National Football League Thread

cmgravekeeper

I hate to let facts get in the way of your pretty little narrative, but the Patriots didn't make the playoffs the year Brady was hurt.  They lost a divisional tiebreak to Miami and a Wild Card tiebreak to Baltimore and sat at home despite the 11-5 record.

Moving on....

Jim Harbaugh didn't have the exact same team and no amount of your pretense can change that.  Most of the roster was the same, but you might have recalled that point early in his first season where Harbaugh switched quarterbacks and re-designed the offense to work around Colin Kaepernick.  Or you might not.  I suppose to you it makes no difference at all that Kaepernick went from throwing 5 passes as a rookie to 218 as a sophomore plus all the read-option runs.

And hey, pretend that losing Chris Borland and Patrick Willis and Mike iupati and Justin Smith and Aldon Smith (among others) makes no difference at all and that the only reason the 49ers suck this year is that there's a new head coach.  If that helps you sleep at night, more power to you.  I suppose you believe that if Jim Harbaugh had simply stuck around, he has a magic wand tucked in his shirt pocket that could have made everything better.

Hate your ownership if you feel like it and blame them for everything.  And spew your bile towards anyone who dares to tell you that your point of view isn't absolutely perfect and that anyone who disagrees with you is wrong and an idiot.  If that's how you feel better about yourself, far be it from me to stop you.

Finally, the college thing.  You admit that you don't watch and know very much but someone else is the idiot because they disagree with you?  Do you have the first clue just how large a talent disparity there is between teams at the college level?  Or just how bad some of those offenses they've faced are?  Just because you can beat up the runt on the playground doesn't mean you're a good fighter; it frequently means you look very good bullying someone who simply can't fight back very well.

The best team that Michigan played beat them rather convincingly -- the final score wasn't particularly indicitive of how close the game was (not).  Most of the rest of their schedule features teams that are awful and won't make bowl games in an NCAA landscape that features two-thirds of the teams making bowls.  One of those teams in question already fired their head coach.

Shut out good teams and it means something.  Shut out teams with garbage offenses and garbage rosters and it doesn't mean as much.  But what would I know, I only watch the sport while you look at a very small handful of numbers and make sweeping judgments about them.

Oh my god, here we go again, Smith was the QB Harbaugh's entire first year!  He beat the Saints at home in the playoffs.  Kaep didn't come in until the mid point of the following year.  Glad you're so keen to point out the facts only when it suits you.  And again, you still can't read or process the English language.  In my last response I specifically mentioned him coming to the Niners and them now winning, NOT this year.  Go ahead and keep talking about this year and only paying attention to one point.  And keep playing the 'poor me' card all you want, I couldn't give a shit.  You chose to respond, so enjoy the 'bile'.  And yeah, lol, I do admit not following college football, I still know 3 straight shutouts is impressive, and saying otherwise is still naive.  I guess your next argument will be something just as silly like how you could single-handedly have shutout those teams too.  Just read an article that they're the first team with 3 consecutive shutouts in 20 years.  Yeah, nothing noteworthy there I guess.  20 years of 'runts' getting lucky, lol.

Having 5(?) undefeated teams going into week 6 is just gross.  There's sooooo much bad football being played from end to end that the season is getting harder and harder to watch.  Defensive football is becoming a thing of the past (fucking fantasy) and the game is being watered down to the point of being disgraceful.  Call me a salty Seahawk fan if you'd like, you're not wrong, but the focus on offense-offense-offense is ruining the game for me.  Throw the ball deep and the flag is almost inevitable.  If your pinky grazes a QB's helmet, 15 yards.  Hit someone outside of the 4 inch window between the chest and hips (especially a QB) that's another 15, which is what I blame for the bad tackling that's happening in every game.  O-lines are atrocious on about 80% of the teams right now because every O-lineman drafted comes from the spread offense college system,  Right now it seems like you either have a superstar QB who can throw for 5 million yards a game and go undefeated or you wallow in the muck with a losing record.  No in-between.  I'll be amazed if the playoffs don't have a team with a losing record for the 2nd year in a row.  Back when the Hawks did it several years ago there was a "huge" problem and it needed to be addressed and fixed immediately, now-a-days it looks like it might become the norm.

