National Football League Thread

cmgravekeeper

56 minutes ago, Hank Hill said:

Navorro Bowman signs with Oakland  http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/21044406/oakland-raiders-sign-navorro-bowman

And  who here believes Jets got hosed on that overturned td? I believe they did 

Bowman is still an effective run stopper....but struggled when the Niners switched to the 3-4.

And, yes, the Jets got absolutely hosed on that overturned TD. Did you see the Patriot defenders put their hands on the official? Should have been an unsportsmanlike conduct call tacked on, too. My God. Maybe even ejected. You are NEVER allowed to touch an official.

" Any player or team official who fights with another player or team official, leaves the bench to take part in a fight, intentionally makes contact with or assaults a game official, or uses any item of equipment as a weapon is automatically disqualified." (from wikipedia, my emphasis)

The Patriots, from Brady on down, love to whine to the officials and they just let it go. BTW, the Patriots defense stinks and is not playoff ready.

1 hour ago, Hank Hill said:

And  who here believes Jets got hosed on that overturned td? I believe they did 

I don't.  Once I saw the replays and heard the explanation as it came from the official (and from League HQ in NYC), I think the rule was adjudicated properly and applied properly.  If there's a problem and the Jets got "hosed", it's because the rule is either poorly written or instructs a situation contrary to "common sense" and all that crap.  I'm not wild about the outcome of the play, but I don't hold it against the officials or the League office.

As with the Dez Bryant non-catch from a playoffs past and the Megatron non-catch from a prominent MNF game from years past, it's a crummy rule.... but that's the rule.

1 minute ago, PsychicVibe said:

Did you see the Patriot defenders put their hands on the official? Should have been an unsportsmanlike conduct call tacked on, too. My God. Maybe even ejected. You are NEVER allowed to touch an official.

" Any player or team official who fights with another player or team official, leaves the bench to take part in a fight, intentionally makes contact with or assaults a game official, or uses any item of equipment as a weapon is automatically disqualified." (from wikipedia, my emphasis)

The Patriots, from Brady on down, love to whine to the officials and they just let it go. BTW, the Patriots defense stinks and is not playoff ready.

I'll be honest:  I wasn't watching the Pats defenders for what happened there.

Then again, we've seldom seen players ejected for that sort of thing, even though it's a rule and has been for a while now.  Referees are paranoid about "impacting the outcome of the game" or "damaging the integrity of the game" by invoking the DQ there.

That being said, if it did happen -- and I phrase it that way because I myself did not notice it -- tack on the penalty to the end of the play and give the Patriots the ball at their own 10 yard line.  That sort of Unsportsmanlike Conduct is a dead ball foul anyhow and doesn't overturn a play.

The fact is that the play on the field was ruled a TD.

Announcer Dan Fouts: “Totally disagree with the call,” he said. “One of the worst calls I’ve ever seen.”

NFL rules experts and former league vice president of officiating Mike Pereira also didn’t believe it was a fumble, stating he didn't think there was enough to overturn the play.

I'm with those two.

12 minutes ago, acasser said:

Then again, we've seldom seen players ejected for that sort of thing, even though it's a rule and has been for a while now.  Referees are paranoid about "impacting the outcome of the game" or "damaging the integrity of the game" by invoking the DQ there.

That just makes no sense at all, and is just plain wrong. The reason we seldom see players ejected for that sort of thing is because they don't do it knowing that it is an automatic ejection.

10 hours ago, skidmarkgn said:

Now I have no idea if the Seahawks should worry about the Giants next week?  I mean, there was always a concern because the Giants do have a pretty good pass rush, which is always a problem for Seattle, but everything else pointed to a relatively comfortable victory, right down to being in the Seahawks' 2nd favorite stadium.  But now, did the Giants wake up and figure something out (like making sure the Broncs had to rely solely on Semien's arm) or did Denver actually shit-the-bed that bad?  Or both?

Before Sunday, I was thinking that Seattle would have anice preseason warmup before the rest of the season.  Now...?

