National Football League Thread

cmgravekeeper

Lol, this is gonna happen all year.  I personally don't like the Pats, I don't just think they cheat, I know they cheat, and so far the lack of punishment for it has been appalling.  I think that's why the punishment for Deflategate was so hefty, despite it being at best a fine for the parties involved.  I did love the 4-game suspension, just to watch cry baby Brady sit out a few games, but with the judge's ruling, that probably won't happen.  Ironically though, the agreement between the NFL and the NFLPA specifically states that the arbitrator will have full power to make decisions, and everyone signed it.  Even though the may not like the ruling, technically the only legal basis a judge has for overturning it is if a heinous crime has either gone unpunished or an innocent party has been punished.  What this means is if someone is blatantly guilty of something like murder, then a judge can legally overturn an arbitrator.  Missing a few games of football and a few extra bucks to add your already excessive millions doesn't fall into the same category.  So yeah, Deflategate was overblown, and I'm sure Brady is guilty of being a douche, as usual, and the punishment was surely excessive.... however, Goodell, like it or not, like him or not (I sure don't), was well within his rights as Commissioner to punish Brady as he saw fit for the act of cheating he determined Brady had committed.  I think his legal appeal to the judge's ruling has significant legal merit, but who knows what, if anything will come of it.  I was hoping karma would step in and the Steelers would take him down a peg, but I guess luck will always be on his side, and all we get is the great opening day act of 2008.  The irony is that with Tuck Rule, Spygate, Deflategate, and now what, Headsetgate? the Pats are going to be under the microscope by just about everybody for the foreseeable future.  Whether you're a fan or theirs or not, get ready for a steady stream of alligations, no matter how silly they might be.

Maybe the Dolphins don't beat a good team the way they seemed to play today, but they were playing the Washington Redskins after all.  It's almost the NFL equivalent of Auburn playing Jacksonville State or something like that.

I don't follow college ball but I'll take your word for it. :P

I'm sure even floridians were watching the game in amazement though lol.

Lol, this is gonna happen all year.  I personally don't like the Pats, I don't just think they cheat, I know they cheat, and so far the lack of punishment for it has been appalling.  I think that's why the punishment for Deflategate was so hefty, despite it being at best a fine for the parties involved.  I did love the 4-game suspension, just to watch cry baby Brady sit out a few games, but with the judge's ruling, that probably won't happen.  Ironically though, the agreement between the NFL and the NFLPA specifically states that the arbitrator will have full power to make decisions, and everyone signed it.  Even though the may not like the ruling, technically the only legal basis a judge has for overturning it is if a heinous crime has either gone unpunished or an innocent party has been punished.  What this means is if someone is blatantly guilty of something like murder, then a judge can legally overturn an arbitrator.  Missing a few games of football and a few extra bucks to add your already excessive millions doesn't fall into the same category.  So yeah, Deflategate was overblown, and I'm sure Brady is guilty of being a douche, as usual, and the punishment was surely excessive.... however, Goodell, like it or not, like him or not (I sure don't), was well within his rights as Commissioner to punish Brady as he saw fit for the act of cheating he determined Brady had committed.  I think his legal appeal to the judge's ruling has significant legal merit, but who knows what, if anything will come of it.  I was hoping karma would step in and the Steelers would take him down a peg, but I guess luck will always be on his side, and all we get is the great opening day act of 2008.  The irony is that with Tuck Rule, Spygate, Deflategate, and now what, Headsetgate? the Pats are going to be under the microscope by just about everybody for the foreseeable future.  Whether you're a fan or theirs or not, get ready for a steady stream of alligations, no matter how silly they might be.

In the interest of making things easier to read I'm putting everything in spoilers :P

I don't like any one team more than the other honestly. I only "root" for the pats for 2 reasons. 1) Oddly enough any friends I made in florida all came from new york and it irritates them to no end lmfao. 2) It pisses regular fans off even more because hurr-durr hop on the hate wagon. I'd rather spend my time despising players like Suh than Brady.

