National Football League Thread

cmgravekeeper

Was hoping the network would replace the Bengals Vikings farce with Green Bay/Carolina but hey, the Saints vs. the Fighting Bowles' is actually turning out to be pretty entertaining.

Oh no... not Ed Hoculi.  Anyone but him.  Seattle's got enough problems without worrying about him throwing 40 thousand flags against them.

Edited by skidmarkgn

Early talk was the week 1 match between Green Bay and Seattle was probably going to determine a 1st round bye and possibly home field.  Green Bay's already out and Seattle is well on their way.  Who'da thunk both Seattle and Green Bay would be missing the playoffs this year.

Edited by skidmarkgn

How quickly the worm can turn in the NFL.

RIP Seattle.

You had a great run, Seattle. At one time, you were invincible in December at home.

You still have a great coach and great QB but you ran out of players.

NFC West was all about Seattle and maybe Arizona. Next year those look like the third and fourth best teams in the West, with the Rams and Niners (yes, Niners) vying for first.

2 hours ago, skidmarkgn said:

Was hoping the network would replace the Bengals Vikings farce with Green Bay/Carolina but hey, the Saints vs. the Fighting Bowles' is actually turning out to be pretty entertaining.

Fox had Green Bay and Carolina, not CBS.  There's been a little bit of cross-pollenation with the networks exchanging some games this season, but I doubt that Fox wanted to let go of Rodgers/Newton given the lackluster remainder of their early schedule.

The Jets fought hard, and they still lost.  Which is pretty much what I was hoping would happen for the majority of the season.  Given what they were down in terms of personnel, not the worst outcome in the world.... although I suspect we might see Christian Hackenberg against the Patriots if Petty isn't any better next week.

Anybody want a tarnished, somewhat used and diminished Mo Wilkerson?  He'd probably be cheap for next season, because I bet the Jets cut him this off-season and swallow the guaranteed money for next year as not to be on the hook for guaranteed money in 2019.  (It's a vesting option.)  His play hasn't been wonderful for two years, and he's turning into a locker room problem.  Gee..... where have I heard that one before?

1 hour ago, PsychicVibe said:

How quickly the worm can turn in the NFL.

RIP Seattle.

You had a great run, Seattle. At one time, you were invincible in December at home.

You still have a great coach and great QB but you ran out of players.

NFC West was all about Seattle and maybe Arizona. Next year those look like the third and fourth best teams in the West, with the Rams and Niners (yes, Niners) vying for first.

After this year there's no way Pete and John can ignore the O-line problem anymore.  There should be some money available with the players they're most likely losing and that money needs to be spent on O-line.  Period.  Defense is way-way-way easier to replenish through the draft so use what little picks they have left to address the couple needs they'll have on defense and spend every damn cent on O-line.

And there's just no way the 9ers are going to be vying for the division by next year.  They still have a ton of rebuilding they need to do and Jimmy G is a question mark.at best.

• Like 2

Only good part about this is getting to see someone from my hometown play in the playoffs, so I hope the Rams win it all.

Big off season coming up for Seattle. Personally, I hope they pick up some offensive weapons like a legit #1 WR. Also thinking about putting on 100lbs and trying out for o-line myself. It can't be THAT hard, right? :P

Just now, Avatar_Of_Battle said:

Holy fucking shit that NE/PA game. 

As soon as I saw the replay of the overturned Steelers TD and saw that guy's hand flip up off the ball I knew the call would be reversed.

yeah that game was amazing and i agree that overturning the td was the right call, that game really lived up to everyone's expectations 

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, Pokey said:

yeah that game was amazing and i agree that overturning the td was the right call, that game really lived up to everyone's expectations 

I honestly expected the Steelers to come away with a well deserved win. Up until that Brady/Gronk constant connecting at the end? I thought the Steelers played a bit better. That 69 yard play made all of New England clench their ass cheeks clench in anticipation lol.

The Jimmy Garoppolo era continues to be amazing in San Francisco with a clutch 4qtr drive to set up the game winning field goal, and setting himself up for a big pay day and a bright future for the 49ers whilst  Robbie Gould continues to make Bear fans regret why they ever got rid of him.

On the other Side The Tennessee Titans continue to struggle down the stretch in the race for a playoff spot, really helping the other teams in the mix for the wild card spots 

11 minutes ago, Pokey said:

Didn't see it but I'm hearing it's yet another case of their just being too many minute details in determining what is and isn't a TD.  And seriously, who the hell (pun intended) did the Pats make a deal with to receive all the shit that goes their way.  Only against the Pats would the Steelers lose Brown (of course), get a game winning TD reversed and throw (what I hear was) a stupid pick to finalize the loss.  I mean, when does it freaking end for these guys.  