Likewise, Rams probably was my survivor pick before Card's seem to have found themselves. Now, I'm mulling Car and Jack.

16 hours ago, PsychicVibe said:

Even with this "upset" week favorites are 48-43 so far this year.

Somehow I managed 47-44

11 hours ago, PsychicVibe said:

The fact is that the play on the field was ruled a TD.

Announcer Dan Fouts: “Totally disagree with the call,” he said. “One of the worst calls I’ve ever seen.”

NFL rules experts and former league vice president of officiating Mike Pereira also didn’t believe it was a fumble, stating he didn't think there was enough to overturn the play.

I'm with those two.

Thank you, I was watching the fucking play as it happened.  Live.  I'm this thread's resident Jets fan, remember?

What Dan Fouts says doesn't matter worth a damn.  The same thing for the former League VPs of Officiating.  They're commentators; their job is to give an opinion and nothing more.

While it has never been stated publicly, it's probably a point of emphasis among the zebras to make the following calls if there is any doubt:  it's a TD, it's a turnover, the play is still "live".  The first two are so that the automatic replay kicks in with the intent to get the call right.  The third is not to screw things up with inadvertent whisltes and to let things play out.

It's a silly, oft-nonsensical rule that leads to clumsy situations and lousy consequences, but the rule was adjudicated properly.  There's no doubt that Austin Sefarian-Jenkins doesn't have full control of the ball, and the player said so himself after the game.  There's little doubt that he doesn't have complete control of the ball again until after he's hit the pylon and touched down out of bounds.  And the wording of the rule says that because he lost control in the endzone, it's a turnover and a touchback; whereas, if he lost control and touched down out-of-bounds at the Pats' 1 yard line, the Jets keep the ball.

The referee who made the call on the field was guided by two things.  The point of emphasis to call it a TD, and the fact that said referee couldn't see ASJ didn't have full control of the ball short of borrowing Superman's X-Ray vision because he had ASJ's back to him.  The League Office made the replay call pretty quickly, and they were very decisive in defending the call to the media and why it was made.  I think it was the right call.

And it also didn't "job" the Jets out of a game because there was plenty of time remaining after that.  The Jets' defense was having trouble most of the day slowing down the Patriots; I think Tom Brady and Company simply would have put their foot back on the gas if the Jets get seven points there and it wouldn't have mattered in the final outcome.

• Like 1

Andrew Luck suffered a setback in his attempt to comeback from shoulder surgery http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/21068176/andrew-luck-indianapolis-colts-shut-due-soreness-shoulder

Should The Colts consider shutting him down for the season?

The 2018 NFL Draft is going to be held in Dallas at AT&T Stadium http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/21063926/dallas-cowboys-host-2018-nfl-draft-att-stadium

Edited by Hank Hill

Wow, Cliff Avril might be forced to retire.  I figured he would miss a lot of time, and even the season seemed likely.  Nerve issues are serious.  Hope he can recover.

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/thousands-of-nfl-fans-sign-petition-demanding-that-packers-sign-colin-kaepernick/

Never gunna happen.  I'd bet they'd do open tryouts in the streets first.

On 17/10/2017 at 3:03 AM, PsychicVibe said:

Did you see the Patriot defenders put their hands on the official? Should have been an unsportsmanlike conduct call tacked on, too. My God. Maybe even ejected. You are NEVER allowed to touch an official

Last season, Earl Thomas made a Pick 6 vs Saints, he hugged the line ref and got flagged & fined even though it was just a sign of happiness and celebration.

Not sure why the Colts don't just put Luck on IR and call it a day. It's pretty clear he won't return this season.

1 hour ago, dmsleight said:

No way in hell after he's sued the league for no good reason.

