National Football League Thread

cmgravekeeper

well I think Jimmy garapollo just showed all the non-doubters :P 

1 game left and Browns are still looking for that win and they go to Pittsburgh, Lions get you might almost have someone going you at 0-16

And The Cardinals get there first shutout since 1992 with a 23-0 win over the Giants 

Edited by Pokey

15 minutes ago, Zio_Sam87 said:

4 in a row now for Jimmy G and the niners!! And I don't care if Jags had already won the division yada yada... big win for us!!!

Your 49ers have got a bright future coming for next season, let’s see if Jimmy G can beat the Rams in Week 17, will be another good test for him 

So which offense is worse?

The Giants the past two-and-a-half years or so, under alleged Hall of Famer Eli Manning, a team that hasn't topped the 30-point mark since the infamous game when Odell Beckham Jr. and Josh Norman tried to turn a contest into the WWE while the Panthers were still undefeated?

The Jets under Bryce Petty, a game today that had Ian Eagle and Dan Fouts looking for the NFL record for punts in a game?

Given those two, the answer might be Door #3:  the Rutgers Scarlet Knights.

/sigh

It's probably a forlorn hope at this point, but I'd like to see Todd Bowles play Christian Hackenberg against the Patriots next Sunday.  Not that I'd expect much of anything other than a massacre, given the Patriots will have something to play for -- i.e., a win and Homefield Advantage -- but I've seen enough of Bryce Petty.  He's not going to be on the roster next season, he has way too many passes tipped at the line of scrimmage, and he keeps missing simple throws to wide-open receivers.  There's nothing there.

About all I have left to root for is for Houston to win a game.  It probably won't be tomorrow against Pittsburgh, but they've got Indy coming up next weekend.  I don't know how the tiebreakers for draft order look, but I suspect there's at least a chance that the Jets could sneak ahead of Houston Cleveland to the #5 overall pick if both the Jets and Texans finish 5-11.

7 hours ago, skidmarkgn said:

Also, I didn't see the game so I don't know for sure, maybe you guys can help me out.  Did Elliott get a 15 yard unsportsmanlike when he jumped into the Salvation Army jug or is that only a foul if you have a Seahawks logo on your helmet?

Nope, that was before the NFL decided to relax on endzone celebrations even

9 hours ago, Pokey said:

So for week 17 there will be no Sunday Night Football https://nflcommunications.com/Pages/NFL-FINALIZES-WEEK-17-SCHEDULE.aspx

They can put whatever spin on it they want, but the truth is that it all comes down to ratings.  One part not wanting to compete with New Year's Eve on all the other networks, and a bigger part that their television ratings (and attendance in general) have been crashing all season.  And the NFL doesn't want to embarass itself further by having a half-empty stadium with limited television viewership for what could be (but might not be) a very important game.

I mean, I'm okay with the schedule as it's going to be, but I wonder about NBC and all the League's stuffed shirts that allowed the situation to get to where it is now.

From what I've seen, heard, and read, it seems like almost everyone everywhere has had enough.  The sketchy win against the Jets was the spark.  The straight robbery against the Steelers was the fire and the huge momentum loss before the half against the Bills yesterday seems like it's the final straw.  Fans on comment boards (outside of Bostonians wearing their blinders of course) analysts/"experts", commentators, players and coaches are all well beyond frustrated with the treatment the Pats seem to be getting.  If they find their way into the superbowl this year it seems like the narrative behind it will be "the NFL made sure they got in"... except of course for the usual "jealous hater" comments Pats fans use to try and justify the blatant favoritism and cheating the Pats have been riding for years now.

Wasn't Derek Carr supposed to be good? 

I don't get to watch many West Coast games but I thought he was labeled as one of the up-and-coming young QBs. I've seen him the last two weeks and he's been garbage. True, he's been getting pressured but too often he just lobs up a prayer.

Raiders have some quality pieces in place but they don't fit together to make a strong, cohesive team. 

2 hours ago, PerryToxteth said:

I don't get to watch many West Coast games but I thought he was labeled as one of the up-and-coming young QBs. I've seen him the last two weeks and he's been garbage. True, he's been getting pressured but too often he just lobs up a prayer.

