National Football League Thread

cmgravekeeper

16 hours ago, Kubanga said:

I'm just wondering, why should the Cards send a 1st round pick for a 39 yr old QB when they have a 37 yr old QB already. I mean its not like the cards are super bowl contenders anyways, besides Brees is going down the route of Peyton and will more than likely be useless next year.

Arizona is at the end of their competitive window with the current roster.  Carson Palmer has clearly regressed; ignore the optically pleasing Passing Yardage number and focus on the general decline in play, the increase in turnovers, and the ton of sacks he takes.

The NFC West is a winnable division this year; the Rams probably aren't there yet, and listening to @skidmarkgn and @dmsleight convinces me that Seattle is a flawed team as well (even if they probably are the divisional favorite).  So the division is there for the taking, and I think Arizona could potentially pull it out with a QB upgrade.  Drew Brees would be an upgrade for this year, and he's a free agent after that and free to walk away -- his contract doesn't permit him to be franchised again this summer.  Brees doesn't turn the ball over as frequently, and he's a lot faster getting the ball out of his hands and therefore not taking sacks.

It's not like the Saints are going anywhere.  Even with Brees, they're probably just a 7-9 team for the fourth straight year.  If the Saints want to rebuild and start contending again anytime soon, they need to bottom out.  As for Arizona, this could be the one last swing at it all before Larry Fitzgerald rides off into the sunset and perhaps Bruce Arians with him.  If nothing else, Drew Brees can probably keep them afloat better than Carson can while they wait for their running game to fix itself.

Then again, this is a complete outsider's view.

acasser-

In the words of the great John McEnroe..."YOU CANNOT BE SERIOUS!" :facepalm:

In Bruce Arians' system, Brees would be a clear DOWNGRADE over Palmer. Instead, Arizona should be looking for a running back that can and wants to carry the load.

New Orleans has such a running back who is a poor fit to their system. His name is Adrian Peterson.

Oh .... they made that trade this morning.....for a conditional pick.

The Saints believe they can compete with an improved defense this year. And there is still time for Arizona to take control of the NFC West. The idea that a team needs to "bottom out" before rebuilding, or "tank it" for draft picks, is FOOL'S GOLD! All you are doing is reinforcing a culture of losing.

Instead, you want to build a culture of winning. Every year the Patriots are competitive........every year the Browns suck. Its embedded in their culture.

My Week 6  2017-18 NFL Tips

Panthers over Eagles 

Falcons over Dolphins 

Ravens over Bears 

Texans over Browns

Saints over Lions

Packers over Vikings

Patriots over Jets

Redskins over 49ers

Jags over Rams

Bucs over Cardinals 

Chiefs over Steelers 

Raiders over Chargers 

Broncos over Giants 

Titans over Colts

19 hours ago, dmsleight said:

Rough go for Kueckly.  The guy might want to think about a new career.  He's great, but your health is more important than playing.

Yeah, I know he's a great player but all these concussions and he's had some that's kept him out multiple games too in the past 

So the 49ers did this stunning move today https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/49ers-surprisingly-cut-navorro-bowman-here-are-five-landing-spots-that-make-sense/

Edited by Hank Hill

26 minutes ago, skidmarkgn said:

If Rodgers is indeed out for the season the NFC just got wiiiiiiiiiide open.  Come to think of it, outside of the Chiefs in the AFC is there really a team that just looks straight dominate?

Philadelphia might be that team. Their O and D lines are perhaps the best in the game right now.

The times are a-changing.....relatively new QB's are in the process of taking over the league from the old guys.

Even if the Chiefs win the Super Bowl, I wouldn't expect them to re-sign Alex Smith.

43 minutes ago, PsychicVibe said:

I wouldn't expect them to re-sign Alex Smith.

Even Smith doesn't expect to be resigned.

I expected more from the ravens.  Every time I start to get confident in certain teams, they flop and team I think are junk flip.  Crazy season.

Huge comeback happening in NO.  Saints and Brees are choking  (oops, spoke too soon)

Edited by dmsleight

Bears beating Ravens

Dolphins coming from 17-0 to beat Falcons

just amazing results

So if Packers sign a qb whilst Rodgers is out, i wonder who they'll sign :hmm:, i can imgaine all the Kap supporters will be saying sign him

1 hour ago, dmsleight said:

Every time I start to get confident in certain teams, they flop and team I think are junk flip.  Crazy season.

Cue the Cardinals, Saints and possibly the Steelers, lol.

