National Football League Thread

cmgravekeeper

I am feeling a wary with this game.  Injuries are an issue (Thomas out is worth 2-3 injuries alone).  Seahawks were pretty sad in their last game, and Cards have turned a corner with Peterson.  Seattle should win, but I am not feeling at ease right now.

Picking Detroit this week, for obvious reasons.  I think NE will struggle in Denver, pull it out.  SF gets their first win, and I'm looking for a Skin's upset.

"Colin Kaepernick's a good football player, hasn't played football in a while," Texans coach Bill O'Brien said on Monday. So they go and sign Josh Johnson?  He's been out since 2013!  This is all getting pretty stupid.

Edited by dmsleight

18 minutes ago, dmsleight said:

I am feeling a wary with this game.  Injuries are an issue (Thomas out is worth 2-3 injuries alone).  Seahawks were pretty sad in their last game, and Cards have turned a corner with Peterson.  Seattle should win, but I am not feeling at ease right now.

Picking Detroit this week, for obvious reasons.  I think NE will struggle in Denver, pull it out.  SF gets their first win, and I'm looking for a Skin's upset.

"Colin Kaepernick's a good football player, hasn't played football in a while," Texans coach Bill O'Brien said on Monday. So they go and sign Josh Johnson?  He's been out since 2013!  This is all getting pretty stupid.

xD Josh Johnson, Texans are crazy, they should just start TJ Yates, since he’s had some success with them before and yeah im still not gonna pick 49ers even if they are playing the Giants :P 

Guys guys, Johnson was picked up to be our 3rd string backup because when shit goes bad down here it gets real bad.

@dmsleightYou joke about Lechler but he almost had to take over a game last year after a series of injuries. He did throw a first down pass last year I believe on a punt fake. :D

I have a feeling unless something goes completely horrible Savage will probably play out the season. Remember that he took over last week on like 2 days of practice as the starter. Hopefully he can improve at least slightly as we press forward,  but at this point I think everybody is in "win next year" mode already. Every team expects some injuries, but when you lose your two best pass rushers, an up and coming line backer who was really starting to show well, and then your Rookie of the year/possibly pro bowl quarterback, the realization strikes that this probably isn't the year. 

Also, the comments about Kaep were completely out of context. O'Brien stated that they were looking into every possible solution at QB. A reporter flat out asked about Kaep, and O'B stated "all the options." Everything after that is just the media looking for ratings. 

11 hours ago, dmsleight said:

3 days rest after a 37 carry game would be a struggle for any young RB, never mind an aging (albeit physical freak) Peterson.  Think if they just stack the box and force Stanton to win the game with his arm they should be just fine.  Fitz will probably burn them a couple/few times but not enough to single-handedly win the game.  As long as the offense can stay under 150 yards of penalties, which might be a struggle the way they're playing, I'm guessing 17 points should be enough to win it. 

13 hours ago, Zio_Sam87 said:

Wait wait... is him the same Johnson who was the 3rd string BEHIND Gabbert and Kaep?

Man... I think it's more than 5 years that he didn't throw a football...

<face in hand> yeah, hes the one.

At least Seattle will have Prosise back!  Should be good for 3 (?) carries before carted off.  Joeckel is out.  Sherman will probably play, but injured. Richardson is questionable (probably plays).

I hope Freeney keeps it up. 2 Sacks last week!

MY Week 10 2017-18 NFL Tips

Seahawks over Cardinals 

Saints over Bills

Packers over Bears 

Titans over Bengals 

Lions over Browns

Steelers over Colts

Vikings over Redskins

Jets over Bucs

Jags over Chargers 

Rams over Texans

Cowboys over Falcons 

Giants over 49ers

Patriots over Broncos 

Panthers over Dolphins 

1 hour ago, Avatar_Of_Battle said:

Seahawks looking like they literally popped up from the field to play...ugly ass uniforms.

The Color Rush uniforms look ridiculous for most teams. It's another way for the NFL to squeeze more money out of fans. I can't believe there are people out there that turned on their TV's tonight and said "I gotta get me one of those!" 

