National Football League Thread

cmgravekeeper

There is some truth there. But there is still plenty to judge.  E.g. if you have Dak on your team, you are wasting a pick drafting a 1st round qb.  Could you think of a lightning strike scenario where that pick worked out?  Sure, but does that mean I can't have any discernment now?  Not at all.

I don't know what analysts you read, but the ones I read reevaluate draft grades all the time.  Predictions are predictions.  Predicated on potential and unknown.  Instead of nullifying all predictions, take them for what they are.

So the Bengals have taken John Ross, Joe Mixon and Jordan Willis so far. Pretty good draft, although I do have concerns over Ross's injury history considering he's a speed guy but other than that good draft. Mixon say what you want about him would have probably been a top 5 pick if he didn't make one mistake as a teenager. Now all they need is a decent offensive line and maybe they can get shit done.

Edited by Kubanga
  • Like 1

37 minutes ago, Kubanga said:

So the Bengals have taken John Ross, Joe Mixon and Jordan Willis so far. Pretty good draft, although I do have concerns over Ross's injury history considering he's a speed guy but other than that good draft. Mixon say what you want about him would have probably been a top 5 pick if he didn't make one mistake as a teenager. Now all they need is a decent offensive line and maybe they can get shit done.

Man Joe Mixon is a monster (in a good way). I think he will be a great NFL player and a fantastic pickup for the Bengals. I don't criticize him as much as the media does for that day. I think both he AND the young woman (something the media happens just skim by) were clearly in the wrong. With the video you can clearly see that the woman escalated the situation from verbal to physical by putting her hands on him not once but twice. Obviously, a simple push or removing himself from the scene would have been all he needed to do to de-escalate the situation. With that being said the woman could have also left the scene if she was so upset. What I takeaway from the incident is that if you are going to put your hands on somebody you need to be aware that you may get struck - or worse (whether male or female, big or small) because you just don't know how some individuals are feeling that particular day and what they may do as a result. 

• Like 1

Your right, hitting smaller weaker people, especially a woman, is ok.  Breaking someones face for 'putting their hands on you' twice is perfectly reasonable.  You make a great argument.  I'm going to find some kids and blow off some steam, and feel perfectly justified.

25 minutes ago, dmsleight said:

Your right, hitting smaller weaker people, especially a woman, is ok.  Breaking someones face for 'putting their hands on you' twice is perfectly reasonable.  You make a great argument.  I'm going to find some kids and blow off some steam, and feel perfectly justified.

You are absolutely right, who would anyone ever retaliate against a weaker person? I mean, why can't we just go around fucking with the big guys because they cant do anything back. I say screw them, they can't defend themselves. They not only have to take it but are 100% responsible for making good decisions and de-escalating situations all on their own. I am 6'3 and weigh 190 pounds but hey, tomorrow I will go up to a 6'7, 275 pound MMA fighter and start pushing him around, talking some shit, you know, because he is much stronger and larger than I am, so he is in the wrong if he hits me in return.  And with your last point.... comparing a child's ability to reason with a grown adults ability to reason and understand the potential consequences of their decisions? Please. Also, I didn't say go out and start beating people for no reason "to blow off steam" like you imply. Don't come at me with shit like that. I understand I represent the minority on this view and that's fine. My rule is simple: Think about the potential consequences of your actions before you act, simple. 

11 minutes ago, Torracat83 said:

Can they do that?

I don't think there is a rule against it. Hue Jackson (Browns Coach) actually said they were going to look for him to have a role on the offense in some capacity. The only real problem I see with it overplaying. Since many safeties play most or all of the defensive plays in a game I could really only see Peppers doing a few offensive plays a game if they do decide that is the route they want to go. 

6 hours ago, Lithium_Lemon said:

You are absolutely right, who would anyone ever retaliate against a weaker person? I mean, why can't we just go around fucking with the big guys because they cant do anything back. I say screw them, they can't defend themselves. They not only have to take it but are 100% responsible for making good decisions and de-escalating situations all on their own. I am 6'3 and weigh 190 pounds but hey, tomorrow I will go up to a 6'7, 275 pound MMA fighter and start pushing him around, talking some shit, you know, because he is much stronger and larger than I am, so he is in the wrong if he hits me in return.  And with your last point.... comparing a child's ability to reason with a grown adults ability to reason and understand the potential consequences of their decisions? Please. Also, I didn't say go out and start beating people for no reason "to blow off steam" like you imply. Don't come at me with shit like that. I understand I represent the minority on this view and that's fine. My rule is simple: Think about the potential consequences of your actions before you act, simple. 