On another note, Tony Romo... as the Cowboys QB, the guy bugged me to no end (and I'll totally admit I'm biased with Cowboy hate) but as a commentator, absolutely love him!!  He's really really good.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, skidmarkgn said:

If Rodgers is indeed out for the season the NFC just got wiiiiiiiiiide open.  Come to think of it, outside of the Chiefs in the AFC is there really a team that just looks straight dominate?

I'm going to amend one of my suggestions from not too far above:  If I were New Orleans, and I could find a way to make the cap mathematics work (and I'm not sure there is), I'd offer Drew Brees to the Packers for a high draft pick.  I still think New Orleans' record at the moment is "fools gold" and that the team badly needs a complete rebuild.  I'm not sure Drew Brees is even going to be there beyond this season.  So why not cash him in and try to fleece a potentially desperate Green Bay team, because the difference between Drew Brees and Green Bay's backups is probably a playoff berth?

2 hours ago, PsychicVibe said:

Even if the Chiefs win the Super Bowl, I wouldn't expect them to re-sign Alex Smith.

I believe Alex Smith is under contract for next season.  The logical move is for Kansas City to trade Smith to a QB-needy team and recoup some of the draft capital they used to move up in the first place.  But it also takes Smith to cooperate, because a contract extension probably has to be part of any trade.

5 minutes ago, acasser said:

I believe Alex Smith is under contract for next season.  The logical move is for Kansas City to trade Smith to a QB-needy team and recoup some of the draft capital they used to move up in the first place.  But it also takes Smith to cooperate, because a contract extension probably has to be part of any trade.

You are correct on that. I just wonder who would want him?

They'd have to fire Sean Payton before they could trade Drew Brees. Its just not going to happen. The fact is that the Saints defense (which scored three times today) is vastly improved and makes the Saints, especially this year, a real possibility for the playoffs. You just don't trade that away.

This is the era of the young, mobile and cost-effective quarterback. Nowadays, if I want to spend money on veteran players, I'll do it for offensive lineman.

2 hours ago, PsychicVibe said:

You are correct on that. I just wonder who would want him?

Plenty of teams will want him.  The Chiefs will have no problem manufacturing a market for Alex Smith's services come February, because there simply aren't enough quality quarterbacks to go around this League.  The issue becomes whether or not those teams will be willing to pony up the necessary contract extension that Alex Smith will want as a result.

Just for starters, I could see three separate AFC East teams interested in his services, depending of course on things such as how particular QBs develop this season, where teams end up drafting, et cetera.

1 hour ago, PsychicVibe said:

Colin Kapernick has hired high profile attorney Mark Garagos and has filed a lawsuit alleging collusion by the NFL owners.

His NFL career is now without a doubt over.

He can allege collusion all he wants.  The problem is proving it, and I don't see how he does that if he's going to base his case on Donald Trump's comments -- Kaepernick was unemployed for a long time before then, not to mention that several teams have gone out of their way to demonstrate that they are anti-Trump.  Collusion is a rather high legal bar to hurdle and the evidence usually has to be thorough.

I have a difficult time believing that the League itself colluded against Kaepernick given how they've bent over backwards to not enforce their own Game Operations Manual and in effect condoned Kaep's protest and those of sympathetic players.  On the other hand, I can believe that a number of individual teams have blackballed Kaep of their own voilition for reasons not related to football.  But the latter isn't collusion; that's an employer making a deliberate decision to not hire him for reasons not covered under anti-discrimation laws that I know of.

Not to mention, I'd like to hear Kaep's explanation for the Baltimore situation given he's never responded to Ray Lewis' comments about why the Ravens pulled their offer.

I won't say his career is over, because I'm a "never say never" sort of guy and it only takes one team to decide that they want to give the middle finger to the President (and a silent majority of Americans who seem to disapprove of what Kaep stands for if ratings and merchandise sales are an accurate indicator).  I just won't go on record as picking which team I think would be the one to hire him, even if you did put a gun to my head.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, PsychicVibe said:

Colin Kapernick has hired high profile attorney Mark Garagos and has filed a lawsuit alleging collusion by the NFL owners.

That's the worst sense of timing I can think of. Teams are getting more desperate for QBs, especially if they're in the hunt for the playoffs (i.e. Packers). His chance of being on a team improved with every week. Hell, he's from Wisconsin, the Packers might have taken a look at him. 

Instead, Kap opts to litigate a case which has an extremely low probability of winning. Unless he and his lawyer have a smoking gun memo from the league office, there's no way to prove the entire league blackballed him. 

