National Football League Thread

cmgravekeeper

12 hours ago, Green said:

Bills have benched Tyrod Taylor for their game against the Chargers :o

Could mean his time in Buffalo is officially done

2 hours ago, Blissey said:

Getting sick and tired of hearing about this every damn week. Glad he decided to just be done with it.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000877852/article/ezekiel-elliott-withdraws-appeal-will-serve-suspension

Only option he had, nfl was never gonna lose this after how they botched the ray rice incident 

My Week 11 2017-18 NF Tips 

Steelers over Titans 

Lions over Bears 

Jags over Browns 

Ravens over packers 

Chiefs over Giants 

Vikings over Rams 

Saints over Redskins

Cardinals over Texans 

Dolphins over Bucs 

Chargers over Bills

Broncos over Bengals 

Patriots over Raiders 

Cowboys over Eagles 

Seahawks over Falcons 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, skidmarkgn said:

Mcadoo at least has injuries on top of injuries as an excuse

No, he doesn't.  The Giants were 0-5 when they had their entire complement of offensive weapons.  They're simply a bad team -- a vastly overrated defense, an offense that can't block with too many diva receiver types demanding the ball, and an aging/declining quarterback.  They're probably poorly coached, to boot, and they're drunk off of last year's success and reading their own headlines.

No, he doesn't.  The Giants were 0-5 when they had their entire complement of offensive weapons.  They're simply a bad team -- a vastly overrated defense, an offense that can't block with too many diva receiver types demanding the ball, and an aging/declining quarterback.  They're probably poorly coached, to boot, and they're drunk off of last year's success and reading their own headlines.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, acasser said:

I can't quite figure out if you disagree or not ;)

That fumble rule (Steelers) is stupid.  Why the heck should a rule like that change during the 2 minute warning?  Another stupid rule to over complicate the game and get fans annoyed.  Lets clean up the rulebook, eh?

19 minutes ago, dmsleight said:

I can't quite figure out if you disagree or not ;)

That fumble rule (Steelers) is stupid.  Why the heck should a rule like that change during the 2 minute warning?  Another stupid rule to over complicate the game and get fans annoyed.  Lets clean up the rulebook, eh?

Yeah it’s a silly rule but wouldn’t have made a difference in the game, gotta make the last 2mins if each half special ;) 

p.s Antonio Brown helmet catch was amazing, David Tyree has some competition now :P 

19 minutes ago, Jare said:

Yeah it’s a silly rule but wouldn’t have made a difference in the game, gotta make the last 2mins if each half special ;) 

p.s Antonio Brown helmet catch was amazing, David Tyree has some competition now :P 

I'm not complaining about the ruling.  The rule just unnecessarily complicates and detracts from the game. 

I like how he forces the ball into his hand with his head.  funny to watch.  He kept his other hand limp at his side, as if he was trying to 'dazzle'

Edited by dmsleight

27 minutes ago, Jare said:

The player who fumbles must recover his own fumble, can’t be another player from the team, if does then goes back to the spot the fumble occurred 

Oh I had no idea.

Maybe they created it to avoid forward fumbling to gain field position.

www.cbssports.com/college-football/news/watch-louisiana-tech-loses-87-yards-on-one-play-in-the-most-comical-fashion/

Like this, but forward instead of backward.

Imagine this happens:

1st & 10 own 25  deep pass & catch receiver runs away from the defense except a safety who strips the ball on the 50 yd line, then the ball still bounces forward and many players try to recover unsuccessfully like in the video but finally inside the 5yd line a player from the offense recovers.

It's unlikely to happen, but might happen.

In that case, I see good that the ball will be spotted at 50 yd line instead of being 1st & goal from the 5. Because that would be 'unfair' advantage for the offense who may be able to score and win the game leaving no time to the other team for a chance of scoring.

23 minutes ago, dmsleight said:

I'm not complaining about the ruling.  The rule just unnecessarily complicates and detracts from the game. 

I like how he forces the ball into his hand with his head.  funny to watch.  He kept his other hand limp at his side, as if he was trying to 'dazzle'

I guess the Raiders took advantage of the forward fumble rule a few years ago and scored a TD on it. NFL wants to prevent that from happening again. W/o the rule, you can't lateral the ball forward, but you could roll it forward (bc it's technically a fumble). Seems like the rule makes sense. 