Guess it's down to plan B fandom from here on out.  Minnesota vs. Jacksonville in the SB please.

5 minutes ago, Zio_Sam87 said:

Now it's 3for3 for Jimmy G and my Niners! ?

Someone has to rethink his tips

Garbage time against the back ups to the back ups vs. Seattle.  A 1 point win against the putrid Bears and beating a Texans team that's already shut down shop and looking to the draft.  Weeks 16 and 17 against the Jags and Rams (assuming they don't rest their starters) might tell a different story.  Just sayin' ?

8 minutes ago, skidmarkgn said:

Garbage time against the back ups to the back ups vs. Seattle.  A 1 point win against the putrid Bears and beating a Texans team that's already shut down shop and looking to the draft.  Weeks 16 and 17 against the Jags and Rams (assuming they don't rest their starters) might tell a different story.  Just sayin' 1f60b.png

Doesn't seem to me that niners is a SB team... Prediction were a 1-15 campaign if lucky. So why Bears, Texans and Titans should be considered garbage cause they lost to a garbage team? ?

37 minutes ago, skidmarkgn said:

Guess it's down to plan B fandom from here on out.  Minnesota vs. Jacksonville in the SB please.

Garbage time against the back ups to the back ups vs. Seattle.  A 1 point win against the putrid Bears and beating a Texans team that's already shut down shop and looking to the draft.  Weeks 16 and 17 against the Jags and Rams (assuming they don't rest their starters) might tell a different story.  Just sayin' 1f60b.png

I'll root for New Orleans versus LA Chargers myself.....I prefer seeing skilled quarterbacks play.

BTW a win is a win is a win.......and the Niners are finding a way to do it with a PLAY-MAKING QB.  Skid, you should know what a difference that can make, since the Hawks are at best an average team without Wilson. Niners will not be a super bowl team next year but certainly look like they can step up and make the playoffs.

The Jags just destroyed the Hawks and can now make the claim as the most feared defense in the NFL. They've won three straight, and will be facing the only other NFL team that has won three straight next weekend. After the Niners beat them I suppose you'll drag out the excuse that they rested their starters or didn't try hard enough. But a win is a win is a win.

1 hour ago, skidmarkgn said:

Houston doesn't need to bother looking to the draft:  Cleveland already owns their 1st and 2nd round picks.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, PsychicVibe said:

I'll root for New Orleans versus LA Chargers myself.....I prefer seeing skilled quarterbacks play.

BTW a win is a win is a win.......and the Niners are finding a way to do it with a PLAY-MAKING QB.  Skid, you should know what a difference that can make, since the Hawks are at best an average team without Wilson. Niners will not be a super bowl team next year but certainly look like they can step up and make the playoffs.

The Jags just destroyed the Hawks and can now make the claim as the most feared defense in the NFL. They've won three straight, and will be facing the only other NFL team that has won three straight next weekend. After the Niners beat them I suppose you'll drag out the excuse that they rested their starters or didn't try hard enough. But a win is a win is a win.

If they did beat a Jacksonville team that rests their starters that's not an excuse, it's a reason.  Excuses are things people cling to to try and justify nonsense, beating a bunch of back ups doesn't really prove much does it?  And yeah, a win is a win, but if a team has their seed locked up and doesn't really put everything they have up against you a win can also be empty.   

Anyways, I'm not saying Jimmy G is going to be crap so relax, I'm saying so far he hasn't really been tested while wearing a 49ers helmet, and everyone jumping all over his bandwagon might be a little weary before thinking he's going to single handedly take the team from the bottom to the top after a few games against bad teams.  He may pan out and be a guy they could build around, he also could be a complete bust and force yet another restart. 

2 minutes ago, acasser said:

Houston doesn't need to bother looking to the draft:  Cleveland already owns their 1st and 2nd round picks.

Which they'll probably end up trading away because if I'm an LA college QB I've already told them that there is no way I'm signing with them......I'd rather go back to college for another year than sign with THE WORST FRANCHISE IN PROFESSIONAL SPORT.

Acasser: been watching your Jets all year......lots to look forward to. Defense is tremendous (and young and fast) but wears out in the fourth quarter because of lack of offensive support.

But most of all I like how they compete in every game when most people were calling them an 0-16 team who should lay down for draft picks.