Raiders have some quality pieces in place but they don't fit together to make a strong, cohesive team. 

When your runningbacks can't seem to hold on to the ball and your protection is Seahawk-esque what else can you do?

6 hours ago, PerryToxteth said:

OL around the league are garbage.  Hard for any qb to be much good if you are getting hit constantly.  And even when there is no pressure, you feel pressured.  Crappy OL play is what is really killing offenses.  The rules are stacked against the D.

8 hours ago, PerryToxteth said:

Yeah he hasn’t been good this season, but tbh the whole offense isn’t helping with all those dropped passes this season 

12 hours ago, Avatar_Of_Battle said:

Heard the Pats signed a player that was recently released from the Steelers ROFL. 

What a crappy way by the Steelers to treat a face of their franchise for more than a decade.  Instead of letting him ride out his career with the team, they cut him weeks before making a playoff run.

14 hours ago, Pokey said:

Yeah James Harrison, I wonder how good he can be in helping the Patriots in the playoffs 

3 hours ago, PerryToxteth said:

What a crappy way by the Steelers to treat a face of their franchise for more than a decade.  Instead of letting him ride out his career with the team, they cut him weeks before making a playoff run.

I think some of the most pathetic comments I've seen so far on this is that the Patriots only signed the dude to get intel on the Steelers. :rolleyes::facepalm:xD

6 hours ago, PerryToxteth said:

From the reports I'm seeing, James Harrison wanted out because he wasn't getting enough playing time.  Sure, the Steelers might have treated him a little better -- although this isn't the first time they've cut him over his age and playing time and on-field performance -- but they needed the roster spot as well.

Listening to his (now-former) teammates, it sounds like he wasn't exactly a positive influence these days.  There seems to be an awful lot of that going around the League, although it's probably not really that much more than there ever was.

My Week 17 2017-18 NFL Tips 

Vikings over Bears 

Steelers over Browns 

Eagles over Cowboys 

Lions over Packers 

Colts over Texans 

Patriots over Jets

Redskins over Giants 

Falcons over Panthers 

Bills over Dolphins 

Ravens over Bengals 

Chiefs over Broncos 

Titans over Jags 

Chargers over Raiders 

Rams over 49ers

Saints over Bucs

Seahawks over Cardinals 

It'll be interesting to see who's let go next week. I also have heard several on talk radio say that, due to money, the Chiefs may have no choice but to release Alex Smith. Guess time will tell. In any event, this weekend Mahomes gets a chance to shine.

On 12/27/2017 at 10:20 AM, PerryToxteth said:

Well, according to him, he's the one who wanted out and had to ask a couple times before the team released him...and now his former teammates have said he fucked his legacy.

Edited by Jigglypuff

1 hour ago, Jigglypuff said:

It'll be interesting to see who's let go next week. I also have heard several on talk radio say that, due to money, the Chiefs may have no choice but to release Alex Smith. Guess time will tell. In any event, this weekend Mahomes gets a chance to shine.

With the quarterback situation being what it is around the League in any number of places?  Somebody will offer up a pretty decent draft pick to Kansas City for Alex Smith's services.  Giving Kansas City a future 2nd round pick (or a conditional 3rd that can become a 2nd) is a lot cheaper than trading up for one of the top prospects and hoping that you haven't selected the next Ryan Leaf.  Alex Smith's contract and the extension he'd sign as part of a trade would be more expensive than a rookie contract, but there are too many teams desperate for an upgrade at that position and not enough prospects and cap space is easy enough to manufacture.

I mean, if I'm the Jets and I can do it for the Seattle pick they got in the Sheldon Richardson deal, I'd strongly consider doing that.  Because I'm not sold on either Josh Rosen or Sam Darnold and I want nothing to do with Baker Mayfield -- Mayfield screams "Johnny Manziel" to me and we saw how well that one worked out.  And I suspect that the Jets would have to move up to get Josh Allen and said price could very easily be a 1st-round pick in 2019.