I'm not naive enough (not saying you are btw) to think that the pats are the only team in the league to have cheated so I don't share everyone's "only the pats" mentality that I see in other places. Since the earliest days of sports people have cheated. It's just what happens. Anyone who thinks otherwise is just trolling. It's actually the perfect time for any team to do something now due to all eyes, including Sauron's, focusing on the Pats. 

Idk much about the contracts signed and all that other stuff. Don't really care about it. Personally I wouldn't allow someone like Goodell to be in charge of anything if he's just going to punish people to make sure the pitchfork and torch mobs don't throw hissy fits. The only thing I care about when watching is that the games are good, and that the refs know how to do their jobs. (idr what year exactly it was but they had these replacement refs...my god...)

Personally though I'm loving the allegations being thrown and am going to laugh at every single one of them this season. Hell, when legitimate proof is actually shown about the pats (or any single player) actually cheating I'm going to laugh at them too. Anyone willing to jeopardize that kind of money for a win needs to be asking "you want cheese on your burger sir?" 

I will say the Steelers had a good chance at winning. They pissed it away though no matter how anyone looks at it. I like watching the Steelers play, but that game was bad on both sides and mostly I'm chalking it up to first game jitters and needing to feel comfortable in games that actually matter. (meaning not pre-season)

EDIT:

Wow...Cowboys really pulled that one off huh? I know some NY friends that are steaming right now.  :devil:

Giants tried at the end though. Personally I think a long bomb probably would have worked better...I don't think I've actually seen tossing the ball around work.

Edited by Avatar_Of_Battle

I'd rather spend my time despising players like Suh[...]

I can agree with you 100% that Suh is a POS and should have been booted from the league years ago.  He's a dirty player, just dangerous, and for all the wrong reasons in a sport like this.  Someday he'll break somebody's leg by 'accidentally' jumping on it after a play, that player will sue and win, and then and only then will the league finally boot him.  Of course they'll lose millions of dollars in the process, but it amazes me that ultimately that's what it'll take to get them to do anything about him.

• Like 2

Just what was Tom Coughlin thinking?!?!? Playing not to lose?!? What a choke!  :facepalm:

Go for the win! Be aggressive! A field goal gets you nothing! (At best it gets you OT, on the road).

Bill Parcells would have gone for it every time. Looks like the New York Giants have supplanted the Dallas Cowboys as the NFC East choke team.

Damn good thing my hard earned cash was on the Cowboys.......or I'd really be upset.......and I hate betting for the Cowboys (being a long-time 49er fan). 

I can agree with you 100% that Suh is a POS and should have been booted from the league years ago.  He's a dirty player, just dangerous, and for all the wrong reasons in a sport like this.  Someday he'll break somebody's leg by 'accidentally' jumping on it after a play, that player will sue and win, and then and only then will the league finally boot him.  Of course they'll lose millions of dollars in the process, but it amazes me that ultimately that's what it'll take to get them to do anything about him.

Seems like the only way to get anything done is through outrageous actions and court rooms. :P

Even tonight I believe there were multiple instances of people playing physically dirty on the field and they won't get nearly as much hatred as someone who..."deflated a ball"...

:lol:

Just what was Tom Coughlin thinking?!?!? Playing not to lose?!? What a choke!  :facepalm:

Go for the win! Be aggressive! A field goal gets you nothing! (At best it gets you OT, on the road).

There's certainly a meritorious case to be made to foist blame on Tom Coughlin and Eli Manning, both of whom screwed up -- Coughlin with his playcall, Manning by throwing the ball away instead of taking a sack to let the clock keep running, and both guys took turns in their postgame press conferences playing the martyr -- but let's put the blame where it really belongs here:  the defense.

At some point, the defense has to step up and make a play.  They didn't, and that's the reason the Giants blew that lead last night.  The Cowboys pretty much did anything they wanted to on that last drive when all it really would have taken was one play to shut everything down and seal the win.

