National Football League Thread

cmgravekeeper

14 hours ago, I Am Error said:

Seems one tv station in Cincinnati is wanting fans to boycott home games for the signing of Joe Mixon http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2017/05/01/cincinnati-tv-station-urges-boycott-of-bengals/

Sports fans, especially football fans, are sheep.  Nothing will come of this.  The only cardinal sin is leaving the hometown.

On another front,  Ken Griffey Jr. Jr. is a pro NFL player.  Trey got signed by the colts.  Long shot to get any significant field time, but he's their tallest receiver.

On 5/3/2017 at 5:13 PM, KingCuervo88 said:

hmm...instead of 3 RB i would have preferred at least one more defensive player... it's not fun crying whenever they take the field 

Yeah I thought that was really weird as well, but hey, if at least two of them are great then that's good. But yeah they shouldn't have to depend on Rodger's miracle plays more than once a season to make up what's lacking on the defense lol

5 hours ago, I Am Error said:

"Cutler would a great cure for insomniacs he’s so dull and sour faced." Pffffff hahahahahaha

Being a Hall of Famer hardly qualifies one as being capable of being good at announcing.

I thought Trent Dilfer was very good behind a microphone. Bill Walsh was awful. Howard Cosell was awsome.....OJ Simpson was horrible.

I'm having a hard time imagining Cutler as being successful as an announcer or color man.

Cutler, as a QB, had a golden arm and a 10 cent head. He consistently made bad decisions ... often winging it out there rather than sticking to the game plan or what the play called for.

A real coach killer along the lines of Jeff George.

Perhaps he'll strive to be controversial......throwing former teammates under the bus just to garner attention.

He's just too plain stupid to be interesting.

Romo, on the other hand, is smart, hard working, and coachable. I'm looking forward to his broadcasts.

On 5/7/2017 at 10:20 PM, PsychicVibe said:

Being a Hall of Famer hardly qualifies one as being capable of being good at announcing.

I guess not. Just seems weird to me. I don't know if I even pay attention to it most of the time, though. Out of all the football games I've watched over the years, I can only name a few. Madden, Aikman, Simms, and Joe Buck. They could have monkeys doing the broadcasts, for all I care. I'd still watch. :P 

4 hours ago, DamagingRob said:

They could have monkeys doing the broadcasts, for all I care. I'd still watch. :P 

I recall a broadcast of a Canadian Football League game broadcast several years back where they didn't bother with an annoucer crew at all; instead of the PBP guy and the color commentator, they simply had microphones picking up crowd noise and the Public Address Announcer, almost as if you were watching the game in-stadium without the benefit of television or radio (except that you were watching it on television).

Not only was it rather well-received, but I believe the ratings for that game were pretty darned good as well.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, acasser said:

I recall a broadcast of a Canadian Football League game broadcast several years back where they didn't bother with an annoucer crew at all; instead of the PBP guy and the color commentator, they simply had microphones picking up crowd noise and the Public Address Announcer, almost as if you were watching the game in-stadium without the benefit of television or radio (except that you were watching it on television).

Not only was it rather well-received, but I believe the ratings for that game were pretty darned good as well.

The NFL tried that one time in the 1980's 

On 5/9/2017 at 9:32 AM, acasser said:

I recall a broadcast of a Canadian Football League game broadcast several years back where they didn't bother with an annoucer crew at all;

This sounds like my perfect kind of broadcast of NFL xD

that problem aside they will be pressed to finish the stadium in time.  On a related anecdote, a number of years ago some clients had some pretty elaborate and rather strange ideas for remodeling their kitchen.  So I asked my boss, "can we do that?'  To which he said, "with enough money you can do anything."  So the project could be hurried in time for the season, but at a cost.

9 hours ago, dmsleight said:

So Carroll is considering Kaep and RG3.  Makes sense.  They don't really have a backup and they need someone very mobile.  Hopefully they don't end up needing a backup

Oi, what a tough situation for fans.  Guess it depends on what type of fan you are, you can either look at his #'s last year and see he was actually pretty good and welcome him to the system (not to mention rubbing it into 9ers fans' faces that "their guy" is now backing up "our guy") and make the football decision, or you can remember how much you hated him and, (I know not everyone hated the anthem protest) his actions last year and stick to your guns.  Tough choice.

Imagine if the "tip" statue actually becomes a real thing, even though I'm pretty sure it's already been shot down.  But, just imagine the statue gets unveiled with Kaep on the sidelines as Wilson's backup.

13 hours ago, dmsleight said:

So Carroll is considering Kaep and RG3.  Makes sense.  They don't really have a backup and they need someone very mobile.  Hopefully they don't end up needing a backup

This sounds to me like the floating of a trial balloon.  The GM and Head Coach up there have a good working relationship, so I wouldn't be surprised if John Schneider went to Pete Carroll and asked him to say something to the media and get it out there so they could gauge the reaction of the fans to these ideas.  This way, if the fan base is going to riot over the idea of bringing in Collin Kaepernick, better to have it done this way without signing the guy.  RG3's name is just thrown in there to provide a little more smoke to cover the idea.

But I'm a cynic.  And I see conspiracy theories everywhere.

Just because I'm paranoid doesn't mean everybody isn't out to get me. 

2 hours ago, acasser said:

This sounds to me like the floating of a trial balloon.  The GM and Head Coach up there have a good working relationship, so I wouldn't be surprised if John Schneider went to Pete Carroll and asked him to say something to the media and get it out there so they could gauge the reaction of the fans to these ideas.  This way, if the fan base is going to riot over the idea of bringing in Collin Kaepernick, better to have it done this way without signing the guy.  RG3's name is just thrown in there to provide a little more smoke to cover the idea.

But I'm a cynic.  And I see conspiracy theories everywhere.

Just because I'm paranoid doesn't mean everybody isn't out to get me. 

So far the reaction seems to be overwhelmingly positive... which I never would have expected.

I was just saying it would be ironic if the Seahawks added RG.  "They" nearly ended his career and then they give him a chance to sustain it.

6 hours ago, skidmarkgn said:

So far the reaction seems to be overwhelmingly positive... which I never would have expected.

The locker room certainly supports him.  Newage/hippie/semiantiesblishment leaning Seattlelites would be less offended by Kaep than most.