National Football League Thread

cmgravekeeper

Sum of today's games for me

Flags out of the ass.

Love seeing 2 players on the same team collide and fall allowing the guy with the ball to get just that much further lol.

When the play is over...don't be a bitch. Get your ass on the gorram line and start the next play. 

lmfao happy as hell 50 on the seahawks got ejected. Face-masks and overall noobish behavior like that needs to be punished more. 

Couldn't be more disgusted with the Seahawks' "team" right now.  Not because of the 0-2 start, anyone with a functional brain could see that coming, but because all I see is a bunch of individuals on the field who forgot what got them there in the first place.  The "brotherhood" they've preached over the years... gone.  They got their big fat contracts and big fat egos and just like that, no more team, just a bunch of divas who only seem to care about themselves.  Michael Bennett, go ahead and shut your mouth about being unhappy with your contract.  When you give Aaron Rodgers of all people several free plays because you can't keep your dumbass on-sides you don't get to talk anymore, and Kam.  The so-called "leader" of the defense, way to be there for your "brothers".  Any multimillionaire out there complaining about money is pretty pathetic in my eyes and I hope they make him pay every cent of the fines he's accumulated. 

P.S.  Miss you Quinn, and congrats on the great start.

Good win today by my Cowboys but Romo getting injured is gonna be a huge loss, WTF is with Eagles?

I love how everyone laughed at Jerry Jones for saying that Murray was only successful because of Dallas' offensive line. Everyone is eating crow now. -5 rushing yards going into the second half of today's game, 11 yards total for both games as an Eagle. 

Silver lining for Dallas is that McClain and Hardy start in 2 weeks. Also Sean Lee is a goddamn beast. Losing Romo for at least 6 weeks suuuucks though.

I love how everyone laughed at Jerry Jones for saying that Murray was only successful because of Dallas' offensive line. Everyone is eating crow now. -5 rushing yards going into the second half of today's game, 11 yards total for both games as an Eagle. 

Silver lining for Dallas is that McClain and Hardy start in 2 weeks. Also Sean Lee is a goddamn beast. Losing Romo for at least 6 weeks suuuucks though.

Are you sure it's only 6 weeks sites I read are claiming 8 to 12 weeks whelden looked ok after Romo went down but not got faith in him carrying the team that long

I typically make this thread every year and since no one has made one yet, I'll make this one. As a Jets fan I'm excited this year. I'm hoping Geno Smith pulls it together because the rest of the team is on point. Last year couldn't have been worse, especially with the Patriots winning the Superbowl.

I read that portion and started to fall apart lol He got his face broken for $600, a rookie none the less, 6;1 260lbs but still a rook. Some of the milk that i was enjoying slipped out of my mouth when i read this. Maybe im immature or maybe you don't punch your QB.

Go, Brownies

Just putting this out there the Browns are going to break ever at .500 with an increasingly stout D looking to become elite (top 10)

Someone mentioned the bills who literally routed the colts in GM1 but then they got reemed by the patriots. Kind of a small example of thos deflatgate balls not really making a difference. The games both were close but the Bills vs Pats wasn't close seeing as they got 19pts in garbage time.

Are you sure it's only 6 weeks sites I read are claiming 8 to 12 weeks whelden looked ok after Romo went down but not got faith in him carrying the team that long

Dallas declined that it could be that long, they said they are taking it day by day, but they took out the possibility of 12 weeks. And today it was said that Romo doesn't need surgery either. So it will probably be much less than 12 weeks.

The Professor (John Clayton) states it perfectly when it comes to backups.  "Play a backup quarterback for 3 games and he'll win you 3.  Play him 6 games and he'll win you 3."

The Professor (John Clayton) states it perfectly when it comes to backups.  "Play a backup quarterback for 3 games and he'll win you 3.  Play him 6 games and he'll win you 3."

I recall that being a (Bill) Parcells-ism long before John Clayton was a glimmer in a football reporter's eye.

I recall that being a (Bill) Parcells-ism long before John Clayton was a glimmer in a football reporter's eye.