30 minutes ago, PerryToxteth said:

The Color Rush uniforms look ridiculous for most teams. It's another way for the NFL to squeeze more money out of fans. I can't believe there are people out there that turned on their TV's tonight and said "I gotta get me one of those!" 

I like the Cardinals uniforms though. I expect some Cardinals players are having a tough time seeing where the Seahawks uniforms end and the field begins lmfao.

I'm not someone who buys NFL merchandise anyways so the thought of buying these things never crossed my mind. xD 

Gotta feeling Sherm might have a thing or two to say about Thurs night games after this one.

If he's the only long term injury after tonight then the playoffs should still be doable.  If not... bad times.  Fortunately, they now get a long layoff to heal up and get ready.  Unfortunately, Matt Ryan and Julio Jones get to feast on a rookie corner and Jeremy Lane *ugh*.  Gotta feeling they go 4-3 over the rest of the season and finish 10-6.  The BS from the Green Bay game and them beating themselves against the Redskins are going to really hurt when the season's over.

Edited by skidmarkgn

22 hours ago, dmsleight said:

At least Seattle will have Prosise back!  Should be good for 3 (?) carries before carted off.

Should have called my bookie!  Speaking of carting off...  Thursday night games are great for the nfl...  They are going to have to have 20 player practice squads to have enough able bodies to destroy every week.

Adrian Peterson 21!! carries and 29 yards.  They beat the flesh off that dead horse.

There is no such thing as a catch anymore.  It is just a figment of one's imagination.  The catch rules have been dumber and dumber since the force out.  Not helping yourself with your fans on this one nfl.

Sucks for Sherman http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/21357283/richard-sherman-seattle-seahawks-season-rupturing-achilles-arizona-cardinals

and Seattle could face scrutiny after its non testing of Russell Wilson when he was sent of field by referee http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/21357528/russell-wilson-seattle-seahawks-scrutinized-possible-violation-nfl-concussion-policy

After being cut by Green Bay Martellus Bennett is going back to the Patriots https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/martellus-bennett-reportedly-reuniting-with-patriots-after-being-cut-by-packers/

Edited by Jare

10 hours ago, Jare said:

and Seattle could face scrutiny after its non testing of Russell Wilson when he was sent of field by referee http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/21357528/russell-wilson-seattle-seahawks-scrutinized-possible-violation-nfl-concussion-policy

"Wilson did not show any obvious signs of a concussion, but referee Walt Anderson invoked his right to send Wilson off the field for a test."  That line right there pretty much summed up the officiating for the night.  Walt Anderson spent the whole damn night trying to give the Cards every possible break he could.  

Also, I wonder if the players are ever going to get to the point where they just say no, we're not playing on Thursdays any more, discipline us however you want because it couldn't be worse than what's happening to us on the field.  Last night was absolutely brutal, for both teams.  I honestly lost track of the number of injuries by the 3rd quarter.

'

Edited by skidmarkgn

2 hours ago, skidmarkgn said:

Also, I wonder if the players are ever going to get to the point where they just say no, we're not playing on Thursdays any more, discipline us however you want because it couldn't be worse than what's happening to us on the field.  Last night was absolutely brutal, for both teams.  I honestly lost track of the number of injuries by the 3rd quarter.

'

They should, but it's probably not that important an issue to them.  Not compared to the other stuff that they'd draw lines in the sand for.  Because they'd have to give something of consequence to the Owners as a trade-off given how lucrative the Thursday Night television package is right now, not to mention how it would impact the salary cap.  We see the same sort of issue now with Roger Goodell and the power he wields: the players allowed him to accumulate his near-dictatorial authority because they got things like not having to practice as much and the latter was more important to them.

And the solution to this Thursday night mess is still pretty simple, in my opinion.  Write the schedule so that teams playing on Thursday have their bye week the previous Sunday.  Teams would get ~10 days off from actual game activity prior to the Thursday night tilt, and another ~10 days off from actual game activity afterwards.  I know it would screw up all the little snowflakes and truncate/interrupt their in-season vacation time because they'd have two mini-byes instead of one big slab of time off, but it seems to me that this would be a worthy trade-off for as long as the Thursday night package exists.  Which is at least through 2021-2022 given the current television deals.