Come at you?  I was agreeing with you.  Someone gives you a hard time you break their face.  Anyone should agree that's what mature adults do.  Shows class, civility, personal strength, character and just good human decency.  Breaking the face of a woman is completely commendable if she says anything to make you angry.  If she pushes you, all the better.  In fact, she probably got off easy.  Then, when she presses charges, you and all your friends and family (and anyone who worships football above all) can harass her and threaten her life until she wishes she were dead and drops the charges just to have some peace.  And because your a big football star you can do almost anything you want and people will just turn their back.  Any normal person would spend a couple of months or years in jail, speaking of consequences, but not you football god.  Winning a child's game is far too important for society to let you to face of consequences of your actions.  See how I turned that around? We both think that the woman deserved consequences, but both you and I agree that the guy who hospitalized her shouldnt face up because she deserved it.  And heck he plays football, which is really really incredibly beneficial to everyone. 

I respect that.  That's how I want to live.  Everyone should live that way.  Its great to be bigger and have absolutely no control over your emotions or respect for anyone else's well being.

If you realize you are in the minority, you should expect that most people will disagree with you and live with it.  But like I said, I'm on your side.

2 hours ago, dmsleight said:

Seahawks draft Mike Tyson!  Seriously... 3 safeties?  They have the best safety tandem.  A safety net? Maybe but there are big needs!  2 of 8 picks for O and only one for OL.  I know that Carrol is D obsessed, but come on man!

Remove the O-line problem and Seattle's offense is just fine.  Franchise QB, good running back attack, Baldwin, Lockette, Kearse (yeah, he had a bad year last year but look at the years previous.  Had they won the SB about the Pats his catch would have been on every highlight reel for the foreseeable future) and Richardson at receiver, Jimmt playing TE... their offense is pretty stacked.  And I still maintain that drafting O-linemen is a huge risk.  The vast majority of them don't transition to the NFL style very quickly, if at all.  Also, under the Carroll/Schneider regime, no team has drafted more O-linemen than Seattle, and look how that worked.  Keeping the guys they have now together and letting some continuity form really seems like their best bet.  Having a rookie or two there to develop doesn't hurt but there just didn't really seem to be any plug-in-and-play guys available this year.  If anything, I bet the market spike for O--lineman caught them way off guard and completely FUBAR'd any plans they had to the point of just throwing their arms in the air and screaming "F--K IT!!"

Defensively, however, they really need some depth.  Sherm's gonna be on his last year and the odds of him coming back next year are looking pretty slim.  Same with Kam.  Shead's hurt.  Earl's coming off of a serious injury, Bennett and Avril are aging and need some young talent to rotate with.  Time is really starting to catch up with that D and restocking isn't a bad idea.

8 hours ago, dmsleight said:

Come at you?  I was agreeing with you.  Someone gives you a hard time you break their face.  Anyone should agree that's what mature adults do.  Shows class, civility, personal strength, character and just good human decency.  Breaking the face of a woman is completely commendable if she says anything to make you angry.  If she pushes you, all the better.  In fact, she probably got off easy.  Then, when she presses charges, you and all your friends and family (and anyone who worships football above all) can harass her and threaten her life until she wishes she were dead and drops the charges just to have some peace.  And because your a big football star you can do almost anything you want and people will just turn their back.  Any normal person would spend a couple of months or years in jail, speaking of consequences, but not you football god.  Winning a child's game is far too important for society to let you to face of consequences of your actions.  See how I turned that around? We both think that the woman deserved consequences, but both you and I agree that the guy who hospitalized her shouldnt face up because she deserved it.  And heck he plays football, which is really really incredibly beneficial to everyone. 

I respect that.  That's how I want to live.  Everyone should live that way.  Its great to be bigger and have absolutely no control over your emotions or respect for anyone else's well being.