28 minutes ago, PerryToxteth said:

That's the worst sense of timing I can think of. Teams are getting more desperate for QBs, especially if they're in the hunt for the playoffs (i.e. Packers). His chance of being on a team improved with every week. Hell, he's from Wisconsin, the Packers might have taken a look at him. 

Instead, Kap opts to litigate a case which has an extremely low probability of winning. Unless he and his lawyer have a smoking gun memo from the league office, there's no way to prove the entire league blackballed him. 

Absolutely agree. Extremely low probability of even getting a settlement offer.

What Kap has shown is that he lacks the common sense and good judgement to lead a team. Just last week he was quoted as saying he would stand for the anthem.

Now this. I doubt the CFL has any interest in him. One day he'll run out of money and then his radical girlfriend will leave him.......and then he will have nothing.

8 hours ago, PsychicVibe said:

Maybe he should try the CFL instead, since as you and everyone posted has said, bus NFL career is done and this lawsuit is just ridiculous 

Edited by Hank Hill

7 hours ago, dmsleight said:

A very pathetic week for me.  My worst ever 4-9...  A titan win makes it 4-10

ESPN on line has a feature "NFL expert picks."

Win totals for the "experts" for this week are as follows:

4 Bowen 

4 Clay

4 Golic

6 Graziano

4 Kerney

4 Kimes

6 Riddick

4 Seifert

5 Wickersham

So you have lots of company.

Every favorite in the late games lost. Favorites are 5-8 so far this week.

Surprises included Rogers going down......Chicago's OT win over Baltimore......Miami's comeback over Atlanta...Denver's collapse to the New York Giants.

Our own "Hank Hill" (jarethgeason) matched your win total for the week.

I feel very fortunate to have picked 7 correct for the week. (I have regrets about not picking PHL and PIT......but happy about picking AZ, NO and the RAMS).

Even with this "upset" week favorites are 48-43 so far this year.

Now I have no idea if the Seahawks should worry about the Giants next week?  I mean, there was always a concern because the Giants do have a pretty good pass rush, which is always a problem for Seattle, but everything else pointed to a relatively comfortable victory, right down to being in the Seahawks' 2nd favorite stadium.  But now, did the Giants wake up and figure something out (like making sure the Broncs had to rely solely on Semien's arm) or did Denver actually shit-the-bed that bad?  Or both?

Edited by skidmarkgn

55 minutes ago, skidmarkgn said:

Now I have no idea if the Seahawks should worry about the Giants next week?  I mean, there was always a concern because the Giants do have a pretty good pass rush, which is always a problem for Seattle, but everything else pointed to a relatively comfortable victory, right down to being in the Seahawks' 2nd favorite stadium.  But now, did the Giants wake up and figure something out (like making sure the Broncs had to rely solely on Semien's arm) or did Denver actually shit-the-bed that bad?  Or both?

It can be hard to tell from week to week how a team will perform in a league where 26 teams have two or three losses; and where last week two of the three good teams lost and one of the three bad teams won.

I know that when pressured, Semien often tends to slide laterally into the pressure rather than step up into the pocket. Wilson, on the other hand, is perhaps the most dynamic QB in the league in extending and creating plays. And I doubt Seattle is going to give up all those rushing yards that Denver did. Expect Seattle to stop the run and make Manning's life miserable. For me, this is one of the easier picks to make this week. Frankly, New York still sucks.

I also think that  New England will crush Atlanta. Not even close. And, of course, New Orleans will easily outscore Green Bay.

On the other hand, Arizona at LA Rams in London is a tough one, esp. with Arizona featuring AP. And Jacksonville at Indianapolis is interesting.......

Edited by PsychicVibe
in London

2 hours ago, skidmarkgn said:

The local take I got off radio today:  The Giants were better off this week without OBJ because it freed up the offense to do things that were likely to work -- running the football and spreading things around in the passing game instead of forcing everything to #13.  In particular, this allows the Giants to compensate for teams with good secondaries that are going to roll extra coverage towards Beckham knowing that he was going to see a lot of targets.  And the same might apply to Seattle because my long-distance view is that their defense isn't immensely different from Denver's, at least on the surface:  they rush the passer well, and they can cover on the back end.

On the other hand, I suspect that Russell Wilson and Seattle's offense is a lot better than Trevor Siemian and Denver's offense and that's going to be a difference to account for.  The Giants' offense only put up 16 points this week and it's been a long, ongoing problem that they simply don't score a ton.  If the Seahawks can put up points, I'm skeptical that the Giants can win a shootout or perhaps even remain in one.  On the other hand, if the Giants can find a way to effectively run the football, Seattle might have something to worry about.