National Football League Thread

cmgravekeeper

Going over the Seahawks schedule and it looks pretty good.  only one 10 A.M. road start and it's against Jacksonville.  The only back to back road games have a bye week in between (although I'm not sure having to bounce back and forth between Seattle and ____________ every week is great either), yeah, not bad at all.  If I was going to nit-pick anything it would be them having to play @ Green Bay yet again but even that blow is softened by it being in September instead of December.  Giving a pre-draft, rosters exactly as they are pre-pre-season prediction - 12-4 with the losses being Green Bay, Houston, Dallas and Arizona.

7 hours ago, skidmarkgn said:

If I was going to nit-pick anything it would be them having to play @ Green Bay yet again but

The NFL scheduling matrix is to blame for that one.  The games inside the Division don't even need explanation.  Games against a set Division inside one's own Conference are set on a six-year rotation.  The games against a Division in the opposite Conference are set on an eight-year rotation.  Both of those latter groups are fixed in such a way so that there isn't an Elway/Marino situation again, with two of the League's "superstars" meeting once (regular season) in a 14-year career; rather, these matrices mean your favorite team hosts every other team in the same Conference at least once every six years and every team in the other Conference once every eight years.

The remaining two games in the schedule are against teams in those other two Divisions inside the same Conference that aren't part of the current year's full crossover.  Teams play the corresponding team that finished in the same standings spot, with those locations fixed during that two-year interregnum.  And those "home divisions" don't flip-flop, so it's quite possible to play a particular team at their stadium three consecutive years the way the sequence works out if they move within the standings in unison.

It's a crummy deal when you go to a good team's home stadium three consecutive years, but those are the quirks of the system.  But if that happens, it also means that any (regular season) games between those teams during the following three seasons are at home.

So a few interesting things I noticed from the schedule 

Chiefs have most primetime games at 6

Steelers play 4 primetime games in a row 

Raiders last home game for season is week 15

Thanksgiving almost had every NFC east team 

Ravens do like Colts last season and have no bye after there London game 

Patriots go from Denver to Mexico City in back to back games

p.s a juicy Thursday night game in week 3 when The Rams play @ 49ers :P 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, skidmarkgn said:

Going over the Seahawks schedule and it looks pretty good.  only one 10 A.M. road start and it's against Jacksonville.  The only back to back road games have a bye week in between (although I'm not sure having to bounce back and forth between Seattle and ____________ every week is great either), yeah, not bad at all.  If I was going to nit-pick anything it would be them having to play @ Green Bay yet again but even that blow is softened by it being in September instead of December.  Giving a pre-draft, rosters exactly as they are pre-pre-season prediction - 12-4 with the losses being Green Bay, Houston, Dallas and Arizona.

Yeah, they do have a fairly easy schedule.  One thing I'm not fond of is the 5 east coast trips.   At least they dont have a home game in London.  Dec might be rough, but that is usually when they pull together.

Not much gained in Seattle for lynch, but they didn't have any leverage either, so they did get something.  I read they wanted to switch 1st rounders (24th for 26th).  I hope Lynch has a good year.  I haven't seen any details of the new contract, other than 2 years.  It might take a day or two to surface.  It will probably get lost in draft news.

I always thought that lynch was 2 decent years from hof.  Maybe he can pad his resume?

3 hours ago, dmsleight said:

Not much gained in Seattle for lynch, but they didn't have any leverage either, so they did get something.  I read they wanted to switch 1st rounders (24th for 26th).  I hope Lynch has a good year.  I haven't seen any details of the new contract, other than 2 years.  It might take a day or two to surface.  It will probably get lost in draft news.

I always thought that lynch was 2 decent years from hof.  Maybe he can pad his resume?

Interesting they only signed him for the 2years and not longer for when they go to Vegas.

obviously trying to win whatever fans in Oakland they have left 

25 minutes ago, I Am Error said:

Interesting they only signed him for the 2years and not longer for when they go to Vegas.

obviously trying to win whatever fans in Oakland they have left 

I was thinking the same thing, it is just a way for them to get Oakland butts in seats for the twilight of their oakland stay.  I'm curious if they leave earlier, would he stay with them?  I have my doubts.