• Like 1

Having 5(?) undefeated teams going into week 6 is just gross.  There's sooooo much bad football being played from end to end that the season is getting harder and harder to watch.  Defensive football is becoming a thing of the past (fucking fantasy) and the game is being watered down to the point of being disgraceful.  Call me a salty Seahawk fan if you'd like, you're not wrong, but the focus on offense-offense-offense is ruining the game for me.  Throw the ball deep and the flag is almost inevitable.  If your pinky grazes a QB's helmet, 15 yards.  Hit someone outside of the 4 inch window between the chest and hips (especially a QB) that's another 15, which is what I blame for the bad tackling that's happening in every game.  O-lines are atrocious on about 80% of the teams right now because every O-lineman drafted comes from the spread offense college system,  Right now it seems like you either have a superstar QB who can throw for 5 million yards a game and go undefeated or you wallow in the muck with a losing record.  No in-between.  I'll be amazed if the playoffs don't have a team with a losing record for the 2nd year in a row.  Back when the Hawks did it several years ago there was a "huge" problem and it needed to be addressed and fixed immediately, now-a-days it looks like it might become the norm.

Are you complaining because the Seahawks don't have an offense? The Seahawks don't even have the best defense anymore. There's no excuses for your team choking in the fourth quarter (Again). There are only two superstar quarterbacks in football right now so to say thats why teams are undefeated doesn't make any sense. The falcons are undefeated because their schedule is easy as shit. The Panthers are undefeated right now but their luck will run out soon. The Broncos are staying alive because of their defense (Which you claim has no effect on football anymore) Peyton Manning has thrown 6 td's and 7 int's this year and their 5-0... Your saying they won because of offense? Dude you have absolutely no idea what your talking about. As for the Packers they have a great defense (Which is the reason they won today with 4 interceptions). As for the Patriots I don't think it matters, Tom Brady is on a mission and nobody is going to stop him. To say defense doesn't matter anymore because your trash ass Seahawks got torched by Andy Dalton is funny to me. Maybe if Seattle's sorry corners didn't get burned 85% of the time in man coverage they wouldn't get penalized for pass interference because their trying to make a play. The penalties you are referring to have been in the league for years and you complaining about them now only proves how much of a butt-hurt (Probably bandwagoner) Seahawks fan you are. By the way. The Seattle Seahawks shouldn't have even made it to the Superbowl vs Denver because of the poor, trash ass officiating vs the 49ers in the NFC title game. You can't come here and talk about penalties being the reason your team sucks. I didn't see you complaining when the replacement refs called the "catch" a touchdown vs Green Bay. Only when you figured out your beloved Seattle Seahawks were shit did you decide to come on here and complain. 

There's still 6, it's crazy!  And I feel ya, I've been making similar statements the last few seasons.  I get it, they want to be safe, but you can't hit a QB below the waist because they might mistake that for below the knees (see Aldon's Smith's record setting rookie sack that got nullified on a bogus penalty), and if you hit them in the chest, it's too close to the head and it might upset their fragile egos (I like Drew Brees, but see the game changing nullified sack by Ahmed Brooks that gave the Saints a win over the Niners a few years ago).  Both were legal sacks, both nullified by bogus PI calls on the QB.  So if you're a salty fan, I'm definitely a salty one too, lol.

Like I said, safety is important and I get that, but come on, it's a sport, and a dangerous one.  They don't pay these players millions of dollars a year to play flag football.  If I had the skill to play, I might not, cause millions of dollars is nice, but not crippling myself and dying young is nice too.  And this is a sport often compared to gladiators' of the past... bullshit, Goodell has made it a league for pansy's to collect big paychecks for nothing.  Don't get me wrong, I don't want to see players get hurt, but it happens, and at some point the rules are going to cause more injuries as players try to avoid hits instead of just squaring up and taking them.  That's how you get hurt, trying to avoid them.  You just set your jaw and go for it you usually come out alright.  Rugby players wear no pads, the sport has very few rules, and people get hurt way less than the NFL.  Remove 90% of the pads and put them back in leather helmets and let them go back to hitting each other and chances are there will be less injuries and maybe it'll be more enjoyable to watch again.  I played schoolyard tackle football games in street clothes in middle school with bigger hits.  No one cried about it, and worse case you got a bloody nose or scraped knees.  That's why there was a nurse's station on campus, lol.