Must have been before my days of football fandom.  None-the-less, the saying is spot on.  By the way, Jets got themselves a turn-over!!  Then they gave one to Indy literally while I was typing that  :facepalm:

Must have been before my days of football fandom.  None-the-less, the saying is spot on.  By the way, Jets got themselves a turn-over!!  Then they gave one to Indy literally while I was typing that  :facepalm:

Fun Fact:  The Jets forced 13 turnovers all of last season and 15 all of the season before.  There's a chance they could top both of those figures by the bye week! (The Jets have an early bye, during Week Five.)

I'm waiting for all of the usual suspects to start singing hosannas about the Jets defense and predict immortality for them, but I'm not on that bandwagon.  There are way too many danger signals going off in this fan's mind for that to work.  At some point, they're not going to force five turnovers per game.  Past that, I can already see the Bill Barnwell column warning that the Jets aren't going to keep recovering every single fumble they're involved with, offense and defense both.

And I know how I'd attack the Jets defense if I were an opposing Offensive Coordinator:  quick throws (slants and screens) to defuse the blitz, attack Antonio Cromartie relentlessly because one can count on him getting torched for a big play or two every single game, and use tight ends in the middle of the field because the Jets still can't stop that particularly well.

It's very pleasing to me that the Jets are 2-0 and that they beat a good team on the road.  But I think their record is as indicative of their true talent and ability as is Seattle's.

Is it true that Byron Maxwell is, going by statistics, the current worst corner in the league?  I know he got absolutely torched against the Cowboys but the worst?  Really?  He needs to realize he's not in Seattle's scheme anymore, I saw a couple of plays where it seemed like he was expecting a heat-seeking Earl to fly in and back him up but those days are gone.  He's in Chip's (gonna start referring to Mr. Kelly as the Kanye "I'm a genius" West of the NFL) scheme now.  I love Byron and seeing him struggle this bad kind of sucks.

By the way Acasser, Giacomini and Carpenter looked pretty good last night.  Even though Breno was (and looks to still be) the king of 15 yard penalties the guys a dog and I wish we still had him.  Carpenter I don't miss as much.  He was given a couple years to develop here and didn't ever really seem to "get it".  Hope he does better over on the Jets so they can continue to be a thorn in the Evil Empire's side.

My NFL Tips Week 3

Giants over Redskins

My Cowboys over Falcons

Bengals over Ravens

Browns over Raiders

Colts over Titans

Steelers over Rams

Vikings over Chargers

Patriots over Jags

Saints over Panthers

Jets over Eagles

Texans over Bucs

Cardinals over 49ers

Dolphins over Bills

Seahawks over Bears

Broncos over Lions

Packers over Chiefs

My NFL Tips Week 3

Giants over Redskins

My Cowboys over Falcons

Bengals over Ravens

Browns over Raiders

Colts over Titans

Steelers over Rams

Vikings over Chargers

Patriots over Jags

Saints over Panthers

Jets over Eagles

Texans over Bucs

Cardinals over 49ers

Dolphins over Bills

Seahawks over Bears

Broncos over Lions

Packers over Chiefs

I agree with all of these predictions except 2.

The first one is with Saints vs Panthers. There is a chance Drew Brees isn't even playing this game. Plus, it wouldn't matter if he did play because he doesn't have any weapons. Listen.. the Saints scored 19 points vs the Buccaneers. Thats something to be ashamed of. The Panthers defense is leaps and bounds ahead of Tampa. I don't see how they could possibly stand a chance. 

The second game is Browns over Raiders. Personally this ones a little less certain for me, but the Raiders have been playing well and Brian Hoyer is starting for the  Browns. I am not sure why after Manziel's good week but he is. This one will be close, but my pick is Raiders. 

Fun Fact:  The Jets forced 13 turnovers all of last season and 15 all of the season before.  There's a chance they could top both of those figures by the bye week! (The Jets have an early bye, during Week Five.)

I'm waiting for all of the usual suspects to start singing hosannas about the Jets defense and predict immortality for them, but I'm not on that bandwagon.  There are way too many danger signals going off in this fan's mind for that to work.  At some point, they're not going to force five turnovers per game.  Past that, I can already see the Bill Barnwell column warning that the Jets aren't going to keep recovering every single fumble they're involved with, offense and defense both.