If you realize you are in the minority, you should expect that most people will disagree with you and live with it.  But like I said, I'm on your side.

When did I say he didn't deserve consequences? Last time I checked he was banned from playing college football for a year, was excoriated by the damn media and people like you for the last four years, and paid her who knows how much for a civil settlement. Let it go already, stop bringing it up; his record has been clean since so why are we still talking about this? If Mixon had gotten into a fight with a 120-pound 5'2 man who made the same decisions as the woman that day we wouldn't have ever talked about this but once on the day of the actual incident. When did I say him having played football had to do with anything, or that you should be threatening anybody? I am not sure where you pulled any of that information. If you don't see the clear double standard here get off your high horse and come back to reality. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, skidmarkgn said:

Remove the O-line problem and Seattle's offense is just fine.  Franchise QB, good running back attack, Baldwin, Lockette, Kearse (yeah, he had a bad year last year but look at the years previous.  Had they won the SB about the Pats his catch would have been on every highlight reel for the foreseeable future) and Richardson at receiver, Jimmt playing TE... their offense is pretty stacked.

Baldwin and Graham (final year and not likely to return) aren't getting any younger.  lockette is coming off a serious injury.  Willson left in FA.  Kearse looked like a frightened rookie all year and with how consistently awful he was, I see little hope of improvement..  they have a slew of capable RBs, but none of them has any consistency.  One week one will stand out and the next can't even get to the line of scrimmage.  The same reasons you gave to defend the D picks are the same or even bigger issues on O.  Baldwin and Wilson are the only true pillars (the D has several!).   The D is stacked and just in need of depth.   The way I see it, after next year, the TE and WR situation will be desperate and RBs, if they repeat like last year, will be very questionable.  I haven't even said anything about OL.  So the O needs starters now and in the near future, not just depth.

Honestly, the problem I really have with the draft is 3 safeties.  Baring something crazy, at least 2 of them are likely practice squad. Not a great use of picks. 

Regarding OL, I think the it wouldnt have been so bad off (some aspects anyway) if they had TEs that fit their system.  Graham never belonged and trying to fit him and through off the system just to get him the ball.

12 hours ago, Lithium_Lemon said:

stop bringing it up;

I didn't, you did.

why are we still talking about this?

previous answer

If Mixon had gotten into a fight with a 120-pound 5'2 man who made the same decisions

he didn't

and people like you for the last four years

Other than this board, I have never made any statement about him to any human being alive or dead, not even to a creature or inanimate object.

was excoriated by the damn media

thats what happens when public figures do bad things, especially when they don't find justice. Nobody cares what happens in the ghetto or trailer park, etc. The public does feels vindicated when such people are served justice, btw.  Before you mention the settlement, that is revenge/recompense not justice (although the public often feel some vindication there).

13 hours ago, Lithium_Lemon said:

When did I say he didn't deserve consequences? Last time I checked he was banned from playing college football for a year, was excoriated by the damn media and people like you for the last four years, and paid her who knows how much for a civil settlement. Let it go already, stop bringing it up; his record has been clean since so why are we still talking about this? If Mixon had gotten into a fight with a 120-pound 5'2 man who made the same decisions as the woman that day we wouldn't have ever talked about this but once on the day of the actual incident. When did I say him having played football had to do with anything, or that you should be threatening anybody? I am not sure where you pulled any of that information. If you don't see the clear double standard here get off your high horse and come back to reality. 

29 minutes ago, dmsleight said:

I didn't, you did.

previous answer

he didn't

Other than this board, I have never made any statement about him to any human being alive or dead, not even to a creature or inanimate object.

thats what happens when public figures do bad things, especially when they don't find justice. Nobody cares what happens in the ghetto or trailer park, etc. The public does feels vindicated when such people are served justice, btw.  Before you mention the settlement, that is revenge/recompense not justice (although the public often feel some vindication there).

Fellas, relax. Otherwise you're going to get the attention of a moderator and have this long thread shut down. You've both made your points.

Would it have been this big a story without video? Would it have been as big a story if it didn't involve a female?

Bottom line is, nobody is going to be correct when you try and rationalize drunk people's behavior at 2 a.m. 