@skidmarkgn:  Could you please teach me how to react when one's favorite team's defense forces a turnover?  (Your defense seems to be a good role model even if they didn't show it today.)  After last season, I've plumb forgot how to react because the Jets defense couldn't steal candy from a baby.  Fun Fact:  The Jets scored 20 points off of opposition turnovers all of last season.... and 21 today off all of Johnny Manziel's gifts.

It's all about balance.  The turnovers are sweet for sure but then we have to watch an offense that starts a drive first and goal on the 9 yard line.  False start, first and goal from the 14.  O-line breaks down and Wilson's sacked, second and goal from the 21.  False start, second and goal from the 26.  Lynch runs for 5 but there's an offensive holding call, second and goal from the 36.  Wilson's sacked again, 4th and goal from the 44. Punt  :facepalm:  So, I guess the best way to react to it would be a finger twirl followed by cautious optimism and, in the end, disappointment.

Just watched the Monday Night Countdown show and I have one more thing I need to get off my chest.  They put Wilson's "1-0" tweet on their C'mon Man section. I've also seen a lot of not-Seahawk fans going on and on about the arrogance and blah blah blah of it.  "1-0" wasn't a cocky prediction and anyone who has spent any amount of time listening to any member of the Hawks roster speak knows that the term "1-0" is a team philosophy.  It means the only thing that matters is the game and hand and the only goal is to go "1-0" every week.  If they start 0-2 after the first 2 games, let it go and focus on going "1-0" next week.  If they blow out the next two opponents, let it go and focus on going "1-0" next week.  That's what the damn tweet meant, it meant that distractions like not having Kam don't matter, being in a stadium that they've only won once in the last 4 tries doesn't matter, anything other than going "1-0" doesn't matter and it's time to go to work.  I can understand the average fan not knowing about it because most people don't pay much attention to a team that isn't "theirs" but the analysts on the Countdown show should look in the mirror for their next C'mon man segment after that ignorance was put on display.

Edited by skidmarkgn

Watched the 49ers bash the Vikings around the field, glad they won and good to see Jarryd Hayne debut even though he dropped the ball lol.

Though I have to say I hate all the standing around and time wasting. More action, come on. Hence why I'll stick to only watching 49ers games and watch League for my footy fix.

Love it, one whole week in the books and my fellow Seahawks fans are all finding a bridge to jump off while the 49ers fans are planning their Superbowl parade.  Lots of weeks yet to come.

I personally don't have as high of hopes as the last couple of years for the Hawks but I still think they're a talented enough team to get to the playoffs.  From there, who knows.  Any team at any time could look much different when that time rolls around, the injury bug is ever-present (just look at last year's Cardinals for proof) and always ready to claim it's newest victims... Muahahahahaha!!

So a interesting week 1, here's just a few things

Steelers forget to cover GRONK, like how?

Giants lose somehow

Ravens lose Suggs for the year

Bills in Rex's first game look great

Mariota has 4td's in his debut, whilst Winston looked so-so

P.s Chiefs WR's got 0 TD's so the drought continues :P

Also after shaky start good few things done by Aussie Hayne, keep at it :)

Man what a game for my 49ers... Half the game all I thought was: "Damn we're still here, excellent defense but poor offense with stupid penalties"... What the hell was that FG blocked?!

Hopefully near the end of 1st half Hyde stunned everyone with that awesome spin move for a touchdown... Being onestly there's a lot to work yet, but a W is a W!

I felt sorry for Hayne and it's first ball in the NFL fumbled, but hey, even Winston got intercepted his first throw, so who cares? Stay focused and work hard!

Love it, one whole week in the books and my fellow Seahawks fans are all finding a bridge to jump off while the 49ers fans are planning their Superbowl parade.  Lots of weeks yet to come.

What fun would it be if virtually everyone didn't overreact?  Or judge things without any context, such as how certain players/teams usually perform in certain situations that came up in Week One?

