental shit that never goes their way.  Because if what Quincy Williams did there was a penalty, we might as well go all the way and put all the offensive guys in tutus already.  Or maybe just not allow anybody to play defense or tackle.  At all.

Was all ready to be happy about Seattle ending the season with a winning record and finishing with a season sweep of L.A.  Gotta say though, if watching the Seahawks get throttled by San Fran again is the price required for seeing Detroit knock out Green Bay in their own house, I'll happily pay it.  Nicely done Lions.

Crazy night game.

Refs tried to help the Pack, but WTF was Rasual Douglas and Quay Walker doing? Seriously, WTF were they doing???

Never in my my life have I seen a defensive player swat the hike away from the center (while being offsides). And never in my life have I seen a player push a member of the opponents’ coaching staff. Oh wait, we did see that - by the same F’ing player! :dunno:Quay Walker should now be called Cray Cray Walker. 
 That’s three consecutive season-ending losses in Lambeau for Green Bay. How sweet it would be if Rodgers’ last pass in Lambeau is that god awful, prayer off his back foot, game on the line, embarrassing toss that Joseph gleefully picked off. 

Thank you Detroit! :yay::yay:

3 hours ago, acasser said:

Neither 7th seed belongs in the Playoffs.  But they're there because "money", I guess?

Wholeheartedly agree, however on the NFC side the #'s 3-7 are almost all, at best questionable. 

#3- Vikings: Deserving-ish (IMO) the second luckiest team in the conference, SO many fluke wins.

#4 - Buccs: Least deserving team in the playoffs.  Brady's career should be defined by the putrid divisions he's feasted on over the years.

#5 - Cowboys: Deserving.  Had some terrible losses but overall one of the best teams in the NFC

#6 - Giants: Questionable.  Beat a bunch of bad teams, lost to the good ones, snuck in.

#7 - Seahawks.  Not deserving.  Bad defense, mediocre offense, had a streak in the middle of the season that let them sneak in, 0-4 against the NFC South.

Edited by skidmarkgn

I don't remember an entire quarter being garbage time like yesterday, niners secured the game halfway the third... I watched the OT between Rams-Seahawks 'cause I thought I could go to sleep knowing next opponent only to realize that a W wasn't enough for Seattle... oh boy. Glad that GB lost a game everyone thought they could win.

Meanwhile, Kliff Overrated Kingsbury is out of Arizona months after being signed to extension, big LOL

15 minutes ago, MidnightDragon said:

I don’t think the Texans should’ve fired Lovie. It wasn’t his fault. He should’ve been given another year. They were making progress. However, with current management and ownership, no saving this team.

It's extremely rare for a coach with that bad of a record to get another chance regardless of the circumstances and to top it off he cost the team their spot at number 1 in the draft. Probably as an final F you to the team

1 hour ago, majob said:

It's extremely rare for a coach with that bad of a record to get another chance regardless of the circumstances and to top it off he cost the team their spot at number 1 in the draft. Probably as an final F you to the team

Yea, I get it, but wasn’t really him.

7 hours ago, MidnightDragon said:

I don’t think the Texans should’ve fired Lovie. It wasn’t his fault. He should’ve been given another year. They were making progress. However, with current management and ownership, no saving this team.

Well.... management and ownership down there are a complete catastrophe.  But Lovie Smith's reputation is defense, and Houston's defense wasn't just terrible this season but regressed badly from the year before.

The Texans may as well be starting over with one of the top QB prospects, anyhow; may as well bring in an offensive-minded guy to try and coach him up because Lovie Smith isn't ever going to adequately do that.