National Football League Thread

cmgravekeeper

4 hours ago, PsychicVibe said:

Bills vs. Bucs and Jets vs. Dolphins were very watchable games with lots of scoring and lead changes.

Take it from your friendly, neighborhood Jets fan:  that Jets-Dolphins game was almost as bad as the field they played on, and that field was such a piece of garbage that I'm honestly surprised there weren't a couple of blown ACLs this afternoon.  And yet, I'm strangely satisfied with the game as it was, because the Jets played well (for a while) before the Jets went Jet'ing and coughed up the win.

I actually missed the final six (or so) minutes of the game because my Dispatcher called me out of the blue -- we had a client actually at work this afternoon putting together her shit for the morning and wanted someone to grab her trial boxes and have them downstate tomorrow morning.  Since I'm local to the office and most of our clients and usually picking up my phone on 24/7 call, guess who got rung with this one?  And guess who decided he'd just as soon satisfy the client (for this afternoon) immediately and decide if he wanted to re-watch the close on the DVR anyhow?

I mean, I'm a fan and normally I'd choose to watch the game to the bitter end.  But what I'm going to get paid for a Sunday pickup and an early Monday morning delivery made this a pretty easy choice, because I like getting paid and I like getting into a situation where my Dispatcher owes me one.  Because it's profitable.

• Like 1

acasser:

Yeah the field was bad.

I thought the game was pretty competitive. I watched it out here in Tucson via NFL Sunday Ticket. The fan reaction to Cutler going down was classic. There he is, on the ground, and not one Miami player around to ask if he's all right.

The Jets defense simply wore down in the 100 degree heat; Todd Bowles can coach defenses and the Jets defense was swarming early in the game.

Your Jets team really isn't that bad........it's the Giants that will tank.

Vegas now has McAdoo as the odds on favorite to be the first head coach fired this season. (My favorite is Chuck Pagano).

The Giants aren't going to fire Ben McAdoo in-season.  Given their past, I'm doubtful that they fire him at all, even if they go 3-13/4-12; they're simply too conservative a team with too conservative an Ownership with an extraordinarily lengthy history of not doing that.  They'll blame injuries for their woes, even though the real issue is twofold:  the Head Coach not holding certain guys accountable, and the General Manager putting together a flawed roster.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Hank Hill said:

What's there to learn?  The Bengals refuse to punish the guy in-house, I mean, didn't they just give him a 30-something million dollar extension not too long ago?  It's to the point where the league needs to step in and seriously just flush that turd.

Re: Vontaze Burfict, do you know what would be nice?  If some of the other NFL players opened up their mouths and spoke out about that shit and started voicing concern for Player Safety insofar as the things THEY can control.  It's one thing when the League does stupid things such as have teams play Thursday night after a Sunday afternoon game.  But it's quite another when the Players are doing this to themselves and their brethren and nobody speaks out.  And when the League does occasionally step in and levy some punishment, it promptly gets appealed and the Players (seem to) close ranks behind the offender.

The League can do a better job.  The Cincinnati Bengals could do a better job.  But the NFLPA and the Players could do a better job as well and nudge the process along.  Especially considering how much the League and Roger Goodell seem to be cowering before the Players on all sorts of other issues as if they're too chickenshit to pick a fight anymore.

• Like 1

I remember someone recently making a comment about poor quarter back play this year.  While I'd agree it's true, if you read what a lot of coaches are saying the main problem with offenses is because of poor OLs.  I've said it before, but a good O line will make an average RB/QB good and a bad OL will make a good QB/RB average.

NFL has a very serious problem going forward if they don't somehow make adjustments to all for OL development.

Speaking of QB's what are the brown on now #47? 208?  I've run out of head hair to count on.

5 hours ago, dmsleight said:

I'm taking a chance and going with the Bengals for survivor.  A bad team playing a crappy team.

I got nuked in my Survivor pool a few weeks ago when Pittsburgh laid an egg against Jacksonville.  (It seemed like a good idea at the time -- the Jags had just laid an egg against the Jets.)

Cincy isn't a terrible idea, but I'm staying away from them this week because they seem like a mediocre team to me, and I try not to select mediocre teams as long as I can.  I've chosen to ride with Minnesota this week, because picking them in London doesn't go against my "don't pick road teams" rule of thumb when it's really a neutral site game (vs. Cleveland in London).

12 hours ago, Hank Hill said:

I guess that's kinda sweet.  The O-line problem doesn't look like it will, or can be addressed.  They tried some guys out and couldn't get any deals done so, may as well get a (hopefully)  replacement for Avril.  I mean, you can never have enough pass rush right.

