National Football League Thread

cmgravekeeper

17 hours ago, acasser said:

With the quarterback situation being what it is around the League in any number of places?  Somebody will offer up a pretty decent draft pick to Kansas City for Alex Smith's services. 

Denver seems like a team that could benefit from having a veteran like Smith.  He's good enough to keep them in any game score-wise and maybe the defense can get back into form if they're not on the field for 2/3's of every game.  Granted, they'll be in the same boat in a couple of years but their window is kind of right now, much like Seattle.

Edited by skidmarkgn

what a wild final day, congrats to The Buffalo Bills who have made the playoffs, the first time since 1999

Playoff times for Wildcard games are set

Saturday 

Titans vs Chiefs ESPN 4:35PM

Falcons vs Rams NBC 8:15

Sunday

Bills vs Jags CBS 1PM

Panthers vs Saints  FOX 4:40PM

Edited by Pokey
  • Like 1

I'm not unhappy that the Jets extended Todd Bowles, but I wish he'd get a fucking clue when it comes to in-game management.  This is the second time in less than a month where it seems the Jets quit on the game:  not the players quitting, but the Coaching Staff doing so with the way they made personnel and play-calling decisions.  I know Bowles hates Christian Hackenberg -- heck, I know Bowles hates pretty much every quarterback he's been handed for three years other than Ryan Fitzpatrick and Josh McCown -- but Bryce Petty should have been out of that game at halftime, or early in the 3rd quarter at the very worst.  Not that Hackenberg is likely to be very good or effective, especially against a Patriots team that had reasons to play to win comfortably, but we know what Bryce Petty is and isn't.  He isn't good, he isn't accurate, and the Jets offense was atrocious when Petty was under center this year.

So one of the late games available here in the NYC area was Bills-Dolphins.  I didn't watch much of it, largely because I watch very little NFL football other than the Jets -- and by "watch" I mean I have the game on as background noise while I'm folding laundry for a few minutes or when I'm showering on a Sunday evening so long as it's CBS or Fox (no NBC or ESPN for me) -- but one of the things I caught was the melee.  And what I find noteworthy and amusing about said melee was Referee Jeff Triplette's (sp?) reactions.  It looked like he was having fun, because I can't recall seeing a referee smile very often and even less often during a game.

I just wonder how much it's going to cost the Jets to trade up from the 6th pick in the draft.  The likely spot to target is the Colts at #3, but the Jets won't be the only team looking there.  And as I've said in several other recent spots in this thread, I want Josh Allen (Wyoming) and not the other guys being touted as 1st-round picks.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, skidmarkgn said:

Is Blair Walsh fired yet?  How about now?  Maybe now?  How about now?  Fitting the Seahawks lose because he choked... again.

I’d be shocked if anyone takes him, imo his nfl career is done. I wonder if the money saved was worth it

1 hour ago, Pokey said:

I’d be shocked if anyone takes him, imo his nfl career is done. I wonder if the money saved was worth it

they lost 4 games at home this year.

One was the Redskins game where he missed 3 field goals, they lost by 3.  Another was the Falcons game where he shorted a kick that would have tied the game when the clock expired, then there was today, where he missed a chip shot that would have given them the lead with less than 30 seconds to go.  So no, he absolutely wasn't worth the money they saved.  The guy's a train wreck every time there's any amount pressure and he doesn't belong in the league.

• Like 1

hmmm...  not such a great year year, waking up to find your team will be resting.  There will be a lot of changes coming.  Bennett thinks hes out, but hes not work cutting yet.  After this year his contract makes him very cuttable.  Carroll doesn't think hell retire, but either way the team is going to have to rebuild.  they have no cap space and everyone is aging.  Expect trades and cuts.  Hopefully there will be some turnover on the offensive side.  the old way of running it hasnt worked for a while.  Dump all those worthless rbs.  Don't resign Graham, unless he takes a nice pay cut (he wont).  Get me a new kicker!  Spend money on a OL!  Trade some older LOBers for young blood/draft picks.  Their paychecks are suffocating, even if they are still productive (when they can stay on the field).

I guess I'm rutting for Jacksonville and Rams?  Also wouldn't mind Buffalo and Atlanta doing well...

Full disclosure:  151- 105  not bad considering so many rough weeks, but still not great.

13 hours ago, skidmarkgn said:

Is Blair Walsh fired yet?  How about now?  Maybe now?  How about now?  Fitting the Seahawks lose because he choked... again.