Lmaaaao so, Martellus Bennett faked a shoulder injury, said he was retiring so the Packers would release him, then signed back to the pats after he said he was retiring because he had a career ending shoulder injury, but he’s practicing with the pats. What a piece of shit I guess he’s a Bennett after all. 

@dmsleight gotta say nice pick with the 49ers, Ben McAdoo is surely done in New York now 

So My Cowboys get thumped, and allow Adrian Claiborne to get 6 sacks for Atlanta 

So the bucs finally get back on the winners list with the win against the jets with Ryan Fitzpatrick at qb, QB controversy in Tampa? ?

Also yet again Vontace Burfict in the news, for getting tossed for making contact with an official, personally wish the Bengals would just get rid of him, too much trouble

Edited by Jare

1 hour ago, Jare said:

@dmsleight gotta say nice pick with the 49ers, Ben McAdoo is surely done in New York now 

Probably, but don't go etching it in stone just yet or running off to Vegas to place your bets on his being fired.  Lest we all forget, the Giants have ultra-conservative ownership and only once have they allowed the Head Coach to be thrown overboard after only two seasons (Ray Handley, who succeeded Bill Parcells).  This team is terrible, and the optics are likely only to get worse in the next few weeks with empty seats and boos raining down from the stands and THOSE are capable of pushing the Mara family to make a move, but even then it's likely to be at season's end and not before.

And even with all that said, the Giants hired Ben McAdoo two years ago with the idea that there would be growing pains and a need for adjustments but that he was there to shepherd this team through Eli Manning's twilight and keep them in contention.  So I don't believe it's out of the realm of possiblity that he gets another shot and a bunch of the whiners and malcontents get the door instead.  I think it's increasingly unlikely, but that's not the same as "impossible".

Although I suspect it's very possible that they fire Jerry Reese as soon as the season ends -- while Reese has overseen two Super Bowls as GM, the first was almost entirely with his predecessor's players and his draft record in recent years is atrocious.  Maybe McAdoo goes with him, and maybe McAdoo is left to twist in the wind for the next GM after him to make a call on.

7 hours ago, Jare said:

Thanks.  Sorry for you that your cboy's OL was as secure as Austria was against the Nazi's.

I thought that the Jets had a gimme, but there really isn't such a thing for them.

What the heck is a beat hard?  Will we see it again?

Giants coach said he doesn't feel like his job is threatened. Either he's lying or in deep denial.

That being said, the owner of the team has announced that he'll be around until the season's over at least.

http://giantswire.usatoday.com/2017/11/13/new-york-giants-ben-mcadoo-owners-pledge-support-coach/

Still, if  he doesn't get sacked after, I'll be shocked.

Edited by Blissey

Tenn is surging and Pitt is distracted, Titans take this one.  Tampa Bay tumbles onto and flops over Miami. I have a good feeling about a healthy Dallas, but it doesn't look possible, so Eagles take it.  A ?Chargers struggles past a ?Bills.  I don't even know what to think about GB/Bal.  Anyone got a coin?  Tails! GB it is... (yes, I actually did just flip pick, that is how much I respect these 2 teams)

I hope Joekel can make it Monday and of course, the Earl.  There's a reasonable chance Chris Carson can revive an embarrassing run game next month...  here's hoping!!!!!  Hope!! Hope!!

Edited by dmsleight

21 minutes ago, Blissey said:

Getting sick and tired of hearing about this every damn week. Glad he decided to just be done with it.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000877852/article/ezekiel-elliott-withdraws-appeal-will-serve-suspension

Dammit, was hoping for 1 more week of delays ?

When I went to your link I also saw a link to another story, about the Bengals coach publicly throwing John Ross under the bus because he made a mistake on one play.  Couldn't believe what I was reading.  The Bengals f--king head coach publicly flaming a rookie receiver after spending how many years putting up with Burfict's bullshit, and Pacman's bullshit, and his own QB's 0-4 playoff record, and his own 0-7 playoff record... it's almost to the point I'd put him as #1 on the list of coaches that need to go.  Mcadoo at least has injuries on top of injuries as an excuse, what's Lewis'?

Edited by skidmarkgn
  • Like 1