Since he bitched about how much play time he was getting, the team's not letting him play this week. xD Next time, keep your mouth shut, idiot.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000867082/article/martavis-bryant-to-be-inactive-for-steelers-vs-lions

And Cam Newton's still a douchebag. Well, until he beats the shit out of someone, the team won't give a damn.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000867080/article/panthers-cam-newton-abruptly-ends-news-conference

My Week 8 2017-18 NFL Tips

Dolphins over Ravens 

Vikings over Browns 

Falcons over Jets

Bills over Raiders 

Saints over Bears

Bengals over Colts

Patriots over Chargers

Eagles over 49ers

Panthers over Bucs 

Seahawks over Texans

Cowboys over Redskins

Steelers over Lions

Chiefs over Broncos 

8 hours ago, Blissey said:

And Cam Newton's still a douchebag. Well, until he beats the shit out of someone, the team won't give a damn.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000867080/article/panthers-cam-newton-abruptly-ends-news-conference

He could probably beat the shit out of someone and still keep his job, so long as it's another dude.  It's not an irreovcable line in the sand until he hits a woman, because equality between the genders only matters in some situations and that ain't one of them.

But the lesson would be thus:  Talent trumps (almost) everything else.

1 hour ago, acasser said:

He could probably beat the shit out of someone and still keep his job, so long as it's another dude.  It's not an irreovcable line in the sand until he hits a woman, because equality between the genders only matters in some situations and that ain't one of them.

Very true.

10 hours ago, Blissey said:

And that's just A-okay in my book.  He can continue to pout and sulk and drag his team down with him all he wants.  I'd MUCH rather watch the media play this mental midget like a fiddle than watch the unbelievably obnoxious "Glam-Cam" strut around celebrating every minor achievement on the field for 5 minutes any day of the week.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, acasser said:

Well, most episodes of a male vs. male assault is in a stranger scenario (i.e. bar fight). Most situations involving male vs. female assault is domestic assault. Those are entirely different situations. A loved one is hitting, pushing, beating, striking the other person, and typically, in their own home.  Your home should be a safe haven where you can feel comfortable and relaxed.  As an example, Josh Brown and Ray Lewis, physically beat up someone they professed their love to and shared a home with. It would be far worse to be the victim of that and to be beat on by someone you have emotional attachment to, than to get in a nondescript bar fight with a stranger. The bar fight will have a quick end to it. Living with the assaulter, there is no end. 

So of course Cam Newton would be judged differently if he threw some punches at some guy at Shoney's than if he had a physical altercation with his wife/fiance/girlfriend. 

Of course, Adrian Peterson took it to a whole new level. Idiot. 

The only thing that was entertaining about that game was listening to Romo absolutely destroy it on commentary.  "MAYBE this game will end and I can go home", lol.  If there's any mystery to why ratings are steadily declining, I give you exhibit A-Z, Thursday night football, what a grand idea. 

The game is absolutely in the tank right now, shutouts everywhere (defenses aren't that good across the league), sloppy play everywhere, inconsistent officiating everywhere (honestly, how did Miami's entire roster make it from start to finish with no one being tossed?), injuries everywhere (it really seems like the practice restrictions are contributing more negatives than positives) players seeming to care more about everything but the game everywhere.  I don't know, whoever wins the Superbowl this year is really going to seem like the best... no... smartest... no... every comparison I'm thinking of is offensive to someone somewhere so I'll just stop.

• Like 2

So 2 Thursday’s in a row must win teams win, so if your in that situation, play Thursday then xD 

that hit by Alonso, not cool at all, lucky he wasn’t tossed, enjoy your big fine 

And a cat on the field, just amazing xD 

Edited by Hank Hill
  • Like 1

18 hours ago, acasser said:

Aint that the truth, Jameis?  My favorite example would be an article I read about Berry Bonds.  In high school, he was so despised by his team and his antics so detrimental, that the coach had the team vote to keep him or not.  He was voted off, but of course the coach had no spine/integrity.

Watson will have a rough time against the Seahawks.  They love playing young qbs.  Watson is highly mobile, which might be enough to get something going.  Of course it's the SH offense that worries me...

Is the Russell Wilson QB the quarterback of the future?  Offensive lines are getting worse by the year.  If you can't outrun the dline you are dead...

Arians caught in an outright lie when talking about hiring Kaep (actually this might help Kaep's case, especially if they hire a non practice squad guy).  It seems blatant that the owners are blackballing him, but I can't imagine how he can prove that.  Besides, doesn't he have to prove their was a concerted effort, not just owners decided for themselves?

Edited by dmsleight