And I know how I'd attack the Jets defense if I were an opposing Offensive Coordinator:  quick throws (slants and screens) to defuse the blitz, attack Antonio Cromartie relentlessly because one can count on him getting torched for a big play or two every single game, and use tight ends in the middle of the field because the Jets still can't stop that particularly well.

It's very pleasing to me that the Jets are 2-0 and that they beat a good team on the road.  But I think their record is as indicative of their true talent and ability as is Seattle's.

I am no Jets fan, but I can't deny their defense is very good. Im not saying that only because of the two 5 turnover games either. I knew well before the season started that they had a chance to be the best. The Jets have actually always been decent, but their bad quarterbacks have really cost them in recent years. Now with Fitzpatrick, yeah he isn't good, but he is smarter with the ball than say Geno Smith or Mark Sanchez ever was. This is good because instead of throwing two or three interceptions a game and have teams starting in great field position, they now have to go 60-80 yards through a stellar defense. With a man like Darrelle Revis shutting down the opponents best wide receiver, combined with Antonio Cromartie doing good work on the backup receiver, and a very strong front seven I see the Jets as having possibly the most dangerous defense in football overall. I see them feasting on the poor Eagles, even worse than the Colts come Sunday. 

Edited by Lithium_Lemon

I agree with all of these predictions except 2.

The first one is with Saints vs Panthers. There is a chance Drew Brees isn't even playing this game. Plus, it wouldn't matter if he did play because he doesn't have any weapons. Listen.. the Saints scored 19 points vs the Buccaneers. Thats something to be ashamed of. The Panthers defense is leaps and bounds ahead of Tampa. I don't see how they could possibly stand a chance. 

The second game is Browns over Raiders. Personally this ones a little less certain for me, but the Raiders have been playing well and Brian Hoyer is starting for the  Browns. I am not sure why after Manziel's good week but he is. This one will be close, but my pick is Raiders. 

I am no Jets fan, but I can't deny their defense is very good. Im not saying that only because of the two 5 turnover games either. I knew well before the season started that they had a chance to be the best. The Jets have actually always been decent, but their bad quarterbacks have really cost them in recent years. Now with Fitzpatrick, yeah he isn't good, but he is smarter with the ball than say Geno Smith or Mark Sanchez ever was. This is good because instead of throwing two or three interceptions a game and have teams starting in great field position, they now have to go 60-80 yards through a stellar defense. With a man like Darrelle Revis shutting down the opponents best wide receiver, combined with Antonio Cromartie doing good work on the backup receiver, and a very strong front seven I see the Jets as having possibly the most dangerous defense in football overall. I see them feasting on the poor Eagles, even worse than the Colts come Sunday. 

Just one thing Hoyer is on the Texans Roster and Josh McCowan is starting for the Browns :P 

Man this 49ers really suck!  :(

And you know what? They suck starting from theirs coaches!!! OC is calling run run run no matter what: 0-0, 0-14, 0-XX, 7-40 and still running... "This is a passing league" (cit. Madden 15) how the hell could you always run? Gave up a safety too... DC doesn't know what to do, Palmer's receivers are wide open everywhere... And last (and surely least), the HC and his tuna-face says all... He looks like "What am I doing here? Do I know something about football? We are 0-14 after 2 minutes, when does this game finish?"  :devil:

Oh and by mother earth please get rid of that right side O-line, starting from the center (has something like 66% snap wrong)

Edited by Zio_Sam87

Man this 49ers really suck!  :(

And you know what? They suck starting from theirs coaches!!! OC is calling run run run no matter what: 0-0, 0-14, 0-XX, 7-40 and still running... "This is a passing league" (cit. Madden 15) how the hell could you always run? Gave up a safety too... DC doesn't know what to do, Palmer's receivers are wide open everywhere... And last (and surely least), the HC and his tuna-face says all... He looks like "What am I doing here? Do I know something about football? We are 0-14 after 2 minutes, when does this game finish?"  :devil:

Oh and by mother earth please get rid of that right side O-line, starting from the center (has something like 66% snap wrong)

Yeah and people thought the Patriots slaughtering the Jaguars was bad...