Walsh must be fired today. Losing so many games because of him is unacceptable. I can't believe they released Hauschka last year because of some extra points missed (most blocked and bad long snaps by Nolan Freese, now released and properly replaced by Tyler Ott) and just a game tied because of him missing in OT.

Walsh missed to tie vs Atlanta and missed 3 vs Washington. I hope SEA signs a couple of kickers in training camp to compete for the job next season.

2 hours ago, Cassylvania said:

Well, I'll be rooting for a Bills/Vikings Super Bowl, even though I know that's a long shot. Skol Vikes! :D

The Bills already won their Super Bowl.  It's called "making it into the playoffs for the first time in nearly two decades", even if it took Baltimore not playing defense on a 4th-and-Whatever to make the miracle happen.  Bills fans have been making a ton of $17 donations to Andy Dalton's charity foundation as a thank you.

That being said, what sort of miracle might it take for the Bengals to win a playoff game?  Might "peace in the Middle East" be a more attainable goal?  ?

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, acasser said:

The Bills already won their Super Bowl.  It's called "making it into the playoffs for the first time in nearly two decades", even if it took Baltimore not playing defense on a 4th-and-Whatever to make the miracle happen.  Bills fans have been making a ton of $17 donations to Andy Dalton's charity foundation as a thank you.

That being said, what sort of miracle might it take for the Bengals to win a playoff game?  Might "peace in the Middle East" be a more attainable goal?  1f60e.png

It'll take seeing the Lions win one first xD or not making bonehead plays late in the game ? and that really is a great thing bills fans have been doing, the bills also plan on sending wings to the bengals too as a thank you 

On 12/29/2017 at 9:00 PM, acasser said:

I mean, if I'm the Jets and I can do it for the Seattle pick they got in the Sheldon Richardson deal, I'd strongly consider doing that.  Because I'm not sold on either Josh Rosen or Sam Darnold and I want nothing to do with Baker Mayfield -- Mayfield screams "Johnny Manziel" to me and we saw how well that one worked out.  And I suspect that the Jets would have to move up to get Josh Allen and said price could very easily be a 1st-round pick in 2019.

Well, after watching the Rose Bowl yesterday, I would agree that I wouldn't want my team to pick Baker Mayfield in the draft. He's pretty much a chump. His antics are similar to Manziel's, which seem to backfire for his team as it just fires up the opposing defense. One difference between Mayfield and Manziel though is their off-the-field behavior, which Manziel set to such a high partying drugging/drinking level that even Jim Morrison would question. I agree with going with Allen, maybe he's the next Carson Wentz.

My team has the opposite QB problem. Too many of them! Lol! I assume Bradford is gone with shaky health issues and an enormous salary cap hit. So it comes down to Teddy and Keenum. Case is a playmaker/ chain-mover that makes everyone around him better. He throws to 6-10 different receivers a game so defenses can't just double-team the stars. He has pocket-savy and can detect pressure and escape. Kudos to GM Spielman to realize we needed an emergency QB on the roster, who now might become the franchise's guy.

Then there's Teddy. Fan base absolutely loves him and the Vikes seem loyal to him. But he's had a long time off from football and to be honest, Keenum does a better job as a similar-style QB. Of course, teams could probably get Teddy cheap, which is not usually the case for a starting QB on the free-agent market.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, PerryToxteth said:

My team has the opposite QB problem. Too many of them! Lol! I assume Bradford is gone with shaky health issues and an enormous salary cap hit. So it comes down to Teddy and Keenum. Case is a playmaker/ chain-mover that makes everyone around him better. He throws to 6-10 different receivers a game so defenses can't just double-team the stars. He has pocket-savy and can detect pressure and escape. Kudos to GM Spielman to realize we needed an emergency QB on the roster, who now might become the franchise's guy.

Then there's Teddy. Fan base absolutely loves him and the Vikes seem loyal to him. But he's had a long time off from football and to be honest, Keenum does a better job as a similar-style QB. Of course, teams could probably get Teddy cheap, which is not usually the case for a starting QB on the free-agent market.

My guess is it's going to come down to how well the Vikings do in the playoffs. If Case leads them to a Super Bowl victory (and let's face it: he's NOT just going along for the ride... this guy has been a cornerstone to their success all season), I think he's their future. If he regresses, they might go back to Teddy. But I think the next one, two, or three games will be the deciding factor.

I agree with you about Bradford. Given his injury history, I think he's the odd man out.

• Like 1

On 1/1/2018 at 0:44 PM, MidnightDragon said:

What surprised me the most is that Marvin Lewis was "supposed" to walk away from his gig in Cincy, only to see management give him an extension! That man has some unusual luck.