And teams with losing records in the playoffs is still a problem.  People don't say much now cause you're right, it's becoming the norm, which sucks.  Nothing will probably be done about it until it becomes ridiculous.  Did you know a team can make the playoffs with a 3-13 record?  Yep, if all 4 teams in a division split division games and lose all non-division games there's be a 4-way tie for 1st place with all 4 teams having a 3-13 record and tie-breaker rules would decide the winner.  Chances of that happening are slim to none, but it is a potential situation.  And with the current rules, that team would host a playoff game!  Could you imagine the outrage if that did happen?  Hahah... well, it's probably not that far off to see a 6-10 or 5-11 playoff team in the next 10 years (sooner than later?).  With how bad the NFC East and AFC South suck, there may even be a slim chance of it happening this year.

But yeah, I saw some plays in todays games that were awful.  Someone accidentally bumped a guy while going for the ball or stepped on a toe and got a 15-yard penalty, or worse, a PI spot foul worth 50-60 yards.  The new game plan for back QBs is gonna be 'hail mary till you see the flags'.  I miss the days when teams just played the game and didn't whine when they broke a nail.  Maybe take away their money, the game will have no hitting, but every player makes $50k a year.  I wonder how that'd go over with the players, lol.

Are you complaining because the Seahawks don't have an offense? The Seahawks don't even have the best defense anymore. There's no excuses for your team choking in the fourth quarter (Again). There are only two superstar quarterbacks in football right now so to say thats why teams are undefeated doesn't make any sense. The falcons are undefeated because their schedule is easy as shit. The Panthers are undefeated right now but their luck will run out soon. The Broncos are staying alive because of their defense (Which you claim has no effect on football anymore) Peyton Manning has thrown 6 td's and 7 int's this year and their 5-0... Your saying they won because of offense? Dude you have absolutely no idea what your talking about. As for the Packers they have a great defense (Which is the reason they won today with 4 interceptions). As for the Patriots I don't think it matters, Tom Brady is on a mission and nobody is going to stop him. To say defense doesn't matter anymore because your trash ass Seahawks got torched by Andy Dalton is funny to me. Maybe if Seattle's sorry corners didn't get burned 85% of the time in man coverage they wouldn't get penalized for pass interference because their trying to make a play. The penalties you are referring to have been in the league for years and you complaining about them now only proves how much of a butt-hurt (Probably bandwagoner) Seahawks fan you are. By the way. The Seattle Seahawks shouldn't have even made it to the Superbowl vs Denver because of the poor, trash ass officiating vs the 49ers in the NFC title game. You can't come here and talk about penalties being the reason your team sucks. I didn't see you complaining when the replacement refs called the "catch" a touchdown vs Green Bay. Only when you figured out your beloved Seattle Seahawks were shit did you decide to come on here and complain. 

Hell Yes I'm complaining that the Seahawks offense stinks but that's completely separate from my dissatisfaction with the product the NFL is putting out right now.  I also agree there's no excuse for all the choking they've been doing lately.

When I look at the teams with the best records right now I see a pretty obvious pattern.

Patriots - Brady and Gronk

Bengals - Dalton and Green

Packers - Rodgers and anyone (you go ahead and keep telling yourself it's all because of Green Bay's defense though)

Falcons - Ryan and Jones

Cards - Palmer and Fitzgerald

5 of the 7 top teams pretty much have the best QB/receiver combo's in the league because, guess what, it's an offense orientated game.  One team in that list (Denver) is there because of their defense, which is arguably the best in the NFL right now.  The Panthers are the one anomaly and I don't think anyone's expecting the same results from them at the end of the season as the rest of the teams mentioned.  I'm not saying it's to the point of being an absolute truth but the league has 100% been leaning towards making changes that promote more offense and more scoring.  If you wanna deny that, go ahead and I'll disagree without spouting a bunch of childish insults.