I didn't expect the Cardinals to be ripping the 49ers like this.

When it comes to the 3-0 teams it's such a mixed bag right now.

Still not completely sold on the Cards.  Yes, they're contenders, yes the division could be theirs when it's all said and done, but two things are holding me back from being completely sold on them.  One, their opening schedule was really, reeaaally soft.  0-3 Saints, 0-3 Bears, and the 1-2 9ers (who looked pretty bad in their 1 win), not really a murderers row.  Two, Palmer's made of glass.  Yes they're very good when he's there but his track record is so spotty that I would be more surprised if he went a full season than I would if he didn't.  Gonna be very interesting to see which they they go once their schedule toughens up, and they have a tough one for sure after the first few games, and if Palmer can keep himself healthy.

The Bengals, we all know their history.  Kick ass all year in the regular season and pooter out in their 1st playoff game.  Eventually that will have to change but it's tough to expect anything different until it actually happens.

The Panthers, same as the Cards.  Jags, Texans and Saints.  Not too impressive.  

Falcons, I want to believe.  I really do.  Only team I want to be successful more than the Hawks is the Falcons.  I love Quinn and wish nothing but good things for him and his team.  Not sure I'd call them "for reals" yet but the division should be theirs if nothing freakish happens to derail them.

Broncos, tough call.  The defense is stout, offense, not so much.  Could go either way.  EDIT - whoops, didn't realize the Broncos hadn't played yet.

Packers (I'm assuming they'll win tomorrow), best team in the NFC right now.  Sorry Cards fans, Green Bay is the real deal and home field advantage is a very real possibility as long as there's no more injury disasters.

Patriots, ugh, yes, they're legit for 3 reasons.  Brady, Gronk, and cheating *waits to hear the word "hater" 50 thousand times from Pats fans* .  that's a tough 3-headed monster for anyone to overcome.

By the way, loved seeing the Hawks use the same punt return trick play against the Bears that St. Louis got them with last year.  If you can't beat 'em, join 'em... by stealing their ridiculous play they burned you bad with  :D

Edited by skidmarkgn

All I have to say is wow I have never seen a field start to catch on fire from the pyrotechnics,

Julio jones is just one fire this year

Congrats to Tom Brady on throwing his 400th TD

Cards laying great atm, Palmer and lorry Fitzgerald combo just on fire

P.s hope Ben is not badly injured

49ers, Bears and Dolphins absolute horrid performances today

All I have to say is wow I have never seen a field start to catch on fire from the pyrotechnics,

Julio jones is just one fire this year

Congrats to Tom Brady on throwing his 400th TD

Cards laying great atm, Palmer and lorry Fitzgerald combo just on fire

P.s hope Ben is not badly injured

49ers, Bears and Dolphins absolute horrid performances today

I've been saying it since I moved to Pittsburgh that we need a new QB; Ben is getting too old and beat up.  We need a real back up QB, not a we have this guy just so we have someone who can play QB when Ben gets injured.  

After 48 hours to think about it, I've come to the conclusion that Chan Gailey must have had an attack of the "stupids" on Sunday.  I know the battering ram (Chris Ivory) didn't play -- which leads me to question why he was even active for the game -- but to call 61 passes against 14 runs?  I know the Jets dug themselves a ginormous hole in the first half and that impacts the play-calling, but they still could have shown some more patience for what they do well and eased off on the stuff they don't do so well.  Ryan Fitzpatrick should not be asked to drop back that many times and he certainly should not be throwing deep that often.  If the idea to rally the troops was to throw downfield that much, they might as well have put Geno Smith in there because he at least has the arm for it.

Too many coaches/playcallers are too quick to abandon their plans too early in the game because of some adversity.  Sure, the Jets were down 17 at the half, but that meant they had just as much time to rally from that deficit as Philadelphia had to build that lead.

Also, Todd Bowles looks to be terrific when it comes to making halftime adjustments.  They completely shut down Cleveland after the break in Week One, they held Indianapolis in check after the break in Week Two, and Philadelphia did jack-squat after halftime on Sunday.  I'm liking what I see even if the Jets did lay an egg (in general) on Sunday and still haven't ever beaten the Eagles.