And I loved how the Giants fought against the Eagles and Eli Manning shredded their defense. The Giants looked like a different team; with a new GM and competent HC (and a weak schedule) they just might be a playoff team again next year

1 minute ago, skidmarkgn said:

If they did beat a Jacksonville team that rests their starters that's not an excuse, it's a reason.  Excuses are things people cling to to try and justify nonsense, beating a bunch of back ups doesn't really prove much does it?  And yeah, a win is a win, but if a team has their seed locked up and doesn't really put everything they have up against you a win can also be empty.   

Anyways, I'm not saying Jimmy G is going to be crap so relax, I'm saying so far he hasn't really been tested while wearing a 49ers helmet, and everyone jumping all over his bandwagon might be a little weary before thinking he's going to single handedly take the team from the bottom to the top after a few games against bad teams.  He may pan out and be a guy they could build around, he also could be a complete bust and force yet another restart. 

The Niners, with a pedestrian rookie QB, lost five games in a row by three points or less at the beginning of the season. Sometimes a team on the cusp of learning how to win needs that one guy to get over the top and expect to win. That is what Jimmy G has provided. The belief that they can win. Maybe even the belief that they WILL win.

And trust me, I've watched every one of his starts and he is the real deal. Pocket awareness. Read defenses and makes adjustments. Understands offensive concepts. Great arm. Exudes leadership. 5-0 as a starter. A WINNER!

Oh, and BTW, a WIN is NEVER empty.

The Niners, with a pedestrian rookie QB, lost five games in a row by three points or less at the beginning of the season. Sometimes a team on the cusp of learning how to win needs that one guy to get over the top and expect to win. That is what Jimmy G has provided. The belief that they can win. Maybe even the belief that they WILL win.

And trust me, I've watched every one of his starts and he is the real deal. Pocket awareness. Read defenses and makes adjustments. Understands offensive concepts. Great arm. Exudes leadership. 5-0 as a starter. A WINNER!

Oh, and BTW, a WIN is NEVER empty.

I'm happy you're happy but it takes more than a small sample size to convince me one way or the other, and 5 professional starts is just that.  If something like that could be determined that fast than Goff would have been kicked out of the league somewhere between going 0-6 and 0-7 as a starter last year.  Guess we'll have to agree to disagree for now, about both things.  

2 minutes ago, skidmarkgn said:

I'm happy you're happy but it takes more than a small sample size to convince me one way or the other, and 5 professional starts is just that.  If something like that could be determined that fast than Goff would have been kicked out of the league somewhere between going 0-6 and 0-7 as a starter last year.  Guess we'll have to agree to disagree for now, about both things.  

I get you. We don't disagree. Just have different perspectives. Please forgive me. I'm over-exuberant because the Niners have sucked for so long...before Harbaugh, and after Harbaugh.

I believe they actually have a future now.

At least they're not Cleveland anymore.

I get you. We don't disagree. Just have different perspectives. Please forgive me. I'm over-exuberant because the Niners have sucked for so long...before Harbaugh, and after Harbaugh.

I believe they actually have a future now.

At least they're not Cleveland anymore.

Nothing to forgive man, a good healthy debate will never be a bad thing.  

Hopefully you're right and Jimmy G (I'm never gonna try and spell his last name) does bring the franchise back into relevance and Seattle can fix their many flaws.  I personally would love nothing more than to re-live the magic that was the Seattle/San Fran rivalry of a few years ago. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, skidmarkgn said:

Only against the Pats would the Steelers lose Brown (of course), get a game winning TD reversed and throw (what I hear was) a stupid pick to finalize the loss.  I mean, when does it freaking end for these guys.   

It wasn't a great ball thrown by Big Ben, what was absolutely stupid was his decision to snap the ball and try and run a half-ass play. Ben should have spiked it to stop the clock for a few more tries. Instead, he rushed it and ran a play where ONE receiver ran a route into the end zone. Of course the guy was triple-covered and it got tipped and picked. It was an absolute bone-headed move by a veteran QB.

Want to know why Brady's a HOFer and Roethlisberger isn't? Watch those final drives. 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, skidmarkgn said:

Nothing to forgive man, a good healthy debate will never be a bad thing.  

Hopefully you're right and Jimmy G (I'm never gonna try and spell his last name) does bring the franchise back into relevance and Seattle can fix their many flaws.  I personally would love nothing more than to re-live the magic that was the Seattle/San Fran rivalry of a few years ago. 

Personally I couldn't stand baughbaugh so.. xD pls no 

Bring on the Rams Seahawks rivalry