5 hours ago, dmsleight said:

Baldwin and Graham (final year and not likely to return) aren't getting any younger.  lockette is coming off a serious injury.  Willson left in FA.  Kearse looked like a frightened rookie all year and with how consistently awful he was, I see little hope of improvement..  they have a slew of capable RBs, but none of them has any consistency.  One week one will stand out and the next can't even get to the line of scrimmage.  The same reasons you gave to defend the D picks are the same or even bigger issues on O.  Baldwin and Wilson are the only true pillars (the D has several!).   The D is stacked and just in need of depth.   The way I see it, after next year, the TE and WR situation will be desperate and RBs, if they repeat like last year, will be very questionable.  I haven't even said anything about OL.  So the O needs starters now and in the near future, not just depth.

Honestly, the problem I really have with the draft is 3 safeties.  Baring something crazy, at least 2 of them are likely practice squad. Not a great use of picks. 

Regarding OL, I think the it wouldnt have been so bad off (some aspects anyway) if they had TEs that fit their system.  Graham never belonged and trying to fit him and through off the system just to get him the ball.

I'd be amazed if they didn't re-sign Baldwin.  He's as dependable as they come, not showing any sign of decline, and is the locker room leader.  I also could have sworn Willson tested the market, couldn't get a deal and came back.  Lockette is young enough that I'm more confident in him bouncing back than Earl, despite the work ethic Thomas is known for.  Richardson also had a breakout year after Lockette went down so hopefully he'll pick up where he left off.  Kearse's biggest problem last year was Wilson forcing the ball to him constantly in the red zone but I'm willing to forgive a bad year after the amount of big plays he's given us.  If he repeats then sure, there's a problem.  The only real issue (in my eyes) is the O-line and I've already explained my feelings about that.

16 minutes ago, skidmarkgn said:

I'd be amazed if they didn't re-sign Baldwin.  He's as dependable as they come, not showing any sign of decline, and is the locker room leader.  I also could have sworn Willson tested the market, couldn't get a deal and came back.  Lockette is young enough that I'm more confident in him bouncing back than Earl, despite the work ethic Thomas is known for.  Richardson also had a breakout year after Lockette went down so hopefully he'll pick up where he left off.  Kearse's biggest problem last year was Wilson forcing the ball to him constantly in the red zone but I'm willing to forgive a bad year after the amount of big plays he's given us.  If he repeats then sure, there's a problem.  The only real issue (in my eyes) is the O-line and I've already explained my feelings about that.

Sorry, the final year was only meant for Graham.  Baldwin is lockup till 2020, and a pillar, as I mentioned.  I just checked, you were right, Willson has a one year deal (he fits well, I'm surprised they didn't go longer).  Somehow forgot he came back.  Richardson has a high ceiling if he can get consistent. 

I recall drives all too often ending with a play to Kearse.  He had 41 rec, but 90! targets.  He couldn't get open and couldnt catch even when he was.  He was rated among the very worst in WR last year.  If he doesn't show up this year, his contract makes him very easy to cut (save $5M).

TE will have to be a focus next year.  Bennett would have been a very good fit (not at a Sea price though).

6 hours ago, dmsleight said:

I recall drives all too often ending with a play to Kearse.  He had 41 rec, but 90! targets.  He couldn't get open and couldnt catch even when he was.  He was rated among the very worst in WR last year.  If he doesn't show up this year, his contract makes him very easy to cut (save $5M).

There's been a few times where a drive has ended with a play to Kearse on the positive side too (remember the NFC title game against Green Bay or the free play against the 9ers the year before orthe circus catch that put them in the red zone against the Pats the year after).  I'm more than willing to admit he was a disaster last year, especially in the red zone where for some insane reason Wilson would fixate on him instead of Graham but the dude has also been extremely clutch over the years.  I put a lot of his problematic year on Wilson too.  Yeah, Wilson would often put the ball right in his hands and Kearse would screw it up but more often than not Russ had no business throwing it to him in the first place.  Seems like every time a play screamed "JIMMY!" Wilson would go to Kearse instead.  Can't remember how many times Jimmy was one on one and Wilson completely ignored him in favor of Kearse or Baldwin, very surprised Jimmy didn't crawl up his ass about too.