Just one more complaint:  I have to forfeit my opportunity to sleep in on Sunday like I do most every other Sunday so I can get up to watch the game from London.  At least it's only a 9:30 AM start time, but Sundays (and most Saturdays) are my opportunity to catch up on sleep since I don't have to work weekends.  So if the Jets lay an egg across the pond, I'll be more cross than usual.

After 48 hours to think about it, I've come to the conclusion that Chan Gailey must have had an attack of the "stupids" on Sunday.  I know the battering ram (Chris Ivory) didn't play -- which leads me to question why he was even active for the game -- but to call 61 passes against 14 runs?  I know the Jets dug themselves a ginormous hole in the first half and that impacts the play-calling, but they still could have shown some more patience for what they do well and eased off on the stuff they don't do so well.  Ryan Fitzpatrick should not be asked to drop back that many times and he certainly should not be throwing deep that often.  If the idea to rally the troops was to throw downfield that much, they might as well have put Geno Smith in there because he at least has the arm for it.

Too many coaches/playcallers are too quick to abandon their plans too early in the game because of some adversity.  Sure, the Jets were down 17 at the half, but that meant they had just as much time to rally from that deficit as Philadelphia had to build that lead.

Also, Todd Bowles looks to be terrific when it comes to making halftime adjustments.  They completely shut down Cleveland after the break in Week One, they held Indianapolis in check after the break in Week Two, and Philadelphia did jack-squat after halftime on Sunday.  I'm liking what I see even if the Jets did lay an egg (in general) on Sunday and still haven't ever beaten the Eagles.

Just one more complaint:  I have to forfeit my opportunity to sleep in on Sunday like I do most every other Sunday so I can get up to watch the game from London.  At least it's only a 9:30 AM start time, but Sundays (and most Saturdays) are my opportunity to catch up on sleep since I don't have to work weekends.  So if the Jets lay an egg across the pond, I'll be more cross than usual.

6:30 AM for us West Coasters  :facepalm:

Yeah and people thought the Patriots slaughtering the Jaguars was bad...

I didn't expect the Cardinals to be ripping the 49ers like this.

As mentioned earlier in the thread, the 49ers are my team (I like others too, for sure, but 9ers come first, when applicable).  With that said, I knew they would suck this year thanks to Babydick York and T-bag Baalke, and sure enough, they are showing their true colors.  The Steelers and Cardinals are NOT the Vikings.  They looked good at home against a mediocre at best team.  Put them on the road against a good team and they collapse.  This is what to expect from them this entire season.  And since they have 2 games against the Rams, 2 against the She-hawks, and another against Arizona, be prepared for a lot of losses coming their way.  I told a coworker before the pre-season started that they'd be lucky to get 5 wins.  He said they'd for sure get 5.  At this point I think it's as likely they win the super bowl as them getting 5 wins.  Keep in mind we still have the Bengals, Packers, Ravens, Falcons, and Giants and Lions (both away games) to play, and I guarantee at least 4 of those 6 games are losses.  Don't kid yourself about the Lions and Giants either.  They aren't great this year, but they'll probably beat the 9ers.  Maybe we get lucky against the Browns... maybe.  I'm sticking to my original PRE-pre-season prediction of 4-12 on the year.

And I swear, if cameras close-up on Tomsula's face one more time with that stupid deer-in-the-headlights look, I'm gonna drive down to the stadium and smack him upside the head.  He's a decent line coach, but he's no way ready for prime time, and he looks like a moron out there.  The front office set him up for failure and just watching him stand there dumbfounded by the game in front of him proves he's not ready.  Yeah, Harbaugh was a pain in the ass to work with, but guess what, he won you games, and a lot of them, including playoff games.  Next time SF sees the playoffs I might be old and grey.

PS - I'll keep rooting for them as they're my team, but I'm not stupid, I picked the Cards as my Fantasy Defense this week, and they were 10 points ahead of second place.  Won it by a landslide.  If only all my other picks had been that good...