As for the rest of your little rant.  I fully admitted that my opinion is probably got some bias to it, the same way yours is obviously skewed from blind hatred.  I've always been a fan of defense and it started long before *gasp* 2012.  Hey, guess what, I'm a Mariners fan too.  You wanna go ahead and call me a pre-bandwagon M's fan because they have the potential to be good?  And the "fail mary" game, you should probably quit making assumptions and saying you didn't "hear me complaining" because you're dead wrong.  When it happened, the first thing I did was tell Wade_VC (a member here who's a big GB fan) that I was sorry and it was a bad call.  The same way I did last week when the Lions got screwed.  I pointed out that I think the rule is silly, which I stand by, but it was a bad call and Seattle deserved to lose.  Finally, I'm aware the penalties have existed for years, the difference is they are much, much more strictly enforced and QB's especially are protected to the point of being ridiculous.  After Seattle won the SB I don't think was a coincidence that next year's "emphasis" happened to be the one thing that would hamstring their defense the most.  Seemed pretty obvious that Goodell and TPTB didn't like seeing a record setting offense get completely shut down so they decided to do something about it.  

Edited by skidmarkgn

Hell Yes I'm complaining that the Seahawks offense stinks but that's completely separate from my dissatisfaction with the product the NFL is putting out right now.  I also agree there's no excuse for all the choking they've been doing lately.

When I look at the teams with the best records right now I see a pretty obvious pattern.

Patriots - Brady and Gronk

Bengals - Dalton and Green

Packers - Rodgers and anyone (you go ahead and keep telling yourself it's all because of Green Bay's defense though)

Falcons - Ryan and Jones

Cards - Palmer and Fitzgerald

5 of the 7 top teams pretty much have the best QB/receiver combo's in the league because, guess what, it's an offense orientated game.  One team in that list (Denver) is there because of their defense, which is arguably the best in the NFL right now.  The Panthers are the one anomaly and I don't think anyone's expecting the same results from them at the end of the season as the rest of the teams mentioned.  I'm not saying it's to the point of being an absolute truth but the league has 100% been leaning towards making changes that promote more offense and more scoring.  If you wanna deny that, go ahead and I'll disagree without spouting a bunch of childish insults.

As for the rest of your little rant.  I fully admitted that my opinion is probably got some bias to it, the same way yours is obviously skewed from blind hatred.  I've always been a fan of defense and it started long before *gasp* 2012.  Hey, guess what, I'm a Mariners fan too.  You wanna go ahead and call me a pre-bandwagon M's fan because they have the potential to be good?  And the "fail mary" game, you should probably quit making assumptions and saying you didn't "hear me complaining" because you're dead wrong.  When it happened, the first thing I did was tell Wade_VC (a member here who's a big GB fan) that I was sorry and it was a bad call.  The same way I did last week when the Lions got screwed.  I pointed out that I think the rule is silly, which I stand by, but it was a bad call and Seattle deserved to lose.  Finally, I'm aware the penalties have existed for years, the difference is they are much, much more strictly enforced and QB's especially are protected to the point of being ridiculous.  After Seattle won the SB I don't think was a coincidence that next year's "emphasis" happened to be the one thing that would hamstring their defense the most.  Seemed pretty obvious that Goodell and TPTB didn't like seeing a record setting offense get completely shut down so they decided to do something about it.  

Your points are all fair. Ill admit I got a bit carried away yesterday, I had a pretty bad day. Don't take anything personally. However, if you believe Tom Brady and Gronk are one of the top receiver duos in the NFL (Which I agree they are) then where does Seattle fall on that list? I mean they have Russell Wilson, who I personally believe is overrated, but whenever I say it, I get ate up in the comments with people telling me he's top 4 in the league. Plus they have Jimmy Graham who me and a lot of the NFL fanbase still believes is the 2nd best tight end in football. Plus they have Marshawn Lynch, who is a top 5 running back in the league (I know he has been injured). I don't watch Seattle games often, because they are rarely available on my local channels. Asking you who is clearly a true Seattle fan whats the problem? They theoretically should be one of the top 7 or so offenses in the entire NFL given talent. I think I saw you mention their offensive line was bad, but is it really that bad? Is it your offensive coordinator? As someone who I assumed has watched all the Seattle games, what do you think is the problem? Because putting up 13 or whatever points vs whats left of the Detroit Lions a week ago, in a game they were lucky to win due to a bad call, is absurd to say the least. 

