National Football League Thread

cmgravekeeper

4 hours ago, DamagingRob said:

Who in their right mind would want Cutler? There'd be more headlines about the team crazy enough to sign him. 

That was my point.  Cutler and Kaep are on about the same level right now but Kaep keeps getting a bunch of excuses and headlines because idiots like Spike Lee are running their mouths while Cutler is just accepted as being garbage.  Kaep had one legitimate good year in 2013 and that was because he was on an unbelievably loaded team.  The dude's just not that (10 million dollars) good and teams know it.

1 hour ago, skidmarkgn said:

That was my point.  Cutler and Kaep are on about the same level right now but Kaep keeps getting a bunch of excuses and headlines because idiots like Spike Lee are running their mouths while Cutler is just accepted as being garbage.  Kaep had one legitimate good year in 2013 and that was because he was on an unbelievably loaded team.  The dude's just not that (10 million dollars) good and teams know it.

Maybe not, but I can't imagine him being a worse choice than Jay. :/ At least Kaepernick had a good year. The Bears were paying him more than any other quarterback for awhile, I thought, and I don't understand why..

Lombardi really is causing rifts in in Seattle.  I think he is right, however.  I think Sherman is an expendable, overpaid commodity (in regards to Seattle on both counts, and not for the league) in a ripe draft year.  His behavior is a big detriment.  I think Seattle has more potential without him and his contract.  If he was not a locker room problem, I doubt that the team would worry much about his salary or be much open to 'unloading' him.  Anger management?

That said, he is on the team, and I don't appreciate this guy running his mouth and starting fires.  Let it go Lombardi! 

^^ thanks, in case we missed the post 2 up for yours.

I saw a headline on cbs sports about Romo not being a HOFer.  A very nice 'welcome to the family', oh and you were just an ok QB.

The QB pool got a little thinner.  Cutler might get calls now?

37 minutes ago, dmsleight said:

^^ thanks, in case we missed the post 2 up for yours.

I saw a headline on cbs sports about Romo not being a HOFer.  A very nice 'welcome to the family', oh and you were just an ok QB.

I overlooked that. Oops! ?

I don't think he belongs there, either, but not very classy of them. 

On 4/1/2017 at 1:14 AM, Lithium_Lemon said:

Was the fact that he isn't very good been brought up yet? This sounds like just another headline grabbing article hoping to create controversy on why he has not been signed yet. Trust me, if teams actually thought this guy had a shot at being a good NFL quarterback they would be lining up to sign him. 

I think that both sides are true here. Sure, Crapernick isn't worth the coin that he wants, and that will play a role. But I have zero doubt that some of the owners and GMs are shying away simply because of controversy.

On 4/1/2017 at 10:04 AM, acasser said:

I believe it's quite possible that there are teams out there that refuse to consider Colin Kaepernick for non-football reasons.  But I also believe it's very possible that there are teams who would be willing to bring him in, but only at a price tag and in a role of their choosing. 

This is what I think, too.

6 hours ago, Torracat83 said:

I overlooked that. Oops! 1f633.png

I don't think he belongs there, either, but not very classy of them. 

I'm in the same park.

1 hour ago, charlijaen said:

I loved Phil Sims' broadcasts :(

Why is CBS firing him to hire Romo?!

No, think of it as you "moving on to greener pastures".  But actually, I think he is just getting reassigned.

10 hours ago, dmsleight said:

I doubt this is surprising to regular followers of this thread, but I don't think Tony Romo is a HOFer, either.  He's a "Hall of Very Good", but my standards for the Hall of Fame are probably significantly higher than most other people's standards.  And I know I'm going to have to fight the same argument when the discussion turns to Eli Manning in a few years, especially here in the greater NYC area, because I don't think Eli is a HOFer, either.  But that's off-topic.

As for Jay Cutler?  I don't know that it's going to happen for him, either.  Let's be frank:  Tony Romo was a relatively unique case in that there was a very limited market for his services because Romo was going to choose a landing spot that met his qualifications regardless of other interest and the amount of money thrown at him.  It was always going to be Houston or Denver, and I don't see why either team would circle back to Jay Cutler given what they have under contract as well.  There is no ripple effect to be had here because I don't think other QBs were waiting on Tony Romo's decision.

Guys like Jay Cutler, Colin Kaepernick, Ryan Fitzpatrick, et al, were always going to have to wait for someone to pick up a phone and call them.  And I suppose that might happen after the Draft, and assuming those guys are willing to take low dollars and/or non-guaranteed contracts to compete for a backup spot, but it might require injuries to happen as well.

For me, Tony Romo is not a HOFer, because he never won a championship, and what is worse, he just won 2 playoff games.

If they induct Romo onto the HOF, they really must consider Marshawn Lynch, he won SB XLVIII and he lost XLIX because they didn't run inside the 1yd line ;,(

And there are lots of people that still don't consider Beast Mode a possible HOFer...

51 minutes ago, acasser said:

I doubt this is surprising to regular followers of this thread, but I don't think Tony Romo is a HOFer, either.

I would never say that he is.  And I have read rumors of Cutler with Romo out.

I don't think that championships define a career, especially in team sports.  People nowadays put entirely too much emphasis on them.  You can nix a lot of phenomenal players if you go that road, and welcome in a lot of middling players too.  Champions ships are at best 'decoration' in the legacy of players of team sports.

9 hours ago, charlijaen said:

I loved Phil Sims' broadcasts :(

Why is CBS firing him to hire Romo?!

CBS have said he will stay on with them but in another role, I doubt it'll be in the booth, maybe he'll be on the NFL today (there pregame show) now

Stl is trying to recoup some its loses from the Rams leaving.  I don't see this going to trial. I'll bet they get some settlement.  If they did go to trial and lose, that would be even more lose of tax payer money.  I wouldn't be surprised to read of other city lawsuits to follow.  Maybe the nfl will lose a lot more on relocating.

I imagine the burden of proof for this case is going to be nauseatingly high.  St. Louis and the other local governments in question are going to have to prove "bad faith", and that's very difficult to do in a Court of Law.  On top of that, they're going to have to provide some sort of reasonable basis for the damages they're claiming, and we all know how terrible governments are when it comes to estimating numbers and the impacts of any number of things.  And if I'm the NFL, I then follow up by asking why St. Louis and its environs haven't sued any number of other businesses that have fled the region under the same justifications.

I just don't see how this ends well for the City of St. Louis or the County of St. Louis.