• Like 2

55 minutes ago, PerryToxteth said:

I guess the Raiders took advantage of the forward fumble rule a few years ago and scored a TD on it. NFL wants to prevent that from happening again. W/o the rule, you can't lateral the ball forward, but you could roll it forward (bc it's technically a fumble). Seems like the rule makes sense. 

So why not have it for all of regulation?  Apparently, even the refs can't handle all of the intricacies of the rule book.  The refs have enough to concentrate on and apply in the moment.  A needlessly complicated rule book hurts the game.  Almost every week I can read about a misapplication of an obscure rule, not even including the abomination "catch" rule.

5 hours ago, Jare said:

Wow this is huge if true http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2017/11/18/report-kam-chancellor-expected-to-miss-the-rest-of-the-season/ After they’ve already lost Richard Sherman 

I guess everyone who was bagging on Pete and John for drafting safeties earlier this year got their answers to "why".  The defense is aging and they're looking to the future.  Hopefully the guys they drafted will benefit from a year or two of learning from the established stars and, in the end, they won't be too much of a fall back in quality.  Only time will tell.

The good news is they still have their QB.  Hopefully in the long run they can replenish the defense through the draft and have the capital to buy the protection Russell needs. 

The bad news, Seattle's playoff hopes are obviously sinking like a rock this year.  Defensively, losing Avril, Sherm and Chancellor should be the death knell for the 'Hawks but there's still a chance.  If Bennett, Richardson and Clark can step up and make QB's miserable then Earl, KJ, and Wagner are still out there being dangerous. 

Griffin is looking like he may develop into a solid corner too.  He's been burnt a time or two or three (he's still a rookie after all)  but he's also made some pretty impressive plays.  Hopefully he has nowhere to go but up.

Chiefs continue the semi-frefall with the loss to the Giants, only mustering 3fg's i wonder how long till Maholmes plays. 

Green Bay continue to miss Rodgers after being shutout 23-0 against the ravens for the first time at home in 11yrs

Bucs with Ryan Fitzpatrick make it 2 in a row, more surprising he has thrown more td's to Desean Jackson then has Jameis Winston

And gotta say Credit to Tom Savage on a solid game in the win against Arizona. really showed his stuff today and shut me up :) 

On 11/15/2017 at 10:32 AM, Green said:

Bills have benched Tyrod Taylor for their game against the Chargers :o

Don't think that's gonna happen again since the rookie threw five picks unless the coach wants to get fired.

So ashamed to be a Chiefs fan right now. It's a fucking disgrace they lost to one of the worst teams in the NFL!

•  
Edited by Jigglypuff

6 hours ago, Jigglypuff said:

Don't think that's gonna happen again since the rookie threw five picks unless the coach wants to get fired.

That coach just got hired last offseason and got to hand-pick his own General Manager, did he not?  He's probably safe for a bit.  But he might go back to Tyrod Taylor if only to placate a restless locker room.

19 hours ago, acasser said:

That coach just got hired last offseason and got to hand-pick his own General Manager, did he not?  He's probably safe for a bit.  But he might go back to Tyrod Taylor if only to placate a restless locker room.

Taylor is better than close to half of the current starters.  He's no Dan Marino, but he ain't Gus Frerotte.  Bad example, he ain't Flacco, or Bortles, etc.  If they depend on his arm, they will likely not do well, but his not a guy that is going to blow up a game (Cutler, Kizer and of course, Pickerman, I mean Peterman).

9 hours ago, dmsleight said:

Taylor is better than close to half of the current starters.  He's no Dan Marino, but he ain't Gus Frerotte.  Bad example, he ain't Flacco, or Bortles, etc.  If they depend on his arm, they will likely not do well, but his not a guy that is going to blow up a game (Cutler, Kizer and of course, Pickerman, I mean Peterman).

It seems apparant to me that Bills management does not consider Tyrod Taylor to be a viable "quarterback of the future" or even a very good "quarterback of the present".  And they'll probably cut him in the off-season rather than pay him what his contract demands if he sticks around.

Tyrod Taylor does do a number of things well.  That being said, he also holds the ball for long periods of time and takes a lot of sacks and that's something that can aggravate a coach -- negative plays aren't what they want to see.

He'll be an upgrade for somebody this off-season, but it's also not the best time for him to be searching for a job because there will be a lot of competition on that market.  That Buffalo saw fit to try and bench him when they're in the midst of the playoff hunt and actually holding down a Wild Card spot probably doesn't help.