Your points are all fair. Ill admit I got a bit carried away yesterday, I had a pretty bad day. Don't take anything personally. However, if you believe Tom Brady and Gronk are one of the top receiver duos in the NFL (Which I agree they are) then where does Seattle fall on that list? I mean they have Russell Wilson, who I personally believe is overrated, but whenever I say it, I get ate up in the comments with people telling me he's top 4 in the league. Plus they have Jimmy Graham who me and a lot of the NFL fanbase still believes is the 2nd best tight end in football. Plus they have Marshawn Lynch, who is a top 5 running back in the league (I know he has been injured). I don't watch Seattle games often, because they are rarely available on my local channels. Asking you who is clearly a true Seattle fan whats the problem? They theoretically should be one of the top 7 or so offenses in the entire NFL given talent. I think I saw you mention their offensive line was bad, but is it really that bad? Is it your offensive coordinator? As someone who I assumed has watched all the Seattle games, what do you think is the problem? Because putting up 13 or whatever points vs whats left of the Detroit Lions a week ago, in a game they were lucky to win due to a bad call, is absurd to say the least. 

No worries man.  We'll start fresh  :highfive:

Not sure there's enough room on the internet to describe all of Seattle's problems on offense right now.  First and foremost, the O-line.  Most of the players were D-linemen that Carroll and Schneider drafted and converted to O-linemen.  Unger, the all pro center who Seattle traded for Graham got replaced by a guy the Jags drafted in 2012 and never touched the field until this year.  Britt, the guy they drafted last year switched positions in the 3rd preseason game and Gilliam is just no good.  Okung is their best player but he's getting older and spends a lot of time hurt.  Sweezy is the one bright spot but he's 50/50 at best.  Run blocking isn't usually an issue but their pass protection is abysmal.  If a guy like Peyton was behind their line he'd be in a stretcher by week 2.  The Pats and Falcons kind of did the same patchwork job with their O-lines this year but it seems to be working out for them.  Win some lose some I guess.

Next is Bevell, the offensive coordinator.  He's been a point of debate here locally but more and more fans are losing faith in him every game.  Look at the last 4 drives in the Bengals game.  they ran the 1st 2 downs to get a 3rd and short then tried to throw the ball to anyone not named Jimmy (two of the times Wilson had to take a sack the rest were all incompletions).  Seems like anyone with 2 eyes and a brain could see that Rawls was on fire that game and he should have gotten the ball at least once to try for a potential game ending 1st down, but nope, captain stubborn kept with the same BS that didn't work.

As for Graham, he's been MIA for every game but one (the Bears).  For some reason they insist on using him as a blocker and he just can't do it.  Part of it I do put on Graham though.  He's used to being Brees' immediate go to guy in any problematic situation.  What he can't seem to figure out is that Russell can and will scramble for an hour and he needs to keep working to get open instead of giving up on the play and standing still, which he tends to do when the pocket collapses.

Seattle's receiving core is very hit and miss.  Kearse is for sure a "big moment" guy but he's more often than not just average.  Baldwin is tough as nails and probably Seattle's best receiver but he can be spotty too.  Graham is too busy being misused as a blocking tight end to be an impact player.  Tyler Locket looks like he could be a future burner but he's still a rookie and only time will tell, same with Richardson.  Matthews had a breakout game in the superbowl but he hasn't done much since.

The run game is, of course, the strength but the O-line has been allowing defenders in the backfield almost immediately about 60% of the time.  It's tough to run when you got a guy dragging you down a millisecond after touching the ball.  Lynch isn't getting any younger but Rawls has shown a lot of potential in 2 of the 3 games he played.

Wilson is good, I'd even call him... not great, but "special".  I wouldn't put him in the top 5 personally but he has a gift when it comes to being evasive and his football IQ is pretty high.  He plugs into Seattle's system perfectly.  Their motto has always been to take care of the ball 1st and it's a rare thing for him to make a stupid mistake.  He'll not see open guys from time to time but being a straight bonehead doesn't happen to him much.

The last part of the problem is the (in my opinion) lack of a chip on the shoulder, that's more the defense though who's current downfall has also been a plethora of issues.

Edited by skidmarkgn

I watched 49ers game yesterday with Game Pass (really can't watch live ad 2:30 AM) and I'm still really upset... I was believing could be a win after Kaep "redemption" and most importantly Brock game-change INT... Instead we screwed ourself in the last 30 seconds giving up a touchdown on a 80 yards drive  :angry:

Have no words left... 1-4 and the "Tunaface" still saying he likes this, likes that, confidence here and there, believe this and that... Go choke yourself!!