I'd like to thank Chicago for reaching for Mitch Trubisky and not tempting the Jets to do something asinine like taking another crappy Quaterback when they need so many other things.

I'd like to thank Tennessee for reaching for that Western Michigan WR.  Nice player, from what I saw during the Cotton Bowl, but not worth a Top 5 pick.

And I'd like to thank Mike McCagnan and Todd Bowles for making a sane pick.  They needed secondary help -- check that, they need help almost everywhere -- and they seem to have gotten a pretty good guy without all the medical issues and red flags that denigrate the other guys.  And while they needed offensive help, they didn't reach for Deshaun Watson.... although I would have been quite good with O.J. Howard and could have accepted Christian McCaffrey.

Seattle traded out of the first round because Bolles was snagged by Denver.  They would have taken him if he was available.  I am surprised that Oakland didn't trade down.

Thanks so much Chicago for your idiocy.  Giving up a ton to Sea's division rival for 1 spot.  You had to know that SF didn't want Trubwateversky.  But you didn't, so you lose.

Lesson I learned from this draft, always trade down if you have a top 12 pick.  You win.  Seattle should be happy with themselves dropping 8 spots and picking up an early 2nd, 3rd, 4th and 7th rd picks.

5 hours ago, dmsleight said:

Thanks so much Chicago for your idiocy.  Giving up a ton to Sea's division rival for 1 spot.  You had to know that SF didn't want Trubwateversky.  But you didn't, so you lose.

Probably one of those things where San Francisco was talking trade with other QB-needy teams.  Sure, they probably could have gotten a fair amount more from one of those teams that did overpay to move up for a signal-caller, but dropping only one spot allows the 49ers to get the guy they wanted in the first place without risk and still pick up some extra picks.

Chicago was overpaying to make sure THEY got their guy, and not someone like Buffalo, Cleveland, Houston, whomever.  Because it's not a binary situation where either San Francisco picked #2 (and Chicago at #3) or Chicago picked #2.

16 minutes ago, acasser said:

Probably one of those things where San Francisco was talking trade with other QB-needy teams.  Sure, they probably could have gotten a fair amount more from one of those teams that did overpay to move up for a signal-caller, but dropping only one spot allows the 49ers to get the guy they wanted in the first place without risk and still pick up some extra picks.

Chicago was overpaying to make sure THEY got their guy, and not someone like Buffalo, Cleveland, Houston, whomever.  Because it's not a binary situation where either San Francisco picked #2 (and Chicago at #3) or Chicago picked #2.

Exactly. Chicago was aware someone else was trying to move up to No. 2. So they jumped. 

regardless, it is a terrible move.  There isnt good reason to believe that Trub is a franchise QB and they mortgaged a lot from this and even next draft to secure him.  I think that if there were serious offers from other teams they would have taken them.  Other teams gave up future first rders plus decent picks this year.  getting 3s and 4s is nice, but who wouldnt double up and get a 2 and maybe a 4 and still stay in the first rd.  I'm not at all sold that Trub was lost if they didn't move. 

I bet they have to go shopping for a new qb in a year or 2.

1 hour ago, dmsleight said:

regardless, it is a terrible move.  There isnt good reason to believe that Trub is a franchise QB and they mortgaged a lot from this and even next draft to secure him.  I think that if there were serious offers from other teams they would have taken them.  Other teams gave up future first rders plus decent picks this year.  getting 3s and 4s is nice, but who wouldnt double up and get a 2 and maybe a 4 and still stay in the first rd.  I'm not at all sold that Trub was lost if they didn't move. 

I bet they have to go shopping for a new qb in a year or 2.

This is why NFL Draft Analysts have the most overhyped/ underscrutinized job in the world. Opine away and throw A and F grades around without any player even touching an NFL field yet.  It won't matter how right or wrong you are when the facts finally come to fruition in three-five years because there's always the next draft to focus the masses' attention to. Keep the Kool-Aid Draft Drinkers looking ahead so they never realize how spotty the analysts' track record really is. They are never held accountable for how often they are wrong.