Edited by Blissey

My Week 7 2017-18 Tips

Chiefs over Raiders 

Bills over Bucs 

Panthers over Bears

Titans over Browns 

Saints over Packers 

Jags over Colts

Cardinals over Rams 

Dolphins over Jets

Vikings over Ravens 

Cowboys over 49ers

Steelers over Bengals 

Broncos over Chargers

Seahawks over Giants 

Patriots over Falcons 

Eagles over Redskins

18 hours ago, dmsleight said:

Suspension/fine. Not smart

I'm definitely not defending him, he made a stupid choice and is now paying the price but man, the league (at least in my eyes and I know for sure in Psychicvibes eyes) sure looks bad when Lynch was ejected, suspended, and fined while Butler didn't even get a flag thrown.  I know "discretion" and whatever but seriously, show some damn consistency NFL.

22 hours ago, skidmarkgn said:

I'm definitely not defending him, he made a stupid choice and is now paying the price but man, the league (at least in my eyes and I know for sure in Psychicvibes eyes) sure looks bad when Lynch was ejected, suspended, and fined while Butler didn't even get a flag thrown.  I know "discretion" and whatever but seriously, show some damn consistency NFL.

The reason he got suspended is certainly due to the fact that he was not involved in the field of play. He was sitting on the sidelines and ran out and added to what was already a chaotic environment. If I recall correctly, last year Aaron Donald on the Rams put his hands on an official and was ejected but did not receive a suspension. However, he was already on the field when the incident occurred. I don't think I ever recall a player running from the bench to get involved in an altercation in the NFL. The NFL certainly should suspend Lynch because they do not want this to turn into baseball where everyone runs out onto to field. 

Edited by Lithium_Lemon

So... much... terrible... football.. two shutout losses, a Panthers team that put up 3, the Browns might actually win one ( in what's a compelling 9-9 tie)... and the afternoon games haven't even started yet.  Shhhhh, if you listen carefully, you can actually hear the ratings dropping.

Oh yeah, forgot about 2 more (albeit waaaaay too old to still be playing) QB's go down too.  I'm sure there was an entertaining game or two played today but they sure as hell weren't on my TV schedule.

Edited by skidmarkgn

2 minutes ago, skidmarkgn said:

So... much... terrible... football.. two shutout losses, a Panthers team that put up 3, the Browns might actually win one ( in what's a compelling 9-9 tie)... and the afternoon games haven't even started yet.  Shhhhh, if you listen carefully, you can actually hear the ratings dropping.

Bills vs. Bucs and Jets vs. Dolphins were very watchable games with lots of scoring and lead changes. Carolina scoring 3 was more a result of an impressive Bears defense.

You are right, though. That's why I have NFL Sunday Ticket.......so I'm not stuck watching TEN vs. CLE or ARZ vs. RAMS.

Now I'll get to watch your Seattle Seahawks battle the New York Giants. If that game proves to be a stinker I can always switch to another game.

Bears keep showing me that they are better than any body thought.  Still, Panthers? Whats you deal?

If Jets score, I guessed right on all the early games.  Well, except the loser Panthers.

Sorry Cleveland, even with Titans offense asleep in the hotel room, you still aren't better than them.

2 minutes ago, PsychicVibe said:

Now I'll get to watch your Seattle Seahawks battle the New York Giants. If that game proves to be a stinker I can always switch to another game.

Think you could dvr it for me?

So Bears win and Trubisky throws just 7 passes

Browns might have a qb controversy since today they put in the 3rd qb of the season

Arizona Cardinals season could be in big trouble if not done as Carson Palmer as he Broke his left arm and could miss 8 weeks to rest of season, if is season think he might retire?

dmsleight: sorry i do not have that technology.

John Fox's Bears do have a tremendous defense, and Carolina looks like a up this week down next week kind of team.

Miami is also better than anyone thought, They have two impressive comeback wins now. Cutler went down in the first half of the game.....the entire offense looked away and appeared to have cared less.

Hank Hill: yep Arizona is TOAST with Palmer out......time to join INDY in tanking it this year. Would not be surprised if this is the last year for Palmer and Arians. Arizona is old everywhere.

SF and CLE aren't tanking......they are actually trying to win.