I watched 49ers game yesterday with Game Pass (really can't watch live ad 2:30 AM) and I'm still really upset... I was believing could be a win after Kaep "redemption" and most importantly Brock game-change INT... Instead we screwed ourself in the last 30 seconds giving up a touchdown on a 80 yards drive  :angry:

Have no words left... 1-4 and the "Tunaface" still saying he likes this, likes that, confidence here and there, believe this and that... Go choke yourself!!

I've been saying it ever since Colin Kaepernick's first year. He is not a good quarterback what so ever. The only reason he was good in the beginning is because defenses didn't know what to expect, but now they have begun to adjust. Last year alone Colin Kaepernick singly handedly blew 3-4 games. You guys arguably should have been 10-6 or 11-5 last year and potentially made the playoffs. Its going to be a terrible year for 49ers fan this year. I would recommend looking into new quarterbacks as soon as possible. 

Boy - the league is bad this year. I was trying to think of a bottom 5, and honestly, there are about 15 teams that could make a claim. 

I've been saying it ever since Colin Kaepernick's first year. He is not a good quarterback what so ever. The only reason he was good in the beginning is because defenses didn't know what to expect, but now they have begun to adjust. Last year alone Colin Kaepernick singly handedly blew 3-4 games. You guys arguably should have been 10-6 or 11-5 last year and potentially made the playoffs. Its going to be a terrible year for 49ers fan this year. I would recommend looking into new quarterbacks as soon as possible. 

Kaepernick's biggest problem was believing his own hype, and not developing his game in any way. You're right - defenses certainly know what to expect now, but Crapernick didn't bother to add any new wrinkles. Now, he's below average and hurting his team.

I agree.

Also it didn't help Sunday night that the horseshoe crammed up Eli Manning's ass activated and got another lucky hero win.

My Week 7 Tips

Falcons over Saints

Bengals over Bills

Bears over Lions

Broncos over Browns

Titans over Dolphins

Vikings over Chiefs

Jets over Redskins

Cardinals over Steelers

Jags over Texans

Seahawks over Panthers

Packers over Chargers

Ravens over 49ers

Patriots over Colts

Eagles over Giants

The Superbowl against the Pats - 10 point 4th quarter lead, blown.

Week 1 against the Rams - 10 point 4th quarter lead, blown.

Week 2 against the Packers - ??point 4th quarter lead, blown (can't remember the exact number).

Week 4 against the Lions - 10 point 4th quarter lead, blown and saved by a bad no-call.

I don't (entirely) blame the defense for this trend, the offense needs to carry their weight and do something other than a 2 minute 3 and out late in games.  ONE fucking 1st down in 3 possessions in the 4th quarter while allowing 17 unanswered is a joke.  Seattle's offense is a joke.  Bevell is a joke.  He's been defended for far too long now, Seattle's offense has too much talent to constantly go; 1st down, run.  2nd down, run.  3rd down, sack.  4th down punt.

I know that everyone around here (here being Washinton not psnp) is saying they were 3-3 last year too and look what happened but this year's different.  There's no locker room cancer (Harvin) causing a divide they can purge and there was no Green Bay team running away with the conference early in the season.  Right now, I'd be amazed to see this uninspired team even make the playoffs, let alone win a game on the road during them.

I would blame Michael Bennett for the Cincy collapse. The guy turned a int return that would have most likely turned into a TD into a field goal because he wanted to sit there and push around Andy Dalton for no reason whatsoever. The dude is a crybaby bitch and Pete Carrol needs to start disciplining his players or this is going to keep happening. I'm quite surprised he is even still in the NFL with all of his retarded penalties.

I would blame Michael Bennett for the Cincy collapse. The guy turned a int return that would have most likely turned into a TD into a field goal because he wanted to sit there and push around Andy Dalton for no reason whatsoever. The dude is a crybaby bitch and Pete Carrol needs to start disciplining his players or this is going to keep happening. I'm quite surprised he is even still in the NFL with all of his retarded penalties.

I would never assume a drive ends in a TD instead of a field goal with Seattle's offense right now.  They're terrible in the red zone.  I also wouldn't just blame Bennett.  That 4th quarter collapse was a complete team collapse.  The offense couldn't move the ball, the defense couldn't get a stop, even the punting unit all of a sudden kept giving Cincy awesome field position.  Seattle melted down in all 3 phases of the game in that 4th quarter and the Bengals took the momentum and punished them for it.