National Football League Thread

cmgravekeeper

14 minutes ago, Avatar_Of_Battle said:

Losing how? Injury?

Out of the sunday games I usually only get to see 2-3 of them. And I seldom come across info online unless I happen upon it scrolling through the news.

yeah all 4 got injured and it's being reported Odell has a broken fibula, Harris has fractured foot, other 2 have ankle injuries 

OBJ out for the year.

Vegas odds have re-opened on the possibility that Giants coach Ben McAdoo could be fired this year.

The sports book Bovada lists odds for McAdoo being fired before Week 17 at +110 Yes (11/10) vs. -150 No (2/3). While yes is still the clear underdog, the possibility is most definitely on the board.

Anyone who missed the Chargers/Giants game......good choice. A poorly played game between two deservedly winless teams. Manning was sacked five times......a two point conversion was missed after a delay of game penalty...extra points on both sides were good when the ball hit the post and tumbled through. Passes to wide open receivers were wildly off.

The Chargers didn't win the game.......so much as they just sucked less than the Giants.

Good lord what a stressful game!!  Can't even begin to express how impressed I am with Seattle's defense today, especially towards the end when the offense couldn't do anything... again.  Well done guys.

And a tip of the cap to the Rams, still a tough ass team and the future looks bright for 'em.  Was skeptical during the beginning of the season but they almoooooooooooooost got me convinced.  Still need to see how they perform against a few more top defenses, like Houston.

Of all the teams that blew games late in the 4th quarter today, why couldn't the Jets have been one of them?  I mean, the standings credit the Jets with a win, but the Browns beat themselves every bit as much as the Jets beat them.  A missed FG, two turnovers inside the Jets 10, an insipid playcall on 4th and 2 from roughly the same spot that was effectively begging to fail, et cetera, et cetera, et cetera.  The Jets offense was largely woeful, no matter what Josh McCown's passing numbers said, only the Browns out-sucked the Jets.

3 hours ago, Avatar_Of_Battle said:

I just saw that a few minutes ago watching the Packers/Cowboys. A blow to the Giants for sure. 

The Giants were already done.  The fork was already stuck in them.  The Beckham injury is simply adding insult to injury at this stage.  Although I'm surprised that OBJ didn't break his ankle while shoving his foot into his big, fat mouth.

3 hours ago, PsychicVibe said:
Vegas odds have re-opened on the possibility that Giants coach Ben McAdoo could be fired this year.

The sports book Bovada lists odds for McAdoo being fired before Week 17 at +110 Yes (11/10) vs. -150 No (2/3). While yes is still the clear underdog, the possibility is most definitely on the board.

Bet "no".  The Giants are an ultra-conservative organization that simply doesn't do that sort of thing, and they almost certainly won't do in-season even it if there's a locker room mutiny and players quitting on the team.  After the season is another matter, but the Giants have had one coach who didn't get a lengthy tenure (Ray Handley) and the solution to this issue isn't that hard -- the Giants can back up the truck and offload a lot of these malcontents and perhaps encourage Eli Manning to retire or to accept a trade somewhere.

Speaking of that last, it's something I'd think about if I were running the Saints.  I'd call up Arizona on the sly and offer them Drew Brees for a future #1.

1 minute ago, Hank Hill said:

yeah that did not look good, i just hope it isn't that bad "fingers crossed"

Looked to me like an ankle AND knee sprain. Neither severe.

Hopefully he'll be back in six to eight weeks.

Hate to see it happen to such a great guy. Godspeed JJ.

2 hours ago, PsychicVibe said:

Looked to me like an ankle AND knee sprain. Neither severe.

Hopefully he'll be back in six to eight weeks.

Hate to see it happen to such a great guy. Godspeed JJ.

Agree. JJ's injury looked like a rug burn compared to career ending plays suffered by players like Tim Krumrie or Napoleon McCallum. 

• Like 1

Our discussion is settled: https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/colin-kaepernick-says-hes-willing-to-go-anywhere-for-another-nfl-shot/

Seattle's D doing what it always does in the redzone, pucker up tight.  A combination of brilliance, luck, and stoutness on D got the job done.  I really hope that Carroll will turn the offense around...  Not holding my breath.  Of course they will pull it together in Dec like always, but it would be nice to see (or read about rather) them play well now.

6 hours ago, dmsleight said:

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/cowboys-owner-jerry-jones-players-who-disrespect-the-flag-wont-be-allowed-to-play/

Anyone really think that he would forfeit because his team knelt?  Bluff!

I don't think he'd go so far as a forfeit, but I definitely think he'd make an example out of a player or three and order Jason Garrett to sit them out.  I don't know if he's going out on this particular limb because he's a maverick or if he's wandering out there because he licked his finger and stuck it up in the air (and he's in Texas) and discovered the proportion of fans who continue to be outraged at anthem protests is a lot larger than people thought it would be.  But Jerry Jones also strikes me as one of the few executives/Owners and power brokers in this League who isn't intimidated by the players and scared of what they might do if you look at said players cross-eyed and deprive them of their milk and cookies and their naps and binkies.