Sure, everyone ignore that Russell Wilson and the Seahawks routinely struggle in St. Louis.  Sure, play up that the NFL's most petulant player has his mommy calling for the firing of an offensive co-ordinator, because we all know that Ma Lynch is the world-class expert in such things.

Sure, everyone ignore that Adrian Peterson has never done very well against a San Francisco defense and the guy who coached the defensive Front 7 in past years is now running the entire operation.  And ignore that the 49ers still lost a ton of defensive talent and might not perform so well when they have to face an offense that's a little more polished than Minnesota.

Sure, everyone pretend that the Colts are "DOOMED!" based on one loss.  (Actually, they might be -- the Colts of the last three years are largely a fabrication of a weak division and are slightly above .500 outside it.)  Or that Marcus Mariota is the second coming of Andrew Luck.  (Let's be fair: the Titans played the one team that had a worse record than them last year.)

If we're all going to hilariously over-react to Week One, why bother playing Weeks 2-17?

What fun would it be if virtually everyone didn't overreact?  Or judge things without any context, such as how certain players/teams usually perform in certain situations that came up in Week One?

Sure, everyone ignore that Russell Wilson and the Seahawks routinely struggle in St. Louis.  Sure, play up that the NFL's most petulant player has his mommy calling for the firing of an offensive co-ordinator, because we all know that Ma Lynch is the world-class expert in such things.

Sure, everyone ignore that Adrian Peterson has never done very well against a San Francisco defense and the guy who coached the defensive Front 7 in past years is now running the entire operation.  And ignore that the 49ers still lost a ton of defensive talent and might not perform so well when they have to face an offense that's a little more polished than Minnesota.

Sure, everyone pretend that the Colts are "DOOMED!" based on one loss.  (Actually, they might be -- the Colts of the last three years are largely a fabrication of a weak division and are slightly above .500 outside it.)  Or that Marcus Mariota is the second coming of Andrew Luck.  (Let's be fair: the Titans played the one team that had a worse record than them last year.)

If we're all going to hilariously over-react to Week One, why bother playing Weeks 2-17?

Speaking of taking things out of context, if Mariota is the second coming of Andrew Luck I assume you mean he'll be another prime example of mediocrity in the NFL.

Kam's giving him a run for his money right now.

Bottom line for the Hawks, they're not as good without #31 but they have my personal support with the way they're handling the situation he's presenting.  Yeah, it's gonna cost them some games, and I don't have as much confidence in the upcoming Green Bay game as I did during last year's opener specifically because Kam's not there, but there's no way they should give in to him.  If they do, they may as well just pay Michael Bennett right now because even though he's showing up every day and putting in the work, he's not happy with his $$ right now either.  Oh yeah, after they pay Bennett, go ahead and call Sherman into the office because he's not the top paid corner in the league anymore, and after paying Sherm, go ahead and call Graham into the office because he wants to be paid as a receiver right?  I'll take Marshawn acting like a douche to the media over Kam stomping his feet and holding his breath any day.

Edited by skidmarkgn

My Week 2 Tips

Chiefs over Broncos

Giants over Falcons

Patriots over Bills

Cardinals over Bears

Bengals over Chargers

Titans over Browns

Lions over Vikings

Rams over Redskins

Saints over Bucs

Steelers over 49ers

Panthers over Texans

Ravens over Raiders

Dolphins over Jags

My Cowboys over Eagles

Packers over Seahawks

Colts over Jets

Man what a beatdown for my 49ers... You can trust this, Steelers aren't Vikings. We played very bad on both side of the football, had an horrible O-Line (the right side suck, and the center can't even hear Kap calling for the snap). Plus, Steelers showed last week had a bad secondary, why the hell we played all that screen passes, short passes, and run-run-run in the 1st half?!?

Without saying that defense hadn't a clue of what to do right: poor pressure on Ben and still beaten with almost all his WR... Bad bad loss  :(