And it's a shame.  The League could have short-circuited this 14 months ago if Roger Goodell had invoked the Game Operations Manual on Colin Kaepernick when the first protest happened.  I'm not saying that he had to fine Kaep or suspend Kaep or even call him out publicly, but a quiet warning with the caveat that if it happened again the consequences would be "large fine and public shaming" and a third violation would be "even larger fine and a suspension" would have nipped this in the bud way back when.  And considering all the other penny-ante bullshit Goodell has made a priority of his time and energy?

• Like 1

12 hours ago, dmsleight said:

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/cowboys-owner-jerry-jones-players-who-disrespect-the-flag-wont-be-allowed-to-play/

Anyone really think that he would forfeit because his team knelt?  Bluff!

Wasn't he himself Kneeling at the start of the year?  Or am I remembering wrong?  Seriously, this whole situation has me not knowing which way is up anymore.  Especially when it comes to Jerry Jones, the most headliningest chaser of them all.

16 minutes ago, skidmarkgn said:

Wasn't he himself Kneeling at the start of the year?  Or am I remembering wrong?  Seriously, this whole situation has me not knowing which way is up anymore.  Especially when it comes to Jerry Jones, the most headliningest chaser of them all.

He knelt with his team one game before the national anthem, and then stood for the anthem itself. 

2 hours ago, PsychicVibe said:

I wonder who will score more..........

1. Vikings
  2. Bears
  3. Yankees
  4. Indians

Bradford looks like the Origami Quarterback........any pressure and he folds right up.

Bradford was obviously not 100%... Keenum could be a starter for a couple of teams...Trubisky can throw while moving, a nice asset in this league. He looked good, made rookie mistake with pick. Too bad the Bears are weak in a wide array of other positions so Trubisky will be stuck making up for deficiencies. 

On 10/8/2017 at 6:57 PM, acasser said:

Of all the teams that blew games late in the 4th quarter today, why couldn't the Jets have been one of them?  I mean, the standings credit the Jets with a win, but the Browns beat themselves every bit as much as the Jets beat them.  A missed FG, two turnovers inside the Jets 10, an insipid playcall on 4th and 2 from roughly the same spot that was effectively begging to fail, et cetera, et cetera, et cetera.  The Jets offense was largely woeful, no matter what Josh McCown's passing numbers said, only the Browns out-sucked the Jets.

The Giants were already done.  The fork was already stuck in them.  The Beckham injury is simply adding insult to injury at this stage.  Although I'm surprised that OBJ didn't break his ankle while shoving his foot into his big, fat mouth.

Bet "no".  The Giants are an ultra-conservative organization that simply doesn't do that sort of thing, and they almost certainly won't do in-season even it if there's a locker room mutiny and players quitting on the team.  After the season is another matter, but the Giants have had one coach who didn't get a lengthy tenure (Ray Handley) and the solution to this issue isn't that hard -- the Giants can back up the truck and offload a lot of these malcontents and perhaps encourage Eli Manning to retire or to accept a trade somewhere.

Speaking of that last, it's something I'd think about if I were running the Saints.  I'd call up Arizona on the sly and offer them Drew Brees for a future #1.

I'm just wondering, why should the Cards send a 1st round pick for a 39 yr old QB when they have a 37 yr old QB already. I mean its not like the cards are super bowl contenders anyways, besides Brees is going down the route of Peyton and will more than likely be useless next year.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Kubanga said:

I'm just wondering, why should the Cards send a 1st round pick for a 39 yr old QB when they have a 37 yr old QB already. I mean its not like the cards are super bowl contenders anyways, besides Brees is going down the route of Peyton and will more than likely be useless next year.

Completely agree. Cards, Saints, Giants, Steelers, Chargers and Jets should all be thinking about who will be their QB of the future......all have aging QB's with no "franchise" type QB as a backup.

1 hour ago, Hank Hill said:

So what's People's opinion on Trubisky after his 1st game?

Highly accurate, strong armed passer. Mobile......good pocket awareness. Yes, he should have not thrown that last interception; like any rookie quarterback, there will be some grooming that needs to be done along the way. All in all, this was a pretty impressive debut for the young passer.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Hank Hill said:

So what's People's opinion on Trubisky after his 1st game?

Thought he did good, but his offensive line kept getting in the way by making stupid mistakes and penalties. Doesn't matter who the QB is if the offense keeps doing dumb shit like that.

Adrian Peterson is now with the Cardinals. Wonder if he'll be a better fit there.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000859508/article/saints-trade-rb-adrian-peterson-to-cardinals

On 10/9/2017 at 2:14 AM, Chansey said:

Just as bad is that Mercilus is out for the season as well. :facepalm:

ffs just as our offensive starts looking decent for the first time in 5 years and this shit happens. I had high hopes for the game. We've been on an upswing each week and I thought we had a shot at winning. Both guys out on the opening drive. Talk about deflating. 

@PerryToxtethWe had Keenum a few seasons ago. He came in when others got hurt, played well, benched him when they recovered. Traded him off, then grabbed him the next year when people got hurt again. Again, he played well and looked better than what we had but they tossed him at the first opportunity. Maybe the coaches see something in practice or something. He's a little guy, shorter than Wilson iirc, but there are definitely teams out there now starting worse QBs.

Edited by Hemiak
  • Like 1